• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake Announced (First on PS4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

anaron

937491313f09f5ee75c5d8266f555fdd.jpg
flop generic "interchangeable with Yuffie and Rinoa" Tifa

OG dolphin tail is still the best

A8u48lZ.jpg

GZ5nApc.jpg

I can't believe you guys aren't terrified of how bad this game could be. That trailer line up is the exact same line up that gave us Advent Children. Nomura Directing, Kitase as a Producer, and Nojima doing scenario.

Nomura has never proven himself to be an even remotely competent director. Kitase is fuckin right there just let Kitase do it. It's Kitase's game, he's still with Square, why is he not taking the reigns of the remake? Nomura, outside of "character redesigns" and designing the way a few attacks looked in the game he had nothing to do with the original game. Nomura had no input on the original game from a narrative or directorial perspective.

I honestly don't understand this decision.

anaron

I can't believe you guys aren't terrified of how bad this game could be. That trailer line up is the exact same line up that gave us Advent Children. Nomura Directing, Kitase as a Producer, and Nojima doing scenario.

Nomura has never proven himself to be an even remotely competent director. Kitase is fuckin right there just let Kitase do it. It's Kitase's game, he's still with Square, why is he not taking the reigns of the remake? Outside of "character redesigns" and designing the way a few attacks looked in the game he had nothing to do with the game. Nomura had no input on the original game from a narrative perspective.

neither do I, especially because Sakaguchi and Kitase are the bread and butter of VII.

but enough people like that trash Advent Children so I'm going to assume they're cool with a continuation of that abortion.

USC-fan

Banned
Really don't care what they change. Haven't played this game since it came out. Love for it to be updated. Still want turn base.

Jarnet87

Nomura has never proven himself to be an even remotely competent director. Kitase is fuckin right there just let Kitase do it. It's Kitase's game, he's still with Square, why is he not taking the reigns of the remake? Nomura, outside of "character redesigns" and designing the way a few attacks looked in the game he had nothing to do with the original game. Nomura had no input on the original game from a narrative or directorial perspective.

it could be worse, they could of put Kitase's golden boy Toriyama on this. Kitase doesn't do shit these days I gather. I believe he was part of that FF committee they formed a few years back to oversee quality of the franchise, but he hasn't directed a game in a long time.

jiggle

It's a remake
He's not reinventing the wheel
And AC Is awesome

Based on the story by Tetsuya Nomura and Hironobu Sakaguchi

Hastati

I'm so excited for this as someone who has never played it. I more or less know the story, have read some of the short stories and seen Advent Children, but the actual game I have yet to even try. And I've wanted to experience it in some form for a long time.

Bring it on SE!

Godcannon

neither do I.

but enough people like that trash Advent Children so I'm going to assume they're cool with a continuation of that abortion.

Spirits Within was Better! (Please don't hurt me)

If you noticed the design of everything was very authentic and true to the original. The character models were garbage in AC, but the trailer showed the OG designs and the way Midgar looked blew my mind. That, my friend, is why I have faith. If they would have showed some goofy trailer with all redesigned models, I would have been alarmed, but clearly they know that if they change too much, it will destroy what makes the game so special in the first place. EVERYTHING matters in that game to some extent...Everything.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetsuya_Nomura

Nomura drew the game's characters in a stylized and super deformed way and came up with the idea for the "Limit Break" attacks.[10][11] He also took part in the making of the story and had a hand in plot elements such as
Aerith's death.

jiggle

except everything in that trailer indicates that by design of using Advent Children's aesthetic, they are going to have to "reinvent" it
What has to be reinvented due to the visual?
Just stick to the script
Put in stella somewhere
Winner!

Skeff

I'm so excited I just put advent children on, oh yeah, the hype is real with this one. So many scenes I'm looking forward to... Red xiii disguise should be awesome, and the
scene with red xiii's dad directly after the cosmo canyon gi cave is going to bring me to tears...

While I agree with you about Kitase directing, Nomura actually did have a good deal of influence on some of the character development process of VII beyond just the designs.
He got essentially promoted after his work on FFVI. The rest is history.

edit: beaten

Yes he did, it's right in the credits.

Jarnet87

Did REmake take out anything from the original? I know they added a lot of things. For me that is the ideal scenario, where it is just a much better graphical representation mixed with a few positive changes. Obviously VII is a much larger game then RE but that type of remake fits my needs perfectly.

Sephzilla

8u34ocJ.gif

r65lsXJ.png

Hynad

Banned

What are you talking about? Sakaguchi and Nomura both cooperated to create the story of the game. Then penned by Nojima and Kitase.

EDIT: ^^^^^^Exactly as DiipuSurotu pointed out.

Did REmake take out anything from the original? I know they added a lot of things. For me that is the ideal scenario, where it is just a much better graphical representation mixed with a few positive changes. Obviously VII is a much larger game then RE.

70% new, 30% old.

Enlil

Our lifes are complete. Can't believe this. Just apped my brother and told him when this comes out I will buy a ps4 and you will play it and i will watch it like on the psone. the first game was so amazing, that moment you will never forget in your life. it was something new, our childhood.

anaron

Nomura definitely had input but his influence was in no way comparable to what it is now.

VII is Kitase and Sakaguchi's baby.

"SCENARIO." Nomura had as much involvement with the story as Sakaguchi did AKA they did jack shit. That's why they aren't listed as Scenario writers they are listed as "based on a story"(which is a BS credit like executive producer). Which means they were like "Oh wouldn't it be cool if" and then Kitase and Nojima were like "Ok that sounds cool" or "No that's stupid" except Kitase isn't in charge to filter out bad ideas. If you think FF7 is FF7 because of Nomura and Sakaguchi you're crazy.

T.O.P

Banned
Not being exclusive killed my hype a bit. Just a bit.

Still, I'm excited as fuck.

Should have been exclusive. Sony would have won the gen right there. Still excited as fuck.

No XB1 version?

Perfect.

XB1 needs to burn to the ground for May 2013.

We need clarification about this. Nothing will make me more happier than this game never coming to the XB1.

106248-britney-spears-seriously-wtf-g-JQdl.gif

anaron

I wonder how many scenes are going to be added in to make it crystal that certain character deaths didn't actually happen like Rufus and Tseng

anaron

"SCENARIO." Nomura had as much involvement with the story as Sakaguchi did AKA they did jack shit. That's why they aren't listed as Scenario writers they are listed as "based on a story"(which is a BS credit like executive producer). Which means they were like "Oh wouldn't it be cool if" and then Kitase and Nojima were like "Ok that sounds cool" or "No that's stupid" except Kitase isn't in charge to filter out bad ideas. If you think FF7 is FF7 because of Nomura and Sakaguchi you're crazy.
Sakaguchi supervised the entire production and was directly responsible for the game's theme of "life" and the lifestream concept

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I'm super excited for this, but I've realized I have a really strong dislike of modern square's tiny triangle chin character design on every character and it sort of always puts me off of anything they are showing recently.

While I agree with you about Kitase directing, Nomura actually did have a good deal of influence on some of the character development process of VII beyond just the designs.
He got essentially promoted after his work on FFVI. The rest is history.

edit: beaten

Nojima originated the idea that one of the two female leads, Tifa or Aerith, should die. Not Nomura.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom