• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII on Steam October 9th, $16; full trilogy by Spring 2015

Danlord

Yes, if it is connected to a USB3.0 port. Otherwise it might be slow.

It can be done, but definitely not recommended. You'll get slower performance when playing on an external. Plus internal HDD have been getting cheap nowadays. I got a WD green 3TB drive for about $109 on newegg.

Thanks.

It will be via USB 3.0 port itself and the reason why I'm only having an SSD so far is I'm just getting the bare essentials for a PC now for University as I'm a bit limited on funds and so far the PC is costing £776 (without a dedicated GPU) so far and I don't want to stretch too much. I am looking at getting a Western Digital 3TB HDD which will be £74.99 which I may be able to stretch to, but GPU will be first when it's announced and I know the pricing.

Not even for 75% off during steam sales. I had enough of this series on consoles.

It would be nice if this foreshadowed FFXV on PC.

mrlion

I don't understand where Square Enix gets the idea that people won't buy their games on PC...hopefully this will open their eyes a bit wider.

Kuni

tumblr_l5se1iTR0T1qz4w1go1_500.jpg

Now, do i buy FF Type-0 on the PS4 or do i wait for the inevitable PC version? shit, i wish it would come out simultaneously dammit. That's a game i want to buy day one.

I think Final Fantasy Tactics and maybe FFX and X-2 HD have a very real chance to appear on Steam eventually.

Well, the games came out on the Vita, which is basically a mobile device, which means it could come to mobile, which then could come to PC.

So give it anywhere between 3-4 more years and it might happen.

Nzyme32

That non-awkward moment, when you buy FFXIII on steam as your first FF game, then realise you previously bought FFVII at some point but never played it. Well I suppose I'll install VII then

Ravidrath

Totally not surprised that SE is wasting resources on this.

When it comes to anything XIII, this might actually be the first intelligent thing they've done.

There are a ton of people that would love to play these games in parts of the world where consoles are too expensive or just not readily available, and this gives them a chance to buy it.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
That game has bomba written all over it, unfortunately (
or not?
).

Haha, I had to single out Borderlands: TPS because it's the closest title to FFXIII (in ranking) that is notably more expensive. ;) FFXIII is followed by CS:GO ($14.99), L4D2 ($4.99), Age of Wonders 3's new expansion ($9.59), and rounding out the Top 5 is of course Borderlands ($59.99).

Nzyme32

Only if this sells well. Better buy a dozen.

The decision has likely already been made by the other FF games regardless. It is incredibly likely that FFXV will show up on PC. KH I don't know about. If the decision originally to not put games on Steam was as described in the Eurogamer interview, then KH stands a high chance now as well

zulux21

When it comes to anything XIII, this might actually be the first intelligent thing they've done.

There are a ton of people that would love to play these games in parts of the world where consoles are too expensive or just not readily available, and this gives them a chance to buy it.

There are also some people like myself that want some tweaks done to the game to make them playable. I didn't mind the world/story but man I really hated the combat in ff13. It will be a shame though that I got to the magic 20 hour mark on the ps3 version (and didn't continue playing) and will have to redo that though lol.
The decision has likely already been made by the other FF games regardless. It is incredibly likely that FFXV will show up on PC. KH I don't know about. If the decision originally to not put games on Steam was as described in the Eurogamer interview, then KH stands a high chance now as well

if ff15 ends up having online co op like it is rumored to then I would be super happy if it hits PC as I wouldn't buy a second ps4 just to play co op with my wife (until I was able to get it for super cheap like I did with the ps3 :p)

Enthus

Now, do i buy FF Type-0 on the PS4 or do i wait for the inevitable PC version? shit, i wish it would come out simultaneously dammit. That's a game i want to buy day one.

They might as well just announce it now, there is no way it isn't coming eventually. A hold-up is probably the XV demo, they don't want to promise that to console players and not have it available for PC players for whatever BS development reason.

Druz

Semi-related question for PC-GAF, but I'm building a computer and I'm only using an SSD for my primary storage, as it's mainly for University work. I have a 500GB USB 3.0 external HDD I'm using from the PS4's stock HDD so it'll be 5400RPM put into this enclosure.

My question is, will installing and running Final Fantasy XIII (and other big games like Skyrim) be a viable option if it's run from the external HDD?

Seems awfully silly to do performance wise. The game probably relies a lot on streaming too. Just get a new SATA HDD and plug it in the real way. It's not even going to be $50 for the huge speed difference.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Ya'll can bet your asses that I'm listening to My Hands right now!

LhsLbW2.jpg

Let's bring Leona Lewis to Spotify #1 as well! WE CAN DO IT!!!

GioG

Neo Member
I hate FFXIII; easily the worst told story and most restrictive gameplay in the series to me. Despite that, I might still buy it - not because I want it - because it means FFXV and KH3 on PC might be a thing. If FFXV costs me an extra $15 to play it on my device of choice, I may just have to do it. I just hope this port doesn't suck like FFVII and FFVIII did back in the olden days. Those things require mods to be on par with the PSX versions. I'm not expecting all that many graphics options, but I hope I can at least play it with a hack and Eyefinity or something.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
lol

Why... that song is the worst thing about the game tbh.
It's frikkin' amazing and fits the theme imo! This and New World (FFXIII-2 ending) is sooooooooooooo fucking gooooooooooooooooooood!

I'm happy simply because it shows that PC gamers will in fact buy JRPGs.

Though I prefer playing them on handhelds and consoles, I like seeing the audience expand.

Ludist210

If that means FFXV and Kingdom Hearts III are coming to PC, then I don't need a next generation console for quite some time.

eot

Banned
I'm kind of curious just to see what all the hate is about, but on the other hand I doubt I have the time to play something that long.

We shall see how long FF13 remains on the top of the Best Sellers list. If it can stay in the top 10 before release, we can probably start making itprintsmoney.gifs

thematic

I was hoping we'd be able to replace that song with the actual main theme from the Japanese version.

The following Asian languages are supported by the version of this game released for Japan and the rest of Asia.

Subtitles and interface: Japanese, Chinese (traditional), Korean, English
Voiceover: Japanese

according to Steam, anyone from Asia get the Japanese Voice version

Nocturno999

I think FF XIII was the most ignored/underrated game of the generation (graphically). This game is going to melt faces at higher resolutions.

zulux21

If that means FFXV and Kingdom Hearts III are coming to PC, then I don't need a next generation console for quite some time.

it would slow my need down, but I will still need one for disgaea 5 for sure, and persona 5 will likely perform a decent amount better on the ps4 so I likely would want one for that as well. Now if atlus suddenly ports Catherine to the PC and persona 5 looks like it's coming to Pc as well I likely wouldn't buy a ps4 just for disgaea 5 (though I would totally buy the LE for disgaea 5 without owning the console :p)

I think FF XIII was the most ignored/underrated game of the generation (graphically). This game is going to melt faces at higher resolutions.

it indeed should be pretty... though the cheaper price implies that it's a quick port without a lot of changes unlike the more recent remasters from them.

Danlord

Seems awfully silly to do performance wise. The game probably relies a lot on streaming too. Just get a new SATA HDD and plug it in the real way. It's not even going to be $50 for the huge speed difference.

Yeah, I'm just building a PC for University (currently typing out a post for the PC thread) and I'm trying to prioritise components absolutely essential before I jump for an internal HDD which I don't really need straight away, but was curious if running via External would be a viable option in the meantime. I won't be gaming straight away, or at least anything major beyond UT 99 but I'd just like to see if it was possible.

I'll wait and see if there is a good deal on the trilogy, as I said in another thread I still haven't beaten XIII and I have no plans to (or to double dip). 13-2 was a lot better and I played it through to completion, but don't have any immediate desire to replay it... LR doesn't hold much interest to me, but if it's cheap and paired with the first two games my steam desire to 'catch them all' will likely supercede my intelligence telling me I won't play the first two again.

nice will buy at that price

I originally thought the game was garbage, but followed jeremy parish's review and how the game takes such a long time to get going.

ended up enjoying it, it looks gorgeous and the battle system is quite interesting once it gets going (which takes forever, their pacing is terrible there)

Top Bottom