• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward - First Expansion, Spring 2015

Teremap

Banned
They don't look nearly as good as 1.0... 2.0 has awful textures and really bad AA. You really never saw the game in max settings did you?
No, I saw it in max settings.

I also remember struggling to maintain a 60 FPS with anything resembling a decent image quality (unlike ARR, which is almost a night-and-day difference in performance from 1.0).

I DO want them to release a high-res texture pack so this little argument can finally be put to rest.

Kenai

They sounded pretty adamant about moving on and Yoshida recognized the limitations of the PS3. I recall him saying that the PS2 caused a bevy of issues for XI that he wanted to hopefully avoid. The PS4 has been selling extremely well so we can only hope that they move fast. That PS3-PS4 upgrade offer lasts till DEC so...

No way in hell they are leaving the PS3 out of this expansion. They already said as much.

And unless PS4 actually starts selling in Japan (like, plz beat the Wii U in sales there for at least a week or two level of bad) then we will be stuck with it for the expansion after too lol

This. Down with Samurai tanks, do it FFT style and make them DPS. They can make something else a tank instead.
My FFT Sams were always Tanks/Healers =p

Blade Grasp was like the ultimate physical tanking ability so I'd always put a SAM as my front man, and mostly focus on using Draw to Buff up or Heal. Especially in Genji or +MGK gear with a magick sub-ability.

Two-Hands was really their only thing remotely DPS, wasn't innate, and becomes surpassed by Two Swords and the top Great Swords.

I tried using my SAM as a DPS for a long time in a bunch of my files and I always felt it was a waste of a spot. When I accepted them more as a Tanking Red Mage with Blade Grasp and Draw, I felt the SAM came into his own much more

So actually I think it'd be cool to see the SAM in FF XIV based on the melee defense/magic ability of the FFT SAM. He could be like a Tank that tanks through parries and focuses more on healing/buffs/debuffs than DPS.

I also remember struggling to maintain a 60 FPS with anything resembling a decent image quality (unlike ARR, which is almost a night-and-day difference in performance from 1.0).

I DO want them to release a high-res texture pack so this little argument can finally be put to rest.

Can you not do it with seventhumbral?

As a downtrodden dragoon player, super happy about getting a dragoon-centric expansion that will hopefully balance out the class (it's literally the worst now) and give me more weapon and armour choices. Samurai would be cool to check out too.

I'd love them to make a time mage, I'd be all over that, but they seem to want to keep haste out of the game.

Teremap

Banned
Can you not do it with seventhumbral?
Not necessary, I still have some old shots hanging around:
Screenshot39981.png
Screenshot40323.png
Screenshot40667.png
Screenshot41483.png

So yeah, higher-resolution textures and some better environment mapping (which is partly because there's only one weather type per zone in 1.0).

Mr. RPG

Well of course it was difficult to achieve 60 fps, because the game looked that great.

1.0's textures absolutely mop the floor with that 2.0 offers.

With the DirectX 11 client, hopefully it will look as great as 1.0.

I really liked 1.0 even though most people didn't. It really had potential to become something great. If players would have actually given Tanaka a chance, we would have gotten a truly great game. I feel that Yoshi P decided to simply follow WoW as an example and modeled 2.0 after it.

Teremap

Banned
Well of course it was difficult to achieve 60 fps, because the game looked that great.
But... it really didn't. Looking "great" alone doesn't mean much if you're getting there through sheer brute force. It's completely inelegant.

Just for the record, this was a game that performed worse than freakin' Crysis at max while not looking appreciably better in any regard other than art direction.

With the DirectX 11 client, hopefully it will look as great as 1.0.
Why "as great"? Why not better? ;)

But really, if you want it to look more like 1.0 you should be hoping for them to release a high-res texture pack. New and improved shaders will make it look better as well but in a different way from 1.0.

Which, well, is how it already is. 2.0 already has better shadowing, better handling of LOD (as in it actually has LOD at all), more dynamic lighting, more dynamic weather, and so on and so forth than 1.0. It just falls short in the texture work because, yeah, it got a resolution nerf.

I really liked 1.0 even though most people didn't. It really had potential to become something great. If players would have actually given Tanaka a chance, we would have gotten a truly great game. I feel that Yoshi P decided to simply follow WoW as an example and modeled 2.0 after it.
I actually agree with you here, it's a shame how much was lost in the move to 2.0. They could have just modified a lot of the existing 1.0 landscape instead of throwing it all away, and the nerfs to various mechanics (crafting and ESPECIALLY gathering, lookin' at you) were kind of unfortunate.

Jarnet87

I didn't know they had plans to make Gold Saucer, really cool idea. Better have the theme from VII.

I wonder what the relic armor will look like for the Samurai, can't see it straying too far from the sort of classic Samurai armor look.

Zetta

I didn't know they had plans to make Gold Saucer, really cool idea. Better have the theme from VII.

Yeah the Gold Saucer is going to be great. Triple triad game, chocobo races and the basketball game from VII. I don't know about anyone else but I have a feeling I'll be stuck there for a long time. Also hell yeah to the theme from VII, its the only logical theme.

gryvan

so watching the stream, they hint about gondai wearing a batman shirt when asking about new job class

batman = dark knight = dat job class :O

Belfast

That's nonsense because that's not how language works. There being multiple heavens is irrelevant because you can only go towards one general location at a time. There are cities all over the world, but the word is still cityward, not citiesward. :p

You could be heading in a general direction towards where the heavens reside.

We also call looking at the sky, "looking towards the heavens."

It's a weird word, for sure, but not necessarily wrong.

JMDSO

Unconfirmed Member
Dark Knight confirmed.
Hopefully they're not XI DRK and can actually hit the broad side of a barn.

white-cane-portrait.jpg
Fucking lolDRK

I miss FFXI a lot sometimes. Especially the cheesy ass macros people used to make: "Cut my life into pieces. This is my {Last Resort}"

Alex

1.0 had better geometry and raw texture work.

2.0 has better art direction and variety, but it downgraded the raw detail in a lot of areas. One I rarely see mentioned is that the environments, in addition to now being zoned, are very small and narrow compared to most MMOs. This is likely due to the PS3, I'd assume. Because of this though it also runs really, really well for such a good looking game. You can max this thing out on a toaster oven despite only being dual threaded on PC.

Compared to most MMOs I feel like 14 has the least grindy feeling at end game.

When it comes to end-game, Final Fantasy XIV has two speeds.

1.) You slowly consume most of what is actively on tap and move on. Low-speed content tourism, go at things very lax and social. The game is good at this, if you want an MMO that doesn't stress you, confuse you and lets you look at pretty things and socialize you can't do much better than XIV. It's also great for beginners in most regards.

2.) Go all in, quickly hit a brick wall when you realize there's just too little to do when it comes to primary/battle content and zero customization or itemization to think about and wind up going down the rabbit hole of crafting/relics, etc that are more meaningless than decade+ old K-MMOs were.

I always recommend it to people but always with the caveat to just treat it like a Final Fantasy game. Get your month or so out of it then take a break and come back after a few updates. It's sorta vapid and Yoshida's direction is being propped up by Square's asset creation but these smorgasbord styled patches make it really encouraging to come back, consume and move on. It's very bursty for an MMO, it's interesting.

Dark Knight confirmed.
Hopefully they're not XI DRK and can actually hit the broad side of a barn.

Aw yeah, guillotine. MISS, MISS, MISS, MISS, MISS. Farming random bullshit in batallia to afford ACC rings instead of leveling.

JMDSO

Unconfirmed Member
1.0 had better geometry and raw texture work.

2.0 has better art direction and variety, but it downgraded the raw detail in a lot of areas. One I rarely see mentioned is that the environments, in addition to now being zoned, are very small and narrow compared to most MMOs. This is likely due to the PS3, I'd assume. Because of this though it also runs really, really well for such a good looking game. You can max this thing out on a toaster oven despite only being dual threaded on PC.

When it comes to end-game, Final Fantasy XIV has two speeds.

1.) You slowly consume most of what is actively on tap and move on. Low-speed content tourism, go at things very lax and social. The game is good at this, if you want an MMO that doesn't stress you, confuse you and lets you look at pretty things and socialize you can't do much better than XIV. It's also great for beginners in most regards.

2.) Go all in, quickly hit a brick wall when you realize there's just too little to do when it comes to primary/battle content and zero customization or itemization to think about and wind up going down the rabbit hole of crafting/relics, etc that are more meaningless than decade+ old K-MMOs were.

I always recommend it to people but always with the caveat to just treat it like a Final Fantasy game. Get your month or so out of it then take a break and come back after a few updates. It's sorta vapid and Yoshida's direction is being propped up by Square's asset creation but these smorgasbord styled patches make it really encouraging to come back, consume and move on. It's very bursty for an MMO, it's interesting.

Aw yeah, guillotine. MISS, MISS, MISS, MISS, MISS. Farming random bullshit in batallia to afford ACC rings instead of leveling.
You need to be in a good FC or #1 will get you left behind.

I was in a casual FC that became insta-Hardcore when Coil came out. That's literally all they did day and night.

We stopped playing for two weeks and were so far behind that we quit.

Alex

You need to be in a good FC or #1 will get you left behind.

I was in a casual FC that because insta-Hardcore when Coil came out. That's literally all they did. Day and night.

We stopped playing for two weeks and were so far behind that we quit.

It's bordering on impossible to get left behind in this game anymore, for good and for ill. There are more catch-up paths than progression paths, substats scale so poorly that BiS is pretty much irrelevant in the face of raw item level and in a game where raid tiers involve four bosses, one itemized difficulty mode and last for eight months there's no need for anyone to rush anyway.

JMDSO

Unconfirmed Member
It's bordering on impossible to get left behind in this game anymore. There are more catch-up paths than progression paths and in a game where raid tiers involve four bosses, one itemized difficulty mode and last for eight months there's no need for anyone to rush anyway.

To be fair, we quit in January so a lot might have changed. I'll admit that I haven't really kept up with it.

Taruranto

To be fair, we quit in January so a lot might have changed. I'll admit that I haven't really kept up with it.

To give you a practical example, you could come back for 2.4 and be on the same level as everyone else who played since launch in a couple of days.

Endgame exists in a bubble and every 2 patches progresses gets reseted. It's a game not meant to be played intensively.

DarkKyo

SO PUMPED about Dark Knight... Can't wait to see the AF gear.

Botanists use scythes, does this mean Dark Knights will get 2 handed sword?

DJIzana

SO PUMPED about Dark Knight... Can't wait to see the AF gear.

Botanists use scythes, does this mean Dark Knights will get 2 handed sword?

I doubt it because Samurai was teased too. Unless they make it so Great Sword is different than Katana. Also, Botanists are a non combat role.

I want my Beast Master... have my Chocobo along side another pet and go all melee. Have a mini solo party basically... would be win! :D

SkyOdin

They could just use a sword and board. Like, you know, Cecil.

Cecil's Dark Knight swords were actually katanas. They use the same sprite as Edge's katanas, rather than the sprite used for other swords. This was probably following the tradition of FFIII, where the original Dark Knights were the game's main katana-wielding job.

Of course, if you look in the code for FFIV, Dark Knight Cecil could also theoretically equip axes, just as Paladin Cecil could. You just can't get any axes that early in the game.

Hasney

Think I'll return in February and get back up to speed ready for this. Thought I would get March's big games out of the way first, but screw it, this IS the big game of March now.

Currently looking for a PS4 game to tide me over until Guilty Gear Xrd comes out this December. Is picking up this game for two-ish months and then returning in spring for Heavensward worth it?

Also, are those mechs I see in this game??

alstein

So DRK is in? More DPS to sit by the way side! Unless it's a tank, lol.

They really do need some more tanks/heal classes.

DRK sounds really nice, give me something to go for other than bard though I might have to do a magic class now.

I suspect we're getting a new crafter also.

As a downtrodden dragoon player, super happy about getting a dragoon-centric expansion that will hopefully balance out the class (it's literally the worst now) and give me more weapon and armour choices. Samurai would be cool to check out too.

I'd love them to make a time mage, I'd be all over that, but they seem to want to keep haste out of the game.
Actually, Time Mage would probably make the most sense for an Ishgard and Coerthas expansion...

Their two biggest skills seem to be fighting dragons and their dragoons, and using time and space to predict events and their 'time mages'.

To touch on the 1.0 vs ARR graphics: certain bits here and there do seem to have been downgraded in fidelity, but the art direction in the updated engine really helps mask that. It's also pretty nice being able to walk into Ul'dah without being apprehensive about whether or not the game is going to chug & crash.

My dream job would be a Blue Mage variant.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Not necessary, I still have some old shots hanging around:

So yeah, higher-resolution textures and some better environment mapping (which is partly because there's only one weather type per zone in 1.0).

don't forget the better skin and butts..miqote butts 1.0 are heaven.

if i look at those pictures..i wish i could go back.

but i like 2.0. just add better textures and fix the miqote butts.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Holy shit yeaaaaah!

Cannot wait. Looks killer.

Anyone else want the straight a straight up "Knight" in the game, ala Bravely Default? It coexisted with templar and dark knight in that game. A great sword tank would be awesome, and it would leave samurai and batman to do damage. Also Red Mage or bust.

I don't understand the trailer, did the warrior change jobs or is he just rocking anti dragon armor?

Teknoman

deep down, everybody wants DRK to be a 2 handed sword tank

...i'd play it.

Anyone else want the straight a straight up "Knight" in the game, ala Bravely Default? It coexisted with templar and dark knight in that game. A great sword tank would be awesome, and it would leave samurai and batman to do damage. Also Red Mage or bust.

I don't understand the trailer, did the warrior change jobs or is he just rocking anti dragon armor?

I wonder if he'll job change for every new expansion (even if its not a new job)? Also what about his party?

B-Dex

Changed jobs. He's wearing Dragoon AF2.

Teknoman

Currently looking for a PS4 game to tide me over until Guilty Gear Xrd comes out this December. Is picking up this game for two-ish months and then returning in spring for Heavensward worth it?

Also, are those mechs I see in this game??

Mechs as in Magitek walkers or the enemies? There are several different mech types as far as enemies go (some are ripped from XIII), but the only mechanical thing we can use so far are walkers. They dont really function any differently though.

Top Bottom