• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 3-9 | Getting Put On Blast

Beckx

Pay to play.

100 yen per game, until you lose.

And you have to leave your house to do it too!

japanese-arcade.jpg

It looks like heaven. Except heaven wouldn't have ashtrays.

I spent way too much time and money when I visited Japanese arcades as a teenager but when I visited again in my late 20s, I was shocked how especially smokey it was at the arcades and how popular the photobooth & UFO machines are.

OceanBlue

Don't the arcades actually have netplay?

I don't think so. You probably heard that SBO was having problems with its LAN and it was causing lag.

If anyone wants to watch some Japanese SF4 play, Yubiken is streaming Thursday morning. I'll probably catch it since a lot of good players make up Yubiken and they have a lot of good players for their (online) tournaments too.

Lol, it feels like all I do is mention Yubiken in the FGW threads now. :p
Kim ‏@Kim1234_ALL_DAY 25m

@yubikenTV this Thursday at 4AM PST 7AM EST !

the game looks....really choppy? I don't want to say bad because I don't know how the game is suppose to look like but it feels dated

This is admittedly the first I've seen of its play, but is there anything that makes this game more than a low-rent KoF knockoff?

GGPO netcode

Characters that aren't in KoF like Chris Redfield, Vergil, and Kung Fu Panda

It's free

the game looks....really choppy? I don't want to say bad because I don't know how the game is suppose to look like but it feels dated

They tried what GGXrd is doing with limited individual frames of animation, and no inbetweens. They just based the number of frames off old ass games with less fluid animation, which contrasts with the character detail.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
They tried what GGXrd is doing with limited individual frames of animation, and no inbetweens. They just based the number of frames off old ass games with less fluid animation, which contrasts with the character detail.

and that's when the ArcSys drawn in blurs help x.x/

Those are mostly there to show off hitboxes though

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
I don't think so. You probably heard that SBO was having problems with its LAN and it was causing lag.

If anyone wants to watch some Japanese SF4 play, Yubiken is streaming Thursday morning. I'll probably catch it since a lot of good players make up Yubiken and they have a lot of good players for their (online) tournaments too.

Lol, it feels like all I do is mention Yubiken in the FGW threads now. :p

Fighting games don't have online play, a bunch of other games that aren't nearly as lag sensitive (Border Break, Answer x Answer, Baseball Heroes) are playable online though.

Is he still playing League of Legends? Always wondered what he actually does in Team MRN since I never see him play in the team

He (was) the owner until they got knocked out of the League Championship Series, unfortunately the team dissolved after that since there isn't really much of a "Amateur" scene for LoL.

GGPO netcode

Characters that aren't in KoF like Chris Redfield, Vergil, and Kung Fu Panda

It's free

I wouldn't straight up call what they're doing what GGXrd is doing, since they're not actually using 3D models at runtime. Capping the animations of a 3D model and using it as a spriteset has been done since forever for a lot of low-budget games.

Dahbomb

Jebailey is right though.

He held a poll among FL players to decide how they will handle stage selection in Injustice. The result wasn't what the MK//Injustice community liked so some are boycotting.

And of course if its such a big deal then turn of stage interactables in the menu. I think that's where things are headed with the game if people continue to make a big fuss about stage selection.

Beckx

Divekick esports hour in 15.

----

Refusing to attend tournament b/c of stage selection? Wow. And Alex has been full of praise for Injustice and hyping it up since release.

-----

Meanwhile, Fanatiq calls out Valle? Okay.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Can't go a week without some drama. He is tournament CEO. They should be happy he even asked because he can just say fuck you all, it's my tournament, I'll run this shit the way I want.

I don't understand how anything other than "both players pick which one they want, and use the in game 50/50, every time they're at the stage menu" was ever an option. Why is it being overcomplicated like this?

I don't understand how anything other than "both players pick which one they want, and use the in game 50/50, every time they're at the stage menu" was ever an option. Why is it being overcomplicated like this?

From what I understand the background on the stage select screen is chosen at random, so players can use that as the first match because a player can get unlucky in all his matches and get stages he is disadvantaged on. If you lose the random match, then it makes sense for the loser to change, since every other game allows that.

Does Tekken use this ruleset too? I remember seeing a stream and Tokido got the stage he wanted on random when it was scrolling which was funny.

Beckx

Well, big difference between being guaranteed a 50/50 chance at, say, Gotham alley, versus the chances if it's totally random for opening round.

Mr. X

"Ryan Dickinson ‏@SirGeekelot 55m
@CEOJebailey @OJuggsO Turning off "items" and stopping on-the-spot strategy due to those items, is one of the many things that killed SSB."

SSB been going strong for 10+ years hosting their own tourneys/events. Quite the opposite of "killed".

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
combofiend on Gouken

Crouching middle punch buffed so you can combo into it.
• EX Tatsu has a lower hitbox to the ground.
• Make stand light kick cancelable.
• Fix input error with his counter so it doesn't come out on mistake.

its been 5 fucking games already, still dont understand how thats not done already.

kirblar

"Ryan Dickinson ‏@SirGeekelot 55m
@CEOJebailey @OJuggsO Turning off "items" and stopping on-the-spot strategy due to those items, is one of the many things that killed SSB."

SSB been going strong for 10+ years hosting their own tourneys/events. Quite the opposite of "killed".
The only reason they were removed in Melee was because the "boobytrap" items couldn't be turned off. (And it was a completely fair decision.)

In Brawl, imo, it actively detracts from the gameplay to have them off.

And in Injustice you both pick a stage and the game randomizes between them. That's how the developers intended it to be.

Not all intentions are beneficial sadly. Someone could lose that 50/50 coin flip every time in a single set, which means that they were always fighting a uphill battle. The random in the background is choosing from all stages not just the 2 that would benefit one player or the other, so that would be more fair. The loser choosing a stage is like counter picking, except with a stage instead of a character, which has been around forever and makes sense because they are still down a match after losing the first random one and allows them to make adjustments.

Top Bottom