• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII confirmed for Xbox 360

Status
Not open for further replies.

Threi

notag
EricDiesel said:
I can't believe nobody gets it was satire. Honestly, reading YouTube comments makes me lose so much faith in the human race...
I guess you missed the whole Chad Warden thing.

Zoe

gregor7777 said:
SE on the 360 is great news for Mistwalker.

It's a confirmation of sorts for the Gooch, even if it is an unspoken one. He made the right choice.

The only thing this confirms is the right choice would have been multiplatform.

Zoe said:
The only thing this confirms is the right choice would have been multiplatform.

As far as I am aware, the Gooch didn't exactly have the cash laying around in his house to put on the productions for LO and BD.

For what they are, his games sold pretty damn well (particularly LO at around 700k worldwide), he didn't have to spend a dollar of his own money, and he gets to spend his time surfing.

All that, and he's 'developing' on a platform which is the JRPG leader this gen, by far.

How did he not make the right choice?

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Finally back .. internet went down a few minutes after the conference lol.

I also believe this is fantastic news for Mistwalker. Bringing FFXIII to the 360 makes me feel a hell of alot better in thinking that MS will keep supporting Mistwalker.

Paracelsus

Emenis said:
Finally back .. internet went down a few minutes after the conference lol.

I also believe this is fantastic news for Mistwalker. Bringing FFXIII to the 360 makes me feel a hell of alot better in thinking that MS will keep supporting Mistwalker.

Actually, forgive me if I am wrong, I do recall an interview in which Sakaguchi wanted Microsoft to "moneyhat" games like FFXIII in order to extend the userbase of the x360 in Japan, so that his own games would sell properly.

FFXIII is PS3 exclusive in Japan, though, so nothing should change there, aside from pushing the PS3 hardware a little more.

I think Microsoft is slowly starting to consider MW like their own "Level-5", giving importance to bigger titles like FFXIII, whether they're multi or not.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
@Paracelsus: Although its true that FF13 is exclusive in Japan for PS3 this is still wonderful news for Mistwalker in my opinion.

Remember that lost odyssey was heavily catered to western audiences.

Edit: On your edit, you could be right.

DevilWillcry said:
Wait Versus is still exclusive to the PS3? Wonder if that had anything to do with Nomura.

No reason for Square to empty all its eggs from one basket all at once. I'm not saying it won't be exclusive, but is there any reason for Square to NOT wait until it sees how much money FFXIII makes on the 360 before it makes a decision on Versus?

near

Gold Member
Not really sure why people keep referring to Mistwalker, though they've made 360 games in the past, it doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Nolan.

Paracelsus said:
Actually, forgive me if I am wrong, I do recall an interview in which Sakaguchi wanted Microsoft to "moneyhat" games like FFXIII in order to extend the userbase of the x360 in Japan, so that his own games would sell properly.

FFXIII is PS3 exclusive in Japan, though, so nothing should change there, aside from pushing the PS3 hardware a little more.

I think Microsoft is slowly starting to consider MW like their own "Level-5", giving importance to bigger titles like FFXIII, whether they're multi or not.

Really.? Would be nice if you can find that interview. The only one he mentions effects I can recall is the one where he says having FFXiii on 360 ''makes sense''. Then going on to mention North american and European territories as the main reason. Would be funny to read that interview though.

Paracelsus

Dark FaZe said:
No reason for Square to empty all its eggs from one basket all at once. I'm not saying it won't be exclusive, but is there any reason for Square to NOT wait until it sees how much money FFXIII makes on the 360 before it makes a decision on Versus?

Actually, since it's been confirmed that Versus has not been put on hold because of FFXIII, but that the KH staff only sometimes goes and helps the FF team so both games are being developed according to the schedule, it's possibile to assume that Versus will be released, at least in Japan, even before that FFXIII makes its way to the West (2010). At worst, it should be timed exclusive.

Torquill

webrunner said:
If the (what was it called? White?) Engine really is multi-platform, then while the translation team was working the port team would be woking, and it wouldn't take that long to port- and once the translation is done they'd just transfer the data files over.

The official name is Crystal Tools. White Engine was just a working title.

ari

Banned
jeremy_ricci said:
So do people still think this is a big deal?
The question should be do people actually think its not a big deal. Like i said yesterday, There is no goddamn way anyone could try to spin this shit.

Keeping track of a thread this size is hell.

Has anyone released an HD direct-feed video yet, or are Square saving it for another 18 months down the line?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
God's Beard said:
I have a 360 and no PS3, and I love Final Fantasy, so yeah this is a big deal. As for sales or whatever, who gives a fuck? I'm a gamer, not an economist.
The economy of games will determine where you should spend your money to get the best games in the future.

God's Beard said:
I have a 360 and no PS3, and I love Final Fantasy, so yeah this is a big deal. As for sales or whatever, who gives a fuck? I'm a gamer, not an economist.
+1 It's a big deal to Sony(who cares?) but not to multi-console owners. Which makes up majority of Gaf?

Quazar

Here's the Sakaguchi interview you guys were talking about:

HS: I feel that the Final Fantasy series should come to Xbox 360 as well. This is wise. It makes so much sense to me...it has so much potential in North America and in Europe. So there's a great chance for the series to succeed on 360 as well.

[in English] And I heard they made the White Engine open platform as well. [Final Fantasy XIII is being developed on the White Engine; if the engine is indeed cross-platform, an Xbox 360 port would be a simple matter. -ed.]

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6167571.html

Also in a Kotaku interview he mentioned it.

jimbo

Banned
Ok so now that the shock has died down, and the thread is just about completely derailed, where are all the people that are actually excited that FFXIII is coming to the 360 and genuinely care about the game itself?

I know I am not the only one that has been waiting and hoping for this for a pretty long time. Can't wait to find out more about it and hopefully at least get an idea of a release date.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I've been screaming for the trailer to make its way to Live for three days now. If you haven't posted at least one post with the word "hamauzu" in it in giant letters, then you are a console douchetwister.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I was going to say that "Installing to the HDD makes how many DVDs FFXIII will come on irrelevant" but then I remembered that actually installing the game will require you to sit at the 360, swapping the DVDs around.

;_;

God knows how many DVDs this will come on, considering SEs penchant towards CG and what will now be the HD version of it.

Quazar

BlueTsunami said:
I was going to say that "Installing to the HDD makes how many DVDs FFXIII will come on irrelevant" but then I remembered that actually installing the game will require you to sit at the 360, swapping the DVDs around.

;_;

God knows how many DVDs this will come on, considering SEs penchant towards CG and what will now be the HD version of it.

huh? Pretty sure they can do it like PC and just have you use one. Why not?

Zoe

BlueTsunami said:

If they can actually get away with requiring an installation, then they'd be free to compress the hell out of it and do all of the other things that PC games pull off with installations.

Quazar said:

That's only if MS will allow them to make the installation required.

BlueTsunami

Quazar said:

No, I meant like actually intalling the Data. Your going to have to wait till the thing fully installs and it'll probably be on 4 DVDs. Not that its a huge issue (we all do it on PCs!, well, when CDs were mainly used).

Zoe said:
If they can actually get away with requiring an installation, then they'd be free to compress the hell out of it and do all of the other things that PC games pull off with installations.

This is true but it sounds like "Installations" will be optional. So by doing that, SE is making the 360 user install the game to the HDD instead of being able to just run the game off the disk.

Quazar

Zoe said:

That's only if MS will allow them to make the installation required.

Uhhh it's optional on 360, so of course SE can do it.

Zoe

Quazar said:
Uhhh it's optional on 360, so of course SE can do it.

Uhhh, it's optional on 360, so of course SE can make it required?

We have no way of knowing right now whether MS will let them. It's certainly a possibility, but it's not a certainty.

Zoe said:

We have no way of knowing right now whether MS will let them. It's certainly a possibility, but it's not a certainty.

it is a certainty that it will not be required. you just don't know what you're going on about.

BlueTsunami

Zoe said:

Its optional for the gamer, not the gaming company. The game needs to be played off the disk if the player should want to play it off the disk, yet, it should still be able to be installed to the HDD.

Quazar

Zoe said:

You just don't get it. They don't have to make it required.

CowboyAstronaut said:
It was probably a part of their agreement with SE to allow required installs or something.

No, the installs are not and can not be required.

Completely optional full installs, if the customer chooses to.

The whole installation thing is all about making the drive spin less, right? So the 360 will create an ISO on the hard drive (since all games will support it I think this is the solution MS uses) and the DVD will be used as protection-check. So basically you are not installing anything, neither do the developers install anything (textures, sounds etc.), the game gets transfered to the drive as a whole and probably untouched ISO file.

The devs dont have ANY advantage of this. Only the players who want to play without a spinning dvd drive.

And since this works with all games, current and coming ones, I dont even think devs have to do anything so this feature can work. Its all about the ability of the 360, not the devs.

Hellraizer said:
The whole installation thing is all about making the drive spin less, right? So the 360 will create an ISO on the hard drive (since all games will support it I think this is the solution MS uses) and the DVD will be used as protection-check. So basically you are not installing anything, neither do the developers install anything (textures, sounds etc.), the game gets transfered to the drive as a whole and probably untouched ISO file.

The devs dont have ANY advantage of this. Only the players who want to play without a spinning dvd drive.

Well, because it will be compatible with existing games, I think you're right about the ISO part.

But the HDD is faster than an optical drive when it comes to data access, so it's possible/likely it will speed up things like load times.

gregor7777 said:
Well, because it will be compatible with existing games, I think you're right about the ISO part.

But the HDD is faster than an optical drive when it comes to access, so it's possible/likely it will speed up things like load times.
Well yes, that too, it will definetly bring a lot of advantages, but as I said, this is nothing that should concern developers, and the developers dont have to think about installations on 360, since it works with existing games out of the box (I assume).

I think we could compare those installs with the in-game custom soundtracks feature - both will get handeld by the 360, not the developers.

Hellraizer said:

And since this works with all games, current and coming ones, I dont even think devs have to do anything so this feature can work. Its all about the ability of the 360, not the devs.

Sounds about right to me.

Zoe said:
It's not like there isn't a precedent for a game requiring the HDD.

What he saying you don't 'get' is that this really has very little to nothing to do with devs, as has already been pointed out. Existing games allow full installs. Meaning it is completely transparent to the dev. It has to be, else how would it work with a launch game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom