• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | May 25-31 | Marvel vs. Comcast

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Also I have no idea who Mixup is.

Got 3rd (edit: 5th?) place at Seasons Beatings for Marvel 2, disappeared off the face of the Earth, then trained up his local scene (FullSchedule included) in Marvel 3. Some of the North Florida boys have an amusingly bad habit of talking up their friends' ability too much and it just kind of built Mixup into this bizarre myth. They're also the only scene I've played with who still have a lot of players that go out of their way to avoid being seen (on stream and elsewhere) in order to hide their tech and habits. Mixup also has a (somewhat earned, somewhat not) reputation for flaking on Marvel 3 tournaments for a while. He's supposed to have been to a few big events at this point and he's just never been able to show for one reason or another.

Friday night, Mixup walked up to me in the venue, made some small talk and said it was nice to see me again, etc... and it actually took me a while to realize who he was because he was the last person I expected to be there.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Got 3rd place at a Seasons Beatings for Marvel 2, disappeared off the face of the Earth, then trained up his local scene (FullSchedule included) in Marvel 3. Some of the North Florida boys have an amusingly bad habit of talking up their friends' ability too much and it just kind of built Mixup into this bizarre myth. They're also the only scene I've played with who still have a lot of players that go out of their way to avoid being seen (on stream and elsewhere) in order to hide their tech and habits. Mixup also has a (somewhat earned, somewhat not) reputation for flaking on Marvel 3 tournaments for a while. He's supposed to have been to a few big events at this point and he's just never been able to show for one reason or another.

Friday night, Mixup walked up to me in the venue, made some small talk and said it was nice to see me again, etc... and it actually took me a while to realize who he was because he was the last person I expected to be there.
Marvel 3 is all figured out? Not if the Florida scene has anything to say about it!

Bless these apostles for prolonging the lifespan of Marvel by not showing themselves or their tech for the length of the lifespan itself.

Papstr

Neo Member
BTW Shout outs to the first GG being on stream at MWC. That was a decent time waster.

Most godlike 2 minutes of my life. Playing it with them afterwards was many laughs. Hard to imagine how the series possibly took off after how um...unique that game is.

Jazz-ism

Banned
LMAO @ the FChamp/Full Schedule drama on twitter.

Also I have no idea who Mixup is.

In any case FChamp would whoop both in a MM. The EBT thing was hilarious though...

how can you be a marvel fanboy but not be familiar with one of the greats...?

i dont see how you can claim marvel without knowing ur history. dude got top 8 at the most stacked marvel 2 event of all time

i dont see how you can claim marvel without knowing ur history. dude got top 8 at the most stacked marvel 2 event of all time

I think we all know that Dahbomb isn't a marvel fanboy, he's a Champ fanboy

Kappa.png

Azure J

Mixup was always regarded as a mythological figure in the few Marvel circles I got acquainted with during my time playing Marvel 3. I actually thought at one point he was just an ascended meme for those hardcore lab warriors that's fostered the current generation of God's Beards and Dahs. :p

Jazz-ism

Banned
Just because you're good at MvC2 didn't mean you were good at UMvC3.

dont be silly no one disputes this

but you should at least know the name and the potential

mvc2 specifically is interesting in fighting games as a case study because it probably had the most exclusive players (in that they played that game and nothing else)

i think the amount of similarities between marvel 2 and melee are really cool. they are like 2 sides of one coin. one was for arcade culture the other for console, and their lifespan trajectories up until 2008 were about the same too.

Tripon

dont be silly no one disputes this

but you should at least know the name and the potential

mvc2 specifically is interesting in fighting games as a case study because it probably had the most exclusive players (in that they played that game and nothing else)

i think the amount of similarities between marvel 2 and melee are really cool. they are like 2 sides of one coin. one was for arcade culture the other for console, and their lifespan trajectories up until 2008 were about the same too.

I know about the potential, and the potential is that he got his ass owned when he finally came out for a streamed tournament.

fader

I've been thinking the SAME thing. I really wish someone would do a documentary on the history of MVC2 and the juxtaposition between New York and California scene. A lot of the stories I hear between them are pretty great... especially just how marvel 2 dictated people's lives like no other game not named melee.

enzo, i just want you to know that i've read the first page before

Yes. And GAF Ranbats need to be a thing. We should make a spreadsheet thing with a list of FGW members and the games they play and at what times, etc, so people can play together more

you should make it happen

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
You were in the alpha 3 room? I try to test out roms that I get recently and I noticed he sends challenge requests before my screen can load lol. I have seen him play Art before, his Rolento is damn good.

Yeah, I was trying to figure out how to get my pad going (which actually worked thankfully) and I heard like 4 requests go off in a row.

Also thanks alpha 3 for being the only Street Fighter game where throwing is forward and 2 punches or kicks

Dahbomb

dahbomb: http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/49764/seasons-beatings-iii-results

literally the most legendary marvel tournament in history

bonus: this is also the infamous "marn killed GG" tournament
I didn't realize this was Mixup from MVC2 era. I seriously thought it was a random nobody Mixup (it happens). I wasn't really following the Twitter conversation and the name slipped my mind.

It was like that time when Norcal where hyping up some Chris player and then when I saw the dude play I realized it was in fact Chris Schmidt.

And yeah that tournament was pretty godly. The names are recognizable all the way down to top 16 definitely a stacked as fuck tournament.

But what's more curious is that Tekken DR had 98 entrants to MVC2's 80 entrants (and this was Seasons Beating.. a tournament known for Marvel).

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
gafranbats as in that defunct (kind of lol) irc that has old school gaffers? jlai and saty are on there all the time lol. i see onemic and turtles too, i dont know if blackvegeta goes on there even though ive faced him a couple times. we need to hold more lobbies lol

It makes the most sense for Capcom to bring whatever build they will bring to E3. Carrying around multiple builds (that would have to be bug tested and what not) seems like a waste of time and energy.

I hope they have a build with at least 5 characters in it. Last time we saw a lick of the build was at Capcom Cup and then at that Japanese event that had the same build. Around 6 months to polish the game and get some fleshed out characters running in the game. They probably had prototypes for quite a few characters but obviously didn't mention much for the hype/they weren't ready to be seen.

Jazz-ism

Banned
I know about the potential, and the potential is that he got his ass owned when he finally came out for a streamed tournament.

Well Youngblood, congratulations as you have successfully missed the point. Regardless of his mvc3 career (or lack thereof) he has a decorated history in mvc2 and part of being a player means knowing your games history.

ofc, given your quality of input, I assume you are nothing more than a stream viewer/cheerleader who doesn't actually play. For you this might be better. Stay casual young man.

I didn't realize this was Mixup from MVC2 era. I seriously thought it was a random nobody Mixup (it happens). I wasn't really following the Twitter conversation and the name slipped my mind.

It was like that time when Norcal where hyping up some Chris player and then when I saw the dude play I realized it was in fact Chris Schmidt.

And yeah that tournament was pretty godly. The names are recognizable all the way down to top 16 definitely a stacked as fuck tournament.

But what's more curious is that Tekken DR had 98 entrants to MVC2's 80 entrants (and this was Seasons Beating.. a tournament known for Marvel).

Yea those were interesting times for sure. And your footnote about tekken entrants is another exhibit in the "why is tekken dead in North america" mystery...

fader

Not very. I played on console years ago and got decent, but it's a slow climb back to where I was before.

oh I just got through playing with onemic I'm kinda bummed from the losses, you can probably play him if he's down but he's in Canada but the connection was not bad and I'm in Florida.

Tripon

Well Youngblood, congratulations as you have successfully missed the point. Regardless of his mvc3 career (or lack thereof) he has a decorated history in mvc2 and part of being a player means knowing your games history.

ofc, given your quality of input, I assume you are nothing more than a stream viewer/cheerleader who doesn't actually play. For you this might be better. Stay casual young man.

And when I see you on stream, I know you're going straight to 0-2 no matter what tournament you're in.

I know about Mixup's history just as much as you seem to have. He got exposed in a game that hasn't shown success in, that's all.

(BTW, I'm 30).

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Vote for thread titles below. It should proooooooobably have to do with this big USFIV fuck up.

FGW | QAisTopTier

Top Bottom