• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Figure GAF |OT| Where has all of my money gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never bought a Play-Arts before, but I'm buying a Play Arts Faora when she comes out. No matter what.
You just have to watch out for the human figures, Play Arts has a history of going a little heavy on the shading around the face, which in a worse case scenario can really ruin what is otherwise a decent sculpt. It's better now, especially after they took a lot of heat for the Male Commander Shepard figure. The difference between that and the little to no shading on Female Shepard or Arkham City Robin is night and day. Other common criticisms are the weird knee joints, which are a bit strange, and exposed joints, which if you ask me are no worse than Revoltech. I'd say better since they're more in proportion with the bodies.

Sarah Palmer is a great figure. Excellent sculpt, great paint work (on mine), fantastic articulation and a design that blends nicely with the exposed elbow and wrist joints. That said, if you can only afford one right now, get Tharja. You'll probably have the opportunity to grab Sarah Palmer at a later date for a decent price, Tharja will most skyrocket in price.

They do indeed.

I've participated in more than a few "One Piece Pre-order Battles". It never ceases to amaze me how frantic/insane things get. O_O

Glad I don't watch/read One Piece. I have a friend who's absolutely bonkers for it, though.

You just have to watch out for the human figures, Play Arts has a history of going a little heavy on the shading around the face, which in a worse case scenario can really ruin what is otherwise a decent sculpt. It's better now, especially after they took a lot of heat for the Male Commander Shepard figure. The difference between that and the little to no shading on Female Shepard or Arkham City Robin is night and day. Other common criticisms are the weird knee joints, which are a bit strange, and exposed joints, which if you ask me are no worse than Revoltech. I'd say better since they're more in proportion with the bodies.

Good to know. I don't really plan on buying many of them or anything. I just want an awesome-looking Faora figure, and the statue of her that DC is putting out looks like they got the likeness all wrong.

Good to know. I don't really plan on buying many of them or anything. I just want an awesome-looking Faora figure, and the statue of her that DC is putting out looks like they got the likeness all wrong.
Don't expect a spot-on likeness, that's not really what Play Arts does. If their Dark Knight Rises Catwoman figure is anything to go by, you'll still get a pretty attractive female sculpt.

http://toysdaily.com/discuz/thread-208580-1-1.html

chrono01

AmiAmi pulled her listing similar to how they did for Sailor Moon. -_-

It looks like I'll be ordering from HS again if I can secure a pre-order. I'll post a link here when one becomes available [if it hasn't already been posted].

Less than an hour to go. [Edit - Up on N-Y! http://www.nippon-yasan.com/lang-en/figurines-others/5451-shfiguarts-sailor-mercury.html&force=1]

Also, in-case you're still don't have enough Madoka merchandise:

ihiKvQdHM4eJW.png

Sailor Mercury up at HS!

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10233180

With her pre-ordered, I can now rest.

Best of luck, everyone!

cajunator

Banned
AmiAmi pulled her listing similar to how they did for Sailor Moon. -_-

It looks like I'll be ordering from HS again if I can secure a pre-order. I'll post a link here when one becomes available [if it hasn't already been posted].

Less than an hour to go. [Edit - Up on N-Y! http://www.nippon-yasan.com/lang-en/figurines-others/5451-shfiguarts-sailor-mercury.html&force=1]

Also, in-case you're still don't have enough Madoka merchandise:

ihiKvQdHM4eJW.png

Sailor Mercury up at HS!

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10233180

With her pre-ordered, I can now rest.

Best of luck, everyone!

Oh god. such a cute Madoka >_
I cant give in. I cant!

Speaking of giving in, finally unboxed Nadeko too.
what a cutie!

Jube3

Took some shots of the Hot Toys that came in this month (cept for Cap), Iron Man and Snake Eyes come tomorrow so I wanted to practice shooting figures. Sorry if its too many images, let me know and I can trim em down.

9181044077_9afb5b2d14_z.jpg
9183260818_a060b09cc5_z.jpg

9181043745_3ee51e01ae_z.jpg
9181043855_c4350bf743_z.jpg

9183260026_84868034db_z.jpg
9181044249_c3aa99a90f_z.jpg

9181044745_99b3d8fca0_z.jpg
9181044635_a4c4a1c1e1_z.jpg

Jube3

I still think Loki is the best looking of the HT Avengers. He will be mine later this month.

Edit: nice pics btw!

Thanks man! Coulson is my current favorite HT Avenger followed closely by Loki. Coulson is a really simple figure but so well made. Loki has so much fine detail to it and the stuff he comes with is great and should allow for a lot of shelf variety (handcuffs, mouthpiece, 2 spears). I'm excited to get the MKVII tomorrow as it will be my first HT Iron Man.

I really want to pickup a Hawkeye but hes so expensive right now, I think I will have to wait for Avengers 2 to finish that set.

Baka Zeitgeist

pluck my tasty grapes
Great photo's Jube3, hope you post more soon.

I broke down and bought a Detolf last Thursday, I've never been a fan of how they look, but at the end of the day £40 for shelves that seem perfectly designed for 1/6 scale figures were too good to pass up. It was a pain to get the glass sides aligned, and I still can't figure out why you have to build it upside down and then flip it over, but it does the job.

n4vJi97.jpg

Also nabbed a 1/4 Neca City Hunter Predator while I was in Glasgow, though I don't feel I can safely display him until Neca's universal 1/4 stands come out.

wKL9wx6.jpg

Thanks man! Coulson is my current favorite HT Avenger followed closely by Loki. Coulson is a really simple figure but so well made. Loki has so much fine detail to it and the stuff he comes with is great and should allow for a lot of shelf variety (handcuffs, mouthpiece, 2 spears). I'm excited to get the MKVII tomorrow as it will be my first HT Iron Man.

I really want to pickup a Hawkeye but hes so expensive right now, I think I will have to wait for Avengers 2 to finish that set.

Coulson does look awesome and was kind of a surprise for me. It's great how much effort they put into a figure that is, like you say, quite simple. If he was still available for pre-order price locally I'd grab him.

My Avengers will be rounded out with later films as well. Will probably get Dark World Thor if they do one etc.

Great photo's Jube3, hope you post more soon.

I broke down and bought a Detolf last Thursday, I've never been a fan of how they look, but at the end of the day £40 for shelves that seem perfectly designed for 1/6 scale figures were too good to pass up. It was a pain to get the glass sides aligned, and I still can't figure out why you have to build it upside down and then flip it over, but it does the job.

Nice job on that Bruce Wayne. What body and clothes did you use? The suit fits really well.

Nice pics, Jube!

I can't ever bring myself to buy Avengers Cap. I *hate* his costume design.:(

I hope they do one for Cap 2. Love what I've seen of the redesign.

Jube3

Nice pics, Jube!

I can't ever bring myself to buy Avengers Cap. I *hate* his costume design.:(

I hope they do one for Cap 2. Love what I've seen of the redesign.

Thanks! Yea I am definitely picking that one up as well. I think that movie already has me for 3 figures already assuming they do a new Cap and
Winter Solder and Falcon

Baka Zeitgeist

pluck my tasty grapes
Dang I didn't realize Black Widow was soo busty

Busty Black Widow, is best Black Widow.
1r42xLS.jpg

ge2Y2Jc.jpg

I have her zipped down for 2 reasons:
1. I don't mind busty
2. I would mind if a year from now that black suit stained her bust, neck, and face.

Nice job on that Bruce Wayne. What body and clothes did you use? The suit fits really well.

Thanks, it's the Hot Toys TTM21 (you have to sand down the TTM21 neck peg to get the Bruce Wayne head on it) and an Asmus Wayne Suit Set, the shoes are really bad, and the suits material feels like a track suit, but it still looks more then decent simply because it fits the body so well. Can't knock it for the price.

I'm using a Canon 7D with a 50mm lens (only lens I have at the moment).
A nice camera is really the next "big" thing I need to spend a significant amount of money on. I get by with that little Cybershot but man I'd love to get something like the 7D. May go a bit cheaper and go with a Nikon D7000.

Giolon

What cameras do you guys use for your photos?

A nice camera is really the next "big" thing I need to spend a significant amount of money on. I get by with that little Cybershot but man I'd love to get something like the 7D. May go a bit cheaper and go with a Nikon D7000.

I have a Panasonic GX1 w/ 12-42mm lens & macro adapter. I use it for all my shots of figures, vacation, and event photos. Everything I've posted in the past year or so have been taken with that. Being a Micro Four-Thirds, it has a 2.0 crop factor (effective lens length is doubled compared to Full-Frame). It's a lot smaller and lighter than a full DSLR, and being part of the M43 standard, there are many great lenses available for it, including some by Leica if you want to go crazy. I'm going to get a 45mm Leica macro lens at some point.

One of my buddies has a Sony NEX-7 and it's really slick as well. The only problem is that it's lens selection is relatively poor. That can improve over time since Sony's only been in the mirrorless camera market for a relatively short time.

There's becoming less and less reason to buy a full sized DSLR except for professionals and the hardest of the hardcore enthusiasts.

There so many shipping options for AmiAmi. I read up on the differences on their site, but they don't state what costs the most/least. If I'm ordering 1-3 figures what would be the cheapest option? (EMS sounds like it would cost the most to me. And what is the diff for registered/unregistered)

EMS
SAL Small Packet (Registered)
SAL Small Packet (Unregistered)
Domestic
Air Small Packet

edit:nevermind i scrolled down further and saw the prices on amiami's page

EMS
SAL Small Packet (Registered)
SAL Small Packet (Unregistered)
Domestic
Air Small Packet

edit:nevermind i scrolled down further and saw the prices on amiami's page

Yeah, EMS is the most expensive. But if you're ordering a bunch of stuff, or something you consider high priority, it might be worth it. It doesn't take long at all.

Jessicat

Hey, anyone know of places taking pre-orders for the S.H. MonsterArts Biollante? I've only seen BBTS taking them so far, but I dunno if I want to buy from them ._.
Would love to find her at a discount, $230+shipping is a lot ;>> [my x-mas gift to myself I guess, rofl]

Also I really want this:
I hate being broke ;^;

I might have found my first prize figure, if I decide to get into that whole game:

tumblr_mp95m8y4h41qzdctco8_500.jpg

Thanks, it's the Hot Toys TTM21 (you have to sand down the TTM21 neck peg to get the Bruce Wayne head on it) and an Asmus Wayne Suit Set, the shoes are really bad, and the suits material feels like a track suit, but it still looks more then decent simply because it fits the body so well. Can't knock it for the price.

Thanks man. Time to see where I can get that body.

Jube3

You magnificent bastard! My Iron Man ships in 4 days!

Man there is so much stuff packed into the Iron Man I don't even know where to start. Took some quick shots during lunch with the same setup as before. I'll try some different poses after work as well as shooting on a lighter background. Such a cool figure.

9187257478_582b22c84b_z.jpg
9184813271_54db3785ef_z.jpg
9187541652_77b78985d0_z.jpg

9184813311_63dbd88610_z.jpg
9187541532_51fb0f37c3_z.jpg

9187542240_348333ec29_z.jpg

9187257506_c9603e44f8_z.jpg
9187542110_bdd7f08d03_z.jpg

9187541826_4195d9ef0a_z.jpg
9187541958_6496a646dd_z.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.