• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Nov 11-17 | EVO Champions Not Guaranteed

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Low key, HBTB is one of the best fighting game channels. Wish they did more features and videos, but I can at least understand where most of their time/effort is going ATM.

Not sure how comfortable I feel if it's "up to the developer" whether my PS3 stick is supported. I imagine anyone that stands to make additional money off fighting stick merchandise will opt to not support the legacy sticks in favor of a licensed stick they can make additional revenue off of. Will have to wait until a big name fighter comes out on PS4 and see how it goes.
I'd think that getting more people to upgrade because of the ease of it all would make people more interested in spending money on the game + console than forcing (a minority anyways) to plop down $750 or whatever for an X1(or PS4) and a new arcade stick. Seems like a more attractive sell to the consumer.

Leaving more shit up to the developer usually doesn't end well in terms of compatibility. Don't like it at all.

I'd think that getting more people to upgrade because of the ease of it all would make people more interested in spending money on the game + console than forcing (a minority anyways) to plop down $750 or whatever for an X1(or PS4) and a new arcade stick. Seems like a more attractive sell to the consumer.

Leaving more shit up to the developer usually doesn't end well in terms of compatibility. Don't like it at all.

Considering how specialized the audience for sticks is (I want to say 'niche', but I'm sure the amount of sticks that are sold every year are nothing to scoff at), it would be best if there was a clear standard for compatibility right off the bat. Leaving it to the discretion of individual developers might lead to a bunch of disparate, convoluted workarounds for the first couple of years before someone figures out a reasonable approach.

Dahbomb

What team?
Zero (best point character in the game)
Doom (best support character in the game)
Vergil (best anchor character in the game)

According to tiers if you just put those 3 characters on a team chances are that team would be top tier as fuck and you would be right... it's best on "paper" but probably not actual best because Zero lacks Jam Session which is his best assists although either Plasma Beam or Missiles are perfectly fine for him. As far as overall team synergy goes its just shy of Morrigan/Doom/Vergil but honestly overall its at least as good as Zero/Vergil/Dante.

alstein

Don't mind me. Just dropping by to say that I'd buy the crap out of this. Nyu media seems to have a good track record with steam to boot.

I'd buy to support PC fighters (I really believe PC is the future for fighting games- I don't have a lot of faith in the next-gen consoles)

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I'd buy to support PC fighters (I really believe PC is the future for fighting games- I don't have a lot of faith in the next-gen consoles)
Why do you think PCs are the future of fighting games when all the advantages they once had over consoles are now implemented?

Unless Steambox takes off as a console and can be configurable to spec, the platform is fundamentally a pain for the tournament scene. I see no advantages on the player or business end in the face of next gen, outside of Steam Sales.

Clawww

Why do you think PCs are the future of fighting games when all the advantages they once had over consoles are now implemented?

Unless Steambox takes off as a console and can be configurable to spec, the platform is fundamentally a pain for the tournament scene. I see no advantages on the player or business end in the face of next gen, outside of Steam Sales.

We definitely won't be seeing tourneys running games on PC, and it's still easier to hook up a console and pass around physical discs at locals/casuals, but we should continue to see more excellent PC ports, which will help the genre overall. I do agree that I don't really see PC versions changing the state of affairs, outside of maybe making it easier for indie fighters to get started or published, which is very niche anyways. Modding and free online is nice, and definitely makes PC versions better in my opinion, but I don't really think that makes for PC being "the future of fighting games," whatever that means.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";89518897]Why is everything other than Amane so ugly :-([/QUOTE]

I think most of the stages look fine in person, though that train station stage the round metal things are pretty bad xD

Rhapsody

Banned

According to tiers if you just put those 3 characters on a team chances are that team would be top tier as fuck and you would be right... it's best on "paper" but probably not actual best because Zero lacks Jam Session which is his best assists although either Plasma Beam or Missiles are perfectly fine for him. As far as overall team synergy goes its just shy of Morrigan/Doom/Vergil but honestly overall its at least as good as Zero/Vergil/Dante.

That was the first team I was using on week 1 until I switched to ZMC. If I ever go back to it, I actually want to do Zero/Vergil/Doom in that order though. I like the potential in that one a lot more, but of course you're sacrificing Dark Vergil and can also screw yourself if you're left with just Doom then.

It's the same mediocre fighting game with ugly female models.

NOW ON PC!

Question for CP players: Thoughts on Terumi? Kokonoe? there's been talks of possibly banning these two characters from tournies

Is there a link? Kinda want to read about it

It's the same mediocre fighting game with ugly female models.

NOW ON PC!

The male models are ugly too.

I don't know what happened, FChamp was definitely saying he wanted Apologyman over Neo. He even said that Neo would be redundant on his team considering he himself already plays the same team but better.

Either Apologyman couldn't make it or some politics went in.

https://twitter.com/paradiggm/status/400398357186633729
politics confirmed. I hope team cali 2 does better than 1.

FSLink

Banned

Oh, okay. Yeah, that's the team I currently use. It may lack Jam Session but Plasma Beam is definitely still great for mixups, and Doom/Vergil is a better shell than Dante/Vergil or Vergil/Dante. I personally feel it's a more consistent team when Zero goes down so that's why I prefer it over Zero May Cry. Zero May Cry is best if you want to steamroll your opponent so I tend to use it against teams who can't deal with Zero as well.

That was the first team I was using on week 1 until I switched to ZMC. If I ever go back to it, I actually want to do Zero/Vergil/Doom in that order though. I like the potential in that one a lot more, but of course you're sacrificing Dark Vergil and can also screw yourself if you're left with just Doom then.

I'd rather just DHC to Vergil with Doom, and people tend to fear the foot dive more than the helm breaker or yolo Dimensional Slash super from what I notice.

Get Marn fired up and he'll be licking his lips all over.

Fchamplooksgoodenoughtoeat.gif

Top Bottom