• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Nov 11-17 | EVO Champions Not Guaranteed

Didn't Alpha 3 retcon Sagat being a member of Shadowloo by the SF2 tournament? That must have been pretty awkward considering his position as one of the grandmasters

Bison: So uh...Sagat. I know last time shit didn't end well, me blowing up and killing Charlie and whatnot but uh...I'm running a new World Warrior tournament and it would look real good if the former champ was there, ya feel me?
Not many jobs in Thailand for people with disabilities.

vulva

Is it true that Boxer bankrupted Shadaloo once he took over upon Dictator's death, and then was hired back immediately after Bison came back to life?

Dahbomb

Remember when Ryu had a younger brother who had absurd powers and was living in Brazil with Ryu's mom?

Shun.png

Oh shit..... THAT's the 5th USF4 character!

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
If they aren't going to give us Pocket Fighter 2 at least give us Ken's son. Just have him be a mini version of Ken.

Silky

Banned
OH SHIT WE'RE TALKING ABOUT FIGHTING GAME STO--oh it's SF

call me back when we're talking about Fatal Fury

Serious question: When, and where is NEC.

Didn't Alpha 3 retcon Sagat being a member of Shadowloo by the SF2 tournament? That must have been pretty awkward considering his position as one of the grandmasters

Bison: So uh...Sagat. I know last time shit didn't end well, me blowing up and killing Charlie and whatnot but uh...I'm running a new World Warrior tournament and it would look real good if the former champ was there, ya feel me?

Nope. The Alpha series served 1 actual purpose and that was to kill Charlie and in proxy Bison to get his SF2 body. The majority of the other stuff you actually see never happens at all. Sagat walked through the Alpha series looking for a rematch he "technically" canonically didn't get and still hasn't gotten yet as of SF4. The only other thing the Alpha series actually did was sit Cammy on the steps of Delta Red. Everything else isn't as important or has no canonical value to even speak of it as an event that took place.

Is it true that Boxer bankrupted Shadaloo once he took over upon Dictator's death, and then was hired back immediately after Bison came back to life?

This may have happened. And probably did but there's no actual proof it did.

call me back when we're talking about Fatal Fury

FF1 was retconned by Wild Ambition and Krauser killed himself after FF2. Geese dies in RB1 which sets up Garou.

Horseress

Remember when Ryu had a younger brother who had absurd powers and was living in Brazil with Ryu's mom?

Shun.png

Oh shit..... THAT's the 5th USF4 character!

Is Ryu's mom Brazilian? I want her to be the 5th character! But since it's Capcom she'll probably be all green and hairy and looking like a goddamn abomination

Oh well I really appreciate that! But I was just messing around, I'm not overly concerned about how many people watch. It's a fun thing to do and I know some people appreciate it. That's all I really care about getting from it.

actually maybe i should quit lawyerin to play video games on the interlol nope

Haha, yea I figured you were just joking

yo damn

y'all riding a train on ol GB

yea god damn lol

Mr. X

You made the shotgun work by learning how to quick swap to a sidearm and run to the oposite side they are facing after a knockdown.

Stun shotgun blast was actually better overall if I Remember right

Lag made the shotgun suck. Your opponent could fire off a couple shots while they were still invincible from the reelback. Better players were good at aiming with free camera before aiming so it was literally coin flip at times. Of course, this made it kind of more exciting, though frustrating.

Stun shells were the most fun.
So was CQC equipped with shotgun.

Sandfox

Bison should hire Cody since LORE WISE he is the strongest street fighter character that doesn't have an EDGY EVIL SHOTO side

Is that right? I have to check the pre-SF4 Street Fighter Power Tiers

Tier 1
Akuma, Gill, Oro, SFA3 Bison, Ingrid - the strongest out of the
SFer's. They outclass everyone. These guys are in the godly range (in
some cases like Ingrid, literally).
Tier 2
SF2 M. Bison, Sagat, Ryu, Satsui no Ryu (Evil Ryu), Q(hinted) - the next
bunch
Tier 3
Ken, Gen (and SFA Akuma), Rose, Charlie, Urien, Cody, Guy, Cammy? (FF:SW),
Kyle?, Haggar?
Tier 4
Guile, Chun-Li, Hugo, Sodom, Rolento, Vega, Twelve (hinted), Maki
Tier 5
Adon, Sakura, Balrog, Cammy, Zangief, Dhalsim, T Hawk, Alex, Eagle
(Saiki places Cody and Guy here, but I think they should go higher)
Tier 6
Everyone else but Tier 7 (things get really sloppy here, due to how most
characters below tier 5 do not have enough storyline info to tier on
noncircumstantial evidence). A pretty good guess, I think, would be this
(consider the rest of the characters in this tier and below to just be
hinted)
Tier 6
The Twelve Dolls, Karin, Birdie, Necro, Dudley
(Saiki places Rolento and Sodom here, but I think they should go higher)
Tier 7
Blanka, Fei Long, Honda
Tier 8
Makoto, Ibuki, Elena, Yun, Yang, Remy?
Tier 9
Dee Jay, R. Mika, Dan
Tier 10
Sean

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Lag made the shotgun suck. Your opponent could fire off a couple shots while they were still invincible from the reelback. Better players were good at aiming with free camera before aiming so it was literally coin flip at times. Of course, this made it kind of more exciting, though frustrating.

Stun shells were the most fun.
So was CQC equipped with shotgun.

Well that's why you ran to the oposite side of the knockdown right away haha. I mained shotty in it. So I know it was a pain to use XD

.la1n

There are so many things wrong with KI on a fundimental level its hilarious. KI is less of a fighting game than Smash Bros.

I am legitimately curious what you find wrong with it on a fundamental level, I will be the first to admit I am not a wealth of knowledge when it comes to analyzing fighting games. I am not convinced it will be a game I would play for a substantial amount of time but on the surface it appears fun, having no hands on experience I can't really speak for it.

vulva

Here's the thing. Nothing in SF4 actually states this took place but there have been nods to said event but no proof either way. And surprisingly enough the only game that makes mention of this as an event is SVC Chaos.

so if I continue believing it happened, all hints imply I'm correct even if it's not actually confirmed?

I am legitimately curious what you find wrong with it on a fundamental level, I will be the first to admit I am not a wealth of knowledge when it comes to analyzing fighting games. I am not convinced it will be a game I would play for a substantial amount of time but on the surface it appears fun, having no hands on experience I can't really speak for it.
You know the Marvel TAC system, and how it's the worst part of the game? Now imagine every hit of a combo is a TAC. Tada~!

Is that right? I have to check the pre-SF4 Street Fighter Power Tiers

Tier 1
Akuma, Gill, Oro, SFA3 Bison, Ingrid - the strongest out of the
SFer's. They outclass everyone. These guys are in the godly range (in
some cases like Ingrid, literally).
Tier 2
SF2 M. Bison, Sagat, Ryu, Satsui no Ryu (Evil Ryu), Q(hinted) - the next
bunch
Tier 3
Ken, Gen (and SFA Akuma), Rose, Charlie, Urien, Cody, Guy, Cammy? (FF:SW),
Kyle?, Haggar?
Tier 4
Guile, Chun-Li, Hugo, Sodom, Rolento, Vega, Twelve (hinted), Maki
Tier 5
Adon, Sakura, Balrog, Cammy, Zangief, Dhalsim, T Hawk, Alex, Eagle
(Saiki places Cody and Guy here, but I think they should go higher)
Tier 6
Everyone else but Tier 7 (things get really sloppy here, due to how most
characters below tier 5 do not have enough storyline info to tier on
noncircumstantial evidence). A pretty good guess, I think, would be this
(consider the rest of the characters in this tier and below to just be
hinted)
Tier 6
The Twelve Dolls, Karin, Birdie, Necro, Dudley
(Saiki places Rolento and Sodom here, but I think they should go higher)
Tier 7
Blanka, Fei Long, Honda
Tier 8
Makoto, Ibuki, Elena, Yun, Yang, Remy?
Tier 9
Dee Jay, R. Mika, Dan
Tier 10
Sean

woah why is the 3rd strike cast so low? I mean, Makoto should be pretty decent tier right?

I remember hearing some shit that sakura had potential to surpass like 99% of the SF cast. But her thirst for ryu stops her. SF is all fucked up lore wise.

.la1n

I never understood the hate for KI. I honestly loved KI back in the 90's. The combos were ridiculous and fun.

I always put it in the same category as Mortal Kombat back then, it was fun to get together with friends and play it but I never took it as seriously as King of Fighters or Street Fighter. A lot of fun in it's own right though. It seems they are making an effort to keep what made the originals fun but inject modern fighting game sensibilities. I suppose we will see if it works.

Silky

Banned
FF1 was retconned by Wild Ambition and Krauser killed himself after FF2. Geese dies in RB1 which sets up Garou.

So it's WA > 2 > 3 > RB > RB2 > Garou > Max. Impact > Max. Impact 2, right? Considering Max. Impact follows Garou canon than KOF canon.

I hated Wild Ambition, but I do remember that game is the reason why Geese doesn't fall from a tower and die in the first game. So with just that change, the Jin scroll stuff is still stable, right?

That sounds pretty awful, are we sure it's similar?
Yup.

You can combo-break at any hit of a combo? I thought you could break after a certain sequence of hits
Well, any sequence. The point doesn't stand or fall on a technicality. It will still not be fun mashing A because you think the opponent is going to do one extension, etc. The game will be a joke in the competitive scene, I promise you. It will make MK9 and Injustice look like they had longevity.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
woah why is the 3rd strike cast so low? I mean, Makoto should be pretty decent tier right?
What do you mean? Look at Oro, Q, Gil, Urien

Fuck I don't remember where I read it at but it was something like getting punched by Q was on par with eating a hadoken from ryu fully charged up

It would take a long time to explain but basically it has to do with the way the combo/breaker system works with the neutral game. They do not compliment each other in such a way that it will lead to a deep, fun, and interesting game.

It all stems from the fact KI was developed by guys back in the day that didnt understand fighting games and thought combos were cheap and what people liked about combos was the # of hits in them.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
There are so many things wrong with KI on a fundimental level its hilarious. KI is less of a fighting game than Smash Bros.

You must be on some shit.

When I am down at my lowest and I need some miraculous drug to help me think crazy terms, I am going to HIT you up.

Thank you for this post.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
It would take a long time to explain but basically it has to do with the way the combo/breaker system works with the neutral game. They do not compliment each other in such a way that it will lead to a deep, fun, and interesting game.

It all stems from the fact KI was developed by guys back in the day that didnt understand fighting games and thought combos were cheap and what people liked about combos was the # of hits in them.

You have no idea what you're talking about. Explain it. I want to hear your thoughts.

Also, the guys who developed the original KI or the current one? I assure you the original and the current team has people involve that understand fighting games competitively.

ismk

I always put it in the same category as Mortal Kombat back then, it was fun to get together with friends and play it but I never took it as seriously as King of Fighters or Street Fighter. A lot of fun in it's own right though. It seems they are making an effort to keep what made the originals fun but inject modern fighting game sensibilities. I suppose we will see if it works.

I think the new KI will be shunned or won't last long since it's a console exclusive and has a very shallow character selection.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";89474617]A hadoken from ryu is the same strength as his punch.[/QUOTE]

It says a fully charged hadouken though. Shouldn't that be like a Metsu Hadouken? I would think a Metsu hadouken would hurt more than a punch.

Mr. X

Melee is a better fighting game than many out there despite what the old guard and those that parrot them think.

Silky

Banned

so you think things like zoning/poking and leading those into combos or whatever won't work/feel right because of the combo breakers? I don't understand where you're coming from.

Top Bottom