• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Nov 11-17 | EVO Champions Not Guaranteed

You have no idea what you're talking about. Explain it. I want to hear your thoughts.

Also, the guys who developed the original KI or the current one? I assure you the original and the current team has people involve that understand fighting games competitively.

Ill explain when I am not busy and have time to sit infront of a keyboard and type it out. Im currently out and about on a mobile phone. I'll PM you later with a through explination.

KI definitely doesn't look like my type of game, but the more pressing matters are the particles and janky animations. I have bad eyesight and certain games give me motion sickness.

KI gives me really bad headaches whenever I watch the videos of it so I don't think I would ever give it an honest chance. It's hard to play games with rapid moment, shaking cameras or lots of explosive things going on. That usually just means games like Call of Duty, though.

Silky

Banned
The plot of every tekken is throw your dad / son into a volcano

Tekken's the only game I know that does character development for newcomers and just stops for bullshit, and the only other character development is seen in non canon titles.

Not to mention it's the Mary Sue capital of Fighting Games. I can't wait for certain additions to be ret-conned
Lars

Fuck Tekken's writers, man.

Astarte

I don't know what the fuck's even going on in Tekken at this point, except that the Mishimas live only to shit all over each other

Miranda plays Tekken?

1049.gif

so if I continue believing it happened, all hints imply I'm correct even if it's not actually confirmed?

Yep. The wonders of canon.

You can't balance bank accounts with boxing gloves on 24/7, turns out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBHxXufqOEY

I remember hearing some shit that sakura had potential to surpass like 99% of the SF cast. But her thirst for ryu stops her. SF is all fucked up lore wise.

Sakura is Gohan. The potential to do whatever but severely wasted. Shame.

So it's WA > 2 > 3 > RB > RB2 > Garou > Max. Impact > Max. Impact 2, right? Considering Max. Impact follows Garou canon than KOF canon.

I hated Wild Ambition, but I do remember that game is the reason why Geese doesn't fall from a tower and die in the first game. So with just that change, the Jin scroll stuff is still stable, right?

RB2 is questionable in canon since we found out Krauser killed himself which threw a lot of stuff out of wack. If you want to say that introducing Rick & Xiangfei into canon makes it a canon game then you can.

The Jin Scrolls were a FF3 thing. And they become very important in how canon flows once he gets them. Geese originally survived the first fall by inventing the Shippuken during that decent to the South Town streets.

When it comes everything else as of now there are 3 different canon possibilities.

You have the FF canon which ends at Kizuna Encounter and may possibly go further than even that depending on how you look at the SNKverse.

You have the KoF canon where Geese doesn't die at the end RB1 with the Jin Scrolls actually working. And KoF is currently in the time where Garou would've taken place. With this assumption Rock may be in the next canon game. I hope anyway.

And you have the MI games that replace Garou in the standard FF canon.

Silky

Banned
I think I had Tekken's story right until around Tekken 5. I lost the plot after that one

It is usually around the time when Jin becomes a living contradiction in 5 that people just give up on the story.

Dammit, where the hell is Kunimitsu, in all of this. Her only appearance in a non-canon fighter? She's the only piece that can save Yoshimitsu from being fucking comic relief

RB2 is questionable in canon since we found out Krauser killed himself which threw a lot of stuff out of wack. If you want to say that introducing Rick & Xiangfei into canon makes it a canon game then you can.

When it comes everything else as of now there are 3 different canon possibilities.

You have the FF canon which ends at Kizuna Encounter and may possibly go further than even that depending on how you look at the SNKverse.

You have the KoF canon where Geese doesn't die at the end RB1. And KoF is currently in the time where Garou would've taken place. With this assumption Rock may be in the next canon game. I hope anyway.

And you have the MI games that replace Garou in the standard FF canon.

I don't even think the FF story even advances if we're going to consider KOF as part of the time line, I mean FFS the Fatal Fury team are still in their twenties. XI, which showed Garou!Terry, would made sense if that was where the FF canon would continue ( I mean dude we even got to see an older Joe in XI), but lol XIII said nope and brough back classic terry. For the sake of fanservice, of course.)

FF ending at Kizuna Encounter, though.

Honestly I'm one of those weird people that think SNK has one giant, consistent storyline in which it goes:

SamSho > TLB > World Heroes > AoF > FF > KOF > Garou: MoW > Kizuna,

but when you reach KOF it splinters off into these weird stems in this giant ass tree of inconsistencies.

EDIT: Huh. Shippuken was crafted just for that reason? Geese Howard is a crafty motherfucker.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";89475577]KI definitely doesn't look like my type of game, but the more pressing matters are the particles and janky animations. I have bad eyesight and certain games give me motion sickness.

KI gives me really bad headaches whenever I watch the videos of it so I don't think I would ever give it an honest chance. It's hard to play games with rapid moment, shaking cameras or lots of explosive things going on. That usually just means games like Call of Duty, though.[/QUOTE]
I think I might have a similar issue with Marvel. I can't see crap on the training stage when I'm playing.

JeTmAn81

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";89476067]Man I love food. I went to this place called The Joy of Eating this weekend. Best toast ever.[/QUOTE]

I wonder what fancy toast tastes like. You should start another thread.

.la1n

I think I had Tekken's story right until around Tekken 5. I lost the plot after that one

Yeah I think 6 was where they started to lose me. To be fair 6 is the only canon title released after 5 so far (well unless count DR.) I never forgave them for locking ending movies behind that awful story mode.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";89476067]Man I love food. I went to this place called The Joy of Eating this weekend. Best toast ever.[/QUOTE]

Was it a whole loaf of

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";89476779]"I just bought a $3 loaf of bread"[/QUOTE]

God damn you God's Beard.

Kumubou

Man, this thread is good. You goofs arguing about FG stories for pages... *hides the MB fanfics*

Also, the guys who developed the original KI or the current one? I assure you the original and the current team has people involve that understand fighting games competitively.
I find the first part very hard to believe, given some of the changes that were made in the original KI. Who thought trying to get rid of things like throws was a good idea?

I can kind of see the point with regards to the criticism of the new KI (even thought I only got to play it at Evo for a bit). My biggest concern is that the combo/breaker system devolves into the same kind of silliness ground stun combos in DoA games have (with the strike/hold dynamic, reacting to strings with holds and reacting to holds with throws, etc.). How is this avoided in the new KI?

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";89476779]"I just bought a $3 loaf of bread"[/QUOTE]

Outside of videogames, sequels are seldom as good as the original

.la1n

Man, this thread is good. You goofs arguing about FG stories for pages... *hides the MB fanfics*

I find the first part very hard to believe, given some of the changes that were made in the original KI. Who thought trying to get rid of things like throws was a good idea?

I can kind of see the point with regards to the criticism of the new KI (even thought I only got to play it at Evo for a bit). My biggest concern is that the combo/breaker system devolves into the same kind of silliness ground stun combos in DoA games have (with the strike/hold dynamic, reacting to strings with holds and reacting to holds with throws, etc.). How is this avoided in the new KI?

You can thank Ken Lobb for that, he despised throws. Warmed up to them recently but apparently they are still a good way to get him salty.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I'm still dying at the fact GB bought a microwaved campbell's soup with what looks to be a half eaten loaf of bread for $30. LOL.

Silky

Banned

Mixing up your combos. Manuals are the hardest to break, but at the same time they're the hardest to implement in your combos. Auto-doubles are the easiest to pull off/break, and linkers (specials) are in the middle.

Dammit, where the hell is Kunimitsu, in all of this. Her only appearance in a non-canon fighter? She's the only piece that can save Yoshimitsu from being fucking comic relief

She's the only confirmed character who died at the hands of Ogre. Jun's death is left in conjecture and the fans choose to believe what they want until something's confirmed.

I don't even think the FF story even advances if we're going to consider KOF as part of the time line, I mean FFS the Fatal Fury team are still in their twenties. XI, which showed Garou!Terry, would made sense if that was where the FF canon would continue ( I mean dude we even got to see an older Joe in XI), but lol XIII said nope and brough back classic terry. For the sake of fanservice, of course.)

FF ending at Kizuna Encounter, though.

Honestly I'm one of those weird people that think SNK has one giant, consistent storyline in which it goes:

SamSho > TLB > World Heroes > AoF > FF > KOF > Garou: MoW > Kizuna,

but when you reach KOF it splinters off into these weird stems in this giant ass tree of inconsistencies.

EDIT: Huh. Shippuken was crafted just for that reason? Geese Howard is a crafty motherfucker.

FF when it comes to KoF does a weird thing with the timeline to make it all work. Most events still happen as they did but sooner. Mainly the gap between AoF2 & WA. When you get to FF3 and the Jin Scrolls is where things start to get weird. In between the time where FF3 ends before RB1 begins is when KoF 94 happens and after RB1 is KoF 95 & the events of AoF 3 for some reason. After this the games in the FF storyline happen to varying degrees but take a backseat to any canonical KoF event until they get ignored in the Tales of Ash where Garou doesn't happen because Geese is very alive.

You're right about SNK having one humongous story line. Here's the thing. SS isn't canon but Last Blade is thanks to Zantetsu. World Heroes is questionable seeing as ADK games weren't absorbed by the SNKverse until recently. It may fit in there somewhere.

.la1n

Kunimitsu died by Ogre? Dammit we need her back. Just resurrect her with robotics. I am one of the people who refuses to believe Jun was killed :p

Silky

Banned
You're right about SNK having one humongous story line. Here's the thing. SS isn't canon but Last Blade is thanks to Zantetsu. World Heroes is questionable seeing as ADK games weren't absorbed by the SNKverse until recently. It may fit in there somewhere.

Didn't SamSho Warriors' Rage allude to a lot of KOF stuff like Orochi?

>Kunimitsu killed by Ogre

Time for Bosconovitch to get to work.

Kumubou

Mixing up your combos. Manuals are the hardest to break, but at the same time they're the hardest to implement in your combos. Auto-doubles are the easiest to pull off/break, and linkers (specials) are in the middle.
I guess I'm not seeing it -- and I also wonder what happens once people get good enough to break nearly anything on reaction. That seems like it would get super stupid (as it would come down to guess if they're going to counter break or not).

French Bread would have to be #1 -- what other kind of bread makes fighting games?

Kunimitsu as a goth loli ninja robot sure
I would play the everliving shit out of Tekken if this actually happened.

Jazz-ism

Banned
A bad bread for a bad fighting game dev

a bad dev that makes their games better with every iteration? try again

they arent a bad dev...they are a dumb one tho. idk why french bread doesnt give the people what they want on accessible platforms. if mbhd released on steam with good netplay good god almighty

Dahbomb

It would take a long time to explain but basically it has to do with the way the combo/breaker system works with the neutral game. They do not compliment each other in such a way that it will lead to a deep, fun, and interesting game.

It all stems from the fact KI was developed by guys back in the day that didnt understand fighting games and thought combos were cheap and what people liked about combos was the # of hits in them.
You brought up two points, one of which isn't even valid considering most of the people working on the new KI didn't work on the original KI games.

You said that combo and breaker system don't compliment each other but you never explained how. You don't have to worry about taking anyone's time here... people here have enough time to read your posts and respond to them.

Didn't SamSho Warriors' Rage allude to a lot of KOF stuff like Orochi?

Not that I can remember. A lot of what the 64/Warriors Rage games covered was the Asura/Shiki/Yuga issues that only really mattered because of Shiki's obsession with Haohmaru for story reasons. This did get a nice finish in Warriors Rage on PS1.

You brought up two points, one of which isn't even valid considering most of the people working on the new KI didn't work on the original KI games.

You said that combo and breaker system don't compliment each other but you never explained how. You don't have to worry about taking anyone's time here... people here have enough time to read your posts and respond to them.

What I think he is trying to say is that the core game mechanics were built from people who were not fighting game savvy at the time. Forcing the new KI to accept these game mechanics and try to mold them to a modern day competitive fighting game.

basically the foundation isn't built to be competitive.

Honestly KI is DOA 2D. I don't like the combo breaker game mechanic. Too much of the game is center around it.

Dahbomb

I guess we should then be discussing what makes DOA not a "modern competitive" fighter because every time we get a KI discussion going the comparison is made to DOA.

My stance on KI is that until I play it I can't properly comment on it. Like I would have to see how easy/hard it is to perform combo breakers, how much damage you can get before something can get combo broken and weigh the risk/reward.

Top Bottom