• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII on Steam October 9th, $16; full trilogy by Spring 2015

ConceptX

How many would of believed FF13 would ever be #1 on Steam.

What a glorious day. I wish we had livecam reactions at Square Enix HQ.

If they don't bring future titles to PC now (And more past titles), then nothing can convince them.

Honestly making it this price, is one of the greatest moves they have ever done, a price with real logic.

Each to their own, but for £9, I can ignore the average story and enjoy the visuals, music and battles.

Toki767

It's frikkin' amazing and fits the theme imo! This and New World (FFXIII-2 ending) is sooooooooooooo fucking gooooooooooooooooooood!

See at least with New World, they matched it up with the music from the Japanese version. My Hands doesn't at all sound like Kimi ga Iru Kara.

I'm kind of curious just to see what all the hate is about, but on the other hand I doubt I have the time to play something that long.

If you haven't played the others then you might not see where the hate is coming from. There some who have played the others and like XIII, though. Each to their own.

Gbraga

tuE6umo.jpg

HAHAHAHAHA

Cirruss

Was going to buy this as soon as it was released to help persuade Squenix to release more of their games on Steam, but seeing as its already number 1 I guess they don't need my help and I can wait until the Xmas sale before playing it.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
All of the light in the FF13 was just a shit ton of bloom disguised as actual light. If you look too hard at it in some places its terrible, its not actual lighting mechanics. In combination with sausage fingers, who knows how it might turn out.

A lot of the prettyness of these games is just clever manipulation, not actual technical showcase, and blown up to 1080p it could be a problem.

I dont even know if they'll let you go to 60fps based on how the prerendered cut-scenes(which are 80% of the game) are locked at 30.

But its still a trilogy of 'games', so i say PC gamers, come suffer with us :D

Just don't put it on next gen Toriyama cause i refuse to buy them a second time.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
He's staunchly against DRM, not that the game being on Steam means it's required to have DRM (but I don't see Squeenix releasing the game DRM-free).

He can buy the console version then.

antitrop

I think most people agreed it was a pretty game.

Great graphics, good battle system, good soundtrack, offensively poor characters, straight-line level design, insanely terrible pacing "it doesn't get good until 20 hours in", incomprehensible plot filled with keywords that makes you feel stupider for reading them, boring sidequests/minigames.

Terrible game.

SougoXIII

Wellllll, Hopefully. Hopefully the PC port means that there will be mods to fix the some of the gameplay issues.

*finger crossed*

He's staunchly against DRM, not that the game being on Steam means it's required to have DRM (but I don't see Squeenix releasing the game DRM-free).

Ppl should remember the FF 7 fiasco when it was sold only on their web.

We should be glad they are releasing it on Steam.

Oemenia

Banned
So what are the chances of an XIII trilogy on PS4/XB1? Wouldn't piecemeal releases on PC kill the sales of the console release!

Claneko

I liked the game decently enough, but hopefully they will bring these to MAC as well because I have completely abandoned Windows and won't go back just for a game.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
i'm heading to bed

this has been the best day in such a long time

Square is back guys

Square is fucking BACK!

Teknoman

Great graphics, good battle system, good soundtrack, offensively poor characters, straight-line level design, insanely terrible pacing "it doesn't get good until 20 hours in", incomprehensible plot filled with keywords that makes you feel stupider for reading them, boring sidequests/minigames.

Terrible game.

Personally i'm surprised there are people who think the battle system was good. Good graphics and good soundtrack, sure...but the battle system is down there on the lower tier of the series.

Even though FFX had a somewhat similar linear overworld system, at least the battle system was really fun and strategic. Square really needs to stop forcing upgrade weapon only systems on main series games though.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Didn't people learn their lesson preordering console ports with DR3? Great price but I'll wait until we know more.

Pilgrimzero

#1? Why gamers why?!? This just tells game companies all you people like are shiny lights and can be entertained with jingling keys.

Do we not deserve better? Better stories? Deeper characters? A giant explorable world? Some actual RPG elements aside from an exp system?

When FF15 turns out to be more of the same you will only have yourselves to blame.

VandalD

More FF on Steam is good, but I have absolutely no interest in FF13. Happy for those that wanted it.
You weirdos.

Inuhanyou

The linear game design is there for the whole game, not just 2/3rds..it just gives you a huge area to run around with at some point, but your still just running through that place to get somewhere else, there's nothing there to actually find or do there outside of monsters.

You cant compare the archetype steppe to the calm lands where you can actually go to the side, get the sisters, and then go back and get capture all the animals in the world and then fight the stronger variants as well as the special original enemies.

You can never go back to 99% of the areas you visit in the game, unlike X which lets you literally go anywhere after you get the airship. You dont even get an airship to control in the game.

Teknoman

I wouldn't call them back until FFXV released with decent story (no need to be FFVI-X level, as long as it miles better than XIII)

I'd be happy with the story landing anywhere between IV-XI.

XII started out awesome, but then the story just seemed to drop off (unless that was just me getting too into Hunts).

XIV is still progressing and has a fairly standard classic FF story, so I guess that would be fine.

EDIT: Once FFX started to mark points for an Airship to travel instead of letting us actually fly there, that was the beginning of the end. One thing that Lost Odyssey (even though it had points for walking travel, airship/boat let you go anywhere) and Blue Dragon did right.

Kind of sad that Dragon Quest VIII is still the bar for the best overworld Square Enix has produced thus far. You'd think with PS3 tech, they would've been able to knock it out of the park. At least Bravely Default has an overworld I guess.

legacyzero

Banned
Now, actually have good PC options to make this beautiful game shine. Because that's really the only good thing going for it.

RK9039

#1? Why gamers why?!? This just tells game companies all you people like are shiny lights and can be entertained with jingling keys.

Do we not deserve better? Better stories? Deeper characters? A giant explorable world? Some actual RPG elements aside from an exp system?

When FF15 turns out to be more of the same you will only have yourselves to blame.

Is it really that bad? I've never played these games before.

Kinda hard when it's all SE is giving us, and they're using it to gauge PC interest in their games.

If no one buys it, SE won't bring anything else over.

Jisgsaw

It can't be any worse than FFX.

Actually, FF13 arguably has the same focus (and thus weak points) as FFX, but with all the strong points of X (mainly narration) ranging from somewhat inferior (OST, even if 13's one is quite good) to just plain bad (narration).
Except graphisms of course. I don't know how well my memory holds, but I found the game beautifull back then, it could be impressive on PC.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Not gonna buy it for now but I'm looking forward to the Snow nude mods.

I don't hate this game, the battle system is fun enough and the romp isn't that bad to be honest. XIII-2 ended up annoying me quite a bit when all was said and done though. Don't know much about Lightning's Return as I couldn't be bothered at the time, but I'll bite if it's as cheap as this.

Square just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the Japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase FFXIII for any system, nor will they purchase any of Square's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Square has alienated an entire market with this move.

Square, publicly apologize and cancel FFXIII for PC or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Never gets old haha!

This is good news I guess. Gives PC gamers some hope for FFXV to be ported over as well. We will see.

Inuhanyou

Now, actually have good PC options to make this beautiful game shine. Because that's really the only good thing going for it.

With the crystal tools engine at work, dont expect anything good relating to graphics options. Its only a surface pretty game, the engine itself is very limited with no support for DX11 effects or rendering techniques, and bruteforcing goes only so far.

Top Bottom