• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Type-0 (Fan) Translation Released

kiryogi

Banned
He's doing them for XV too? As if the wait wasn't horrible enough already lol

Can't wait!

Not really known for sure but he is co-director alongside with Nomura. That said, Tabata was also director for Type-Zero, Crisis Core, and The Third Birthday. Tabata has quite the legacy :p

WarRock

Why do they give me the ability to chose from 12 characters when in the end they almost force me to use a certain character. >-<
I bet Machina has such a special ability that you NEED as well, right? :X

You can just not use summons all the time, upgrade them enough to not make it necessary use them all the time, unlock the longer lasting ones... Personally I never use summons, specially since I like to solo some missions.
And nah, Machina is pretty bad. Also, not spoilerish spoiler
for story reasons, he is unavailable way too much to use him IMO

Rem's always in MY party for that reason. That and her awesome magic stats + party MP regen ability makes her indispensable.

Queen's mah best gal though. Dash FTW.

None of the dudes particularly strike my fancy except for maybe King and Jack.

How can you NOT like Eight, lots of cool abilities haha.

Is there a way to set PPSSPP to autoplay the ISO when launched?

On Windows, you can make a shortcut with an argument linking to the path of the game iso that will launch the game automatically when you boot up the emulator.

Say the path to your iso is at

Code:
"C:\PSP Games\FFTYPE0.iso"

and your PPSSPP executable is located at

Code:
"C:\PPSSPP\PPSSPPWindows64.exe"

1. Make a shortcut of the ppsspp executable anywhere you want, right click on it, and select properties.

2. In the Shortcut tab of the properties box head to the target line, make sure the following is entered:-

Code:
"C:\PPSSPP\PPSSPPWindows64.exe" "C:\PSP Games\FFTYPE0.iso"
(Replace the first line in "" with the path to your ppsspp executable and the second line with "" to the path of your FFType0.iso file, make sure you include the quotation marks around the paths.)

3. Just launch PPSSPP using the shortcut. The game will be booted automatically when the emulator is launched.

This works for any other game as well, both for iso and cso formats.

Aeana

I finally got around to getting my Vita TV's CFW updated. It was a trial, since you can't do USB with the content manager on Vita TV, and the in-XMB system update gave me a server error. But after some junk that I won't go into detail about here, I managed to update from TN-v4 to TN-v8 and Type-0 works flawlessly on that thanks to the inferno driver. It's way uglier than PPSSPP of course, but the controls are actually more responsive. Particularly the camera controls.

kiryogi

Banned
I finally got around to getting my Vita TV's CFW updated. It was a trial, since you can't do USB with the content manager on Vita TV, and the in-XMB system update gave me a server error. But after some junk that I won't go into detail about here, I managed to update from TN-v4 to TN-v8 and Type-0 works flawlessly on that thanks to the inferno driver. It's way uglier than PPSSPP of course, but the controls are actually more responsive. Particularly the camera controls.

How does Type Zero work on the Vita anyway? When you mean camera is there specifcs or its just having the dpad mapped to the right stick?

Aeana

How does Type Zero work on the Vita anyway? When you mean camera is there specifcs or its just having the dpad mapped to the right stick?

Yeah, camera mapped to the right stick. It's just that on PPSSPP, for some reason, when you map the camera to both the dpad and the right stick, it introduces some delay on the button presses which makes it feel more sluggish than it does on the VitaTV.

Magitex

Playing using PPSSPP and after some initial problems were fixed I think I can safely say this is much better than FFXIII. I honestly didn't think the game would live up to the hype but so far it seems to be pretty good, feels a lot like FF8 in a good way.

I'm six hours in now and haven't really settled into which characters I want to use; I initially thought Ace wasn't all that great, until I got to his melee skill which just seems to tear through everything.
Right now I think I like most of the characters move sets so I'll probably be using a variety, and Ace when I'm in a pinch.
Gotta say I am liking being thrown into the deep end, instead of FFXIII ridiculous endless tutorial where you played half the game with butchered game mechanics. Did they ever issue a patch or cheat to resolve this? I dropped the game mid-way and I don't think I can replay it with the combat neutered.

Combat is really good here, with telegraphed attacks, sensible hitboxes and flow of combat. It took a little to warm up to it, but it's well refined, particularly when considering what little processor they had to work with!
Not really something I expected out of a Final Fantasy title, but it's good.

As for the timed event system, so far it doesn't bother me too much. I'm glad they provided icons indicating events and what advances the story so you don't have to run around trying to avoid events for fear of advancing the game before you're ready. It does give me a bit of choice paralyzation but so far I haven't had to make any big sacrifices.

The RTS segments aren't bad so far, though I've only done one; I am bit of a fan of suikoden and tactical games though. It's a fairly logical rock-paper-scissors game of tactics, and you can also change the outcome by sneak-attacking front line units or completing sub-objectives. I really like the impact this gives, capturing cities and being able to visit them, makes it feel like your war effort actually does something for once.

Difficulty is pretty good so far, mostly thanks to the refined combat, relatively non-linear exploration and unique 14-life system. I think I've lost all of them once (first major boss), but after that I've only come close to losing everyone once or twice by pushing it.
My only issue is that team-members are getting hit a bit too often, I imagine multiplayer is supposed to fill your roster a bit, but I haven't ventured there yet. They do a great job of keeping me alive though.

Some tips for playing through the PPSSPP emulator:

1. Don't forget to grab the experimental developer build that was mentioned in the OP until 0.9.9 or whatever the next release of PPSSPP is, it has many fixes specifically for the game.

2. Rendering mode should be set to Buffered Rendering. Every other mode seems to exhibit artifacts or loss of graphics. I don't see any issues with this mode but its possible they exist; I decided against using my psp-1000 in favor of having higher resolution textures and the DS3.

3. Map your Dpad (using PPSSPP) to the right stick for a more natural camera system, unfortunately when you move the camera does fight you a bit but it's much easier than doing the claw.

4. If you have an SSD I recommend you put the game there, otherwise you will encounter some pretty nasty stutters, I think PPSSPP hasn't quite figured out how to stream content smoothly- I'm pretty sure my ordinary harddrive is much faster than anything the PSP had! Using an SSD fixed all issues (or virtual ramdrive).

5. No texture scaling. Unfortunately I couldn't get 2x texture scaling without stuttering issues; the game still looks much better than the PSP due to rendering resolution however. I think this might improve in the coming PPSSPP releases soon.

Hopefully my opinion about the game won't 180 as I continue through the game but it's very promising thus far. If only we could get these sort of games again.. I can't imagine how awesome this game would have been on PS3, though it doesn't feel limited on the PSP to begin with.

Yeah, camera mapped to the right stick. It's just that on PPSSPP, for some reason, when you map the camera to both the dpad and the right stick, it introduces some delay on the button presses which makes it feel more sluggish than it does on the VitaTV.
Yeah I noticed this also, makes the actual Dpad unusable.. the analog seems to fight it.

TL;DR Seems worthy of the Final Fantasy legacy

Yeah I noticed this too.

ambientmysticIs or anyone who can help... is there any way to fix this?

wmlk

Has anybody found a fix for the black screen right after selecting New Game on PSP? I am using 6.60-B9.

Also, I cannot believe how smooth PPSSPP runs on my MBA native to Terminal. It's staggering. No overheat and fan going crazy either.

Aeana

Has anybody found a fix for the black screen right after selecting New Game on PSP? I am using 6.60-B9.

Also, I cannot believe how smooth PPSSPP runs on my MBA native to Terminal. It's staggering. No overheat and fan going crazy either.
Are you using the Inferno ISO driver?

aravuus

Aww, the Arena is only for practicing? No tournaments against increasingly harder opponents with awesome rewards, like in the Tales of games? Damn, I love that kind of stuff

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Aww, the Arena is only for practicing? No tournaments against increasingly harder opponents with awesome rewards, like in the Tales of games? Damn, I love that kind of stuff

Yeah I personally hoped for a boss rush mode of sorts myself.

aravuus

Yeah I personally hoped for a boss rush mode of sorts myself.

Yeah, boss rush would have been sweet.

Talking about bosses, ran into the first really dumb one, a big robot with two flying martinet's with it in the first optional mission thing. Otherwise it's okay, but the martinet's have machine guns that literally never run out of ammo, they just keep firing at you until you die. They shoot fast, the bullets travel fast and they track you like they're glued to you. Get caught up in the fire, you're 100% dead or in other words, stop dodging and you're dead.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but it feels like it certainly shouldn't work like this.

Manac0r

Shot in the dark but anyone had luck getting this working on PPSSPP 0.9.8.1088 (latest dev build) on Nvidia Shield. I get mad stuttering and the cut scenes don't seem to work. Anyone had any luck? Not holding my breath on this as its niche as hell....

aravuus

Wow thank god I had a normal save not too far back from where I was, a chapter 3 mission kept crashing in the same room and I had just saved the gamestate seconds before a crash. Every time I loaded the savestate, the game crashed.

Trying to get through this is going to be fun, it's the biggest room in the mission, you have to go through it a couple of times and it will crash, it's just a matter of luck whether it's 10 seconds or 30 seconds from entering.

Luigi87

So that's what was going on... I was wondering why suddenly my controls for the right stick seemed off.

Cikay

Hajime Tabata.

He is really good with cutscene direction. Which is why if XV ever releases the cutscenes will be fantastic.

If XV cutscenes are fantastic, it will be more likely thanks to Jun Akiyama, who is the event director of the game. He had the same job on Matsuno's games (FFT, Vagrant Story, FFXII) and Kingdom Hearts 1.

I remind you that Vagrant Story's opening is the best cutscene ever.

Taruranto

Does anyone have the save from the demo to unlock the costumes? I have one but I'm not sure it's gonna works, I heard there were compatibility problems?

Does anyone have the save from the demo to unlock the costumes? I have one but I'm not sure it's gonna works, I heard there were compatibility problems?
Here.

The save works well using PPSSPP. It is detected correctly and the Summer costumes were unlocked upon starting a New Game.

You just need to place them (both folders in rar archive) at the following path:-

Code:
your ppsspp directory\memstick\PSP\SAVEDATA

(create the relevant memstick, psp, and savedata folders if they don't exist.)

dramatis

Do those mini-RTS missions get difficult later. I don't like them too much and would rather just breeze through them.
The RTS sections are, as I recall, very linear in how you progress through them. If they get difficult, it's probably because you're doing something wrong, because there literally is a specific set of steps you take to guarantee victory.

Those parts are easily the worst parts of the game.

Taruranto

Here.

The save works well using PPSSPP. It is detected correctly and the Summer costumes were unlocked upon starting a New Game.

You just need to place them (both folders in rar archive) at the following path:-

Code:
your ppsspp directory\memstick\PSP\SAVEDATA

(create the relevant memstick, psp, and savedata folders if they don't exist.)

Thanks.

I plan to play it on PSP, not going to start it now 'cause I have so other stuff to play at the moment and the game seems quite big, but I like to have everything ready.

ZeroX03

Banned
Were you able toap the camera controls to the right stick?

Just a quick little addition to this, you might need to clear your d-pad defaults in PPSSPP before remapping them to the right stick. I've had trouble getting it to allow both the d-pad and right stick at the same time. It sometimes only lets me have one or the other. Right stick is a huge improvement though.

Thanks for this, I'll also play it on the Shield. :D

Not a problem. You can get 2x rendering resolution, but anything over that it can fall to pieces in case you were wanting to do a 1080p output. HDMI output. Looks like texture scaling issues may get sorted, so that'll fix the text sharpness.

Can someone please help me, I've literally wasted half the day trying to get this up and running across the Vita and the PC!

Have a Vita with 6.60TN-V8 installed (actual Vita firmware is 1.81), and using the MadBlockerAlpha game to transfer it over. Put it into the save file and transferred if over from PC with the ISO (2.85GB) included in the save file. Had about 3.2GB left on my memory card, so no issue with space. Bar filled all the way to the end after about 5 mins but....nothing. All files except the ISO (renamed MYGAME.iso) transferred over. Tried that again a few times, but still nothing (even deleted the save that was on the Vita so that it wasn't over writing anything). So then I moved onto FTPing it over, created an ISO folder in the root, FTPed it over (which took ages)....and nothing! Doesn't show up, and for some reason it now says its 1.4GB rather than 2.8GB on the Vita. Deleted it and did it again...AND SAME DAMN THING!!

So then I decided to use PC emulator instead....and got hit with below error message, which seems to be caused by Microsoft VC that I haven't been able to resolve, because all my VC installs seem to be screwed and won't fix/reinstall.

http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg559/tomahook/errorx64_zps82002c2f.png

Can someone PLEASE help me here? I just want to play the damn thing on my Vita!!

Edit: Just by the way, my Vita actually shows the correct amount of memory that should be left, so even though it says that the file is 1.4GB when FTPed in, my Vita is recgonising it as 2.8GB.

Jack's super strong and he was my go-to guy in the JP version, and I've been using him a fair bit this time too. But I've actually found myself using Ace more this time as well, when I didn't care for him when I played the JP version.
When I found out how amazing Jack was, I used him from then on and didn't bother trying to main other characters. Hits like a truck and his counter move is good too. Eight was decent and hits alright, but Jack does the job a lot faster.

I can't seem to find a good way to use Nine, though. He's kind of slow and doesn't hit that hard. I've only levelled him up to about 15 or so, but does he get any better?

WarRock

Would suggest upgrading to B10.

Yeah, boss rush would have been sweet.

Talking about bosses, ran into the first really dumb one, a big robot with two flying martinet's with it in the first optional mission thing. Otherwise it's okay, but the martinet's have machine guns that literally never run out of ammo, they just keep firing at you until you die. They shoot fast, the bullets travel fast and they track you like they're glued to you. Get caught up in the fire, you're 100% dead or in other words, stop dodging and you're dead.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but it feels like it certainly shouldn't work like this.

That boss, and a couple of others, are too unbalanced for playing with AI partners. I strongly suggest trying to solo a boss with too unpredictable patterns/abusing projectiles.

To be honest, I only beat a specific mid-game boss when soloing, it went from getting completely destroyed in less than a minute to beating him in 20ish seconds with any character.

Do those mini-RTS missions get difficult later. I don't like them too much and would rather just breeze through them.

I found all of the compulsory RTS missions pretty easy, and I'm awful at strategy games.

When I found out how amazing Jack was, I used him from then on and didn't bother trying to main other characters. Hits like a truck and his counter move is good too. Eight was decent and hits alright, but Jack does the job a lot faster.

I can't seem to find a good way to use Nine, though. He's kind of slow and doesn't hit that hard. I've only levelled him up to about 15 or so, but does he get any better?

He is pretty easy to Kill Sight with, and the throw lance skill is really strong as I recall. Plus wide are with his down triangle chain. Jack, Eight and Nine are my go-to dudes, Sice, Seven and Deuce my go-to girls.
Melee > ranged

MBison

My psp 3k wouldn't load it until I upgraded to 6.60 pro-c. Works fine now.

Zukuu

Banned
Can I ever get new weapons? I'm almost in chapter 4 and haven't found any other weapon apart from the first bunch of Silver xxx you can buy. o_O

I main Nine and he has a lot going for him. The last two hits of his chain attack are just DEVASTATING, his Jump is great AoE damage and you're immune to damage and effects while in the air and landing. It's also very cheap. The 2nd attack of jump (which looks like a normal spear thrust, but deals way more damage) almost makes back the meter it uses alone. Highest HP and DEF of the entire cast to boost on top.

B.K.

I was just reading that too. Probably just importing the fan translation.

Yeah. The fan translation is more than enough for me. Fuck Square Enix. I can't believe so many people in that thread are suddenly forgiving Square Enix for the way they've been doing things for the last decade just because they're doing a HD port of a game we should have had years ago.

Renpatsu

And here I was making a custom Type-0 Vita cover.... And here comes the real thing. This is the biggest thing coming out of E3 for me now.

What? No. Square-Enix has had the game fully translated for a while now. This has been known.

Yeah, this along with English VO has been the case for awhile.

Top Bottom