• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Dec 29 - Jan 4 | 2015: An Esports Odyssey

pixelish

I nominate me

Also, dunno if it was posted, but r/kappa is being classy as usual with a post about restreaming the Canada Cup Masters Series

At least most people seem to be sort of condemning it. Sort of

thanks for reminding me that the master series is happening next week. are any of you planning to pay $15 to watch the tournament?

AAK

Dang, thanks for the nominations guys. you need it done before Sunday finishes right? Yeah I can get it done.

.la1n

I won't even pay $15 for a movie.

I just rented a movie for the first time in a while, it was $4.99 and painful to do. So yeah, no way in hell I'm paying $15 for a fighting game tournament stream that will more than likely go down several times and look like butt.

thanks for reminding me that the master series is happening next week. are any of you planning to pay $15 to watch the tournament?

I will, I support this idea. They aren't the norm and when someone goes out of there way to put together a event like this then I think it's fair to charge a fee. Now it's up to the community(outside of Japan anyways) to decide if they're ready for it.

The Light

Theater tickets cost $15? The last time I went to a theater was to see that movie with Cedric the entertainer going to a family reunion. I think I paid $10, but that was a while back so don't really remember.

pixelish

If I wasn't running low on money I probably would but as it is now, no.

Who's supposed to be there even?

Snake Eyez, Louffy, Xian, Daigo, Kazunoko, Xiaohai, Pepeday and the winner from a qualifier tournament held the day before the series.

I will consider subbing after I hear about the stream quality first. CCup production isn't that great from what I've remembered.

Man Juri is so good.

Not using her but playing against her.. her options are crazy.

You have a character that has:

One of the best zoning games
Gains tons of meter off of doing non charged fireballs
A dive kick that can punish fireballs full screen
An ultra that turns her into a marvel character
-4 Senpusha that's pretty much safe from distance
Best ex reversal
Counter that puts you in all different directions to go
Neutral jHK that hits on both sides
j.MP that might be the fastest air normal in the game

breh

niggas complaining about rose smh

Snake Eyez, Louffy, Xian, Daigo, Kazunoko, Xiaohai, Pepeday and the winner from a qualifier tournament held the day before the series.

I will consider subbing after I hear about the stream quality first. CCup production isn't that great from what I've remembered.

This is basically Capcom cup

Azure J

Count, something that has always held true from my own personal experience, you never complain about good characters that are underutilized. As soon as that happens, that character's entire playerbase rises to the forefront. :lol

Count, something that has always held true from my own personal experience, you never complain about good characters that are underutilized. As soon as that happens, that character's entire playerbase rises to the forefront. :lol

L47P5rq.gif

Malice215

I'm not surprised that Shaheen looks great because they sought feedback from people on his character design. Lucky Chloe still looks like a hot mess to me, but I understand how they're trying to market to the Japanese audience with her the same way they're trying to market to the Middle-Eastern market with Shaheen.

I think DOA is rather world wide than just US because some of them outfits and character themes is very Japan. (The whole clone subplot, I blame Blood Roar for this shit).

Titties is universal which is why DOA continues to be a success.

Makes me so sad everytime Soul Caliber is brought up.
I played the ever loving shit out of 1 to 4. (really liked 2,3 and 4) Alway wished it was more popular in the FGC. Just seems like there is so much potential with the series. And it doesn't (or at least didnt) have a lot of the things people complain about in other fighters like long combos or difficult execution (for the most part).

I didn't like 5 and haven't even tired the f2p version. I heard it's single player only anyway..

Edit. Didn't like 5 because not every game needs super meter or ex moves, and making guard impact cost meter was a super lame change. Then of course the removal of like 1/2 the cast...

Maybe back in the day every fighting game didn't need a meter, but times have changed. The most popular fighting games all have some type of meter management in place, and you can see how popular the ones that don't are. Even Tekken has moved in that direction.

I've seen people say that SCV didn't need meter, but there also wasn't many people who played the game seriously when it didn't have meter, nor are they going back to a game like SC2 which doesn't have meter. Plus the changes the game went through brought in alot of newer players.

I just rented a movie for the first time in a while, it was $4.99 and painful to do. So yeah, no way in hell I'm paying $15 for a fighting game tournament stream that will more than likely go down several times and look like butt.

People pay alot more just to watch a couple of hours of entertainment where as this is $15 for a 2 day event which is fair to me.

I will, I support this idea. They aren't the norm and when someone goes out of there way to put together a event like this then I think it's fair to charge a fee. Now it's up to the community(outside of Japan anyways) to decide if they're ready for it.

I've seen so many people give money away for the silliest things, but balk at the idea of paying to watch an event like this. The stream on Friday is going to be free, so people can watch that and choose whether it's worth their money or not.

Manbig

Maybe back in the day every fighting game didn't need a meter, but times have changed. The most popular fighting games all have some type of meter management in place, and you can see how popular the ones that don't are. Even Tekken has moved in that direction.

If you're talking about managing rage as a sort of meter management, then outside of the T5 series, Tekken has been doing that since Tag 1.

ShinMaruku

Man Juri is so good.

Not using her but playing against her.. her options are crazy.

You have a character that has:

One of the best zoning games
Gains tons of meter off of doing non charged fireballs
A dive kick that can punish fireballs full screen
An ultra that turns her into a marvel character
-4 Senpusha that's pretty much safe from distance
Best ex reversal
Counter that puts you in all different directions to go
Neutral jHK that hits on both sides
j.MP that might be the fastest air normal in the game

breh

niggas complaining about rose smh
This is why: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CFWkgjGSW8
I suck :(
People see me play Juri and underrate her.
That's my fiction and I am sticking with it.

Clawww

officially own xrd

rocking out on pad for the time being. I'm not having too much trouble with it but I do like being able to hear my button presses on stick

Kumubou

I've seen so many people give money away for the silliest things, but balk at the idea of paying to watch an event like this. The stream on Friday is going to be free, so people can watch that and choose whether it's worth their money or not.
I think the issue is nowadays there's so much free content, the floor is actually rather hard to beat. Could an event like that be entertaining? Sure -- but it has to significantly beat whatever free options are available, and that's hard when there's 23545425252 other streams and 54326457637632643 cat videos online.

Remember when Steve Fox's original name was "Dean Earwicker"

5660.jpg

Harada pls
I also remember Dean Earwicker having 1,2,1,2 as a natural combo, starting from an 8 frame jab in one of the early T4 loketests. He was too OP to exist.

Manbig

More in the direction of adding supers in the game with T7.

I guess I can see what you mean. I just don't make that connection myself, because it is tied to the same style of rage mechanic that was in Tekken 6, which means that you can completely avoid having to deal with the move simply by avoiding your opponent's rage portion of his/her health bar.

Malice215

I think the issue is nowadays there's so much free content, the floor is actually rather hard to beat. Could an event like that be entertaining? Sure -- but it has to significantly beat whatever free options are available, and that's hard when there's 23545425252 other streams and 54326457637632643 cat videos online.

The difference with this is that you don't see players of this caliber play in an extended set for a bunch of money all of the time, and there's plenty of people who are interested in watching it. The question is whether the entertainment value is worth their money versus finding a free/illegal restream or YouTube rip.

Plus the majority of streams nowadays either have a subscription or ask for donations or run commercials, so some cost is being attributed to somebody. Plus there's no other streams to beat since there's nothing else going on fighting game wise on that weekend.

But the short answer is people are cheap and if they can avoid paying for something, they will.

I guess I can see what you mean. I just don't make that connection myself, because it is tied to the same style of rage mechanic that was in Tekken 6, which means that you can completely avoid having to deal with the move simply by avoiding your opponent's rage portion of his/her health bar.

The connection is that the vast majority of fighting games have some type of super attack/meter in them, so they must be needed which is my point to those who say that a game like SCV doesn't need them.

Rage arts is still tied to being at 20% of your lifebar, but now they've added a more accessible, emphasized, stylized comeback mechanic since you can press a couple of buttons and land an attack that does a huge grip of damage.

Practically, you can't avoid that portion of an opponent's health bar. Eventually you are going to have to deal with rage, and putting someone in rage happens more often than not. People said the same thing about rage in Tekken 6, but you watch enough high level matches and you see that it's not the case, especially now that people prefer to do 3/5 sets.

Also next weeks FGW title should be about the new tekken character or topanga 4500bp challenge imo. What other notable shit happened?l

Uncle Valle acting a fool on WNF:OE
FGCNN
Ultradavid
coming through with some nail-biting journalism

Or the classic FGW | Nothing Happened: 2015 Edition

Sayah

What is the strategic difference between bound and that new mechanic? I haven't paid close attention to T7.

1. You can't use it at walls.

2. Combos can be shorter or longer depending. They are generally shorter because the tailspin leads the opponent to a much further distance than the bound, which limits your options for combo enders. On the other hand, unlike bound, you can use tailspin/flop after a floor break or after a move that naturally bounds (e.g. Alisa's u/f+4,4).

3. Also varies by character.

The new mechanic is a pretty creative way to try to satisfy both people that wanted bound gone and those that wanted it to stay (at least from the way I see things).

Prototype

I'm not surprised that Shaheen looks great because they sought feedback from people on his character design. Lucky Chloe still looks like a hot mess to me, but I understand how they're trying to market to the Japanese audience with her the same way they're trying to market to the Middle-Eastern market with Shaheen.

Titties is universal which is why DOA continues to be a success.

I've seen people say that SCV didn't need meter, but there also wasn't many people who played the game seriously when it didn't have meter, nor are they going back to a game like SC2 which doesn't have meter. Plus the changes the game went through brought in alot of newer players.

People pay alot more just to watch a couple of hours of entertainment where as this is $15 for a 2 day event which is fair to me.

Meter in 5 wasn't the only thing, but it was another layer in a list of things that helped add up to me not liking the game as much. I still prefer 4 more to this day.

But I hear you about meter. It's not the end of the world. One things I won't budge on is the game charging meter for guard impacts. That's really stupid imo.

Sayah

The connection is that the vast majority of fighting games have some type of super attack/meter in them, so they must be needed which is my point to those who say that a game like SCV doesn't need them.

Rage arts is still tied to being at 20% of your lifebar, but now they've added a more accessible, emphasized, stylized comeback mechanic since you can press a couple of buttons and land an attack that does a huge grip of damage.

Practically, you can't avoid that portion of an opponent's health bar. Eventually you are going to have to deal with rage, and putting someone in rage happens more often than not. People said the same thing about rage in Tekken 6, but you watch enough high level matches and you see that it's not the case, especially now that people prefer to do 3/5 sets.

With how the current system for rage arts is in Tekken, I don't see them being very optimal at high level play unless you combo into one. Using a raw rage art leaves you exposed and open to punishment and tracking also doesn't seem so great.

Then again, a lot of people have randomly used them in game with success based on current footage so who knows.

Top Bottom