• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward - First Expansion, Spring 2015

Zetta

Ouz7KIP.jpg

The best weird ass class in 11.

I'm not going to lie, Puppetmaster would be sick to have. My hopes are for DRK,RNG and an actual THF job.

DarkKyo

Stopped playing once I hit the end-game grind (which I have no interest in), will probably go back when this comes out to experience the new areas/classes/etc.
Compared to most MMOs I feel like 14 has the least grindy feeling at end game. There are many reasons to gear up end game and many ways to do it. There are also enough story quests and cool fights/dungeons every patch to give you content to do for awhile if you are more casual about it.

Maybe they will finally add the ability to switch between PC and PS4 without having to adjust things like UI settings or armour sets manually between the two systems.

Stopped playing once I hit the end-game grind (which I have no interest in), will probably go back when this comes out to experience the new areas/classes/etc.
I just came back and the grind is muuuuuch better now. Although there still are some things that are completely ridiculous, like upgrading your relic weapon.

Rising_Hei

Compared to most MMOs I feel like 14 has the least grindy feeling at end game. There are many reasons to gear up end game and many ways to do it. There are also enough story quests and cool fights/dungeons every patch to give you content to do for awhile if you are more casual about it.

for how long have you been playing? I never felt like this but i've been playing since day 1.
I could understand that if i were new i'd think like you, because the game is wonderful for new players, not so much for those who are up to date.

3 dungeons you'll spam for 3 months, 1 primal fight (2 rehashes for 2.1 and 1 new, 1 new in the rest) and either coil (hardcore) or Crystal Tower (casual) just is not good, and it's been like that for a year. Also, the progress you make with the patchs that contain coil gets "killed" each 6 months because of more ilvl, that's like a new level cap but without the new skills.

And the things you get apart (equipment like the relic enhancements) from this isn't done with exciting content like superb fights that are hard to heal with, they basically require insane amounts of repetitive grinding and farming

danthefan

I can't really remember the details but I think there was something like 30 hours of grinding low level FATEs to upgrade a weapon? Or running half the one dungeon over and over and over for myth? Yeah not doing that. I've missed a few patches so might be worth resubbing for those.

Is the GAF guild full? Was pretty close when I was in it before.

Teremap

Banned
Man, Ishgard sure has some nice architecture.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gloW53jUBjY

for how long have you been playing? I never felt like this but i've been playing since day 1.
I could understand that if i were new i'd think like you, because the game is wonderful for new players, not so much for those who are up to date.

3 dungeons you'll spam for 3 months, 1 primal fight (2 rehashes for 2.1 and 1 new, 1 new in the rest) and either coil (hardcore) or Crystal Tower (casual) just is not good, and it's been like that for a year. Also, the progress you make with the patchs that contain coil gets "killed" each 6 months because of more ilvl, that's like a new level cap but without the new skills.

And the things you get apart (equipment like the relic enhancements) from this isn't done with exciting content like superb fights that are hard to heal with, they basically require insane amounts of repetitive grinding and farming
I personally took 2-month breaks from the game after each patch dropped since I got bored after about a month, but for whatever reason 2.3 has broken that streak for me. I am now level 50 in all the DoW classes except PLD, am leveling my first crafting class to cap, recently finished the last of my beast tribe reputation grinds, and am now working on a Nexus weapon.

One thing I find that helps me continue to enjoy the game is trying to beat my own damage records on a regular basis. Every individual run is me competing against myself, and that helps a lot. I can imagine how it would become quite boring if you had no interest in doing something like that.

Even without that, however, there's still a ridiculous amount of things to do in the game. Just leveling every class to 50 takes a pretty ridiculous amount of time (unless you twink with the crafting classes and just turn in HQ items for leves to cap).

Taruranto

How so? Also if that's the case, they could tweak it so it plays in fashion with the way xiv works.

Q: I love the blue mage job that appears in the FINAL FANTASY series. Will the blue mage job ever be implemented in FFXIV?
A: I think that blue mage is an interesting job because you can learn spells enemies, but honestly I don't think that it really fits MMORPG party settings. If anything, I think it would work solo and it would be really fun to implement it as a job where you go around and learn abilities from every monster, so I'd definitely like to try and do this, but I'm concerned when it comes to playing in a party players would put up barriers if you haven't learned certain abilities. Additionally, in the event you are able to use abilities forever once you learn them, the difficulty of learning abilities would be high, and we wouldn't be able to balance the system so it wouldn't revolve around procuring your abilities instead of equipment. This wouldn't be practical enough to fit in an MMORPG party setting and conversely if you are swapping in only certain abilities you've learned, the true image of a blue mage would diminish, so this is something that I am concerned with.

Straight from the horse mounth.
Basically the "normal" blue mage is too complex for the simple and rigid job system this FFXIV.

Though yeah, they could always remodel the job. Not like BLM and SMN are anything like their normal FF counterpart... though at that point you could argue there is no point on having a BLU if it doesn't play like a classic FF Blue Mage.

This is easily my favorite MMO out there, but personally I can only play MMOs for a couple months a year before feeling burnt out.

I think I know what I'll be doing for a couple months next spring.

Shahed

So if Main Character Trailer Guy is a DRG now does that mean the next trailer is going to have him run into an AoE and die?
As a DRG main (with a WAR 2nd class), this makes me both laugh and cry. So many of my fellow Dragoons dying all over make me ashamed to be one sometimes...

Magnus

I don't understand all the confusion about the name. Compared to Square's usual naming disasters, this one's great.

Think of it as Skyward, but instead of being pointed toward the sky, whatever it is (a sword, a character's trajectory, metaphorically speaking, etc) is bound for the Heavens.

Heavensward.

DJIzana

I really hope that, eventually, they put the Beast Master class in. I thought that would totally be my new main character. Right now, I'm planning on swapping out my tank to some DPS class. Maybe join the many new Rogue's / Ninja's or may just gear my Dragoon or Monk or start up a Summoner. Waiting to see more on new classes before anything is definitive though.

Mr. RPG

We literally knew all of this information except the level cap and the release date.

Why didn't they announce the race or new job? Ugh.

Teknoman

Straight from the horse mounth.
Basically the "normal" blue mage is too complex for the simple and rigid job system this FFXIV.

Though yeah, they could always remodel the job. Not like BLM and SMN are anything like their normal FF counterpart... though at that point you could argue there is no point on having a BLU if it doesn't play like a classic FF Blue Mage.

Well that sucks. Especially since, imo, the equip skill system worked just fine for ffxi blu. I know they want to keep it simple for casual play, but...man.

Mr. RPG

Okay didn't read this part:

"More to come at London Fanfest. Focus will be on new jobs. Oct 25th."

Please for the love of God, give me Blue Mage.

Prototype

Viera would be nice... I can imagine seeing them everywhere lol. Cat girls, rabbit girls, good times in eorzea.

Edit. Along with darn Knight, samurai would be nice to see.

Ravidrath

Beastmaster was talked about for a while, so wouldn't be surprised if we got that.

Disappointed that we'll probably never see BLU - it was the most fun I had in XI, for sure.

Rising_Hei

A bst as we knew it in FFXI looks impossible to do to me if they don't change the whole structure of the game :/

It would probably be just a kind of warrior with pets and that is -_-

DJIzana

Beastmaster was talked about for a while, so wouldn't be surprised if we got that.

Disappointed that we'll probably never see BLU - it was the most fun I had in XI, for sure.

When did they hint at Beast Master?

I kind of agree in that it would be hard for that class to become a reality in today's version of FFXIV. Hopefully they can make this work because that's the job I want to come out the most, personally.

grimmiq

Awesome! I've been wanting to get back into FFXIV but gearing up and learning all the content I've missed since I stopped playing has been a bit of a barrier so I've been waiting for a lvl cap increase. Have everything but Botany and FIshing at 50 so looks like I'll be able to start up pretty quick in the expansion.

TalonJH

Not sure if anyone has cleared it up yet here but it's 'Heavens(ward)'. They've said that in XIV lore there are multiple heavens and multiple ways to get there.

Also, the CGI trailer is pretty awesome.

Top Bottom