• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Nov 11-17 | EVO Champions Not Guaranteed

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
main.jpg

http://www.snkplaymore.co.jp/

Damn, those are some ugly ugly ugly 3D models!
Goodness that art is so cheesy.

KoFXIV will be intradasting.

kick51

Banned
This is gonna be a hell of a burger king cross promotional free tower defense iOS game that comes with a japanese cheeseburger.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
This thread makes me wonder if they play fightman games in Iraq.

I bet there's like some super-godly Chun player or something there and nobody knows.

I've always kind of wondered why you never hear much of anything about Russia too.

Dahbomb

This thread makes me wonder if they play fightman games in Iraq.

I bet there's like some super-godly Chun player or something there and nobody knows.

I've always kind of wondered why you never hear much of anything about Russia too.
I don't know about fighting games but DOTA 2 is huge in Russia. Its pretty much a parody now.

I am sure there are good fighting game players in Iraq but they probably aren't god tier. Its all about the level of competition at your area and most countries don't have good internet to coast on being an online warrior.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
I don't know about fighting games but DOTA 2 is huge in Russia. Its pretty much a parody now.

I am sure there are good fighting game players in Iraq but they probably aren't god tier. Its all about the level of competition at your area and most countries don't have good internet to coast on being an online warrior.

Kuwait has some super legit AE players. Granted, their living situation is pretty different, so you're probably right if people in Iraq have to rely soley on netplay.

BadWolf

Wonder if that's Terry or an older Rock? The new KOF is rumored to be a dream match after all. Having Terry, Rock and Geese in one game would be pretty boss.

If its Terry then I didn't think SNK would ever give him that short a haircut.

And Mary looks good (if that's her).

Oh and someone mentioned elsewhere that their new site is more gaming focused now (the previous design was more around Pachinko), which is great. The new president doing work.

Dahbomb

There is raw talent everywhere to be honest but two factors keep other countries from matching the level of the West and East Asian countries... infrastructure and stigma related with competitive gaming.

I know a Tekken player from Pakistan who is good enough to hang with the pros in the US. He is banned at most locals in our city because he wins everything. Still he never even considered being best in the world or traveling to US to compete in EVO. We both went to the same medical school so that should tell what our main priority was... hard to play games and be in that competitive scene while trying to pass tough professionals.

There's a Russian scene! There's an amazing Russian player called Sim who came to Super VS Battle 2011 with Kuma and Kung Lao. He made a guy cry in Tekken T8 because nearly everyone in the room was cheering on his Kuma. Super nice bloke.

Dahbomb

A local scene that bans people because they win too much sounds pretty retarded.
He's not banned from playing there, he's banned from competing in the weeklies. He still gets to compete in the bigger tourneys.

I asked the guy who runs the place why he did that and he said that it discouraged new players and it was bad for business.

BadWolf

Actually there were a few notable character changes, such as Billy's HD invincibility, and Shen gaining meter with his Danken

The changes are more bug fixes than anything and none of them have a bearing on any character's place in a tier list.

casperOne

Stuff about vBulliten.

Stuff about vBulliten.

Stuff about vBulliten.

From what I can tell, GAF is running on version 3.8.7:

EHFSEzf.png

vBulliten is currently on version 5.0.

I imagine that there are performance improvements in the new version, but I agree with the previous sentiment that custom forks are made to make sites highly scalable.

A question that I have for the members of FGC-GAF is: are you here because it's GAF and you want to look at a bunch of other stuff on GAF, or are you here because you spend most of your time in the FGC weekly thread?

I hate it when gifs have text that don't look like they match the video. All I can do is look at the lips and try to figure out what's being said...

I'm not an expert lip reader, but it seems that he's saying "It's done", not "it's now law."

I have no link, but at the start of Battle Circuit Sp00ky said he'd be streaming KI at Next Level on Saturday.

You mentioned that Double Helix was backing it in some way, did Sp00ky say that as well?

Also, I'm personally hoping GGXrd really takes off in the scene.

I believe that it will have one year of really good exposure in the FGC by default (because of how new it is) once it's released. Whether or not it can sustain that will be TBD. I'd expect an Evo 2015 slot though if somehow the logistics of Evo being moneyhatted by MS can be worked around.

And hopefully, they can get it done on PS4, even though the FGC as a whole will probably adopt the PS3 version as the standard because logistically, it makes the game more accessible to more people.

Morning

Just saw the snk image. I finished all four endings in Nier recently. Now I get where all the character data went.
Competition is good, you say?

When non-Capcom games catch up with regards to character design and broad appeal, you might actually see that. Every competitor confines itself in some aspect of the sort where as SF doesn't. KI has potential, but it's limited by the platform it's on.

Everything else changes. Other games have more robust featuresets, better training modes, better netcode, better stories, etc. And yet still, the most important thing is still the characters. It's even a factor for MK, which, despite what I'd call generally lazy character design, finds a way to identify with people. Part of it is nostalgia, yeah, but it's also part having strong, iconic archetypes with great design to boot. I mean how many other fighting games can you have something like this identify with so many people?

minimalist-street-fighter.png
No thanks

Cool image
But Also, I'm personally hoping GGXrd really takes off in the scene.
Not even if it plays as good as it looks.

Horseress

A question that I have for the members of FGC-GAF is: are you here because it's GAF and you want to look at a bunch of other stuff on GAF, or are you here because you spend most of your time in the FGC weekly thread?

I'm here mostly for FGW, but I love to look around other threads, GAF is the best source for gaming news there is (and for gif's as well)

From what I can tell, GAF is running on version 3.8.7:

I'm here for both. There are some great topics in ot

smurfx

get some go again
i come to neogaf for the off topic forum and come to this thread once in a while.

I like FGW and other parts of gaf. I like to stay up to date on gaming news. I pretty much quit playing fighting games hardcore like I did in the past. Been playing the backlog single player games at the moment (YO ACE ATTORNEY IS GAWDLIKE)

Horseress

Hey, Ono said there would be some announcement this week! The new mechanics were announced on a Thursday, probably the new announcement will be done today

Dumb question, but can anyone tell me what the name of the official stick thread is? My Google-fu is weak, and I have a TE-related question.

Oh, and the later Kokonoe combo challenges are proof that god hates us, and wants us to be unhappy.

Top Bottom