• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Figure GAF |OT| Where has all of my money gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Detolfs cost 64.99 in the US.
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10011055/

Prices should not vary. Are you looking at people reselling them on other sites or are you looking at similar cases from other companies?

I was browsing on Amazon and saw some going for over $100, then when I went to Ikea I saw them for $65 and wondered if they were cheaply made or something. Thanks for clearing that up.

Hope you have an Ikea near you if you want to get Detolfs, shipping is ridiculous.

Yeah, there's one about 30 or 40 minutes away.

LiK

The most recent haul before next week's arrivals.

Elin - Very large figure. as I've said in previous thread, it looks like 1/5 scale to me. Worth the price if you're a fan. Quite a shame they didn't use the nice looking base we saw from those prototypes.

F37139D2-5D4F-4CC6-B19D-8829476069B4-8747-0000085A183C63D4_zps8ad26fc6.jpg

TLoU statue. Was totally worth the insane price from the Post-Pandemic edition. Very large and excellent quality. No slop or other defects at all. The cardboard background stand was a nice bonus. Worth it if you're a fan of the game.

P4U prize figures. The faces are actually better than the promo shots. Quality is a slightly better than the most prize figures I've seen. Some very minor dust and debris on Chie's leg and Yukiki's headband has some major slop with black paint from her hair. They're kinda top heavy so not sure if their legs which are attached to the base will hold in the long run. I'm gonna expect warping if you display them in rooms that get hot. I also don't like how big the bases are. They take up a significant amount of shelf space.

Hope you have an Ikea near you if you want to get Detolfs, shipping is ridiculous.
It is. I have a friend that comes down from NY twice a year to visit and he's been kind enough to get me 2 at a time. The nearest Ikea is about 90 minutes away and I refuse to pay the shipping on their site.

TLoU statue. Was totally worth the insane price from the Post-Pandemic edition. Very large and excellent quality. No slop or other defects at all. The cardboard background stand was a nice bonus. Worth it if you're a fan of the game.
What's the statue made out of? PVC?

Elin - Very large figure. as I've said in previous thread, it looks like 1/5 scale to me. Worth the price if you're a fan. Quite a shame they didn't use the nice looking base we saw from those prototypes.

Wrong type of Elin on the box? That's.. weird. Glad the figure turned out well though, I nearly bought it myself. I had fun with Tera for a while.

Wait for amazon. Read the FAQ about bishoujos.

I did, I read the entire OP.

I'm just impatient. ;)

But when you say "Wait for Amazon", do you mean to wait for it to show up on Amazon, or specifically for a "Ships from and sold by Amazon"? I mean, $51.99 at TFAW ain't bad.

johnsmith

remember me
I did, I read the entire OP.

I'm just impatient. ;)

But when you say "Wait for Amazon", do you mean to wait for it to show up on Amazon, or specifically for a "Ships from and sold by Amazon"? I mean, $51.99 at TFAW ain't bad.

Wait for someone selling it with free shipping. If not amazon then eknightmedia is another good seller. TFAW charges shipping. You'll probably be able to get it for 51.99 or less with free shipping if you wait.

Wait for someone selling it with free shipping. If not amazon then eknightmedia is another good seller. TFAW charges shipping. You'll probably be able to get it for 51.99 or less with free shipping if you wait.

Hmm. You have a point. TFAW is kind of ridiculous with their shipping charges on statues. But you do get them in a couple of days.

yea, not worth it to buy from TFAW. i only use them as a last resort cuz of the shipping.

I hear ya. I did have to order that new 1/6 Kotobukiya Asuka from them, though. Because by the time I decided I wanted her, everyone else was sold out.

Jube3

Yeah, I posted a link to those locks in the last thread.

Thanks on the collection front! Though that's 2 of the 6 detolfs I have now. I have room for maybe four more Hot Toys figures but once they arrive, I'm officially out of space.:(

That's really nice. I'm not usually big on displaying one figure per section in the case but I like the boxes behind them and the LED strips. Nice work!

Thanks! Yea I'm want to double them up once I get more figures in but that wont be for a while. I have 3 Detolfs, 1 Billy (currently holding some Gundam figures) and 2 smaller Besta (misc statues) to place stuff in. I want to keep the detolfs 1/6 figures only I just dont have enough yet (falling down that rabbit hole lol) to fill them.

I was thinking of picking up something like this over time to place on top of the detolf. They're expensive ($100-200) but it might be a nice alternative to a setup since the larger size can fit a few figures including the larger Iron Monger and Hulk figures. Would make for a nice Diorama display too.

http://www.maybang.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=display case

That looks great, but man I feel like an idiot. I've got the same setup but my wires are all loose and tangled, guess I know what I'm doing this weekend.

I was able to get them pretty tight around the metal bars and used a zip tie to hold it in place. It worked pretty well but I want to look into getting some sort of cover to go over it, not sure if it will look better or just be distracting but worth a shot.

chrono01

For cabinets, I'm purchasing these:

http://www.jysk.ca/seja-cabinet-single.html

They're basically the equivalent of the Detolf shelves [we don't get those in Canada]. They're not overly pricey and look great [in my opinion].

Although, if you purchase as many figures as I do [I'm guessing that they're are more than a handful among you!], they fill up faster than I'd like. ~_~

johnsmith

remember me
P4U prize figures. The faces are actually better than the promo shots. Quality is a slightly better than the most prize figures I've seen. Some very minor dust and debris on Chie's leg and Yukiki's headband has some major slop with black paint from her hair. They're kinda top heavy so not sure if their legs which are attached to the base will hold in the long run. I'm gonna expect warping if you display them in rooms that get hot. I also don't like how big the bases are. They take up a significant amount of shelf space.

Yeah, these are pretty good for prize figures (except for Yosuke). I have the first 4 P4 ones, and Aigis, who's actually my first Aigis figure, since I don't really care for the character. But since I'm a Persona collector I might as well have one.

Kanji and Naoto aren't looking that hot though. But I'll probably grab them anyway, because there's no other Kanji or Naoto figures, and they'll be cheap enough.
A0NbaJw.jpg
WT1CD1v.jpg

sca2511

Not sure if I'll get the SDCC Harley Quinn. It does look great. I really don't want to start double dipping on the "same" figure. Have only done so with Phoenix so far.
wtzgU.gif
I see pre-orders are $150+ on eBay already.

Not sure if I'll get the SDCC Harley Quinn. It does look great. I really don't want to start double dipping on the "same" figure. Have only done so with Phoenix so far.
wtzgU.gif
I see pre-orders are $150+ on eBay already.

lolololol. Did everyone miss the bit about Koto selling them on their website Monday at 1:00pm EST?

Kotobukiya has stated that a limited amount will be sold on their online store starting on Monday, July 1st at 10 a.m. PST (1 p.m. EST). They will ship 2-3 weeks following SDCC.

sca2511

hahah yeah, I'll be grabbing her from there for sure. So only one SDCC Bishoujo exclusive this year? I remember Storm, Black Widow, and X23 having exclusives last year, but then being sold pretty widespread after SDCC. I wonder why that happened.

johnsmith

remember me
It's pretty common for the bishoujo exclusives to be widely available and discounted after. This'll probably end up for $35 on amazon or tfaw in about 9 months.

sca2511

Last years exclusives was my first encounter with it, I assumed it'd be a limited production run with a maximum of 2000 or so units. It being widely available afterwards has occurred every time?

johnsmith

remember me
Happened with Emma Frost, Ms Marvel, and Sue Storm too. Not sure about the older ones.

Plus Harley wasn't very popular. She's still widely available below msrp. She was
Released 9 months ago.

I only have two Marvel bishoujos. I have twice as many DC. Gotta build up those Marvel ranks.

I have to say, I bought the Elektra bishoujo on a whim a few weeks ago, and I like her a lot more than I thought I would. She's easily one of my favorite bishoujos.

Also thinking about grabbing Mystique. Not sure, though. The one thing holding me back is that in the Tomopop review [I think it was] they mentioned how her other hand isn't even molded. It's just lost in her hair. Which is fine, I'm sure it doesn't impact the way she looks... Do any of you guys have her / have impressions to share?

sca2511

Still have to grab Elektra and Mystique, held off since their value seemed to be stable. I think Elektra looks great, but Mystique might be close to the bottom for the Marvel Bishoujos, though that might be different once I get to see her close up/have her.

Bombless

I don't like Koto's Harley. The special edition looks much better imo. Will wait for a while and see how it evolves, I don't have money for the websale anyway. I got the Storm special edition on sale from TFAW thanks to it being posted here, I'm going to keep watch for this again ;)

Jube3

Cheers :)

The Collector's edition for the original was a massive pain to get.

1005884_546339958761332_422192569_n.jpg

I don't know what i'm going to do with this when I get it..

So awesome, how are you going to display it? I've held back on picking this one up and the Tumbler because while I have the space I dont really know how/where I would display it. I've seen people put these on top of the detolf but it looks like its about to fall off. The coolest setup I've seen so far was inside a coffee table.

So awesome, how are you going to display it? I've held back on picking this one up and the Tumbler because while I have the space I dont really know how/where I would display it. I've seen people put these on top of the detolf but it looks like its about to fall off. The coolest setup I've seen so far was inside a coffee table.

Coffee table was what I had in mind. Although standing on top across 3 Detolfs perhaps might work? I'm more curious how I'd be able to setup my MGRex.

I need to move house before I can really get a nice display going though :p

In the last version of the thread, people would occasionally talk about Transformers. Is that still going down in here or was that split off to another thread?

Because that giant 2 foot Metroplex is up for preorder finally from BBTS. I think they have an early preorder exclusive deal or something because other retailers that aren't Robot Kingdom haven't been allowed to open them yet.

johnsmith

remember me
Still have to grab Elektra and Mystique, held off since their value seemed to be stable. I think Elektra looks great, but Mystique might be close to the bottom for the Marvel Bishoujos, though that might be different once I get to see her close up/have her.

I have her. Because of her pose she's not very big, so she's not that visually impressive, but her skin color and hair give her a nice contrast with her outfit, and I like her face, which makes or breaks bishoujos for me. I wouldn't definitely put her in the bottom of bishoujos though, that's reserved for truly awful stuff like Agent G.

Cheers :)

The Collector's edition for the original was a massive pain to get.

1005884_546339958761332_422192569_n.jpg

I don't know what i'm going to do with this when I get it..

They are gorgeous pieces but man do they take up room. I have my Tumbler on top of two side by side Detolfs and I'm never terribly happy with that display method.

SUPARSTARX

I canceled my 89 Bat mobile order a while back. I figured I didn't really want it that much but maybe later down the line.

I just decided to sell off a bunch of older Transformers, and just then Hasbro decides to show off Hoist, Cosmos and Skids, all of which I really need for my core collection. And once I get them, I bet we're gonna get a Masterpiece Hoist or something.

It never ends...

Hero

In the last version of the thread, people would occasionally talk about Transformers. Is that still going down in here or was that split off to another thread?

Because that giant 2 foot Metroplex is up for preorder finally from BBTS. I think they have an early preorder exclusive deal or something because other retailers that aren't Robot Kingdom haven't been allowed to open them yet.

It's because Amazon opened up pre orders before the official date.

Jube3

9169365021_f2df86ac81_z.jpg

This 1/6 indian came in the mail today, the blue version was going for like 1/4th of the price of the WW2 version so I picked it up to customize. Going to take it apart tonight and paint it green. Going to have to make some waterslides for the star and for a few other touches I want to add. Happy with the bike, the scale is pretty nice but it smells like cigarette smoke. Im hoping once I wash it, prime it and paint it that will go away.

Jube3

That's awesome dude, do you know if they do 1/6 scale Harley WLA42 models?

There are two that I know of which are both WW2 Themed and pretty close to the movie version. Unfortunately the bikes were made years ago so the only people that seem to be selling it are resellers cashing in on the 1/6 cap. They go from 50-100 bucks each same with the WW2 version of the NewRay Indian. I paid 15 for the blue version which is why I snapped it up. If you are looking for the best looking bikeI would recommend the Ultimate soldier bike. its scale from the pictures Ive seen is almost perfect, the GI Joe one is squished a bit making it look like a scooter. However if you just pose it in the background it should like just fine.

A plastic one from GI Joe - GI JOE WLA42 and one from ultimate soldier which is really hard to find (I've been checking ebay for a few weeks and finally gave up. GI Joe on the left, Ultimate soldier on the right.

Also there is a WW2 version of the indian that I bought which is not exact but not bad..

New Ray 1/6 Indian WW2 version on the left, GI Joe harley on the right. Found the image on google.

I had time tonight to drop a base coat of olive green to the bike, airbrush a bit of gunmetal to the motor and paint the tires black. I ran out of olive though so I need to pick up some more to paint a few of the chrome parts green to match. Then I'm going to go in and weather the tires, wheels and do a light black wash on the motor, spokes and springs to bring out a bit more detail. I love the bike though, its huge and looks great next to cap. Can't wait to get Cap First avenger.

WIP
9174296754_1b7ef9aa53_z.jpg
9172629847_a921fda53c.jpg

Looks great Cajun. Wasn't sure what to think about the green base, but based on those pics I like it and it fits with transformation sequence in the anime. Seems like they nailed the figure in general, so at least the (somewhat ridiculous)delay wasn't for nothing.

Looking forward to getting mine next week at some point.
Seizon Senryakuuuuu

cajunator

Banned
Looks great Cajun. Wasn't sure what to think about the green base, but based on those pics I like it and it fits with transformation sequence in the anime. Seems like they nailed the figure in general, so at least the (somewhat ridiculous)delay wasn't for nothing.

Looking forward to getting mine next week at some point.
Seizon Senryakuuuuu

One thing you might notice. shes looking slightly downward, so this figure works best displayed at eye level or higher. Another thing is with that dress she is surprisingly heavy!

One thing you might notice. shes looking slightly downward, so this figure works best displayed at eye level or higher. Another thing is with that dress she is surprisingly heavy!

Kinda glad she's heavy. Justifies the shipping cost a bit :p

Displaying at eye level should be doable. I'm going to buy display stuff next week and I had intended to raise the cases, so the bottom shelf is more viewable and the top is close to my eye level. Finally my stack of boxes will be converted into a display.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom