• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII on Steam October 9th, $16; full trilogy by Spring 2015

Percy

Banned
Well, if nothing else this'll result in a version of Lightning Returns that doesn't run like shit.

But on the flipside of that, it'll still be Lightning Returns.

ConceptX

Is it really that bad? I've never played these games before.

For the price it is, I'd say buy it and try it out for yourself, you may love it, you may hate it.

Totally my opinion, but you can hardly go wrong for £9 for such a large scale and gorgeous game.

A lot of people who hate it seem to forget that for a lot of people, this was the first FF they played, and they loved it, in reality 13 is actually pretty popular. I wouldn't call myself a "fan" of 13, but I can't say I'd go out my way to promote it either, best to try it out yourself.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I don't think you guys need to support this to get 15, they obviously are running from a DX11 and PC codebase in the first place, so bringing that out on PC with no compromises is just common sense.

Jisgsaw

Well, if nothing else this'll result in a version of Lightning Returns that doesn't run like shit.

But on the flipside of that, it'll still be Lightning Returns.

Funny how Lightning Returns is considered.
I'm pretty sure it's the game of the trilogy I enjoyed the most. Having a game that runs somewhat well would be great.

Seanspeed

Banned
#1? Why gamers why?!? This just tells game companies all you people like are shiny lights and can be entertained with jingling keys.

Do we not deserve better? Better stories? Deeper characters? A giant explorable world? Some actual RPG elements aside from an exp system?

When FF15 turns out to be more of the same you will only have yourselves to blame.
Or we could not buy this and then not be able to play FFXV at all, which would suck if it actually does turn out good.

I dont know why you're assuming FFXV is gonna be just like XIII, either.

RK9039

Overall is not that bad, is a pretty mediocre JRPG. But there have been worst, way worst.

Two things saved the game. The battle system and the soundtrack.

You are probably better off just buying the soundtrack somewhere.

For the price it is, I'd say buy it and try it out for yourself, you may love it, you may hate it.

Totally my opinion, but you can hardly go wrong for £9 for such a large scale and gorgeous game.

A lot of people who hate it seem to forget that for a lot of people, this was the first FF they played, and they loved it, in reality 13 is actually pretty popular. I wouldn't call myself a "fan" of 13, but I can't say I'd go out my way to promote it either, best to try it out yourself.

Alright, thanks guys I'm gonna check it out. It's already sitting there in my library.

Fractal

Banned
An interesting turn of events. By the way things are going, seems in a few years, we'll have the whole franchise available on the PC. If that happens, maybe I'll actually give it a try some time... never played any FF game.

Arren

Really nice and unexpected! Despite its limits which I certainly recognize, this is a game I've always appreciated since its very first iteration and Hamauzu's wonderful soundtrack contributed to my enjoyment greatly. I deem it to be his finest work to this day.

I need to ask for technical advice over something though: I'd like to pre-order this game in its Japanese version (with japanese audio and text) and I can't exactly figure out how to do this through Steam, since I only own and use an Italian account.
Can anyone tell me if and how that is feasible, or if I have to fear some kind of dreadful region lock?

ss_lemonade

I remember the original 13 running and looking the best, then the series just got progressively worse for some reason with each new title (in terms of visual fidelity, framerate).

Hope they don't do something silly like lock resolutions and framerates

Fractal

Banned
#1? Why gamers why?!? This just tells game companies all you people like are shiny lights and can be entertained with jingling keys.

Do we not deserve better? Better stories? Deeper characters? A giant explorable world? Some actual RPG elements aside from an exp system?

When FF15 turns out to be more of the same you will only have yourselves to blame.
I don't think "shiny lights and jingling keys" have anything to do with it. I think it's much more likely people are buying it since it's the most popular JRPG franchise (go easy on me if I'm wrong, don't follow the genre too closely), and on the PC, there aren't too many JRPGs, so getting the most recent FF game is a real treat.

Danielsan

I hated FFXIII, but I'd almost buy this just to get more FF titles on Steam. Give me the FFX had remaster as well as a FFXII remaster/release on Steam please.

Hmm ... should I get this? Seems cheap enough.
I like character driven RPGs, but have only seen FFVIII run on my friends Playstation.

That would just make it harder to mix and match. My skill at binary reverse engineering is serviceable.
So .. your over/under on how long it takes for someone to port the japanese dub?

At that price, it's a low enough risk for me to try it. I simply have to try this game myself, good or bad, after seeing how polarizing it is.

HeelPower

Hell yeah! She is headed to steam!

tumblr_nbd8t5wdEI1r1onouo1_500.gif
tumblr_nbd8t5wdEI1r1onouo2_500.gif

Teknoman

Is it really that bad? I've never played these games before.

The problem with XIII (or at least my problem) is that the majority of the game feels like a tutorial, the areas are usually linear paths and the dungeons are about the same. The story somewhat makes since for a few segments early on, but then afterwards it becomes sorta jumbled until you beat the game,

The soundtrack was amazing and the enemies were pretty cool looking, but the battle system itself just felt really bland. You can only have 3 people to a party, but the other two are AI controlled, and the essence of the combat is just hitting an enemy with a weakness till break status, launching it, then pummeling it midair. Launching enemies is cool and all, and figuring out how to get an enemy into break was a nice addition, but it really just felt too automated / that you were just spamming X for most fights on one attack.

You can only use the summon of the leader, which means you most likely wont see any other summons in battle unless you decide to change your leader or party make up entirely, same with character's "limit break" style attacks. You would think that at least you could activate anyone's summon or ultimate attack that was in battle at that time.

You buy or upgrade equipment ala VIII (which personally wasnt a fan of) but the variety in weapon models really wasnt that great...and they never really had actual towns or shops to use, let alone items of worth to find that made dungeon exploring worthwhile. I can understand using an online purchase service if you were way out in some dungeon or uncharted area, but to just go full with no small outposts or even monster run shops? It just didnt feel rewarding at all.

I really felt like XIII was just wasted potential, especially after how long it took to finally release, and i'm still hoping FFX's take on the classic turn based battle system is used in the future, or they at least continue to upgrade that, instead of going off in totally different directions.

FFXV for instance, looks and sounds great so far, but i'm still holding my breath about the action rpg style battle system.

EDIT: Since there are some people that seem to really like the battle system, could someone give me their opinion on what makes this battle system so great, at least compared to say... III-XII?

Of all the FF titles, they port FF XIII? Yeah, I have no interest in this game, but this pretty much confirms that FF XV will be on PC?

MRORANGE

I dunno, JRPG's are traditionally console based games, It won't feel right playing this on PC at all, especially on a small monitor.

antitrop

Personally i'm surprised there are people who think the battle system was good. Good graphics and good soundtrack, sure...but the battle system is down there on the lower tier of the series.

Even though FFX had a somewhat similar linear overworld system, at least the battle system was really fun and strategic. Square really needs to stop forcing upgrade weapon only systems on main series games though.
Well, I guess I'll have a good chance to reevaluate my stance on the battle system here in a month.

Dinda

I dunno, JRPG's are traditionally console based games, It won't feel right playing this on PC at all, especially on a small monitor.

Wut? Then buy a controller and play it on your TV? Or do you think you have to play PC with a Keyboard and on an Monitor?

Of all the FF titles, they port FF XIII? Yeah, I have no interest in this game, but this pretty much confirms that FF XV will be on PC?

They've been porting a lot of their games to PC lately... Re-releasing 7 and 8, porting 3 and 4. Not to mention their MMOs in 11 and 14 have been available on PC since launch... And now they are taking the next step and porting the 13 series.

Squeenix is in the process of porting most (if not all) of them to PC, just give it time till the better stuff hits.

Top Bottom