• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFXV's future updates adjust chapters, add cutscenes, add playable characters, more

The1Ski

Could someone point me in the direction to see/hear about the "worst chapter in FF history"? I don't care about spoilers but I'm just curious about what made it so bad!

Elios83

Now that I've finished the game all the drama made a few days ago about the cutscenes they are going to add, looks even more pointless to me.
Adding a few scenes next year won't fix the problems of chapter 13, it won't remake the final part of the game giving us a playable/explorable Tenebrea, Gralea and Insomnia which is what the game deserved.
You either accept the game for the things it does well and for its missed opportunities as well or just move on IMO.
It's good that they are embracing a western development model where a game is supported and improved for a lot of time after release instead of simply wrapping everything up and move on to the next project. This was unconceivable for a japanese developer not long ago, it signals a major cultural shift in game development for them and should be appreciated.

Could someone point me in the direction to see/hear about the "worst chapter in FF history"? I don't care about spoilers but I'm just curious about what made it so bad!

it's not spectacularly bad.. it's just bad gameplay compared to prior chapters and it lasts longer than chapters that were better/more fun.

They take away your weapons, your magic powers and your party members and give you a magic ring (the ring of the Lucii) that has 3 spells.. and they give you some enemies that you're expected to run/hide from. after a while I stopped hiding and just used the ring's magic to fight them. basically they tried to do a survival horror/metal gear sneaking thing. it would have been spectacularly bad if the stealth had been forced, but it wasn't, thankfully.

cLOUDo

Remember MGS when you has to advancing finding an access card?
Imagine something similar but more boring/frustrating, you need to update an access card to level 7!
Without weapons and magic, just a ring that do a instakill on enemies, but doesn't work fine in harder enemies, takes too much time make the spell

Zakalwe

Banned
it's not spectacularly bad.. it's just bad gameplay compared to prior chapters and it lasts longer than chapters that were better/more fun.

They take away your weapons, your magic powers and your party members and give you a magic ring (the ring of the Lucii) that has 3 spells.. and they give you some enemies that you're expected to run/hide from. after a while I stopped hiding and just used the ring's magic to fight them. basically they tried to do a survival horror/metal gear sneaking thing. it would have been spectacularly bad if the stealth had been forced, but it wasn't, thankfully.

You're neglecting to mention the chapter's strengths:

Some effective atmosphere, a decent amount of exposition, and a couple of acrually rad boss encounters.

The stuff in between isn't bad mechanically, it's just very poorly paced which makes it a chore. If they cut it in half it would be a decent chapter imo.

Remember MGS when you has to advancing finding an access card?
Imagine something similar but more boring/frustrating, you need to update an access card to level 7!
Without weapons and magic, just a ring that do a instakill on enemies, but doesn't work fine in harder enemies, takes too much time make the spell
Wha? I killed every enemy with the ring , even the huge guys. They respawn though. Don't get the hate for this chapter... I thought it was a nice change of pace

Zakalwe

Banned
Wha? I killed every enemy with the ring , even the huge guys. They respawn though. Don't get the hate for this chapter... I thought it was a nice change of pace

That's quite amusing since the pacing of the chapter is probably the biggest complaint.

It outstayed its welcome by at least 25%, possibly half. I like the mechanics but the bland environments and repetitive gameplay in the middle sections drone on far too long.

Thank you for playing Final Fantasy XV. Final Fantasy XV was able to achieve an amazing accomplishment, shipping 5 million copies worldwide on the release day. I would like to express my gratitude for everyone that has purchased it.

Currently I have heard many players around the world enjoying themselves. Players are pleased to be enjoying this new Final Fantasy, as well as the staff, we are really happy.
We’ve promised before launching the game that Final Fantasy needed to be complete before it was released. We will continue to update and we are planning to provide a more rich gaming experience to all players around the world. As a gratitude for exceeding 5 million copies, I’ve decided to strengthen the update plan considerably beyond the original plan and inform you of a concrete road map.

"We made a deal with the higher ups at Squeenix to let us keep working on the game if we agreed to ship it by a certain date and were able to ship a certain number of units. Game design is hard, especially when you have to right a messy ship midway through its course. The team has worked hard throughout and while we are pleased with what we were able to achieve, there is still more we wanted to do but ran out of time."

Final Fantasy XV Update Roadmap

Short-term goals
First, we will update the experience of Chapter 13’s gameplay. For that reason, we are undertaking many enhancements such as increasing the power of the ring’s magic. We will inform you of the details of updated content at a later time.

"Yeah, we knew that 13 was not fun to play, but we had to do it to get the game to the ending we wanted in the tame frame we had left. Its too late to change it in any significant capacity but we can at least make the combat aspect less of a chore so we will do that"

Mid-term goals
Updating the production of the second half of the game, further enhancing the experience of the story. For example, we are planning to add event scenes where “What happened to Ravus?” was from. In addition to the event scenes, voice responses and localization work to all languages will occur so we will work firmly on this as a mid-term goal. Details of the plan will be announced once it’s decided.

"Now that we have hit both of the mentioned targets, we can spend additional time going back and reintroducing stuff we had to cut or just were able to get done as we wanted to hit our shipping date. We had to make a lot of changes and I know some stuff doesn't make sense. We will try to add some content to give things more context."

Long-term goals
We will make it possible to use important characters that appeared in the main game as playable characters. We will also consider adding an avatar system to create original characters. In addition to this, we will continue to actively update so that various players can enjoy Final Fantasy XV for a long time.

"We are already working on playable characters/movesets for our co-op DLC + Chocobro DLCs — so we will try and backport some of that into characters that are already in the game."

Others
After clearing the game, you can carry your progress into a New Game. Finishing it at a low level, an invincible suit, we will offer various items that extend the range of play. Fonts displayed can be enlarged for easier reading.
For the already announced DLC, it is planned to be released as originally intended.

"We will be introducing some QoL fixes over the course of the game, and eventually a new game plus. When its all done there will probably be an FFXV directors cut with all the stuff included. Please be excited."

jb1234

It's worth noting that you're only stuck with the ring for the first third, which I considered by far the worst segment of the game. After that, you get a sword and it becomes much more tolerable, even if it goes on for too long and the level design is static at best.

Weird that they announced this, but there's definitely precedent. The Witcher 1 & 2, and Divinity OS all had enhanced editions come out that were free for original owners.

To me it means I just won't buy FF15 until the "enhanced edition" comes out.

It's worth noting that you're only stuck with the ring for the first third, which I considered by far the worst segment of the game. After that, you get a sword and it becomes much more tolerable, even if it goes on for too long and the level design is static at best.

The ring section is incredibly easy if you just Dodge. Every close proximity phase inflicts a ton of damage on enemies. Not only that, but it staggers the enemy, giving you time to inflict death. You can pretty much hold square the same way you can hold circle in most basic fights.

"Fundamentally broken?" How so? I didn't have a single issue with it. I've seen people complain about the linearity, but the mechanics work just fine.

I think what they might be getting at is that a lot of people's problems with chapter 13 are inherent to its structure.

i.e. One of the main issues people have with it is that it's too long and drags at times, and has a lot of fakeout endings. Stuff like that can't simply be patched out but would require redesigning things.

But yeah, I definitely think it's not as be-all end-all terrible as some hype it out to be. It's just kind of a slog at times.

Ludens

Banned
Sorry for the bump, but I have a question: what happened to the mid-term goal?
We got Verse 2, with a very small cutscene about Ravus and nothing else. But chapter XIII tuning was part of the short-term goal, also in the mid-term statement is stated the Ravus thing is just one of the changes of the second half of the game.

We know Tabata wants to do something with Ardyn and Luna, but he also talked about filling plot holes with dlcs, so...this mid-term goal is still a thing, it will come for free, as paid dlc or what?

TheCed

Sorry for the bump, but I have a question: what happened to the mid-term goal?
We got Verse 2, with a very small cutscene about Ravus and nothing else. But chapter XIII tuning was part of the short-term goal, also in the mid-term statement is stated the Ravus thing is just one of the changes of the second half of the game.

We know Tabata wants to do something with Ardyn and Luna, but he also talked about filling plot holes with dlcs, so...this mid-term goal is still a thing, it will come for free, as paid dlc or what?

Nothing has been confirmed yet.
I'd wait for TGS for some news.

Top Bottom