• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA 18 on Switch accounted for 1% of all UK physical copies sold

E-phonk

Banned
50,000 is a very unrealistic target, only titles like Mario Kart 8 Deluxe or The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild can do that and not by much, but it should have definitely done much better than barely 8,000 units, also Switch install base is far from half a million units. To put things into perspective FIFA 14 sold more than double one week before PlayStation 4 was released.
Just to make it clear (I edited) I didn't mean by launch, but for 2017.

If retailers saw enough demand for the Switch version EA would have shipped more. There is more to it then just saying well EA should have printed more copies.

It wasn't open for preorder. So where would this magical demand come from?

Bazry

It's invalid to conclude that the sales were a success because it is sold out: EA doesn't get to choose how many units they ship, but the retailers decide. EA could want to ship many more, but the retailers won't take the units, so EA could have their expectations be too high while at the same time the game is sold out. On the other side, you can't conclude that the game flopped because it sold 8k when it is sold out as you can't rule out that EA was expecting something like this 8k number for the first week. We need to wait and see for the full picture.

As I posted above, Amazon is blaming the supplier

Note: Please note, due to stock limitations from the supplier we are unable to deliver any further orders of FIFA 18 - Nintendo Switch for release date. We expect to deliver orders placed today by October 13th, and will confirm an exact release date as soon as possible. If you've already placed an order for this product please check “My Orders” to confirm your expected delivery date.

Kind of sucks, but yeah, supply issues are a lower install base make it a little less awful. Still, go figure that this was EA's "test game" and Nintendo's relationship with EA since last generation has been a tragedy.

ksamedi

It's invalid to conclude that the sales were a success because it is sold out: EA doesn't get to choose how many units they ship, but the retailers decide. EA could want to ship many more, but the retailers won't take the units, so EA could have their expectations be too high while at the same time the game is sold out. On the other side, you can't conclude that the game flopped because it sold 8k when it is sold out as you can't rule out that EA was expecting something like this 8k number for the first week. We need to wait and see for the full picture.

EA could also have trouble obtaining enough stock from Nintendo. There is a cart manufacturing limit. So a possible scneario could be that EA did get more orders but could not deliver due to cart manifacturing limitations.

tzare

It might be the nr1 third party game that doesn't star mario for 2017 in the UK, for what that's worth.

It did.
http://www.chart-track.co.uk/index....p&ct=110032&arch=t&lyr=2017&year=2017&week=39

it may be, time will tell, but FIFA beats almost everything else on other consoles, and if it does not beat most Nintendo games well, when is the best 3rd party game on any platform...i don't know what that may mean regarding 3rd party support, especially EA, of course.

How has it sold compared to arms, splatoon, zelda, mario&rabbids?

Zedark

As I posted above, Amazon is blaming the supplier

Oh, I see. I read past that for some reason. In that case, logic dictates that EA shipped too little, and as a result, the game must have passed their expectations. It's still possible that they adjusted their expectations down from an initial higher expectations due to low preorders (however, as some mention, the game was available for preorder for only a week before launch), but that doesn't seem like the logical stance to take.

It's very curious that they shipped so little, wonder what's up with that.

Edit:
EA could also have trouble obtaining enough stock from Nintendo. There is a cart manufacturing limit. So a possible scneario could be that EA did get more orders but could not deliver due to cart manifacturing limitations.
Yeah, that's a possibility. Have we heard previous reports about this happening? We have seen several other games go out of stock (Lego City: undercover in UK, Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 in Japan), so this could be the reason.

Si2k78

You couldn't preorder the switch version until very recently, and it was out of stock at Amazon & other major online stores immediately.

But yeah, we are in denial.

He has access to UK sales figures as he works for gameindustry.biz, so yeah.

Cool

Woo-Fu

Banned
FIFA seems like a really poor fit for Switch to begin with. Your potential market is FIFA fans who only own a Switch. At first glance that would seem to me to be a really, really small segment of the market.

Lylo

UK =/= rest of the world. I'm not surprised for it doing poorly on UK, they haven't been very supportive os Nintendo consoles for a long time now. I'm more interested on the numbers of other territories.

Kill3r7

If EA is using a sports game as a barometer than support might as well be dead.

It is the biggest release in the UK for a long time now. If you do not reach individuals with the most popular mass market game then what hope is there for your less well known titles?

LordRaptor

Or deliberately undershipped physically, because from all accounts the margins on Switch physical are worse than other platforms physical, making digital sales a much more attractive proposition on Switch than even other consoles.

It is the biggest release in the UK for a long time now. If you do not reach individuals with the most popular mass market game then what hope is there for your less well known titles?

I understand what you're saying but in another more particular part of the world where FIFA is better known as soccer it seems dumb for EA to judge support for the Switch on a soccer port.

If we get these same numbers for Skyrim and DOOM then I'll concede to your point.

Let's say there were no stock issues, how much more than 8000 copies could it have sold according to you?
Of course, no one really knows. The point a lot of people are making is that the sales (low as it is) seems to be within or exceeding retailers and EA’s expectations.

Si2k78

I understand what you're saying but in another more particular part of the world where FIFA is better known as soccer it seems dumb for EA to judge support for the Switch on a soccer port.

If we get these same numbers for Skyrim and DOOM then I'll concede to your point.

Not gonna happen, those two games have the benefit of exceptional marketing and fan/industry buzz. On top of that, those two titles will have the benefit of being a 1:1 feature-wise port. FIFA was known to be gimped and the lesser of all the versions.

10%, seriously? I bet if every Switch owner in the UK bought a copy of it, it still wouldn't be 10%

If every Switch owner bought a copy you'd be looking at ~30%

This is an extremely disappointing result for the Switch version. It's Vita / Wii U level.

Kill3r7

I think Skyrim will sell well. I have little hope for DOOM. Although, I would be very happy if I were wrong.

UK is no big Switch market anyway, and the Switch version was sold out.

So not much conclusion someone could draw from this 1% information. Let's wait a few weeks.

But let be honest, Switch version has no journey mode and uses technically an "old engine" and lacks some core features. Not because its lacking power (Fifa really don't need much power anyway, there is nothing going on that needs much CPU power) but because the port had only a little budget.

After this information got out it was clear that Fifa Switch was an afterthought from EA, and they clearly don't wanted it to succeed (or don't care). Otherwise it would got a bigger budget from the beginning to make a Frostbite port to Switch and could use smaller budgets for the successors, because porting would be easier from this base on.

If every Switch owner bought a copy you'd be looking at ~30%

This is an extremely disappointing result for the Switch version. It's Vita / Wii U level.

Not able to preorder until a week before release leads to retailers not able to gauge demand.

EA ships low amount of copies

Just about all retailers appear to be sold out, waiting for more copies from EA

IDK, sounds like EA wasn't expecting good sales and didn't try to gauge demand, shipped too few of copies and the game is no completely sold out. Cant really judge anything about this other than EA heavily underestimated demand.

The game was Sold Out.... And looks like is doing really well digitally. Not the same situation at all.

It wasn't sold out given there are still copies at retail.

Digital numbers are of course missing. That being said, even if the game had a 100% digital share, it wouldn't make a material difference.

Things are different this time though. The Switch is not the Wii U or Vita. I can see EA putting out FIFA 19. But it's clear that FIFA 18 Switch is just replacing the lost sales from the Vita / Wii U versions of past games.

There's almost no chance of that being the case. A cart manufacturing limit? Come on guys. How many copies do you think EA was asking for? Millions?! If there are supply issues it's because they underestimated demand

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
UK =/= rest of the world. I'm not surprised for it doing poorly on UK, they haven't been very supportive os Nintendo consoles for a long time now. I'm more interested on the numbers of other territories.
UK and Nintendo is not an anomaly a big as XBox and Japan, but there's no denying Nintendo enjoy way better sales in other big markets.

Portugeezer

FIFA is a very social game, you get the version your friends get, more people have PS4 and XB1 they won't change within 6 months of Switch launch.

It is also lacking some modes, which doesn't help, but 1% would still be tens of thousands of sales in the long run (in the UK)

It wasn't sold out given there are still copies at retail.

Digital numbers are of course missing. That being said, even if the game had a 100% digital share, it wouldn't make a material difference.

Things are different this time though. The Switch is not the Wii U or Vita. I can see EA putting out FIFA 19. But it's clear that FIFA 18 Switch is just replacing the lost sales from the Vita / Wii U versions of past games.
Did you have any proof of that? At least in Spain the game is sold out and some retailers even delayed the release. So i can expect the same situation is happening in UK.
Also GAME have the game delayed too.
0513099327372939cb03cf4d22bcfe67o.png

Did you have any proof of that? At least in Spain the game is sold out and some retailers even delayed the release. So i can expect the same situation is happening in UK.
Also GAME have the game delayed too.

Since when was Spain the UK?

It's still available to order in the UK from retailers not called Amazon.

Goodlife

People trying to defend these sales by saying stock issues seem to be in denial. Shipments are based on demand. Considering U.K. Is one of Nintendo's weak market, it is understandable that there might be not too much demand to begin with.

It sold around 8310 copies so even if the shipment was three times higher we are looking at 25 to 30k for a million sales franchise in U.K. which is just not good. Let's see if there are long legs if not ea might just make a couple of low quality efforts like they did with vita and calling it legacy edition before abandoning.

What????

In what world does this post make sense

Since when was Spain the UK?

It's still available to order in the UK from retailers not called Amazon.

According to people in this thread that's not true. It's sold out at a number of different retailers, including GAME and Argos. That doesn't mean none of those stores have it, just some of them are sold out.

That doesn't usually happen in general if a game isn't outperforming retailer/publisher expectations.

Not surprised. FIFA is popular on PS4/Xbox One.
And big 3rd party games other than few exceptions don't sell on Nintendo consoles.

It's sold out... But it's just 1%.

The OT title could be Switch's Fifa is sold out and it would be true too.
How to spin awful news, brought to you by the Hermit. Wow, there's lots of these kinds of posts lol.. Can someone make a list of all these posts for week two?

Richie

Considering the result of passing the test might have been a steady stream of lackluster EA Sports ports maybe failing is the better path.

That said, nobody should have expected anything else, least of all EA.

What's gonna be interesting is how EA proceeds if FIFA sales aren't satisfactory but every other third party title's are.

E-phonk

Banned
And big 3rd party games other than few exceptions don't sell on Nintendo consoles.
You need to be more specific or you are wrong: Big 3rd party games by western publishers that are released late don't sell on Nintendo consoles.

Otherwise Atlus, Capcom, Bandai, Sega, Konami (who each have multi millionsellers on 3DS/DS/WII/WIIU) and several indies would like to have a word with you.

Top Bottom