• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Nov 11-17 | EVO Champions Not Guaranteed

Clawww

I don't have opinions without reason and if I don't feel like writing a paragraph explaining why I feel the way I do, I don't. I find it odd that, I could care less about other peoples opinions and don't ask them to explain why they feel the way they do yet people want me to explain mine? I don't ask any of you and if I did and you said "I don't really have time or care to explain" I would be fine because, after all, this isn't that important.

I much rather discuss things in person than on the internet as well. I literally had this conversation about KI with someone in person yesterday casually. It would take me forever to write out all my thoughts and explanations why I think the way I do about something. Even what I will send to MarkMan wont be a full breakdown.

Is it really so strange that I don't want to sit in front of my computer and type out paragraph after paragraph to prove to people I've never met that my opinions are founded? It's time consuming and I actually am very busy all the time and am rarely home. Most of the time I post it is from my cell phone on the go, while driving, in between small breaks between jobs at work.

If people think I'm trolling it's whatever but I do think that Smash Bros Melee is more of a fighting game than KI and is a better fighting game than KI free. I really don't think that's so much of a radical opinion but I guess it is.

What do you even get out of posting here, then? What's the fuck point if you don't give a damn about what anyone else thinks and just want to leave little shit posts from your phone on the go. It's a forum, so people do in fact expect and want to hear discussion of opinions. You're basically contributing nothing to these threads; that's not a problem in of itself, but it's annoying because your posts are pretty much always bitter or self-righteous.

Niitris

So where would AoF3 go (unless that was a side story and never even part of the canon).

KI's gameplay looks sloppy and doesn't appear to promote good fundamentals... it's very much like a 2D DoA (at least you don't get rewarded with damage for the correct breaker). Don't see it going very far unless MS makes a heavy commitment.

igpedmWvBXjNO.gif

Kumubou

i don't know if this was really talked about in the previous thread. Saw maybe one post on it, but for those that care, nyu media is interested in bringing unib to western market via pc http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9P45nYUlxg. I don't really care much for it, but it could be interesting as long as that chick w/ those half screen sword normals isn't op anymore
This came up a couple weeks back -- I think the it's kind of hard to believe, especially since they would need to be responsible for the PC release itself. Which means that they would both have to have the staff on hand to handle the port (which is possible, but it would be a much bigger task than anything else they've worked on). They would also need to convince French Bread and Ecole that they can be trusted with the source code, raw assets, and so on. That's probably the hardest part, especially as they have no working relationship with either company. I think it's going to be a heavy lift for them, but I would like to see it work out.

casperOne

so my first year on neogaf was today. I feel like I made a difference in the world

Congrats. Assuming your not serious, but I think you can say it's an accomplishment to say that you contributed to a healthy, respected community in the FGC.

Cali has a good team but they don't have ChrisG

I agree with this. I just hope Chris doesn't get that fatigue of running through the gauntlet.

Depending on the format that Yipes has set up, if it's an elimination format, then obviously Chris plays anchor.

Cain, I think your posts irritate people because they contain a lot of strong opinions, but not a lot of explanation or substantiation. Usually, this is called trolling.

keep-calm-and-don-t-feed-the-troll-48.png

I'm actually a bit surprised that you guys have fed him this long, and that he wasn't realized as one sooner. However, I don't know how GAF culture deals with trolls yet, as I've not seen it, being limited to mainly this thread.

lol viscant

Where's the archive for this (or just tell me which twitch channel it was, I can find it myself, thanks)?

This came up a couple weeks back -- I think the it's kind of hard to believe, especially since they would need to be responsible for the PC release itself. Which means that they would both have to have the staff on hand to handle the port (which is possible, but it would be a much bigger task than anything else they've worked on). They would also need to convince French Bread and Ecole that they can be trusted with the source code, raw assets, and so on. That's probably the hardest part, especially as they have no working relationship with either company. I think it's going to be a heavy lift for them, but I would like to see it work out.

ah, yea I didn't see it in the last two threads so wasn't sure, but yea I do see the difficulty in getting it over here

Congrats. Assuming your not serious, but I think you can say it's an accomplishment to say that you contributed to a healthy, respected community in the FGC.

Yea, haha. never would be able to talk/read about all this stuff/with all you people w/o neogaf. Also would've never been able to write my awesome post-collusiongate fan fic

CPS2

I'm actually a bit surprised that you guys have fed him this long, and that he wasn't realized as one sooner. However, I don't know how GAF culture deals with trolls yet, as I've not seen it, being limited to mainly this thread.

There's barely any trolling at all, they tend to get banned pretty quickly. But if someone makes the effort to back up their opinions then it doesn't really matter if it's in the minority. Or if it's funny/entertaining. I think it works well tho and is why people read GAF.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
If PS3 sticks work on PS4 but 360 doesn't work on XB1......

lolololol microsoft. 1 step forward, 5 steps back.
Its a dev side thing on PS4, so if the devs want their games will support PS3 sticks.
Dunno if injustice will support 'em

Horseress

Ahn....something weird happened.

Saturday I bought 4500 NicoNico points to watch Topanga League and my credit card was accepted (btw if you guys want to buy it for you, maybe I can do it and you pay me back via PayPal). Then I watched some archives and everything was ok. Yesterday I watched the whole day 1 of the A league without any problems, amazing stuff there btw.

Then today I went to my bank's website to check out some stuff, and there's no trace of the NicoNico payment there! Not in the credit card's bill, not in the debit archives, nothing! I don't know if it appears later but I've never seen this happen before

ScOULaris

Its a dev side thing on PS4, so if the devs want their games will support PS3 sticks.
Dunno if injustice will support 'em

Basically, this will allow us to specifically out individual developers as being scumbags. There's no good reason for a dev to not allow PS3 sticks unless they are in some sort of shady cahoots with a stick manufacturer.

Silky

Banned
I believe it's It's AOF>AOF2>WA>2>3>RB>Garou>MI>MI2>Kizuna Encounter for the FF timeline.

Yeah, that sounds right. Wonder where AoF3 and Buriki One goes (because Buriki is part of it, I think.)

EDIT:

AoF3 happened but nothing happened that mattered. The only thing AoF3 does is introduce those characters into the universe. And in proxy Kasumi into the KoF canon for '96.

Sounds right to me. So Future!Robert and Mr. Karate II are pretty much nonexistent/unimportant, yeah?

Basically, this will allow us to specifically out individual developers as being scumbags. There's no good reason for a dev to not allow PS3 sticks unless they are in some sort of shady cahoots with a stick manufacturer.

Or if their game engine encounters serious glitches supporting legacy USB devices...

BiggNife

Esteban/Hold Back To Blocks Kickstarter for his documentary "FGC: Rise of the Fighting Game Community" is now live:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/751732666/fgc-rise-of-the-fighting-game-community

Already gave my contribution.

As someone who knows Esteban personally, he is a super cool dude and y'all should back this. If you haven't seen his stuff before, take a look at his youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/holdbacktoblocktv

He's both a really good video editor and super passionate about the FGC so I'm looking forward to this. He can also kick my ass in Street Fighter so there's that :V

I'm sure Markman can vouch for him too, he's done a few videos with Zhi for Madcatz. I helped a little (by which I mean I held the mic) during a walk through video for Spring Fighter.

.la1n

Not sure how comfortable I feel if it's "up to the developer" whether my PS3 stick is supported. I imagine anyone that stands to make additional money off fighting stick merchandise will opt to not support the legacy sticks in favor of a licensed stick they can make additional revenue off of. Will have to wait until a big name fighter comes out on PS4 and see how it goes.

I'm just curious, is anyone here getting KI3? I'd like to know if anyone is getting the game and will be posting impressions of it in the FGW threads. I love KI ever since I played it as a kid but, I'm not buying a new console to play KI3.

I'm just curious, is anyone here getting KI3? I'd like to know if anyone is getting the game and will be posting impressions of it in the FGW threads. I love KI ever since I played it as a kid but, I'm not buying a new console to play KI3.

I will be watching it from afar. Not really interested in next-gen at the moment.

.la1n

I think Silky will have it day one so may get some impressions there

Yeah, that sounds right. Wonder where AoF3 and Buriki One goes (because Buriki is part of it, I think.)

EDIT:

Sounds right to me. So Future!Robert and Mr. Karate II are pretty much nonexistent/unimportant, yeah?

Well, Mr. Karate II's made 3 appearances since then, and B1 Robert has technically shown up twice, so I wouldn't say they're completely unimportant. But as far as story goes, they're only there as a hint on how Kyokugenryu karate will end up.

Never heard of Wild Ambition replacing Fatal Fury 1 outright before (and I'm not sure how I feel about Meyer, Tung and Hwa Jai being soft-retconned out of the first game, or how early Kim, Yamazaki and Xiangfei would have shown up) but if that's the common idea now, then it is what it is.
I know the Maximum Impact series is its own thing, though; Falcoom mentioned that it was separate from KOF, and Ureshino said that it was separate from FF.

Or if their game engine encounters serious glitches supporting legacy USB devices...

Well, fingers crossed. I certainly hope that they don't run into problems like that. I also hope they don't 'forget' to work in support for older USB sticks, at least in the beginning of the generation.

Even though I am not buying next-gen consoles, there is no way I would accept such an incredibly bad excuse from a developer.

I can only hope that others put their foot down if devs try to cover their asses with "it's inconvenient".

i don't know if this was really talked about in the previous thread. Saw maybe one post on it, but for those that care, nyu media is interested in bringing unib to western market via pc http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9P45nYUlxg. I don't really care much for it, but it could be interesting as long as that chick w/ those half screen sword normals isn't op anymore
Don't mind me. Just dropping by to say that I'd buy the crap out of this. Nyu media seems to have a good track record with steam to boot.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
As someone who knows Esteban personally, he is a super cool dude and y'all should back this. If you haven't seen his stuff before, take a look at his youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/holdbacktoblocktv

He's both a really good video editor and super passionate about the FGC so I'm looking forward to this. He can also kick my ass in Street Fighter so there's that :V

I'm sure Markman can vouch for him too, he's done a few videos with Zhi for Madcatz. I helped a little (by which I mean I held the mic) during a walk through video for Spring Fighter.
Esteban is the real deal, he's been working on this project for a while now.
Pure straight up pasion... a shame that he kinda hates me now. lol

Silky

Banned

I'm getting it, but it'll probably be around christmas time. The OT for KI will be going up later this week tho.

Well, Mr. Karate II's made 3 appearances since then, and B1 Robert has technically shown up twice, so I wouldn't say they're completely unimportant. But as far as story goes, they're only there as a hint on how Kyokugenryu karate will end up.

Never heard of Wild Ambition replacing Fatal Fury 1 outright before (and I'm not sure how I feel about Meyer, Tung and Hwa Jai being soft-retconned out of the first game, or how early Kim, Yamazaki and Xiangfei would have shown up) but if that's the common idea now, then it is what it is.
I know the Maximum Impact series is its own thing, though; Falcoom mentioned that it was separate from KOF, and Ureshino said that it was separate from FF.

Oh my GOD Wild Ambition was so fucking bad, that I never even considered the story. I have it somewhere in my house tho, guess I should replay it.

For what it's worth? If you need a refresher on the FF Storyline, Memories of Stray Wolves got translated recently. You get to here Terry speak in his natural japanese/english tongue, and it's pretty damn informative on the FF storyline.

Esteban is the real deal, he's been working on this project for a while now.
Pure straight up pasion... a shame that he kinda hates me now. lol

He must still be upset about that bait-and-switch you pulled with KOF VS Garou, like the other FF fans - all 9 of 'em.

I'm getting it, but it'll probably be around christmas time. The OT for KI will be going up later this week tho.

Oh my GOD Wild Ambition was so fucking bad, that I never even considered the story. I have it somewhere in my house tho, guess I should replay it.

That's really not necessary, YouTube clips are more than enough!

For what it's worth? If you need a refresher on the FF Storyline, Memories of Stray Wolves got translated recently. You get to here Terry speak in his natural japanese/english tongue, and it's pretty damn informative on the FF storyline.

Thanks for the link. I've only seen summaries of it before, so this should be interesting.

Shito

I'll take it, if I manage to get my hands on an Xbox One around launch.
I may be a bit busy in the coming weeks, though, but I'll sure try to post my impressions of it if I can play it.
Not a big fan of the franchise, though, and as several others of my fellows here I'm not too fond of the combo breaker system; I do like what I saw of Selena though, and I'm quite curious to try her out a little bit...

A small correction. That timeline you quoted shouldn't include MI in it. That game's events happen in a different universe where Kain doesn't gain control over 2nd South Town but instead Alba & Soiree's adopted father Fate does sometime after RB1 which lead up to a similar time line but separate events.

So the timeline does this after RB1 > Garou > Savage Reign > Kizuna Encounter or RB1 > MI > MI2/Regulation A. But not both of these. There's no clear indication of what happens after MI2 because there was supposed to be a 3 but it never happened. So it may as well enter Savage Reign > Kizuna Encounter but there's no evidence of that at all.

On top of that everything AoF happens before Wild Ambition which weirdly makes Mr.Karate II's inclusion canon even though it isn't supposed to be that at all.

Buriki One is a weird one to place anywhere given the information that we know about it. The game states that Ryo is 32 and the game takes place in 1999. No information matches up timeline wise that would allow you to place this game in any timeline and make sense while trying.

If you want to excuse information and make a place for it is that you only get 2 places where you can put this and let it make some sense.

In the FF canon, Buriki One would take place a year after RB1. Ryo would be 10 years older at 42 in this instance. Maybe he lied on his entry form. Seeing as nothing will happen at all for 8 years seems a good of a place as any.

KoF canon gets to set it after KoF '97 but before 2000. Ryo would be 29 in this case. 3 years shy of 32.

Given this information is that this Ryo exists in a separate timeline independent of any one we've mentioned as of now.

And as far as Robert goes is that his design was just so he didn't clash with Mr.Karate II's look in NGBC. Maybe SNK uses it in the future somehow and maybe timeline wise it does exist but as of now the facts give no definite answer to that.

The only thing WA does for canon is retcon Geese falling off the tower in FF1 where he's instead just beaten by Terry in WA. Nothing else happens and characters who appear in WA who "shouldn't" are just there to fill out the roster and those who don't appear are still there but in an unplayable fashion. Tsugumi & Toji withstanding because nobody knows where they fit if they even do.

Horseress

Apparently this is just some dude on Reddit with amazing editing skills, don't know if he really plans to do a game with it, but man, that looks great

Kalamari

Not sure how comfortable I feel if it's "up to the developer" whether my PS3 stick is supported. I imagine anyone that stands to make additional money off fighting stick merchandise will opt to not support the legacy sticks in favor of a licensed stick they can make additional revenue off of. Will have to wait until a big name fighter comes out on PS4 and see how it goes.

I definitely feel more comfortable leaving the decision to the developer than the console producer. Developers want their games to sell well, which means the greater amount of accessibility, the better.

While better accessibility can have some disadvantages when it comes to game design (e.g. a games with very little depth), I can't really see how it would benefit anyone in terms of peripheral use, unless it delivers a substantially better experience than past iterations.

But, I can see how new technology can force peripherals to change, such as when certain connectors become obsolete or when older technology simply becomes too cumbersome to use.

Top Bottom