• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Type-0 (Fan) Translation Released

CorvoSol

Any chance this will come to the US? Or we blow up Shahid's twitter again with #VitaRPG?

You mean like an official version of the game? IDK, Square's been pretty mum about it. They're making a sort-of mobile phone game version of it, and word of mouth claims that'll come over, but nothing concrete has really been said, from what I know.

Aurizen

You mean like an official version of the game? IDK, Square's been pretty mum about it. They're making a sort-of mobile phone game version of it, and word of mouth claims that'll come over, but nothing concrete has really been said, from what I know.

I hope they like port it to the Vita. Maybe if we start a campaign? Gaf is pretty powerful we can get the word out.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Square's all about Type 0tome right now. I mean FF Agito for mobile. But I'm really glad Project DOOMTRAIN might be a success. C/D won't happen. Sky has assured me on this. I could dig up a lengthy comment he made on the matter if you have doubts.

CorvoSol

I hope they like port it to the Vita. Maybe if we start a campaign? Gaf is pretty powerful we can get the word out.

Like Magius said, I get the impression that Square is currently most interested in their mobile phone adaptation of Type-0.

AmanoBuff

Looks great. I'll still wait for an announcement from SQEX to bring over the official thing though (Vita HD up port with Japanese voice DLC please??).

If we don't get any announcement before this patch is released, then I'll play the hell out of it.

Takao

Banned

Don't take this as me being rude, but people have been campaigning for a Vita port of the game for nearly 3 years.

fvng

looks insanely good

Don't take this as me being rude, but people have been campaigning for a Vita port of the game for nearly 3 years.

Yeah but unlike localizing the game on a dead portable (at least in the US), porting the game to the Vita seems way more likely and less financially risky.

If it's that far out, they shouldn't have said anything. This will create very little positive buzz.

Agreed, we gone from "almost finished" to months of wait....

I've never been convinced that this was a fully accurate story since Sega's never C&Ded projects for other games (whether recent or old) and haven't C&Ded other attempts at translating 7D.

Then...what possibly could happened?

Just saw about that translation and seems quite bizarre

raven777

august? thats really far off.

I really don't mind waiting until august but my worry is that the project might get canceled before than(maybe SE forcing them to cancel?)

CorvoSol

According to Sky the reason for the August release date is because the team wanted more time to make sure that non-story-essential dialogue made sense. There's apparently a lot of text and a bunch of NPCs and they want what's said in that stuff to sound right or something.

PK Gaming

Super psyched

It took a while, but i'll finally get to experience FF Type-0. I remember playing the japanese demo a few years back and being absolutely enthralled by it.

August can't come quick enough~

Tohsaka

Five more months? I thought it was much closer to release. Still looking forward to it, though. Hopefully SE doesn't try to shut it down.

injurai

Banned
Square Enix has never shut down even a single fan translation project, AFAIK. I'm pretty sure there's nothing illegal about it as long as they don't do something stupid like try to sell the translation or offer patched .isos on their website. The translation file itself isn't illegal in anyway, from what I've understood, so there's really nothing SQEX can do to shut it down. This is not a case like, say, that Chrono Trigger 3D remake.

They might shut it down if they plan to release a localized version themselves.

Aeana

So uh... when is Square Enix going to send these guys a C&D?

The only fan translations I've ever heard of getting a C&D are Pokemon ones and a couple of visual novels. The 7th Dragon one mentioned earlier in the thread sounded like an excuse from the author to move on from the project.

CorvoSol

They might shut it down if they plan to release a localized version themselves.

Do you really think they do, though? I kinda don't see them planning on it at the moment, and there hasn't been any concrete indication from Square that they will. I can't actually think of an FF they've C&D'd a translation for, and the only Type-0 related stuff they're working on at the moment is Agito, which is for a different system, with a different plot and different gameplay.

I could dig up a lengthy comment he made on the matter if you have doubts.

That would be nice, actually.

Then...what possibly could happened?

Just saw about that translation and seems quite bizarre

Well, far and away the most plausible scenario (more plausible than a real C&D) would be that he wanted to drop the project for some other reason, and saying he got a C&D would keep anyone from harassing him about it.

Next down the list would, I guess, be that some junior associate at Sega legal goofed and sent a letter he wasn't supposed to, but no one cared enough to fix it on Sega's end because why would they?

As Aeana mentioned, C&Ds are almost exclusively issued against people trying to release zero-day patches for huge games like Pokemon. I guess something like that could show up here if SE is actually planning a Western release, but I'm still doubtful, especially since they've had plenty of time to do it already.

I can't actually think of an FF they've C&D'd a translation for

Much the opposite. FF II, III, and V were all fan translated, not to mention many other Square games including Nameless Game, Treasure Hunter G, Bahamut Lagoon, Treasure of the Rudras, and Seiken Densetsu 3, all without incident.

CorvoSol

That would be nice, actually.

For what it's worth, I can back Magius up on this point, but I would need to ask permission since what Sky said to me was said in private, so I don't know how much of that he's okay with sharing.

Course if there's that much interest I guess we could ask Sky to pop over here, but I dunno.

Much the opposite. FF II, III, and V were all fan translated, not to mention many other Square games including Nameless Game, Treasure Hunter G, Bahamut Lagoon, Treasure of the Rudras, and Seiken Densetsu 3, all without incident.

And this is just English language patches. I'm sure the number grows when considering other language translations as well.

jaxword

The "C & D" on the "95% finished" version of Crimson Echoes gave it far far far more publicity and spread it far more than releasing it in the 20-person Chrono Compendium community.

"What" "a" "tragedy" "that" "was."

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Translating a book involves providing a full copy of the entire work. Translating a game, if you release in patch form, requires only providing a list of changes that must be applied by the end user to their own copy of the original work.
Are video game scripts subject to copyright? In many cases, people are dumping the text from the game entirely, so I don't even know how that would work in terms of law.

Unsurprising. Not quite sure why people in the other thread thought it'd be three weeks to release in the first place

Really looking forward to this. So many promising psp fan translations cropping up recently. I guess ppsspp is making debugging a bit easier?

Xenex

This is amazing news, gives me something to look forward too, Square best not intervene unless they plan to release an official version - Do not, get in the way, of Gamers!

RaikuHebi

Banned
Unsurprising. Not quite sure why people in the other thread thought it'd be three weeks to release in the first place

Some of us thought it would be more than 3 weeks but not as long as 4 months. I was honestly expecting it by Easter at the latest. No malice towards the team at all, it's hard work and I was honestly sceptical of my own thinking that testing and editing could be finished so quickly.

As I've said before the release is perfect for me as it is right before the time I go on holiday, so I will spend the airport/flight/beach etc. enjoying this wonderful game on my Vita.

Plus in the next few months there are a flurry of releases so it's even better for the translation to come out at what will be a quiet time for releases.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
As far as a C/D is concerned this was Sky's words on another forum(Gamefaqs).

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/951986-final-fantasy-type-0/68503475?page=13 (Post 135)

"A C&D can't happen. You guys talk too much about it and I think you may be a little relieved knowing the following:

-Spanish laws apply: A C&D is simply not contemplated in Spain. That "THING" you call C&D does NOT exist here. So if I received something similar, it could be perfectly fine to ignore it. In fact, It can be considered company harassment. I've lived in the US enough time to sympathize with your concerns, but again, a C&D can't happen.

-Spain is kind of the "Internet Outlaw", meaning that copyright infringement is not really enforced here, at least as much as in the US: Actually anyone can download WHATEVER he/she wants. Now, what's actually enforced is making a business out of copyrighted material that one does not own. Then again this is not our case. This actually makes Spain of of the most expensive countries in the world to buy digital content.

-It seems to me that project's fans think this is "yet another FAN translation" project, okay, we are all final fantasy fans in the project. However, we have more than enough professional potential inside, including:

*Professional legal advice.
*Translators studying (or already majored in) Japanese philology.
*Professional computer science developer.
*Valuable Art skills in many of our members.

-After working on more than 15 perfectly finished translation projects (most of them into Spanish), some of them of other Square Enix tiles (The 3rd Birthday, FFI, FFIV, Valkyrie Profile and many others), I'm pretty sure I know when a project is in danger.

Regards:

~Sky"

------------------------

The 3 weeks thing was because someone got overexcited and decided to make a topic and essentially jumped to conclusions. If there was actuality in a release in 3 weeks I probably would have said something.

RaikuHebi

Banned
The 3 weeks thing was because someone got overexcited and decided to make a topic and essentially jumped to conclusions. If there was actuality in a release in 3 weeks I probably would have said something.

Yes that was me. My apologies, I read a comment someone made and didn't look for verification before posting the topic. I can't remember what justification that person gave.

Also Spanish copyright law has so much sense.

Shinriji

August 8? A day before my birthday. Which means...

A official vita version will be announced on my birthday, Hooray!

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
"sorry, the cost and risk is too high to localize whatever game you want"

*fans translate it for free and don't end up in debt*

Fans work for free, when they do something out of their own good will. They wouldn't work for free if SE just asked them to do it's work, though.

SkyBladeCloud

Neo Member
I understand the fact that many people are not happy with such a late release date, however, there are many factors to take into account, that justify it:

-First, there have been some misunderstandings about the progress, probably caused by enthusiasm from both the team and the rest of the fans.

We consider it was not fair to have fans waiting such a long time in vain, without knowing an approximated date to look forward to.

-Second, there are many opinions within the team itself, about the completion date, some say we can have it in the next two month, some say three months are not enough.

My personal opinion is that the game is playable in English as it is right now, being enjoyable as is. It is true that many NPC's sound off context, and that's why the majority of the team decided to postpone the release to have a parfect patch.

-Then there are many people who think an official localization would kill all our work. That's not true; at this point, an official localization would mostly help reach our objective, which is to bring this game to all Final Fantasy fans.

In fact, the E3 would have ended by August, so maybe there are good news for everyone!

-Now, note that this all could change at any moment depending on how the team feels about the state of the patch, meaning that the release date could indeed be pushed sooner at any time. In any case, fans now know the latest date they can play the game in English.

We agree that it's better to have a late date that we can push sooner, than having a near date that could be delayed. So be sure we'll update as soon as we have more news!

~Sky

RaikuHebi

Banned
I understand the fact that many people are not happy with such a late release date, however, there are many factors to take into account, that justify it:

-First, there have been some misunderstandings about the progress, probably caused by enthusiasm from both the team and the rest of the fans.

We consider it was not fair to have fans waiting such a long time in vain, without knowing an approximated date to look forward to.

-Second, there are many opinions within the team itself, about the completion date, some say we can have it in the next two month, some say three months are not enough.

My personal opinion is that the game is playable in English as it is right now, being enjoyable as is. It is true that many NPC's sound off context, and that's why the majority of the team decided to postpone the release to have a parfect patch.

-Then there are many people who think an official localization would kill all our work. That's not true; at this point, an official localization would mostly help reach our objective, which is to bring this game to all Final Fantasy fans.

In fact, the E3 would have ended by August, so maybe there are good news for everyone!

-Now, note that this all could change at any moment depending on how the team feels about the state of the patch, meaning that the release date could indeed be pushed sooner at any time. In any case, fans now know the latest date they can play the game in English.

We agree that it's better to have a late date that we can push sooner, than having a near date that could be delayed. So be sure we'll update as soon as we have more news!

~Sky

Thanks for clarifying the situation and good luck with the rest of the project.

Ponn

Banned
Like Magius said, I get the impression that Square is currently most interested in their mobile phone adaptation of Type-0.

I would muc rather have a full Vita version but this is what i dont get with Sony and publishers. PS Mobile should make it easy to port mobile/tablet games to that platform andbe available on the PSM store so why is that not happening? I can think of several games that are available on mobile/tablet that would do well and I thought was the purpose of PSM. FF Theatrhythm, Clash of Clans, that Level 5 game, Baldurs freaking Gate, i mean come on that should be a win win situation for everyone.

Labadal

~Sky

A good approach, imo. I'm glad to hear that you will only release this when the team is happy with it. If that means a few months of waiting, so be it. Your effort is much appreciated.

Dark_castle

~Sky

spideyyjun2.gif

Woud it be possible for you guys to consider releasing a beta patch based on current build for desperate fans like us please?
Emo_12.gif

injurai

Banned
Do you really think they do, though? I kinda don't see them planning on it at the moment, and there hasn't been any concrete indication from Square that they will. I can't actually think of an FF they've C&D'd a translation for, and the only Type-0 related stuff they're working on at the moment is Agito, which is for a different system, with a different plot and different gameplay.

So if Square is only doing Agito...

and Sony hasn't C&D'd the project... then Sony must not be bringing it over...

we can't trust Shahid

CorvoSol

The "C & D" on the "95% finished" version of Crimson Echoes gave it far far far more publicity and spread it far more than releasing it in the 20-person Chrono Compendium community.

"What" "a" "tragedy" "that" "was."

I feel this way but mostly because I feel Crimson Echoes was a terribad fan fiction disguised as a game that wasn't worth playing. I played for like, 2 hours, fought maybe twice, and watched Magus cry over Schala. That was all the more awful I needed to see.

So if Square is only doing Agito...

and Sony hasn't C&D'd the project... then Sony must not be bringing it over...

we can't trust Shahid

Well I'm not saying anything for certain here. I'm just some guy who very much so is not inside the loop and does not have special information.

SkyBladeCloud

Neo Member
I got mine for 32 Euros, the first edition of the game, but it was Amazon Germany, so shipping cost might not worth it.

spideyyjun2.gif

Woud it be possible for you guys to consider releasing a beta patch based on current build for desperate fans like us please?
Emo_12.gif

We've already discussed a public beta, and a demo, even though at this point I'd be open for that, the rest of the team thinks otherwise. Can't blame them, though, the only time I released an incomplete patch (and it was an Alpha patch, actually, for a Spanish translation), the team saw that everyone played that version, that no one waited for the final one, and the result was the Alpha patch being the first, and last one xD.

~Sky

Dark_castle

I got mine for 32 Euros, the first edition of the game, but it was Amazon Germany, so shipping cost might not worth it.

We've already discussed a public beta, and a demo, even though at this point I'd be open for that, the rest of the team thinks otherwise. Can't blame them, though, the only time I released an incomplete patch (and it was an Alpha patch, actually, for a Spanish translation), the team saw that everyone played that version, that no one waited for the final one, and the result was the Alpha patch being the first, and last one xD.

~Sky

That's disappointing to hear. Oh well, good luck finalizing the translation!

Whompa

Mind blowing how much effort that must have taken. Send your resumes to square if you worked on this translation! That's seriously impressive.

As for the game: How did this game get a psp treatment and not a ps3 treatment? FF13 was so simplistic compared to this game! Should have been in reverse in terms of where the budget was spent...

Top Bottom