• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII PC |OT| Lightning must not be forgotten

Forkball

About to start it, any tips? Also is there any way to mod this costume into the game?

FtcI5xB.jpg

aranth

Can you force AA and AF on an AMD card? If not, I'll just wait until I get the proper rig to play the game.

Yes, via the CCC or using Radeonpro. You can easily create a profile for the game executable (white_data\prog\win\bin\ffxiiiimg.exe) with forced AA and AF. Radeonpro also allows to force triple buffering or a framecap. I personally capped the game at 30 cause the drops in battle were quite annoying.

ChapaNDJ

Banned
Man I would be out of Lake Bresha by now if I wasn't take snaps every few seconds
Using Durante's mod, downsampling from 3840x2160

igA0Uvfk7qYt9.png

ibyZyp5BJqDFFq.png

iRTtNhVMzQr9y.png

It looks gorgeous, i'm really enjoying this second playthrough after 5 years.
I'm playing it with a more open mind than back then when the game wasn't what i been expecting.
I'm loving the scenery and the music.

It's a result of trying to force some AA through his drivers, he either has or is trying to figure out how to do it without that effect occuring. I'm looking forward to the "act like I'm 5" explanation to get some good AA without eyeliner cast, hehe.

Gotcha!
Man, i really hope they patch the resolution and the random FPS drop.

Yes, via the CCC or using Radeonpro. You can easily create a profile for the game executable (white_data\prog\win\bin\ffxiiiimg.exe) with forced AA and AF. Radeonpro also allows to force triple buffering or a framecap. I personally capped the game at 30 cause the drops in battle were quite annoying.

Thanks.

Gbraga

I wasn't sure if I could get used to Snow and Sazh in japanese, but I have no problems with them at all (maybe because I played the demo first), but I have no problem with any of the voices, aside from two I thought I wouldn't at all, Vanille and Hope >_>

Hope is even more annoying with the original voice, and Vanille, well, I don't hate it, but I just prefer the original, I guess.

Gbraga

Wouldn't be able to abandon English VAs, dat Fang.

I love her voice too, but I figured I should make cutscenes somewhat a new experience since I'm replaying.

But yeah, I might change back if I don't like her japanese voice. Still didn't get to her.

I want people to support this game. I really want to see more Japanese games on Steam.

I know it isn't perfect, but I think that Square Enix will learn from it. Lots of people are telling them that they want more options. And they say they're going to try to help with it.

Maybe if you don't want to support it, you could go to the Steam forums and tell them you don't want to buy it yet until they fix the resolution and some other things. But I think the game should be supported by people who like it.

The monster bloom in this game =_=

If you're using Durante, it's a bug with it's rendering. He said he'll try to get it fixed tomorrow. In the mean time, I think I'll wait to play it out... I might also force 30fps on the whole game since the 'runs at 60fps' thing only happens at in-game cutscenes for me, battles and everything else is already at 30. Damn it's annoying since my CPU never gets above 20% utilization and my GPU never above 35% even at 2.5k upscale... What the heck is going on with this game under the hood I have no clue.

bigkrev

It's a result of trying to force some AA through his drivers, he either has or is trying to figure out how to do it without that effect occuring. I'm looking forward to the "act like I'm 5" explanation to get some good AA without eyeliner cast, hehe.

"Act like i'm 5?"

I'm personally needing a "Pretend I've never seen or operated a Computer before" idiotproof guide.

Tizoc

What weapons/equipment should I upgrade and what's the best procedure?
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=132880922&postcount=616
Weapons and tips on upgrading them
Notice how some enemies drop various odd named items like ‘Sturdy Bone’, ‘Monstrous Fang’, etc.
These items are used to upgrade your weapons and armor, but here’s the thing: You don’t really have to do any upgrading until much later in the game. Note that each item offers a set amount of ‘EXP’ to the weapon or equipment you’re upgrading and each item has level cap. To exceed this level cap, you will need to use a Catalyst item. These are gotten from enemies, treasure chests and can be bought from the specific shop, however some cost a fuckton of Gil.

Granted upgrading weapons, at least, early on will give you an advantage but I personally never had issues with the weapons and equipment I had on my characters when against bosses or enemy encounters.

At any rate, the best time to bother with upgrading weapons (upgrading armor is a waste IMO since in the endgame I would use specific equipment that weren’t defensive in nature) is once you are able to purchase Superconductor & Ultracompact Reactor items from the specific shop.

Each character has 10 weapons, but I’ve found that focusing on one weapon to upgrade is cost efficient. I sadly can’t remember exactly which weapons were the ideal ones for each character atm, BUT all weapons have 3 ‘forms’- Their initial form which is when you get that weapon, and 2 more that are achieved by upgrading them using items & catalysts.

Note that each form maxes out at a set level when upgrading it, so you’ll obv. need a catalyst to further upgrade it.

I’ve used Drogan13’s guide on GameFAQs for upgrading weapons and here’s how you can upgrade each weapon to its max level along with what catalyst and items you would need to do so:

To max out initial form, you should use the following items in the following order
36 x Sturdy Bone
50 x Superconductor

Then you use 1 Scarletite to upgrade to the 2nd form. Afterwards you can use the following items in this order-
36 x Sturdy Bone
2 x Ultracompact Reactor
15 x Sturdy Bone
27 x Superconductor
…to max out the 2nd form.

Try to at least transform your weapons to their 2nd form once you have access to buying the 2 items I mentioned before (Superconductor & Ultrcompact Reactor), as then they’d give you good enough stats to do greater damage to enemies.

I should point out that you may not have enough Gil to upgrade ALL your 6 characters' main weapon. As such focus on upgrading it for at least the 3 characters you are comfortable with using in battles. In my case it was Light+Fang+Vanille. Read further on on why I prefer these, as I personally recommend utilizing those 3 from the mid game onwards

Now to reach a weapon’s final and 3rd form (note that the name of each character’s weapon’s 3rd form is the SAME, but their passive bonuses are different depending on the weapon), you will need 1 Trapezohedron as the catalyst…which FYI is a super rare and expensive item, but don’t worry about grinding for it just yet, as there’s a quick-ish-er way to get more of this item.

To max out the 3rd form, the following items are recommended
36 x Sturdy Bone
26 x Ultracompact Reactor
36 x Sturdy Bone
2 x Particle Accelerator
12 x Superconductor

I should point out that SOME weapons might require some more exp or items to be maxed out, in this case, just use up any spare upgrade items you’ve collected along the way.

You know how everyone says the game opens up by Chapter 10/11? Well that would be the ideal time to start spending Gil to upgrade your weapons, so long as the items I mentioned are available for purchase.

I'll look up what the best weapons are, at least the ones I think were good.

why not try paying attention then?

Because up to that point in the game, they don't explain shit. In that way this second play through is slightly more enjoyable just because I actually know what the god damn terms are. Seriously, FFXIII commits so many writing sins it's unbelievable. Even most anime have the decency to have a character that doesn't know what things are so that they have an in-game reason to explain them directly...

Instead FFXIII basically tells you to read their in-game glossary of terms, or be lost for 3-5 hours while you puzzle it together.

Tizoc

Oh damn I just remembered something-
STAGGER LOCK!

Each character has 1 weapon with the description Stagger Lock, try to get one for each character (you can get them from chests, but can later be bought IIRC).

Make sure you have these as they are recommended for dealing with a handful of Bosses.

Basically stagger lock will prevent enemies from entering into Stagger status BUT will fill up the gauge to at least 99%, meaning you will still do extra damage to them even when they're not staggered.

BadWolf

Probably a silly question but yesterday people mentioned to set the options in the Nvidia control panel to high performance instead of adaptive.

Is there any disadvantage to leaving it on high performance? Like will the GPU overwork itself for no good reason when doing non-gaming stuff?

kick51

Banned
Probably a silly question but yesterday people mentioned to set the options in the Nvidia control panel to high performance instead of adaptive.

Is there any disadvantage to leaving it on high performance? Like will the GPU overwork itself for no good reason when doing non-gaming stuff?

from what I understand, you should leave it at that if you're gonna be gaming with any frequency

gazzellone

Neo Member

No, that setting is game specific

kudoboi

WOW i just lost 1 hr of progress because i pressed ESC twice when trying to exit steam overlay

how the heck do you save progress in this game?

BadWolf

WOW i just lost 1 hr of progress because i pressed ESC twice when trying to exit steam overlay

how the heck do you save progress in this game?

There are save spots like in the previous FFs.

The one in XIII kind of looks like a portable computer thingy.

Top Bottom