• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Feb 9-15 | Mikrotransaktions™

shaowebb

I probably won't get to go to Evo because it turns out my wife is 10 weeks pregnant. :)

Congrats on the baby Karsticles!

Put Iron Fist in GG!

It's Jam

YES. Put him in everything. Then I could beat the ugly out of Sin Kiske. Man I hate his outfit...just because a silhouette is recognizable doesn't mean it passes a silhouette test. Its still has to be good. Testament was androgynous so he could do the shoulder straps, but Sin isn't and is terrible looking so theres that part failed. Seriously...view his model from behind...cringeworthy. Then there are the capri pants, the loafers, the denim flag, and the rings all over him that look like a boat is about to tie off to him like he's a dock ring or something. Bleh...worst character design I've seen in awhile.

BTW there was a news update with MKX for those interested. Kitana's 3 styles were revealed. First is with a mask gives her rushdown and dashup tools, Second is Maskless with glowy hair pins and gives her fan lifts and zoning tools, final is just something known as mournful and has her using Jade's staff and throwing glaive so looks like Jade is gone.

Oh and a the golem got announced for KI. He's called Aganos He's huge and can place things on screen to change the stage wall to force you closer and his movement speed varies depending on how much stuff is growing on him or used up. You can use chunks of him as projectiles or armor.
Dg7BHeL.png

Neat day for news.

Anne

I just think there are some missing pieces of knowledge haha I'm also surprised where the hate is coming from and going to. All I can add about GG design at the moment is the series is usually about chars just having strong options.

Azure J

Let the hate fuel you and make you stronger! Who cares if they're OP?! I love when people hate on me for my character choices - it gives me a powerup. Especially when the hate is super salty to the point where you can just taste the tears in your mouth. So good.

I mean this is pretty true, but sometimes I wonder why it's my luck that the play styles I like are never attached to those "people's champ" type of characters. Just running through my favorites that I've encountered:

-- Play Marth in Smash (pre-4)?

- *Professor_Beef.txt*
- "I personally hope Marth is nerfed into irrelevance just because I'm tired of seeing him in Melee competition/swinging sword am boring."
- 2anime4me

-- Falco in Melee?

- "No one fucking likes Falco
- "Laser spamming bitch"

-- Pit in Project M 3.02?
- "Look at this tier whoring, anime ass motherfucker right here"
- "Loop an arrow up your ass (an actual comment I got once)"
- Nerf. Everything.

-- Zero Suit Samus in Smash 4?
- Clearly only plays waifu/for pixel ass
- Zero Suit is a horrible blight on Samus' character and you are filthy for playing her
- She totally needed all those spikes
- Make her slower!

-- Makoto in 3S?
- Fuck all these school girl aesthetic pandering ass characters. *goes off to play Sakura* (Something that actually happened to me)
- *Threi.txt*
- "You like playing a randomizer and her damage is stupid"
- "She is not a real Street Fightan character!"

-- Play Dante in Marvel? People are not only ETERNALLY salty as fuck about him from Vanilla (which is fucking funny since all I ever saw were Wolverines and Phoenixes), but there's also a set of people salty that:

- The series got three reps (muh crossover reps) in Marvel
- Dante has his DMC3 look
- Dante players could call foul over inconsistencies in design going from Vanilla to Ultimate because "nigga has too many tools, hold that s.L and have a good day"
- hurr teleporting trenchcoat sword characters

-- Play Strider in Marvel? People say I love nutty mashy characters (despite taking every care to have a very clean Strider with setups and combos before people started using them FOUR YEARS LATER)

-- Just the mention of me being interested in Baiken and Jam in GGAC+ sent a few of my fighting game buddies into a fit between Baiken's "stupid" guard cancels and Jam's "why does this bitch exist/fuck her damage/fuck her voice" comments. :lol

These same folks also said I love "gorillas" when I mentioned that if I played UNIB, I'd probably main Yuzuriha and Linne.

I think the only two times in my life where the character's I played didn't lead to strange dialogue on my preferences were when I mained C.Falcon in Smash 64 and Viper in Marvel. The latter is simply because she managed to escape into a area of the meta where her bullshit was just accepted and other more abusive things started to come into prominence. I'd almost cite Hsien-Ko here as well, but I'm sure on both aesthetic (blueberry zombie chick who everyone knows from her overly cutsie'd Marvel appearance than VSav) and play style (Tenriha dem down, Gong em,
H
Toss dat, run it homie), if Vsav were more popular, I'd get that next level hate. :lol

In the end, it doesn't matter because I'm going to play who I like, but I just find it interesting how often I find myself on the receiving end of unique character gripes.

Azure J

fuck PM 3.02 Pit

not gonna let you off the hook for that one Azure J :p

The only things the PMDT should have done to him were to kill that dumbass recovery length (seriously, getting a second glide when taking off from the ground when the glide was already infinite and he got his jumps out of them), nerf or better normalize the knockback on upB (preventing the upward ToDs), and change how his down throw worked to prevent chain grabs into stupid. These guys went and changed the frame data on every last input of his instead.

The down tilt, dair and fair nerfs were just overkill.

Frantic

lol, people are salty mofos who just want to complain. I usually just go "get good" and go on my merry way because I'm an asshole complaining won't make you better
although I usually preface it with genuine advice. I've told a few people how to punish Vajra assist + teleport with their characters before telling them to "get good at punishing it when it's raw", lol
. All you do if you complain is potentially get x character nerfed, which then means a new x character is going to be complained about by those same people.

Admittedly, you're like me in that you gravitate towards characters that have tools out the ass, which usually means said character is pretty good, which means said character is gonna be complained about a lot... but then again, people will complain about any character, regardless of tier, if they get beat by that character. I've mostly gotten over my own salt and complaints, and just work to figure out what's beating me and just power through it. Gotta bite my tongue, sometimes, though...
fuck chris' incendiary grenade, even if that is the only tool he has that can actually get him wins against my team. /Kappa

Azure J

fuck chris' incendiary grenade, even if that is the only tool he has that can actually get him wins against my team. /Kappa

You know, it's actually kind of funny how I move from Marvel thinking this was easily one of the sleeper worst things ever in old fits of salt to play a character that is essentially hyper-waifu Chris in Vanquish/Gears of War/the Black Rock Shooter anime opening with a grenade just as stupid. :lol

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
* wakes up, see post crying about Leo*

"Oh guess I'm in a dream people are crying about a bleh character."

*realize this isn't a dream and people are that bad*

ER0Zzxz.gif

Tripon

The only things the PMDT should have done to him were to kill that dumbass recovery length (seriously, getting a second glide when taking off from the ground when the glide was already infinite and he got his jumps out of them), nerf or better normalize the knockback on upB (preventing the upward ToDs), and change how his down throw worked to prevent chain grabs into stupid. These guys went and changed the frame data on every last input of his instead.

The down tilt, dair and fair nerfs were just overkill.

Reminds me of the talk about people just sticking with 3.02, at least casually.

12 dates for DOA5LR tournament series. TWELVE. And not a single one in Europe. But don't worry, they'll give Gehaktbal a new booby mouse pad at next EU tournament.

Shouta

Grats is having a kid? At least we'll have another marvel player soon.

Leo is a pretty straightforward character once you touch him once or twice. Nothing too fancy with him. Him getting full screen S Fireball in the update is awesome though =O

Azure J

Yeah, Leo is one of those introductory types where you get your salt out then use him as the litmus test for the rest of your play. All the same I'm very interested in seeing how you handle the matchup Q.

.la1n

I completely missed the post so I feel bad for being late on this but congratulations Karst, that's great news!

Dlent

Congratulatios Karst
(Since it seems to be in style, I'll guess that this is your third child)

Leo seems just boringly linear to me, only real problem I have with him is that apparently know one knows the matchup despite how overused he is in America. I guess it's also pretty annoying that he becomes ridiculously powerful in 4+ frames of lag.

Sayad

* wakes up, see post crying about Leo*

"Oh guess I'm in a dream people are crying about a bleh character."

*realize this isn't a dream and people are that bad*

ER0Zzxz.gif
Something is being misunderstood here, I don't think anyone is complaining about him being good, or at least not me.

Yeah, Leo is one of those introductory types where you get your salt out then use him as the litmus test for the rest of your play. All the same I'm very interested in seeing how you handle the matchup Q.
From my scrubby Ky experience, Ky destroy Leo. The neutral is really hard for Leo, and if he did manage to get something going, he still cant bully Ky with stance shenanigans nearly as much as he does against most other characters.

Kimosabae

Banned
What happened to 500K? In December it seemed like it was going to change everything, but Xrd hasn't fallen off the face of the planet, yet, and there doesn't seem to be a lot of talk/hype regarding upcoming tournaments.

pixelish

What happened to 500K? In December it seemed like it was going to change everything, but People are still talking about/playing Xrd, and there doesn't seem to be a lot of talk/hype regarding upcoming tournaments.

everyone's still waiting for capcom to release the full details of this year's capcom pro tour. however, i have to say they're taking way too long to do so as the hype has been sort of subsided since they last mentioned dat 500k

kirblar

everyone's still waiting for capcom to release the full details of this year's capcom pro tour. however, i have to say they're taking way too long to do so as the hype has been sort of subsided since they last mentioned dat 500k
Yeah, we're 6 weeks in and nothing? This is awkward.

Azure J

What happened to 500K? In December it seemed like it was going to change everything, but Xrd hasn't fallen off the face of the planet, yet, and there doesn't seem to be a lot of talk/hype regarding upcoming tournaments.

Honestly, besides Smash (only because of Paragon and Apex), and Tekken 7/Pokken stuff, it's been (or felt) weirdly quiet on the fighting game front the last few weeks.
I'm including the downtime from post Christmas to now).

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Yeah, we're 6 weeks in and nothing? This is awkward.
Honestly thought we'd have another character reveal by now but I guess the typical post-reveal silence needs to blow over first.

I'm expecting another media blowout before we see something revealed at an event. Perhaps with actual, definitive gameplay details this time.

As soon as they announce how the money will be distributed SF4 will see a spike in player base.

Top Bottom