• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII PC |OT| Lightning must not be forgotten

Hikami

I hardly ever play on Steam anymore but somehow managed to play this for 6 hours today. Had fun.

Guys help me.Why am I getting below 30 FPS with this set up ????? Shouldn't I be able to get 60 FPS ? Please HELP ME FIX THIS :( :( :(

Weird, I have a pretty bad PC (barely above minimum) running forced AA/AF and getting a pretty stable 30fps. Not sure how you're getting below 30 with those specs.

Mine;
Intel Core2Duo E4500 2.2ghz
Nvidia Geforce GT 520
4GB Ram

antitrop

Yeah I just got to that part and forgot she says it twice. Yeesus.

I Hope I make it farther than I did on my first attempts back in the day. But man does it look good at 1080/60.

I played for the Achievements and because I enjoyed the battle system. I think I started skipping cutscenes about 3/4 of the way through the game, because I just couldn't take it anymore, but I had to finish it.

I think "Moms are tough." is extra stupid, because she repeats it after she shoots the rocket launcher, as if it's supposed to be some kind of massively profound statement.

Or maybe because that kind of line of dialogue can only have any real impact if its coming from a character that you care about, not one that was introduced 20 minutes ago and doesn't actually even have a name (yet).

I used to get douche chills at "Moms are tough." By now I've heard it so many times that I'm well prepared for that moment when it arrives.

That's the only part of the game that makes me cringe, though. Everything else I can deal with
because it's all amazing

friz898

Hey so read pages 1-30 of this thread, and possibly higher and I don't remember.

Anyway, I read up to the point where it was released, and Durante was starting to work on it and everyboby was like "We love you Durante" (I appreciate his work too).

Came back to this thread after doing life stuff, and like 10 more pages. Anyway, has anything changed since "UGGGGHHHHHH ps3 version >>>" ?

thanks for anybody who understands me not wanting to read 10x50post worth of pages when you have to get up at 5am. and thus answers me.

Levyne

Banned
Hey so read pages 1-30 of this thread, and possibly higher and I don't remember.

Anyway, I read up to the point where it was released, and Durante was starting to work on it and everyboby was like "We love you Durante" (I appreciate his work too).

Came back to this thread after doing life stuff, and like 10 more pages. Anyway, has anything changed since "UGGGGHHHHHH ps3 version >>>" ?

thanks for anybody who understands me not wanting to read 10x50post worth of pages when you have to get up at 5am. and thus answers me.

A very very early version gedosato plugin is available

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=909620

8773_7468.jpeg

This is kind of how I feel about FFXIII at 60fps. It's almost too smooth. I've played the 20-30fps version so much and I'm not used to seeing Lightning move around like that. It almost feels like somebody pressed fast forward on the game.

Don't get me wrong, it's glorious. It's just gonna take some getting used to.

Hikami

halp!
and no, its not because downsampling, it does the same without GeDoSaTo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkdATFqNbKI

Looks like you're using a keyboard, the game constantly checks for a controller which causes those stutters. Didn't know about it til someone pointed it out on the steam forums since I always had my X360 controller connected.

I actually tested it and yep.. Once I started the game with my controller unplugged, I got those same stutters.

Shiavona

Banned
This is kind of how I feel about FFXIII at 60fps. It's almost too smooth. I've played the 20-30fps version so much and I'm not used to seeing Lightning move around like that. It almost feels like somebody pressed fast forward on the game.

Don't get me wrong, it's glorious. It's just gonna take some getting used to.

Some of those later spells are going to be fully insane, like waterga, ruinga and lightningga. I'm not ready.

cafemomo

That's the only part of the game that makes me cringe, though. Everything else I can deal with
because it's all amazing

I'm basically immune to the game at this point.

Although the only part where my life decreases by 1 year every time I see it is when Lightning
hugs hope

It reminds me so much of FFVII and FFVIII

They should just cancel XV and make a VIII remake.

Nevadatan

Looks like you're using a keyboard, the game constantly checks for a controller which causes those stutters. Didn't notice it til someone pointed it out on the steam forums since I always had my X360 controller connected.

I actually tested it and yep.. Once I started the game with my controller unplugged, I got those same stutters.

ah, i have my wireless receptor unplugged.
lets see if it changes atfer i plug the contraption.

Well, I'm a few hours in and I'm kind of disappointed, GAF.

This forum and the rest of the internet convinced me that the game was either an underrated gem falsely slandered by the internet hivemind, or wet sloppy shit out of Satan's asshole. What I've played in the past 3 hours is merely bland and mediocre. I don't have a strong opinion about it at all, good or bad. I'm surprised, given all the virulent back and forth it's generated since launch.

It's still early goings, though, so we'll see what happens.

A mediocre FF sticks out like a sore thumb. You have 4-5 of the best RPGs of all time within the series. 13 is by far the most mediocre for me next to IX but a mediocre FF is still > then even most good JRPGs.

The battle system does get pretty fun later on

I'm basically immune to the game at this point.

Although the only part where my life decreases by 1 year every time I see it is when Lightning
hugs hope

Oh shit, you reminded me! There's one other part that makes me cringe. It's when Light and Hope are in the Whitewood, and she's talking about Snow. It's that line about him being "chummy from the get-go" and how he "thinks he's everybody's pal."

Man, that line bugs me. It's horribly written and poorly delivered, although I'm not sure if it's possible to deliver that line well.

"Now you're thinking like a Pulse l'Cie" is pretty bad too.

Come to think of it, a whole lot of the Lightning/Hope stuff is pretty cringeworthy. Those are by far my least favorite parts of the game.

This forum and the rest of the internet convinced me that the game was either an underrated gem falsely slandered by the internet hivemind, or wet sloppy shit out of Satan's asshole. What I've played in the past 3 hours is merely bland and mediocre. I don't have a strong opinion about it at all, good or bad. I'm surprised, given all the virulent back and forth it's generated since launch.

Even those of us who like the game will tell you the first several hours are bland and mediocre. The battle system starts picking up a lot around Chapter 5 or so (is that the one with
Bulbasaur?
), and really comes into its own around Chapter 10. Chapter 11 is when I fell in love with this game. That's about 20 hours in. >_>

Levyne

Banned
Well, I was able to post some images and webms into the gedosato specific thread, unfortunately gonna be away from my desktop until the middle of next week. Well, hopefully all the DoF fixes and such (hey, maybe even fps issues) will be sorted by then. I'm oddly hyped to get back into the game, seeing how I've already platinumed it and didn't love it.

Well, I was able to post some images and webms into the gedosato specific thread, unfortunately gonna be away from my desktop until the middle of next week. Well, hopefully all the DoF fixes and such (hey, maybe even fps issues) will be sorted by then. I'm oddly hyped to get back into the game, seeing how I've already platinumed it and didn't love it.

I love it and I've never Platinum'd it. It's my white whale. It's a big part of the reason I've kept replaying it year after year.

And now that this version exists, I suspect I'll never Platinum it.

Oh, well. Steam achievements, right? Those are...a thing.

BONKERS

Excuse me for expecting a good port of a 5 year old game. Jesus.
I Thought it would be ok, but so faris the worst PC port since Dark Souls 1 and Ninja Blade.

At least we can use SGSSAA, but haven't figured out the right setting yet as there is issues with the DOF. But

What was the ♥♥♥♥ing point? Final Fantasy XIV 1.0, and Dragon Quest X were/are on PC using the same engine with less issues.

Low volume level
constant microstuttering (Framerate will dip from 60 to like somewhere in the 50s for no reason what so ever) with less than 30% GPU usage on a GTX 570. Averaging in the 20% range at 60FPS
Locked internal resolution to 1280x720
FMV quality is passable. Low resolution,compression easily visible.
Hitting ESC at anytime will quit the game entirely (DAFUQ's idea was this??)
Ultra low res unfiltered aliased shadows (Worse looking than console version)
Shadows have a depth bias issue, resulting in a ton of Shadow Acne
No settings what so ever.

All at the amazing download of 60GB (Because people asked about having Japanese Audio. So instead of being smart and including it as an optional DLC. They just DOUBLED the download size)

Instead of giving Blu-ray quality 1080p Video at 60GB. We get stuck with ♥♥♥♥ty low resolution Bink video in two languages at 60GB. (Rather than 30GB in one language. Don't get me wrong, the option for Japanese should absolutely be there for those who want it)

What was the damn point of releasing this at all like this?

Seriously? Who thought this was OK?

With some proper effort, SE could've killed this port. You could've even improved issues stemming from the in-Engine FMVs being moved to Real time, thus saving a ton of file space.

Could've added options for shadow resolution, Dof resolution, MSAA (Since the game does use it) Alpha to Coverage (Because the hair uses it).

In the case of Shadow resolution, use a tooltip explain what it is. Allow values from 128 to 4096

Offer options for shadow filtering, as currently there is NONE. Unfiltered low resolution shadows. Consider the PS3 and 360 at least had PCF filtering

For DoF have settings like "1/4, 1/2, full" Each being a fraction of the rendering resolution.

A frame cap option that actually works WELL would've been nice too. (Since there are so many FMVs, i'd rather just opt to play at 30FPS, and hopefully get better IQ)

8x SGSSAA pictures
iiiE4AIOfVmvo.png

iYQIJn38t2mLQ.png

iP6Dr4m0bEbzp.png

Dof Problem
inGILCJkzdnIV.png

(Can potentially be fixed if I feel assed to put in any more "effort")

Nevadatan

Looks like you're using a keyboard, the game constantly checks for a controller which causes those stutters. Didn't know about it til someone pointed it out on the steam forums since I always had my X360 controller connected.

and yes.. game runs silky smooth with my x360 plugged.
game looks beautyful with durante's fix. really. looking foward to more features.
(and for a FIX from these cun**s from S-E)

BONKERS

Wow, even after looking at it. It's hard to even tell if it has any MSAA on by default either.

ibxm2IuKRHvUIN.png

8xSGSSAA (again, wip)
i1oHuzx0yFMk3.png

Braag

I'm not putting much trust into Square Enix releasing a single patch for this game.
I'm just holding off until the DoF issue with GeDoSaTo is fixed. In Durante we trust.

kick51

Banned

give it another...15 hours. both sides can agree it takes a very long time to pick up, but the initial stretch does get better as you get more of the battle system.

cafemomo

I love it and I've never Platinum'd it. It's my white whale. It's a big part of the reason I've kept replaying it year after year.

Took me 1 year to plat it the first time. 4 months the second time.

Never bothered with XIII-2 since I wasn't too fond with that game. I could of have platted LR way much earlier (like last December) but I just kept fooling around in the game so it took me 8 months to plat it. But iirc, LR is the easiest to get all the trophies out of the trilogy

These 3 plats are my pride and joy.
Bwuz2kNCQAAfzwh.jpg

If only VIII could be remade with trophy support so I can plat that as well

Have no intentions to plat X-2 & XIII-2. And plating XIV is some time consuming nonsense. Ain't got no time for that

Levyne

Banned
Hopefully bonkers/durante come up with a decent AA tutorial for us that are less well versed since I had to turn off all of my driver based AA since it was giving people weird eyeliner

Though being able to bump up the resolution helps a lot.

xBladeM6x

Hopefully bonkers/durante come up with a decent AA tutorial for use that are less well versed since I had to turn off all of my driver based AA since it was giving people weird eyeliner

Though being able to bump up the resolution helps a lot.

Good lord. Lol

ShadyJ

Yoshichan thats a very kind gesture.

50Gb download jesus... even more installed.

I think ill just play my PS3 copy that i have yet to open lol

So, by bland and boring, does it mean that nothing happens until the later parts?

Like, no set pieces, no cool boss fights, just talking and then walkin a bit and then talking some more?

Because I don't know, to me "being boring" means that nothing is happening, if the story is bad but they are constantly doing something then that is just bad XD

Frumix

Suffering From Success
So, by bland and boring, does it mean that nothing happens until the later parts?

Like, no set pieces, no cool boss fights, just talking and then walkin a bit and then talking some more?

Because I don't know, to me "being boring" means that nothing is happening, if the story is bad but they are constantly doing something then that is just bad XD

The characters meander around so much the final boss literally has to come out and tell them to go to the endgame dungeon already
More or less everything between chapter 3 and 12 can be considered to some extend padding and that's pretty amazing.

Lain

I just... I can't... there are simply no words for this... well apart from lol.

The XentaX guys have had data extractors for the PS3 and 360 versions of FFXIII for a while now.

I'll do a little research, see if there are any changes to the file format between the 360 and PC versions (I'm honestly doubting this).

If there isn't much of an issue here, doing those wonderful things like Replace the controller icons with PSX ones (odds are they're still in the damn files!), and maybe some bigger things like using the PS3 FMV rips for higher quality or using the Cutscene models in gameplay and stuff.

BONKERS

Am having some success with fixing the DoF problem with SGSSAA. (DoF is still pretty undersampled. But at least is blending correctly)Now to try and figure out some other junk>
iqdgTN9eeTSHB.png

ixogG5JY28JFn.png

iTSeVoIPoaauW.png

iog8m9jKkJe8G.png

ibTWQ0ELzHimJ.png

BONKERS

The XentaX guys have had data extractors for the PS3 and 360 versions of FFXIII for a while now.

I'll do a little research, see if there are any changes to the file format between the 360 and PC versions (I'm honestly doubting this).

If there isn't much of an issue here, doing those wonderful things like Replace the controller icons with PSX ones (odds are they're still in the damn files!), and maybe some bigger things like using the PS3 FMV rips for higher quality or using the Cutscene models in gameplay and stuff.

This would be a god send. Though, i'd have to imagine the PS3 FMVs would be formatted differently. Since the 360 and PC versions use Bink.(There is a Bink.dll in one of the directories)

The characters meander around so much the final boss literally has to come out and tell them to go to the endgame dungeon already
More or less everything between chapter 3 and 12 can be considered to some extend padding and that's pretty amazing.

Hmm, too bad I guess =P

Well, hoping for that battle system to deliver the goods then. If I dislike the story and nothing happens there I'll just play another jrpg along with this, so I'll get a cool story and not miss out on XIII's gameplay.

I just want this download to finish already T_T

subtleglitch

Neo Member
Sorry for asking, but does this game have dual audio? Is that the reason why it's such a big download? I've been dying to play this game with the Japanese audio ever since I played it on the PS3.

I'm disheartened to hear that it's a very subpar port, but I'm willing to tinker with it. I just want my Japanese VAs ;-;

BONKERS

Sorry for asking, but does this game have dual audio? Is that the reason why it's such a big download? I've been dying to play this game with the Japanese audio ever since I played it on the PS3.

I'm disheartened to hear that it's a very subpar port, but I'm willing to tinker with it. I just want my Japanese VAs ;-;

Yup. That's why it's 60GB and not 30GB.

Launcher has language option

Levyne

Banned

It depends on your region I think. Here in the US I get both audio. Some people in Asia mentioned only getting one.

Top Bottom