• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Type-0 (Fan) Translation Released

jamsy

Played this for about an hour. Initial impressions:

- Graphics are pretty nice. Lots of cutscenes.
- Story-wise, lots of terminology is thrown at you off the bat which is confusing, so I'm still not sure what's going on. It's been forever since I played FFXIII, so I don't even remember what the hell a L'Cie is or whatever.
- Holy shit is it uncomfortable playing a PSP game requiring the use of the nub. Guess I've been spoiled by the Vita but I was cramping up pretty good. Plus, the camera is hard to control using the d-pad. This would be way better with dual analog sticks.
- Battles are pretty good for the most part.
- But the archaic save point system blows. I died in about 5 seconds at the fight right after that Odin battle and now I have to go back and do this shit all over again? Ugh

BTW anyone else have those battle results screens flash for a second and disappear by themselves?

Final Fantasy Fan Translation?

Here is Squeenix's idea of a translation - Platform Translation

bd6b0cf5.jpg

aravuus

you'd be happy to know 100 years from now, teleportation will be possible.

And I'm sure we'll have computers that can automatically translate anything Japanese to perfect English, making fan translations a thing of the past

Every era is better than the last, until the earth's too polluted to live on

e: unless we've migrated to a bigger, better and more beautiful planet by that time which would make it the best era

bd6b0cf5.jpg

I'm sure this is bullshit

I mean fucking no one asked for this

holysan

Plus, the camera is hard to control using the d-pad. This would be way better with dual analog sticks.
While the camera controls are suboptimal anyway, you can bind the d-pad to your right stick. Just add it as another option in the key settings.

Renpatsu

As an aside, I know the reason for the change but is there even a version of the Lightning Returns logo that matches it's predecessors?

laoni

Played this for about an hour. Initial impressions:
- Story-wise, lots of terminology is thrown at you off the bat which is confusing, so I'm still not sure what's going on. It's been forever since I played FFXIII, so I don't even remember what the hell a L'Cie is or whatever.

A l'Cie in Type-0 is different to a l'Cie in FFXIII, and it'll explain more about them as you get further into it.

In case you want to know off the bat though, here you go!

A l'Cie is someone who was chosen by the crystal and given great powers & stops aging, but at the cost of losing their free will, personality and memories, literally becoming a slave to their crystal over time. They're sorted into at least 2 types, Type-A l'Cie, who have tremendous offensive power, and Type-B, who aren't as strong, but have support abilities. Qun'mi, the l'Cie you fight in that opening mission, is a Type-B

WarRock

Random aside: how is this legal? A patch makes sense to me because it doesn't distribute significant portions of the original code, but if this only requires one of the two UMDs to work, and the 2GB patch adds the code from the other UMD, isn't that distributing substantial portions of the original game? Or do the two UMDs mirror each other so much that this isn't really the case? And if so, why bother with two UMDs at all?

Sky said the patcher contains the videos, since they had to reedit it all. The rest of the UMD contents, as far as I know, are pretty much the same.

http://gbatemp.net/threads/final-fantasy-type-0-romhacking.340183/page-170#post-5018207

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Is there any way to check the hash of the final patched game? My patcher hung and sat there for like 10 minutes seemingly not doing anything, and the file for the final patched game was created. Tested it in PPSSPP and the initial menus and video were working and in English, but I want to make sure the whole thing is good.

Edit: Nevermind, just did it again for disc 2 and it finished successfully.

For what it's worth, I just checked the successful one against the other one and they matched. So it looks like as long as the full size file is created it should be good even if the patcher never finishes and says it is done.

incpdo

Japanese iso of the game worked on my PSP slim with 5.00 m-6 so the questión is will this patch work con this cfw versión? Did anyone try it?

Renpatsu

Japanese iso of the game worked on my PSP slim with 5.00 m-6 so the questión is will this patch work con this cfw versión? Did anyone try it?
Because the patch merges the ISO and has edits made to the video files there is a high probability of gameplay errors.

stryke

I haven't tried it but I'm going to say it won't work. m33-6 doesn't have the right UMD drivers to handle game sizes bigger than 2GB.

You'll need to install PRO CFW which includes the "Inferno" driver with which the game will work.

And I'm sure we'll have computers that can automatically translate anything Japanese to perfect English, making fan translations a thing of the past

Every era is better than the last, until the earth's too polluted to live on

e: unless we've migrated to a bigger, better and more beautiful planet by that time which would make it the best era

I'm sure this is bullshit

I mean fucking no one asked for this

They need something to fill the void until FF15 comes out in 2016.

laoni

jamsy

While the camera controls are suboptimal anyway, you can bind the d-pad to your right stick. Just add it as another option in the key settings.

This is kind of hard to do when you're playing on a PSP.

A l'Cie in Type-0 is different to a l'Cie in FFXIII, and it'll explain more about them as you get further into it.

In case you want to know off the bat though, here you go!

A l'Cie is someone who was chosen by the crystal and given great powers & stops aging, but at the cost of losing their free will, personality and memories, literally becoming a slave to their crystal over time. They're sorted into at least 2 types, Type-A l'Cie, who have tremendous offensive power, and Type-B, who aren't as strong, but have support abilities. Qun'mi, the l'Cie you fight in that opening mission, is a Type-B

Interesting. I really wish Square used some fucking different (and more distinct) terminology though. I remember they used l'Cie and Falcie (or something like this) in FFXIII, which sounded the same and confused the hell out of me.

Yes. Does it persist? I only played an hour or so and figured it might be because its a tutorial mission.

No idea. Maybe someone who is further in can comment?

aravuus

Did my "mission in" timer just jump from 1d 2h to 12h? SE confirmed not to realize a day is 24 hours, no matter whether you use the 12 or 24 hour clock

Anyway, I'm starting to really enjoy the gameplay. Love the fact that I can dodge, it's refreshing to play a JRPG in which you actually can manage without ever taking damage. I love turn-based, but the problem with it has always been that no matter how strong you are or how good you are as a player, you will end up taking damage all the time.

The world map battles don't seem too good though, hope they won't get frustratingly hard later on.

They need something to fill the void until FF15 comes out in 2016.

Wish they'd fill it with something worthwhile and not this shit though

Interesting. I really wish Square used some fucking different (and more distinct) terminology though. I remember they used l'Cie and Falcie (or something like this) in FFXIII, which sounded the same and confused the hell out of me.

FF XIII games and Type-0 are all FNC games, so same mythology, same terminology. I personally don't mind it.

No idea. Maybe someone who is further in can comment?

4 hours in, they still just flash by. I assumed it was because of the faster loading times on PC but if you're on PSP, I guess not.

laoni

Yeah, fal'Cie is the other one, which, from memory, isn't used in Type-0. The closest equivalent would be
the crystals, as they're the ones who make l'Cie and order them around

Zomba13

bd6b0cf5.jpg

I suspect it's real because of course SE would do something like that. They want Lightning fucking everywhere. Surprised they didn't port one of them to Wii U so she could get into Brawl.

bigkrev

Is there a better, more permanent option than 6.60 PRO-B for a PSP-3000? I find it annoying to run the fast recovery thing every time I power the system on from zero battery.

Didn't the translators say something about having faster loading times because of the patch? I think they listed that as one of the features. I know in the Japanese demo it wasn't this fast,

Edit: Yeah, they did.

Although we are not considering the inclusion of English voice over at this point, we do plan to add some enhancements such as UMD Merging, or faster loading times without data installation.

Put in a couple of hours last night and am still blown away by this game. Great to finally play it in English. The first couple scenes with the guy and the chocobo cut pretty deep. I started tearing-up a bit actually. The world setting also feels like it has incredible scope to it which reminds me of FF XII. Going to be a joy reading through the datalog and absorbing all this!

The RTS portions still kinda blow but thankfully there aren't too many of them iirc. Not a fan of the cloned cities either.

Skilletor

Maybe it's because I read fantasy books, but I don't mind the "weird" language. I also prefer they don't spend time explaining it and let the player (or reader) figure it out for themselves through use in the actual world. Nothing annoys me more than somebody in-world explaining what a word means. It's usually unnatural because there's no reason for it to happen. Everybody in Type-0's world is going to know what a l'cie is, so there's no reason to say IT'S A PERSON CHOSEN BY BLAH BLAH BLAH.

I'm wondering if patching a merged iso takes significantly longer. Certainly took my pc more that 5 minutes. Wish I'd realized I didn't have to merge my isos beforehand.

I played through the first mission and it was pretty good. This game has a great opening. I hope it didnt expend the bulk of its awesome early though.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
My Vita with TN-V picked a great time to not let me upgrade to the latest firmware with inferno...it just tells me I have the latest version when I know I don't. PSP it is........

I wouldn't mind a collection as long as that's where it ends. Lighting Returns in particular runs like hot garbage and I think it'd be a lot more enjoyable with a smooth framerate.

Still can't believe we never got this though given how many psp games we did get. I mean this is a fully featured package that seems like it would have brought a ton of great press.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe it's because I read fantasy books, but I don't mind the "weird" language. I also prefer they don't spend time explaining it and let the player (or reader) figure it out for themselves through use in the actual world. Nothing annoys me more than somebody in-world explaining what a word means. It's usually unnatural because there's no reason for it to happen. Everybody in Type-0's world is going to know what a l'cie is, so there's no reason to say IT'S A PERSON CHOSEN BY BLAH BLAH BLAH.

This game does lore explanation quite well via NPCs and short events that are optional. I think the l'cie explanation was given by one of the class zero students and you get like a potion when you speak to him/her during free time.

The game's version of the datalog also does well to illustrate the history of the world, something that was entirely lacking in XIII.

I suspect it's real because of course SE would do something like that. They want Lightning fucking everywhere. Surprised they didn't port one of them to Wii U so she could get into Brawl.

I think it's probably real because I'm guessing they want a Final Fantasy game this year on next-gen.

Dumb move, they should wait and not sully the brand on next-gen consoles. FFXIII and it's spawn were pretty much panned. They should just wipe the slate clean.

Skilletor

I think it's probably real because I'm guessing they want a Final Fantasy game this year on next-gen.

Dumb move, they should wait and not sully the brand on next-gen consoles. FFXIII and it's spawn were pretty much panned. They should just wipe the slate clean.

This is the same company that took 2-3 years to get FFXHD out. If FF13 Collection were announced today, it wouldn't make it this year.

Zomba13

I really hate what SE did with FF last gen. XIII was ok. I mean, I didn't really like it but they tried something and it didn't hit with everyone and that's ok. But then they had to retcon their own ending to make a sequel about time travel and old gods and then they made another sequel (this time the ending making it very clear they weren't done) in which you go around saving people from the end of the world because God says screw it and wants to knock over his lego tower and build it again. We've had a generation where the high profile, big budget FF games were all in the same crappy universe focusing on the same crappy characters with a bunch of bullshit to get everyone back for the 'last' game.

I decided to order this game yesterday and screw SE if they do release an offical localisation and was excited so watched the opening on youtube. The game has more feels and urgency in the 10 minute opening cinematic than in all off the FFXIII "saga". Probably plays better than them too (though I gotta admit I did kinda like Lightning Returns battle system and dress up from the demo).

Top Bottom