• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFXV's future updates adjust chapters, add cutscenes, add playable characters, more

Just got to the beginning of Chapter 13 and now I see they are going to improve it. I wish I had saved on 12 so that I could travel back to the open world...I don't even have that option now so I am literally stuck waiting for this patch if I want to experience the improved chapter 13. Sigh.

SubbieD

Its annoying to me because my guess is this might SE's testing the waters to see if this will be accepted.

XV is a structural mess. There are people who can look past it and see the excellent points in the game, but that's the case.

And now they are trying to release post content to bandaid the game into less of a structural mess.

Its a good thing for them to try and fix parts of the game that have faltered, but its not a good thing when such a thing should not have been the case at launch to start with, that is the kind of thing your supposed to have already addressed during basic development when your making the game.

They are not just making extra DLC, they are adding entire story cut scenes, quest missions and whole contents around the current game just to make the game's story elements narrative structure and chapter pacing make basic sense. That's ridiculous and unacceptable.

This is an unfortunate side affect of fanboyism taking hold and making false accusations. Nobody cares about Versus in this thread, but the end product and what SE should be prioritizing for their development pipeline.

Nobody is talking about Tabata either but SE as a publisher rushing games out before they are done

Dunno how good Google Translate is, but NOWHERE is it mentioned that extra quest missions and major content will be added. If anything there'll be cosmetic additions, a few more cutscenes, and basic tweaks.

The game is amazing right now, if they're making it better, i'll play it again!

Sohail

Neo Member
Just got to the beginning of Chapter 13 and now I see they are going to improve it. I wish I had saved on 12 so that I could travel back to the open world...I don't even have that option now so I am literally stuck waiting for this patch if I want to experience the improved chapter 13. Sigh.

There is an inn at the rightside of the map, you have to go down some stairs, call umbra and you can travel back to the past.

Its near the lvl 72 monster.

There is an inn at the rightside of the map, you have to go down some stairs, call umbra and you can travel back to the past.

Its near the lvl 72 monster.

I got some message at the beginning of 13 that said I can't call Umbra...is that irrelevant if I get to the inn?

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Well damn. I guess it worked out well that I don't have time to play this game till January cause of my job.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Was watching WWE's Austin Creed playing FFXV earlier, and then he hit "that chapter."

Man, he got frustrated, and spent something like 40 minutes looking for a place to save, cause he needed to end the stream. He ended the stream before he ever found the next save room.

I'm legit surprised this isn't a joke thread this is shockingly bad and that's even with my already very negative impression of se already

Was watching WWE's Austin Creed playing FFXV earlier, and then he hit "that chapter."

Man, he got frustrated, and spent something like 40 minutes looking for a place to save, cause he needed to end the stream. He ended the stream before he ever found the next save room.

That's unfortunate. They give you save points (bedrooms) every 10-15 minutes if you keep progressing.

Reset

So when are these extra cutscenes going to be patched. Wondering if I should start the game now or wait a month or two for the balancing patch at least.

Skux

You get forced into using a weapon that plays differently than any of your others, and its a long chapter.

It didnt bother me at all, you should assume that every post you see about FFXV on this board is extreme hyperbole. Look at this thread, filled with posts about "half finished game" when it got 8's and 9's.

Well it can still be a great unfinished game. Look at MGSV.

I hope this is a reference to Colin from Kinda Funny.

I found Colin tweets about this whole situation to be kinda funny.

edit: that was not intentional god dammit..

If they reveal that it's months away we can definitely confirm that they aren't adding just 3-5 mins' worth

We can't really confirm that since they're also working on optimizing the PS4Pro version of the game, and the DLC packs.

theofficefan99

So when are these extra cutscenes going to be patched. Wondering if I should start the game now or wait a month or two for the banking patched at least.

If they reveal that it's months away we can definitely confirm that they aren't adding just 3-5 mins' worth

Mario007

I'm legit surprised this isn't a joke thread this is shockingly bad and that's even with my already very negative impression of se already

Again the fact that the game's story and pacing aren't good is bad.

The fact that SE acknowledged this and will spend extra resources to fix this for free is downright AMAZING.

Again the fact that the game's story and pacing aren't good is bad.

The fact that SE acknowledged this and will spend extra resources to fix this for free is downright AMAZING.

It shows that while they very clearly made a mistake they're willing to correct this mistake the best they can. Can't say a lot of other companies would do that.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
That's unfortunate. They give you save points (bedrooms) every 10-15 minutes if you keep progressing.

I think his problem, is on his maps, not all the icons are turned on, and he doesn't see the "bed" icon.

He was running through it while I was commuting home, and I caught the tail end of it, with the highest amount of frustration coming out of him about it all.

He was also just blazing through this part of the game, without really talking to anyone else that didn't have "Main quest destination" icons.

I think his problem, is on his maps, not all the icons are turned on, and he doesn't see the "bed" icon.

He was running through it while I was commuting home, and I caught the tail end of it, with the highest amount of frustration coming out of him about it all.

He was also just blazing through this part of the game, without really talking to anyone else that didn't have "Main quest destination" icons.

Ohhh, that would do it. I think I ran into like 6 save points in the 1-2 hours of that chapter. Feel bad for em.

Sohail

Neo Member
I got some message at the beginning of 13 that said I can't call Umbra...is that irrelevant if I get to the inn?

Oh wait.. I think I am confusing some chapters..
Sorry about that !
The area I was talking about is in Ch 15 I think..
Really sorry about that !

Diablos

Chapter 13 was a mistake. What the hell were they thinking?? I get Infinite Undiscovery vibes playing it. Not sure what patching the chapter will do to improve this. They should just scrap it and add cutscenes followed by a boss fight. It's that bad.

Jimrpg

That's awesome, feel sorry for the people who didn't like the game as it was at launch though.

It's just best to wait for a GOTY edition 1 year down the line for most big titles.

Socivol

Haha... wow i didn't even see this.. it's free so why the fuck not? he needs to chill.

The thing I don't understand is that SE used to do Final Mix and "International" versions where they added stuff EXACTLY like this and then charged you for a game again. Were those games considered half-baked? If I remember correctly, American fans were often pissed they couldn't buy those games and this is a free update.

Would it have been nice for this to be in the game from the get go, of course but without this the game would still be complete so I don't understand the reasoning. It isn't like FF XIII-2's DLC episode with Lighting where the game was literally lacking an ending.

jimmypython

If only SE would translate them, then again these are huge books only so many people will read.

Yep if only.

I bought Omega for XII, XIII, XIII-2. Ultimania for XII International and Type-0.

The interviews, lore explanations and little secrets (aka the "only I know" segments) were very interesting, not to mention the artworks.

The XIII ones were filled with artworks of cut content. It was ridiculous.

So hope XV will announce the Omega version eventually. I believe they have already announced two Ultimania guides (battle and story). But those are more of guides, less about secrets.

Garlador

The thing I don't understand is that SE used to do Final Mix and "International" versions where they added stuff EXACTLY like this and then charged you for a game again. Were those games considered half-baked? If I remember correctly, American fans were often pissed they couldn't buy those games and this is a free update.

Would it have been nice for this to be in the game from the get go, of course but without this the game would still be complete so I don't understand the reasoning. It isn't like FF XIII-2's DLC episode with Lighting where the game was literally lacking an ending.

For the umpteenth time, those International and Final Mixes added extra stuff to games that already felt "complete". It was like getting a fully satisfying meal and then the extra stuff they added later was like a nice little dessert.

THIS is a case where the game itself as a main course feels half-baked and underdeveloped. They aren't releasing "extra" content in this case; they're going back to address and fix problems with the CORE GAME.

How are people not seeing this? I mean, I'm happy they're fixing it, but comparing a few Dark Aeon fights and a teaser for FFX-2 in FFX International isn't the same as going back into the guts of the main game to add in content, features, story, and character development that was clearly missing the first time around.

This isn't adding extra to the game so much as it is plugging holes, reworking unbalanced sections of gameplay, and filling gaps in the narrative, precisely because the base game itself has so many shortcomings.

jimmypython

For the umpteenth time, those International and Final Mixes added extra stuff to games that already felt "complete". It was like getting a fully satisfying meal and then the extra stuff they added later was like a nice little dessert.

THIS is a case where the game itself as a main course feels half-baked and underdeveloped. They aren't releasing "extra" content in this case; they're going back to address and fix problems with the CORE GAME.

How are people not seeing this? I mean, I'm happy they're fixing it, but comparing a few Dark Aeon fights and a teaser for FFX-2 in FFX International isn't the same as going back into the guts of the main game to add in content, features, story, and character development that was clearly missing the first time around.

This isn't adding extra to the game so much as it is plugging holes, reworking unbalanced sections of gameplay, and filling gaps in the narrative, precisely because the base game itself has so many shortcomings.

Pretty much this.

Dante

I don't mind this, I'd just wish they'd be more clear about the actual dates they are aiming for. I'm now confused and wondering if I should shelve the game and return to it later, or keep playing at a slower pace catching up on side quests.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

Are you comparing what largely amounted to gameplay updates and extra bosses and such to making a story less of a cluster feck?

Never has what we are describing ever been in an FF game.

theofficefan99

I don't mind this, I'd just wish they'd be more clear about the actual dates they are aiming for. I'm now confused and wondering if I should shelve the game and return to it later, or keep playing at a slower pace catching up on side quests.

I think we'll get ballpark estimates within a week or two, I guess.

FFXII really could have used this, too.

It's nowhere near the same thing, TBH. XII, while, yes, characters were pretty thin and the plot was rather meh, it was complete. Only thing missing was Penelo's backstory and that was cut from the game for some odd reason (that CG cutscene of her dancing in some forest was removed). It definitely felt like a complete package, and the presentation in the main story was phenomenal just like all other FF's.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
It's nowhere near the same thing, TBH. XII, while, yes, characters were pretty thin and the plot was rather meh, it was complete. Only thing missing was Penelo's backstory and that was cut from the game for some odd reason (that CG cutscene of her dancing in some forest was removed). It definitely felt like a complete package, and the presentation in the main story was phenomenal just like all other FF's.

It feels like a ton of storyline content is either missing or scaled back considerably once I hit the second half of the game.

theofficefan99

Have they given an exact timeline?

Kind of annoying...I have the game and don't even want to progress anymore until it's patched.

Same here. If the main story changes/additions are somewhat significant, I'm definitely waiting. If it's just like less than 10 mins worth of some in-game cutscenes and slight modifications to Chapter 13, I might still wait a couple months, then continue my playthrough.

It feels like a ton of storyline content is either missing or scaled back considerably once I hit the second half of the game.

Well IIRC the second half of the game had a different writer... but again, totally different scenarios. There were no flat-out missing scenarios in the main story or missing cutscenes, nor was the presentation lacking. And the second "half" of the game didn't take 5 hours.

Seriously, though XII's narrative isn't very strong, at least IMO, it doesn't even come close to the amount of issues XV's main story has.

Celeras

Banned
I think XV is currently a complete game and find assertions that it isn't ridiculous. If a vague narrative required Patches to "fix" than the entire Souls series would be kicked off a cliff.

It shows that while they very clearly made a mistake they're willing to correct this mistake the best they can. Can't say a lot of other companies would do that.

I mean, isn't it a little hard to believe that this wasn't already in the pipeline? The game came out a week ago and they've already digested fan feedback and have significant improvements in the works that will be out soon? For a game that took 10 years to make? I call bullshit on that. It seems like just another case of a game releasing unfinished (which increasingly is a GOOD move for studios, because then they get goodwill from consumers for "fixing" it).

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I think XV is currently a complete game and find assertions that it isn't ridiculous. If a vague narrative required Patches to "fix" than the entire Souls series would be kicked off a cliff.

Comparing a story based franchise like FF to Souls makes no sense.

duckroll

But it's all perspective. If the people making the game indicate that they feel a game is complete and what they intended, people can agree or disagree but there is a level of confidence being exhibited. If the developers themselves seem desperate to communicate to fans that they are trying to improve aspects of the game as quickly as possible via patches, and to add more cutscenes to "clarify the story" in their own words, what sort of message does that send? So no, the assertions that FFXV is an incomplete game are not ridiculous, what is ridiculous is the mixed messages the development team has been sending since before the release of the game. If the creators are so unsure of their own vision, why should fans have any confidence?

mollipen

Haha, come on dude... there's nowhere near that much that needs fixings

A few cutscenes.
A few lines of dialogue here and there.
Cut c13 in half.

That's it, literally.

A few cutscene and lines of dialog won't come close to fixing the mess of a story. It would need way more help than that, not only in how it's fleshed out, but in how it's told period. And that would do nothing for the structural and pacing issues the game then has. Or the fact that parts of the game do absolutely feel like they had chunks pulled out or were simply left incomplete. Or fixing Chapter 13 which won't at all be fixed by weapon balancing, and simply cutting it in half is the laziest and worst "fix" you could do.

Then you've got stuff like the stupid "stealth mode" movement, the bad AI at times, the fact that the danger/max HP loss system turns a lot of fights into constant item spamming and/or leaving your teammates dead being the better option, and more.

If you like the game, awesome, that's good. But there's so much in this game that really should be fixed.

Top Bottom