• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 3-9 | Getting Put On Blast

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Keits' style of payout is to pay roughly the top 10%, with the bottom of that group just barely making back their entry fee.

Fanatiq saying Streaming tournaments is easy, that 1 man can do it since there "is not a lot equipment".
lol

What has he even done since marvel 3 launched? I don't recall him winning anything except a MM against rayray, which anyone knew he would win :|

I'm pretty sure he won a major at one point in time. I can't remember exactly which one it was but he did win one major.

Edit: Beaten. It was ECT.

Busaiku

Keits' style of payout is to pay roughly the top 10%, with the bottom of that group just barely making back their entry fee.

His distribution gives all of the pot contributed by entry fees to the top 3.
However, he does go for 60/25/15, which gives 2nd/3rd place better earnings than most, which go for 70/20/10 or something.

4th and lower get fixed amounts based on a pot bonus, which is determined by the number of entrants.

fanatiq when he wants to can easily be a top player in marvel. Its just that he is likely to take massive breaks from it and play lol. I know he said he doesn't like umvc3, that he lost his passion for marvel since he sees it as nothing more than tvc2.

Shouta

I heard that Keits likes to do a different payout split than the 70-20-10 that you see at other majors or however they divide it up. where it's mostly top heavy. IIRC I remember the reasoning is that more of the money is split so more people make back their registration fee, so the top 8 would get less more people (say top 32 for this example I don't know the exact figure) would get back at least the reg fee. This is so that there is more incentive for players to come out and place high enough to get something or lose nothing out of entering.

Pretty sure he did a Top 8ish payout for UFGT? I could be wrong.

Generally, there's not that much money in this community anyway so spreading the prize pools out a tad is more to my speed mostly because it gives incentives to players that aren't placing top 3 to come out more often. Being able to get back reg fee or even their flight/hotel at higher payout events is a boon because folks are more able to travel and get better. It also makes events more interesting and honestly, helps to break some of the misconceptions of various things.

Made me real happy that Sega went with top 16 payout for Sega Cup but they actually have cash to do so though.

Keits

Developer
I believe its still 70/20/10 of the pot or something like that for top 16 for a game with X amount of entrants get a share of the pot bonus they throw ontop of that game.

Keits have a gaf account, im sure he can comment on this if he sees this.

We've experimented a lot. This year we paid out top 3 60/25/15, so just a slightly different configuration than your usual 70/20/10. In the example, Wolfkrone made more at UFGT than he would at a similar size non-bonused tournament.

I also add a bonus to the pot that pays out 4th and under in my payscale (the more entries, the farther down), but top 3 always gets the clean and clear 60/25/15 of the pot.

The math isnt complicated, so its ironic to see the people i developed this system for become the ones so ignorant about how it works that they want to tear it down. (I started doing this after I saw people who beat and eliminate Daigo at SB fail to make into into the payouts, and thought we had the depth of talent in fighting game tournaments now that more people should be getting a piece of the pie.)

I have a lot, lot more to say, but this will have to do for now. Its been a really, really depressing couple of weeks.

We've experimented a lot. This year we paid out top 3 60/25/15, so just a slightly different configuration than your usual 70/20/10. In the example, Wolfkrone made more at UFGT than he would at a similar size non-bonused tournament.

I also add a bonus to the pot that pays out 4th and under in my payscale (the more entries, the farther down), but top 3 always gets the clean and clear 60/25/15 of the pot.

The math isnt complicated, so its ironic to see the people i developed this system for become the ones so ignorant about how it works that they want to tear it down. (I started doing this after I saw people who beat and eliminate Daigo at SB fail to make into into the payouts, and thought we had the depth of talent in fighting game tournaments now that more people should be getting a piece of the pie.)

I have a lot, lot more to say, but this will have to do for now. Its been a really, really depressing couple of weeks.

But the mystery tournament was cray as usual. Who would've thought of playing SC2 on DDR pads or dogs running tractor mirrors. Shit was cray and exciting.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I killed some time at work once coming up with a payout structure should I ever be in the position to actually run one of the locals I go to. And since I also have time to kill at work now, might as well post it on GAF too.

payout.png

The numbers come from just following a few simple rules:

1. 1st gets twice as much as 2nd, 2nd gets twice as much as 3rd, etc.
  2. If you finish in the money, you're guaranteed to win at least twice your entry fee. If entry is $10, then the lowest placing prize amount is at least $20.
  3. Payout is distributed to as many places down the rung as possible while still following the above two rules.
  4. A scaling pot bonus is added to make sure that the prize amounts for each place actually keeps increasing as the number of entrants increase. Without this, the edge cases when additional payout spots are added when only 1 more entry fee was added to the pot would be awkward. The bonus is done in multiples of the entry fee. ($10 entry with 2x bonus means $20 bonus.) This would be dependent on whether there's actually money to spare on a pot bonus, though.

I think it scales pretty nicely. 1st place gets an increasingly smaller share of the pot as the number of entrants increases but the bonus offsets it somewhat and the decrease itself gets fairly insignificant at additional levels anyway. 70/20/10 is just ugly and way too huge of a drop off from 1st to 2nd imo.

Thanks for clearing up the confusion guys.

One thing that makes me wonder about these players, in every other competitive game, whether it's Tennis, Basketball, LoL, Starcraft, etc. is that players do not rely on tournament winnings for their finances. Sure there is a nice bonus when they win championships, but all these players are salaried to cover living expenses. The EG crew and Fchamp are the only ones who has this deal at the moment, so when I see all these other names in front of these tags, I wonder what the hell their sponsor is doing for them. I know people like to rep their community, sort of like how CafeID isn't really a sponsor but a group of players who love to play at the place. But what is their sponsor doing for them that they have to win tournaments for rent money? Are they just paying the plane ticket? Do they even cover travel expenses like hotel and food cost? A lot of times I see those names and I don't know what they are selling most of the time.

I have to say, the person who actually sold me on a product on stream is not any player, but actually Markman. He actually seems more visible than anyone else. I didn't own an arcade stick for a 360 until he mentioned some sale and I decided to pick one up. I normally hate 3rd party pads, but from good word of mouth and streams, it seemed like the arcade sticks Madcatz puts out is better than their pads (my madcatz GC pad got messed up while I was playing Tales of Symphonia back in the day. Didn't last me 2 playthroughs....).

Vice

Did Chris Schmidt stop playing marvel? Haven't seen him on stream lately.

He shows up at Danger Rooms (monthlies) in Fresno. He was at the last one.

Edit: IIRC, he's just busy and doesn't get to travel as much. He's still grinding it out though.

edit
Fanatiq said PDP offer james chen and ultradavid a sponsorship, but they turned it down.

lol what, nuh uh. james and i are friends with sebastian, the guy what runs the age team for pdp, but i don't remember ever talking about this with him.

just asked james if he remembered this, he also said nope.

sooooooo

this is weird

kirblar

lol what, nuh uh. james and i are friends with sebastian, the guy what runs the age team for pdp, but i don't remember ever talking about this with him.

sooooooo

this is weird
This is totally and completely surprising.

What if Fanatiq is turning schizophrenic and nobody's noticed because of his personality and just assumed he's a jerk? He could be geniunely paranoid.

It does onset in the early-mid twenties.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";61119529]What if Fanatiq is turning schizophrenic and nobody's noticed because of his personality and just assumed he's a jerk? He could be geniunely paranoid.

It does onset in the early-mid twenties.[/QUOTE]

The Boy Who Cried Wolf? What if he's just making all of this up to hide the real illuminati. Fanatiq is Revolver Ocelot!

sooooooo

this is weird

Its in his stream archives

I remember hearing something about that you wanted nobody to tie you down and control what you can and can not say.

Top 8 at what?
top 8 in marvel at evo that year was xray, mine, combofiend, fchamp, noel, justin, pr rog and viscant.

You're right. He made top 8 at Revelation 2011 (when it was legit), and CEO 2012. I know he won ECT as well.

He shows up at Danger Rooms (monthlies) in Fresno. He was at the last one.

Edit: IIRC, he's just busy and doesn't get to travel as much. He's still grinding it out though.

Thanks for the update. It's good to hear that he's still practicing this game.

sooooooo

this is weird

people are on blast now

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";61119529]What if Fanatiq is turning schizophrenic and nobody's noticed because of his personality and just assumed he's a jerk? He could be geniunely paranoid.

It does onset in the early-mid twenties.[/QUOTE]

You know... This could be possible.

gutabo

I just can't understand how in this day and age, with social media, streaming, and so many ways to record/capture what people say/write that some insist on blatantly lying. smh

ok

http://www.twitch.tv/mrfanatiq/b/412244841

4:00:00~ he talks about stream not requiring a lot of equipment and one man can easily do it.

4:05:47 is the ultradavid and jchensor

"they get flown out by the tournament"-fanatiq
"pdp has (offered a sponsorship)" "I tried too, I tried to add him"- fanatiq

It's true that we usually get flown out and put up by tournament organizers, although not always. Sometimes we get paid on top of that, sometimes not. Capcom gave us $1000 each for the SF25 grand finals, but the usual rate is a few hundred. Well, between zero and a few hundred that is heh.

It's true that we usually get flown out and put up by tournament organizers, although not always. Sometimes we get paid on top of that, sometimes not. Capcom gave us $1000 each for the SF25 grand finals, but the usual rate is a few hundred. Well, between zero and a few hundred that is heh.

Yeah I remember plenty times you have said on stream that occasionally they will pay for your airfare and lodging but its not super common nor is it anything to write home about. I mean its not exactly easy talking on stream for several hours when you would rather do something else (play).

Capcom paying 1k each is pretty good though.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
I have to say, the person who actually sold me on a product on stream is not any player, but actually Markman. He actually seems more visible than anyone else. I didn't own an arcade stick for a 360 until he mentioned some sale and I decided to pick one up. I normally hate 3rd party pads, but from good word of mouth and streams, it seemed like the arcade sticks Madcatz puts out is better than their pads (my madcatz GC pad got messed up while I was playing Tales of Symphonia back in the day. Didn't last me 2 playthroughs....).

How are you liking the arcade stick now? Please let me know. Always good to hear from people making the switch and their experiences. If you have any questions about arcade sticks in general, please feel free to let me know....

You can also check our awesome Arcade Stick Thread here:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=40126503

tbh I met Fanatiq years ago and he was very nice and chill. Nothing close to this year's fanatiq and how he is portrayed.

Knives was chill as well when I met him last year

I think its just money that brings out the worst in people.

K.Sabot

To say goodbye to vanilla MVC3 my friends and I played it in random ways. I was doing better Dante combos with a Guitar Hero guitar than I was normally!

Yeah I won a few ranked SF4 matches on Guitar Hero back when I didn't play on stick. Definitely an inspiration to get one, though!

How are you liking the arcade stick now? Please let me know. Always good to hear from people making the switch and their experiences. If you have any questions about arcade sticks in general, please feel free to let me know....

You can also check our awesome Arcade Stick Thread here:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=40126503

It's definitely serving me well. I use it for both fighting games and beat em ups. I had this stick between 2 1/2 - 3 years now. I actually swapped some buttons around from LB and LT to X and A because I felt they were giving out since I play a good amount of 4 button fighters. I'm also a dumbass and I think I stripped some of the screws in the back last time, so I think I eventually need to get around replacing it.

How much did Art/Juicebox/The Answer get paid to commentate at MLG? I'm sure they didn't make off with as much money as Day9 did but still.

Top Bottom