• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | May 25-31 | Marvel vs. Comcast

zlatko

Banned
I'm so ass at Street Fighter. I need some witcher/flight sim time to mull if I have the stomach to improve.

For what it's worth the grind to learn and become "goodish" at SF is easy beans compared to competitive Smash Bros Wii U.

I am breaking up my grinding of Smash with Splatoon and Witcher. :p

mbpm1

*work early in the morning, playing sf at night*
"Okay, one more game and I'll go to sleep"
*Fuerte plays like Fuerte and wins*
"...One more game to redeem myself to myself"
*A high ranked Sagat loses first round handily to you, then ragequits during the second round*
".... god dammit.... one more"
*shitty Juri who is probably playing the game for the first time*
"...one more real one"
*shitty Yun who is probably playing for the first time*
*20 more minutes of people not knowing how to play the game followed by giving up finally since sleep is needed, go to bed feeling unsatisfied*

I feel this.

Hard to get my fix when what I need is "Fighting and defeating a high level player who was beating me, overall in a long series of matches"

vocab

That's really 1v1 competitive games ultimate problem. Playing people that are relative to your skill level is just difficult. You do not have this problem elsewhere.

I don't know about you guys but I consider it a good night if I can finish with a win. Idc how scrubby their Ryu was or how bad the netcode was lol.

Kikujiro

Announcing a new KOF at E3 wouldn't be a great idea, it would be dwarfed by all the other news and it wouldn't get the spotlight it deserves.
TGS makes more sense.

I find it incredibly interesting how reseeding brackets after pools is the norm (or even preferred/desirable) for Smash tournaments, while it is an unthinkable act for a current FGC tournament.

I think the FGC is right on this one, personally.

How do they reseed?

On a different topic:

GAF--- Let's make predictions for E3. What do you think we'll get on the SF5 front? Multiple character reveals? Alpha test for those who attend the theater presentations ala how Destiny had Alpha codes for those who went to it last year? Ono on stage? Playable booth? Beta date announcement?

Other Ocean doing the SF5 PC port.

NEO0MJ

Other Ocean doing the SF5 PC port.

Will-Smith-Yelling-No-I-Am-Legend.gif

Won't SF5 be playable at CEO? Just 4 characters? Hope there's a reveal next week.

I wouldn't be surprised if CEO gets some super old pre-E3 build

I hope Capcom is taking this whole "promoting to the community" thing seriously, but seeing the PS4 Ultra port I'm not so sure.

I hope Capcom is taking this whole "promoting to the community" thing seriously, but seeing the PS4 Ultra port I'm not so sure.

If it has 4 characters, it's the E3 build the press will see or saw already in pre-E3 meetings.

alstein

What I want to see is PC port announcements. Tekken and KI are most likely to do so.

Unlikely. All I really do is yell at people to play psychologically.

When it comes to basic or universal stuff, it really depends on how different SF5 is.

That could probably be used against you in tournies. A sneaky player might try to not use psychology on you to annoy you into mistakes. I've often found psychological to be another word for orthodox (but if you think someone is expecting you to go weird, you have to be able to play orthodox as a mixup)

At this point my main enjoyment of E3 is watching the Giantbomb guys do live commentary over the press conferences. Pretty much all news or information of note either leaks beforehand, or we know within like 12 hours of the first day now.

From about 2005 onwards I've watched E3 as a circus of incompetent decisionmaking.

Well, about 5+ years ago you could still get licensed property games built with super small budgets and a development time of a year. Look at the shit KI got for pushing out a product in under a year of development time. Now those games exist on mobile, and of course the B game is sorta dead or dying because of higher development costs. 2 or 3 years is still probably the median and maybe I'm looking into high profile delays a bit but I'm also taking into account post-launch support becoming more and more extensive, multiple studios juggling big IPs, etc.

Yeah. What the last generation did was kill the midsize developer and the middle of the road game. Now it's do the same old dull AAA dance where every game is a wannabe movie action game with RPG elements and two failures will bankrupt you or go small.

NEO0MJ

What I want to see is PC port announcements. Tekken and KI are most likely to do so.

Man I'd love KI on PC. I think MS will do a better ob with it than WB did with MKX.

Now it's do the same old dull AAA dance where every game is a wannabe movie action game with RPG elements and two failures will bankrupt you or go small.

It's sad seeing Itagaki fade away.

I made a combo video for KING in TEKKEN 7. Check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54tudHyuIQ0

Which character do you want to see next?

Shaheen, please.

alstein

From about 2005 onwards I've watched E3 as a circus of incompetent decisionmaking.

Yeah. What the last generation did was kill the midsize developer and the middle of the road game. Now it's do the same old dull AAA dance where every game is a wannabe movie action game with RPG elements and two failures will bankrupt you or go small.

They aren't dead, they just moved to PC. Companies like Paradox and Stardock are doing quite well.

I'd argue 2d fighting games are midsize developers for the most part.

Lab Zero's budget for Skullgirls is in line with what Age of Wonders 3 cost.

I suspect their budget was similar to Blazblue or Persona as well.

TheChits

I'm still at Rank 4 thanks to my brother hogging the system and game all weekend. I was supposed to at least finish the single player stuff first but nooooo...

On another note, best Nintendo end boss sequence since The Wonderful 101 and best music in a modern Nintendo game F-R-E-E free.

I don't have it yet, but I refuse to believe it can have the best music "free" when Tropical Freeze exists.

ibrahima

Banned
If you have even a modicum of love for hip-hop, surf rock, and various types of electronica, you are going to adore this OST.

Ha ha you just convinced me to get it. You fucker! I wasn't even following your conversation and my eyes lit up whilst skimming through

CurlyW

How do they reseed?

I think they often do it based on a pre-determined non-public ranking list made prior to the tournament. So it's at least slightly different from the way ECT & Seasons Beatings used to do it. I don't think it's better though, since it still gives the impression of manipulating the tournament once it's underway. Additionally, I feel that while you can use ranking lists to seed the tournament initially, all match ups from then on should be decided only by performance at the tournament.

I think it's mostly due to a desire in the Smash community to have fully-accurate ranking lists and maximally fair tournaments, but for 99% of players, the exact order of rankings is pretty much arbitrary.

Juggleguy and I had a long conversation about this stuff at Combo Breaker. He's one of the few Smash TOs that doesn't like reseeding.

haven't thought about a fighting game with splatoon out, this shit is too good

it might be july before i get the itch to push buttons again

Dahbomb

LMAO @ the FChamp/Full Schedule drama on twitter.

Also I have no idea who Mixup is.

In any case FChamp would whoop both in a MM. The EBT thing was hilarious though...

That could probably be used against you in tournies.

That's not what I mean. I yell at low- and intermediate- level players to try and play psychologically because it is necessary for improvement. Without that aspect you really can't stop a Bison from using HK or a Karate from using hop CD.

It's not about "you beat me because you didn't change it up". It's about my general goal of making FGC members play smarter and with more awareness, instead of just X-copying until they can't anymore.

Anne

Juicebox, help me out here :<

I've been working on getting better in that aspect, and it's paid off in Persona quite a bit. Most of the players who were on the good end I beat pretty consistently now, but when I play guys like Lord Knight or BananaKen, I end up getting a few games then they get a bead on me and I can't keep up orz. I mostly get shut down on my approach or they position themselves in ways where I can hang myself, and Idk what to be doing in those spots tbh. I try to play back and forth and look for the spots, but once they get conservative I fold.

Juicebox, help me out here :<

I mostly get shut down on my approach or they position themselves in ways where I can hang myself, and Idk what to be doing in those spots tbh. I try to play back and forth and look for the spots, but once they get conservative I fold.

This sounds like "my neutral, especially when trying to break someone's defensive play, is inconsistent or just straight up bad against great players."

Usually what that means is that you need more misdirection and hesitation. Try things like:

1) jump in, airdash away
2) run in, then block or jump back
3) walk forward without any intent of attacking

These are all subtle ways of trying to get an opponent to act, and are useful against people who spend their time waiting for you to hang yourself. Notice their reactions to these strategies and try to read accordingly.

Crocodile

It makes the most sense for Capcom to bring whatever build they will bring to E3. Carrying around multiple builds (that would have to be bug tested and what not) seems like a waste of time and energy.

Anne

Thanks. It's more inconsistent than bad on a normal day. It's just going from mid > high level is a rough transition because those guys adapt incredibly fast. That's more or less how I know if I'm fighting somebody good these days.

I also do all those things, I guess I should just think harder about how they're reacting to them. It's a weird position to be in.

I also do all those things, I guess I should just think harder about how they're reacting to them. It's a weird position to be in.

Pretty much. Great players are often scouting Level 1 neutral tactics, so you have to bring a good Level 2/3 game or you'll never break their comfort zone.

Intermediate players can do Level 2/3 stuff on knockdowns, but they often haven't put in that work for neutral (because no one else has). I find that to be a defining characteristic of high-level play.

Top Bottom