• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII PC |OT| Lightning must not be forgotten

BONKERS

And that would have never happened if Dark Souls 1 hadn't sold decently.

I get what you're saying, but nothing is going to get better if people don't buy these.

Also, £11 seems like a pretty good price for even a mediocre port of a big-name JRPG.

Such a catch 22. Buy shitty product. Only way for for it to get fixed? Get MORE people to buy said shitty product.

And it's not like that, got Bamco to help FromS fix DSI AT ALL.

Only DSII. Which is a heaping pile of bull.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
And that would have never happened if Dark Souls 1 hadn't sold decently.
Well, their dev team was also publicly shamed for it and apologized for their complete and total ignorance of PC development and embarrassing failure in numerous interviews. That may have had a little something to do with their extra effort for Dark Souls 2.

SenkiDala

That is no excuse. Your constant SE shilling is fucking ridiculous. Rendering resolution has NOTHING to do with the game's age/original release, only FMVs.

I agree with him, the game is playable, fully, without any problem or crash. The problem is "just" the 720p (which for some reason isn't ridiculous even on my FHD 46" screen), and the framerate drops. Ok those are REAL issues, but some of you are talking about it like if the game was unplayable, I think it's a bit overreacting.

For exemple I had some Assassins Creed games and Watch Dogs on PC that I couldn't even play, those games had crashes, so many bugs, glitches, etc etc, it's way worst than this FF XIII port.

It's just my opinion though. :)

BONKERS

720p is how it was meant to be played.

This might make sense. If 720p was actually a native resolution of any monitor or tv ever made.

Except they literally don't exist outside the %1 out there from more than half a decade ago.

And the framerate , even with drops on the PS3 is far more stable than this hunk of turd.

I can't remember the last time i've seen such a large amount of frametime variance and such little GPU usage.

Thank you for the advice, everyone, about playing the game.

The last time I played Final Fantasy XIII was a few years ago and I got to Gran Pulse and stopped. So I don't remember everything.

I do remember spending a lot of time grinding though...
Does anyone know when enemies first start re-showing up if you restart the game or go to different areas?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
This might make sense. If 720p was actually a native resolution of any monitor or tv ever made.

Except they literally don't exist outside the %1 out there from more than half a decade ago.

Well, it is basically the target resolution of any PS360 game.

I can see SE thinking "this is how we made the game, it is our original vision". If you were completely out of touch with PC gaming (as Japanese tend to be), and had a model of games being for specific consoles with a specific visual look, this might make sense to you. It's like web developers who can't accept flexible design.

But you know what I really think? They'd rather not offer an official way to increase the resolution until they can put it in a box and sell you the 4K Remaster for $60.

List.

Very low volume (Has basically ~20dB of headroom for volume normalization)
No volume slider(As if it would make a difference since the current levels would probably be max)
Hitting ESC at anytime will quit the game entirely (DAFUQ's idea was this??) Normally this opens any kind of menu in most PC games
Poor performance See below
Microstuttering abundance (IE: Constant dips, but significantly low GPU usage), more with KB&M than controller. I am never getting near 99% GPU usage even with no AA, but constant framerate and frame variance problems. Perhaps due to their VSync ...
Locked to 1280x720
Literally no PC options
No AA it seems like (Where as consoles had MSAA. Though it could just be my eyes)
No stable framerate caps available. Need 30FPS,60FPS and unlocked frame caps.
Ultra low resolution shadows with no decent filtering that look worse than the original
Significant shadow map depth bias issues resulting in Shadow Acne (Google it) that don't exist in the original PS3 game as far as I remember. I will play side by side if I have to.
There are some issues with the alpha test hair (Also mentioned in my Audio post link above) that I don't recall exist in original game. Again I will play side by side. Probably tomorrow night
Sub-par low resolution ultra compressed FMVs (IS BINK)
60GB DL FOR THE ABOVE. Because game includes both JPN and ENG FMVs instead of smartly offering different versions to download or as free DLC

It's 2014, they've had 5 YEARS to get this done right.

Inexcusable.

As well, Resolution =/= Remake.

That sounds like a late port based on the 360 version with no options at all. What a terrible outcome and so much for "Don't worry, FF13 is a PC game that was downported to the consoles".

What are the solutions to the problems and can we put them into the OT?

NBtoaster

Actually, Dark Souls was hardlocked at 30FPS. I wouldn't say it's as bad. Also, it performs pretty well except for the drops related to how the game handle vsync I guess.

Its not a good port but it's not a bad port either. It's just a straight port basically.

The 30fps lock made it more pleasant to play than the sudden jumps between 20/30/60 I'm getting. Also the lack of 360 icons, any options and the worse than PS3 quality cutscenes make it bad.

Also I think the framerate fluctuations cause sound to desync in cutscenes.

ryan0991

Banned
Was getting awful stuttering and framerate fluctuations. So I capped it at 30fps and thought "This is ok, I guess" and then the damn thing started stuttering anyway. Even as it maintained a perfect 30fps it still stuttered like crazy.

WTF...

Goron2000

best junior ever

And the framerate , even with drops on the PS3 is far more stable than this hunk of turd.

I can't remember the last time i've seen such a large amount of frametime variance and such little GPU usage.
Framerate drops are integral to maintaining the spirit of the original release.

BONKERS

That sounds like a late port based on the 360 version with no options at all. What a terrible outcome and so much for "Don't worry, FF13 is a PC game that was downported to the consoles".

What are the solutions to the problems and can we put them into the OT?

I have some solutions as far as AA goes if one doesn't want to use GeDoSaTo (Which I know more will probably prefer that)

Still need additional testing before I can make a final verdict however.

I'm also trying to get some HBAO+ working with the game.

But these , don't necessarily represent major fixes i guess.

Problems still persist for the time being.

Faabulous

Terrible that it doesn't have resolution options, but come on guys. It didn't kill my dog, and as bad as those problems are they did charge accordingly, so yay, right? It's not like they charged us 60 dollars and gave us something mediocre.

Quick update:

Managed to get the .XGRs displaying in Noesis, but they're Swizzled/Endianed:

l8Cr7g1.png

This is getting into stuff like File endians, and thus my knowledge has ended. Anyone else wanna have a go at this? Durante? Whoever?

PM me and I'll throw you the QuickBMS Script.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Terrible that it doesn't have resolution options, but come on guys. It didn't kill my dog, and as bad as those problems are they did charge accordingly, so yay, right? It's not like they charged us 60 dollars and gave us something mediocre.

Like they did on PS360 back in 2010?

The 30fps lock made it more pleasant to play than the sudden jumps between 20/30/60 I'm getting. Also the lack of 360 icons, any options and the worse than PS3 quality cutscenes make it bad.

There is an option for that, if I'm not mistaken.

Hasney

My TV is 720p >_>

But my monitor is 16:10 and 1050p. How hilarious is this going to look trying to run it? I can't believe what I'm reading in here, it is hilarious.

BONKERS

Have ANY of you even played Final Fantasy IV on Steam?

Yes.

Port is just fine TBH. They even fixed the typos from the mobile versions. At least the ones i've seen so far.
No moar load captains be takin mah crystals. GET UR LOAD ELSEWHERE SWINE

Only problem is that battles run at 15FPS...

Performance is rock solid though. So even 30FPS is liveable.
I just had to get in the requisite "XIII sucks" barb. It's actually not bad.

Figured!

Couldn't tell if serious though. Just because I see that kind of sentiment flung around so much. Never can tell when people are messin

My TV is 720p >_>

But my monitor is 16:10 and 1050p. How hilarious is this going to look trying to run it? I can't believe what I'm reading in here, it is hilarious.

Your 720p TV is actually 768p 99/100 times.

I have a 720p TV as well. But again, it's actually 1366x768

Seanspeed

Banned
Such a catch 22. Buy shitty product. Only way for for it to get fixed? Get MORE people to buy said shitty product.

And it's not like that, got Bamco to help FromS fix DSI AT ALL.

Only DSII. Which is a heaping pile of bull.
Heaping pile of bull? C'mon.

And yes, its something of a Catch-22, but what is consistent is that low sales wont help anything.

Well, their dev team was also publicly shamed for it and apologized for their complete and total ignorance of PC development and embarrassing failure in numerous interviews. That may have had a little something to do with their extra effort for Dark Souls 2.
And yet it still wouldnt have happened if it didnt sell well.

I'm not saying not to complain. Just that not buying is not the way to get what you want in this situation, like it or not.

BONKERS

Heaping pile of bull? C'mon.

And yes, its something of a Catch-22, but what is consistent is that low sales wont help anything.

And yet it still wouldnt have happened if it didnt sell well.

I'm not saying not to complain. Just that not buying is not the way to get what you want in this situation, like it or not.

Bull? The only reason said product remains remotely palatable on PC is because someone like Durante went out of his way to fix it for FREE for them.

Did the publisher or developer take any retroactive action to go out of their way to help users who spent their hard earned money on the game ??

No, not really. They are even still leaving GFWL in there just because they can!

Why would anyone want to buy the product though, if it's such shoddy work?

It doesn't help them 8/10 times improve said product at all. Only future products. Which leaves people feeling ripped off and taken advantage of. Not to mention leaves a poor representation of an AWESOME product in the wake that the Pub/Dev combo flat out ignore and don't do anything to fix.

This is NOT the console closed ecosystem where it's going to cost them tens of thousands of dollars just to RELEASE a patch to users, let alone costs to make any patch.

There is 360 icons. Just activate it in the menu option :p

Dice

What if I bought this and then complained that I wouldn't buy the next two in the trilogy unless they fixed their crappy port? Because that's what I did.

Have ANY of you even played Final Fantasy IV on Steam?

I'm playing FF4 on steam right now. I know it's a lazy port but it's not so bad, especially with the font mod that's available on the Steam forums.

Even with the 15fps battles, I can find enjoyment in it. It sort of has a chunky PS1 texture vibe to it that I like and is kind of charming.

FF13 on the other hand... what a huge pile of stinking shit. There's absolutely no redeeming feature about it, other than it's available for the PC on Steam.

And if you have the Asian region version like I do, there's more salt in the wound. Only the Japanese dub is available (which means some unsubtitled dialogue won't be understood) plus we only get half the content the rest of the world gets.

pottuvoi

Banned
I'd like to not be cynical too.

ALSO: I Think the blobby and thick hair/eyelash problem happens once you extend beyond 2x2 . I don't know whether 2x2 rendering , or display resolution or what.

With what i'm doing, anything over 2x2, the problem happens.

Good news is that we can do 2x2 OGSSAA+8xSGSSAA.

Which looks pretty good
Its 32xSSAA, It should look good. ;)

xBladeM6x

Worst port I've ever played. They actually managed to make it worse than Dark Souls.

Funny enough, it happens to be as bad, but with the resolution missing. The thing is, Dark Souls was locked to 720p even if you set it to 1080p. Durante fixed that game to be the best version of it on any platform and in one day, he's managed to almost do it with this game. The vanilla port is shit, but with Gedosato it's likely to become the best version, minus FMV compression, possibly allowing texture / sound mods though.

Cronox

Banned
Sub-par low resolution ultra compressed FMVs (IS BINK)

I'm a little behind on following the release, do we have any comparison pics up between PS3 and PC FMVs? This was my primary concern the whole time during pre-release, if they don't look great I'll stick with my PS3 copy.

wmlk

I'm a little behind on following the release, do we have any comparison pics up between PS3 and PC FMVs? This was my primary concern the whole time during pre-release, if they don't look great I'll stick with my PS3 copy.

Too lazy to find pics, but PS3 FMVs look a lot better.

Still, they'll get replaced in a week I bet. They're the same format I think.

ZeroX03

Banned
Those cutscene comparisons, geez.

Sleeping Dogs DE isn't looking so hot...

Despite all the hate the lazy port job is getting, I'm finding the game is quite enjoyable in it's current state. The 720p looks fine on a 24inch 1080p monitor and I'm pretty oblivious to minor framerate issues (anything above 'cinematic' 30 looks fine to me). The game certainly feels like a Final Fantasy game also, enjoying the visual style, music, and the one button fights look pretty (I'm sure the one button issue will change as I gain more abilities and actually begin to employ tactics).

I'm really glad they ported this to PC even more so at such a reasonable price. I would continue to support PC ports of this standard (functional but lacking standard pc options) if they continue to price them and ensure that the game is stable.

I tried it with GeDoSaTo. It's a little bit buggy, but it works. I made some new screenshots.
It's much prettier. Though it's a little bit buggy...

The intros and videos sometimes have problems. And the save menu is a little strange...
So I think I may play more of the game in the original resolution until the fixes are better. And use GeDoSaTo when I see a really pretty place or scene that I want to take a picture of.

Dice

For now you need the custom .dll for the menus to work. Also turning off the SMAA makes the FMVs run smoother for whatever reason.

Cronox

Banned
Some comparisons were posted in this thread:

Ah, thanks for reposting.

Too lazy to find pics, but PS3 FMVs look a lot better.

Still, they'll get replaced in a week I bet. They're the same format I think.

Oh god, this version is really going to end up a patchwork of user fixes if so. I'm getting flashbacks of FF VII PC, where you can replace cinema scenes and music with the PS1 files, among other things.

Top Bottom