• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward - First Expansion, Spring 2015

Ravidrath

Love to see Red Mage in. But it wouldn't be the same with their very limited party setups.

I would be pretty delighted to see RDM not be a back-line Refresh bitch.

I think a good implementation would be something like XI's Dancer, sort of a melee Bard - DPS w/ support abilities.

studyguy

Samurai seems to have been teased during the music panel and when asked in person Soken seemed awfully coy about it. Samurai hype train is full steam.

K.Sabot

Also I hope DX11 update brings the game more in line with 1.0's quality of graphics.

Also I hope DX11 gets a release date.

wow so instead of just being a patch update, Coerthas is getting an entire expansion?

and the expansion is dedicated to dragons attacking a now fully realized Ishgard?

and the WoL Warrior becomes a Dragoon?

as a snowy-mountain-loving dragon-hunting Dragoon fanboy, this expansions sounds HYYYYYYYPE

pablito

There is a shortage of tanks, but I've never bought into samurai being the answer to that. If people have seen other MMOs with rigid XI/XIV-like role systems get a dramatic shift in tank availability, post new job hype, then drop that knowledge. But people generally don't like tanking, and I don't think a reskin will change much. You have to eliminate why people don't like tanking, eliminate the need for tanking (make everyone self sustainable), or have some other satisfaction gained from tanking.

However samurai REALLY should be a 2 branch job - tank/dps. That is the perfect way to do it, and it will literally satisfy everyone.

ReaperXL7

If the bring back samurai I real hope they keep it as a dps and don't turn it into a tank.

This. Down with Samurai tanks, do it FFT style and make them DPS. They can make something else a tank instead.

It will most likely be tank since the next two jobs in the expansion will be 1 tank and 1 healer.

There were already too many DPS classes in comparison to tanks and healers and they are adding ninjas to that bloated pool soon.

SAM will Tank and it will be glorious.

K.Sabot

1.0 had suuuuper high quality texture and IQ compared to ARR. I'm assuming decent anti-aliasing is a horror for the engine, but at least I hope they give us the option for decent aliasing.

Whelp. I've been away from XIV for a long time (just no time), but it looks like I have a general time period by which I need to come back to the game.

Hype.

Hedge

I wish I wasn't a solo player with a passionate hatred for dungeons, because I so want to get into XIV. I quite enjoyed the first 20 levels or so I played the first month of release.
I can't wait to see what race and jobs will be released. I'm hoping for some great concept art! :)

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
If anyone wants to start playing this for the first time, can you PM me and I can give you my referral code before you register? You and I will get a special item that makes leveling up easier.

Jarnet87

I always wanted to be a Samurai, one of the reasons I bought 11. Never got there of course so if it's in 14 it will be my chance lol.

DJIzana

I wish I wasn't a solo player with a passionate hatred for dungeons, because I so want to get into XIV. I quite enjoyed the first 20 levels or so I played the first month of release.
I can't wait to see what race and jobs will be released. I'm hoping for some great concept art! :)

For someone who shares the hatred, the dungeons aren't bad. They're actually pretty enjoyable. It's the raids that are bleh. I personally love FFXIV and just love it for its open world content and that kind of thing.

Curious though... Golden Saucer not teased for expansion means it's still 2.4x or 2.5 (if there is a 2.5?)

The new lands are what you should be excited about for the expansion, new classes and yeah, of course they'll expand on the world too because not everyone likes doing dungeons.

Teremap

Banned
Also I hope DX11 update brings the game more in line with 1.0's quality of graphics.

Also I hope DX11 gets a release date.
This. This. This. This.

Although I doubt it will really look as great as 1.0 did.
Some things look much better already while other areas are lacking... DX11 will make it look much better than anything 1.0 had tho :p
You've never seen 1.0 maxed out then.
Oh, please. The only thing 1.0 had over 2.0 was the texture resolution... and maaaybe some better environment mapping on the reflections.

I'd like to see 1.0 shots that look better than this:
ffxiv.exe_DX9_20141014_015136.jpg

ffxiv.exe_DX9_20141014_015254.jpg

ffxiv.exe_DX9_20141015_222823.jpg

ffxiv.exe_DX9_20141015_232851.jpg

Valnen

Oh, please. The only thing 1.0 had over 2.0 was the texture resolution... and maaaybe some better environment mapping on the reflections.

What sort of AA are you using? That IQ is so clean. It also looks like you might be using SweetFX or something. The game looks nothing like that with just default max settings.

K.Sabot

It looks like sweetfx to me, but the screens also use the wind up sun toy to set up lighting.

1.0 is a much cleaner looking game, by design (the areas are pretty barren of detail) and by technicality, and I hope they open the engine up more for 2.0 so people with decent PCs don't have to play a blurry mess of IQ all the time.

LOLCats

Banned
What's a sward?

sward
swôrd/
noun
an expanse of short grass.
FARMING
the upper layer of soil, especially when covered with grass.
Origin

Old English sweard ‘skin.’ The sense ‘upper layer of soil’ developed in late Middle English (at first in phrases such as sward of the earth ).

Riposte

Is that modded at all? There's like a filter effect that's throwing me off.

Anyway, IIRC 1.0 also had better lighting for the most part. I think more than visually, 1.0 (or 1.23, w/e) had better animations (and weight to movement). I really missed that, although they changed the game is such way where it wouldn't really work.

I would be pretty delighted to see RDM not be a back-line Refresh bitch.

I think a good implementation would be something like XI's Dancer, sort of a melee Bard - DPS w/ support abilities.

I was probably one of the few RDMs in FFXI who loved being a Refresh/Haste/Cure person, lol. I was a big fan of support classes in that game though - my mains were BRD, RDM, and PLD (more tank than support but still).

Teremap

Banned
What sort of AA are you using? That IQ is so clean. It also looks like you might be using SweetFX or something. The game looks nothing like that with just default max settings.
Is that modded at all? There's like a filter effect that's throwing me off.
I'll admit I'm kind of cheating. I explain what I did here.

So, SweetFX + 4x SGSSAA + HBAO+. Yes, this can be kind of misleading for regular players, but I do this with all my games (where it's possible). ;)

I really appreciate the game's dynamic lighting (LOADS of light sources in any given scene), the weather system, and the really strong performance even with a hundred players onscreen at once. 1.0 looked better in some areas, but the cost in terms of performance and area variety was really poor.
1.0 had better rock textures and some other minor details like that.
Note that it also made use of copy-pasted 'building blocks', and the side assets (like flower pots and the like) were using WAY more system resources than they should have been.
Anyway, IIRC 1.0 also had better lighting for the most part. I think more than visually, 1.0 (or 1.23, w/e) had better animations (and weight to movement). I really missed that, although they changed the game is such way where it wouldn't really work.
Oh, yeah, the animations! I remember now. Yes, the movement animations were way better. It's one of those things that I feel took a step back in 2.0. Their justification for getting rid of momentum ("it's in service to the gameplay") rang hollow to me, considering they could have just tuned gameplay (i.e. aoe timers) for that kind of movement.

SkyOdin

This. Down with Samurai tanks, do it FFT style and make them DPS. They can make something else a tank instead.

Kinda funny calling the FFT Samurai a DPS when it was one of that game's best tanks thanks to Bladegrasp.

I think Samurai has a very good (albeit not 100%) chance of being a tank job for a two-handed sword class. I think the ultimate intention is for every class in the game to have multiple jobs. The big thing limiting that currently is how the class/job divide is structured, and I think that is something that will change in the expansion. So I think we will see a lot of new Jobs for existing classes and new classes with multiple jobs.

So I think it is safe to assume that the class that has Samurai for one of its Jobs will also have a second Job. One is very likely to be a tank, but the other may be a DPS.

Zetta

Well if SAM is in this then it'll have to be a Tank. Not enough players are playing tank roles so this may be a solution to that. I also see DRK going into a tank direction but its w/e tbh, I just want to rock the AF lol.

Faustek

I need to start playing again...

Anyone know of any casual guild? I mean like really lax and just fun since I'll probably play just a few hours a week tops :)

studyguy

ARR looks fantastic if you take it above 1080p and unlike 1.0, when you do, it doesn't cause your system to have a heart attack. I still recall the beta forums having people getting system locks and AMD cards not working at all for 1.0.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Not sure about that but there's a GAF house on Ultros if you join the FC there.

when i played, i was a member of the Ultros GAF FC. they are the probably the biggest reason i loved the game.

what i really want is my own house to tend to, a chocobo stable to work, and places to do the various non-battle jobs.

Affordable?

lol

yeah.... i thought so :/

what a shame, as i have such fond memories of FFXIV...

Faustek

They don't look nearly as good as 1.0... 2.0 has awful textures and really bad AA. You really never saw the game in max settings did you?

Did they ever add a real settings systems? Haven't played on PC since PS4 version and then it was through the Vita(Remote Play)

Top Bottom