• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XV - A King's Tale announced

Ydelnae

The game has also been announced for some EU territories. If you pre-ordered the game on GAME (Spain), Gamestop (Italy, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Norway), you will get the game for free at release date. In NZ and Australia, the pre-order campaign is being managed by EB Games.

Both PS4 and X1 version are coming. It's a pre-order bonus on both the Limited Edition and Deluxe Edition.

Mcdohl

so theres a prequel demo, prequel anime, prequel movie, and now a prequel side scrolling brawler. And the game isnt even out.

And minigame app.

To be fair, they said it was their intention at Uncovered: to create a Universe from the get go.

The way I see it, this can end up in two ways:
1. Happy ending. SE sees a lot of profit, the universe expands, fans are happy, FF truly returns.

2. Massive money loss for SE. Spirits Within 2.0. They stop making FFs until FF7re comes out and makes the $ again.

Ydelnae

People are forgetting that creating a transmedia/crossmedia universe has been proven as a profitable business decision. Ton of IPs use this approach nowadays, it's just that we're now seeing some companies try it in the gaming industry. Let's see how it turns out before guessing it will be a massive loss of money, because other than Kingsglaive, every other piece of the XV media has been made on a seemingly tight budget that takes advantage of vertical integration and synergy.

They are really expanding the story and lore of FFXV, hope the main game doesn't pull a FFXIII in regards to information on lore requiring you to play these other games to understand the story.

i'd be more concerned that it doesn't pull a ffxiii in regards to lore being sooo uninteresting it's impossible to even care :) ...

Bluenoser

Does anyone else feel like they are milking this installment of FF a bit much?

SE is showing that they still don't fucking get it. We have been waiting over a decade for this game, and instead of just focusing on what people have been waiting for, they have a half dozen side projects going on as well.

Just make the fucking game, and start development on the next. If SE had been providing quality releases on a reasonable schedule, I would welcome this game with open arms, but as it stands now, it just makes me bitter that they are dividing their resources on projects no one is asking for.

Maybe it's just me....

SE is showing that they still don't fucking get it. We have been waiting over a decade for this game, and instead of just focusing on what people have been waiting for, they have a half dozen side projects going on as well.

Just make the fucking game, and start development on the next. If SE had been providing quality releases on a reasonable schedule, I would welcome this game with open arms, but as it stands now, it just makes me bitter that they are dividing their resources on projects no one is asking for.

Maybe it's just me....

The people making the movie, the anime, etc aren't (I would assume) the same people who might otherwise be starting on the next game. It's not an either/or scenario here. Clearly, SE wants to make this a big multimedia thing, and I can't say I blame them.

Either way, more FF stuff is always good in my book. Shame that so many of us are going to miss out on this thing due to the exclusivity.

Bluenoser

The people making the movie, the anime, etc aren't (I would assume) the same people who might otherwise be starting on the next game. It's not an either/or scenario here. Clearly, SE wants to make this a big multimedia thing, and I can't say I blame them.

Either way, more FF stuff is always good in my book. Shame that so many of us are going to miss out on this thing due to the exclusivity.

Again, normally I would agree, but SE has lost a lot of credibility in recent years that they are trying to get back now. To me, the way to do this is to let the game speak for itself. All of this extra stuff (to the pessimistic person) seems like they are trying to pad a game they are not confident in with tons of fluff. This isn't what the longtime fans want though.

EDIT: and to this being a gamestop exclusive, I think SE has definitely not come around on what it takes to be a top tier game publisher. What a ridiculous fucking move. Lock an outfit, or special item or something behind a preorder, but not a whole game. They've gone batshit crazy.

Ydelnae

Maybe it's just me....

Resources "wasted" on these side projects are not the same resources spent on console videogames. This like saying that Nintendo should stop making amiibos because they don't make enough videogames or like saying that Marvel should not make a Spiderman videogame because they should make a Spiderman 2 movie instead.

The team working at the mobile minigame and the one which made this 2D sidescroller wouldn't have been able to work on FFXVI. Visual Works, the sub company that made Kingsglaive, does not develop videogames, so they wouldn't have made XVI. The company that did the Brotherhood anime wouldn't have made XVI, because they make anime, not videogames.

If they were developing games like XV-2 or Kingdom Hearts Awaken By Miracles 3.14, which would actually use resources that could be spent on XVI, you would be right. But this business strategy isn't based on doing less "core elements" (FFXV console game is the core element of the transmedia universe), but instead, it's base on spending other resources on making that core element more successful.

Bluenoser

Resources "wasted" on these side projects are not the same resources spent on console videogames. This like saying that Nintendo should stop making amiibos because they don't make enough videogames or like saying that Marvel should not make a Spiderman videogame because they should make a Spiderman 2 movie instead.

The team working at the mobile minigame and the one which made this 2D sidescroller wouldn't have been able to work on FFXVI. Visual Works, the sub company that made Kingsglaive, does not develop videogames, so they wouldn't have made XVI. The company that did the Brotherhood anime wouldn't have made XVI, because they make anime, not videogames.

If they were developing games like XV-2 or Kingdom Hearts Awaken By Miracles 3.14, which would actually use resources that could be spent on XVI, you would be right. But this business strategy isn't based on doing less "core elements" (FFXV console game is the core element of the transmedia universe), but instead, it's base on spending other resources on making that core element more successful.

It's funny to see someone put quotes around a word you didn't use, but oh well. You make good points, but the basis of my argument is that they seem to be going "all in" with this game, and bombarding us with fluff when we just want the game. To me (just my opinion) it screams lack of confidence in their product. I really hope I'm wrong.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
People paying for the $300 Ultimate Collector's Edition from your own damn official site don't get this?

tumblr_inline_mgyedftuQm1rq9ghh.gif

Yeah... I feel for everyone forking over $300 for the Ultimate and not even getting this. That's some bullshit right there and SE knows it.

That aside, it's fascinating seeing FFXV morph into this cross-media style project. It's not surprising, considering how much is apparently riding on this game, but... yeah. Hard to believe it was ten years ago when Fabula Nova Crystallis was created to be a massive multi-media project. Man... so much potential and the end result was essentially a fart in the wind.

It's funny to see someone put quotes around a word you didn't use, but oh well. You make good points, but the basis of my argument is that they seem to be going "all in" with this game, and bombarding us with fluff when we just want the game. To me (just my opinion) it screams lack of confidence in their product. I really hope I'm wrong.

I can see this point of view.

Alternatively, all these side projects could be emblematic of confidence -- it's non-trivial and not cheap to make all this stuff, so why do it if you aren't fairly confident people are going to like the XV universe?

On the other other hand, maybe it's not really about confidence either way, but is just a marketing strategy to try and hook in a wide range of people with divergent interests in a fractured media landscape.

Cloud7

As a person who has the 300 CE pre-order, I'm beat up over this. At the same time, I chose the cheap shipping so I'm not getting this on day one anyway. I might be better off double dipping and going to Gamestop to get this so I can play FF XV on day one.

So we have (in the chronological story order...?)

Final Fantasy XV: A King’s Tale
Final Fantasy XV: Kingsglaive
Final Fantasy XV: Platinum Demo
Final Fantasy XV: Brotherhood
Final Fantasy XV
Final Fantasy XV: JusticeMonstersFive

Fucking EPIC, I love it

Yeah... I feel for everyone forking over $300 for the Ultimate and not even getting this. That's some bullshit right there and SE knows it.

That aside, it's fascinating seeing FFXV morph into this cross-media style project. It's not surprising, considering how much is apparently riding on this game, but... yeah. Hard to believe it was ten years ago when Fabula Nova Crystallis was created to be a massive multi-media project. Man... so much potential and the end result was essentially a fart in the wind.

When was FNC ever a massive multimedia project? I thought it was announced back in the day as three loosely-connected games (XIII, Versus XIII, and Agito) and nothing more.

Thabass

I have the UCE and I don't really care about getting it at launch. I'll wait for to go on sale for everyone soon after launch.

Ydelnae

Oh, yeah, I understand what you are saying. And it's basically what is happening, but not because this game is a special case. In this day and age, developing an AAA video game is a very risky business so it's normal to lack confidence that the product is going to be profitable. And not because quality, everyone knows quality =/= sales. So they resort to this business strategies in order to turn these games into less risky projects.

In my opinion, as long as the quality of the game and the side projects don't suffer, I'm okay with this transmedia approach. We'll have to find out later this year about that, but so far, every product seems promising and interesting.

TrutaS

If people who order the ultimate version don't get this, I expect a massive backlash. What a stab in the back....

Jeffrey

the art style does feel like some western indie studio did this.

Unless its developed by gamestop, why isn't it part of at least the upper collector editions?

Listonosh

I know it's scummy, but I certainly don't plan on cancelling my Amazon pre-order that has the Prime discount, so what I'm doing is pre-ordering through GameStop, picking up the game, claiming the voucher and then returning the game unopened.

If they're going to lock out people with shitty retailer exclusivity then I guess I shouldn't feel too bad doing this.

the art style does feel like some western indie studio did this.

Unless its developed by gamestop, why isn't it part of at least the upper collector editions?

The director is Marc Terada who was previously (and maybe still is?) a marketing manager for Square Enix. Still unclear who did the actual development, unless somebody knows something I don't.

Jeffrey

Is it listed anywhere if this is going to be up on psn after 30 days or something?

Is this game even available in japan?

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
Why would this be a preorder exclusive? Sucks for people who spent $300 on the Ulitmate edition - it should really be included.

Looks like I'm getting it since I preordered with ebgames.

Mcdohl

So we have (in the chronological story order...?)

Final Fantasy XV: A King’s Tale
Final Fantasy XV: Kingsglaive
Final Fantasy XV: Platinum Demo
Final Fantasy XV: Brotherhood
Final Fantasy XV
Final Fantasy XV: JusticeMonstersFive

Fucking EPIC, I love it

Kingsglaive would be after Brotherhood I believe.

Pandacon

So, you're saying this doesn't come with the $270 Ultimate Collectors Edition that I have on order from the SE site.

Interesting...

When was FNC ever a massive multimedia project? I thought it was announced back in the day as three loosely-connected games (XIII, Versus XIII, and Agito) and nothing more.

To start, the ambition for FNC was to be at least six projects:

2XTZZbl.jpg

It was multimedia because you had groundwork laid for console games, mobile phone games, etc. Don't have a direct source, but I recall either Kitase or Wada being asked back in '06 about the possibility of a film ala Advent Children being made in the FNC mythologies and the answer was "it's possible" or something along those lines.

All that went tits up with the underwhelming response to FFXIII and S-E's overall internal struggles that generation.

I don't think anyone could deny that FNC didn't live up to its very lofty ambitions as a big compilation project. It's a shame, because I actually enjoyed the idea of new mythologies being added to the pre-existing Final Fantasy mythologies. In my mind, it sounded like an interesting way to add even more depth that would loosely connect things within the series.

OmegaDL50

Kingsglaive takes place during the same time frame as FFXV apparently.

Basically the movie is about the Niflheim invasion of Insomnia / Kingdom of Lucis during the time Noctis and crew are away from the city on the way to Tenebrae for Noctis's wedding.

While it would have been a nice tie into the actual game as a large CGI cutscene, but considering file sizes, I can imagine an 1 hour long CGI cutscene would take a massive amount of space. I can see the point of it being a separate CGI movie instead.

Although my own personal issue is the VA from the game isn't the same VA from the movie for some of the same characters. So there will be an obvious disconnect with two different sounding VA's being shared for one character.

My plan for FFXV is to play Chapter 0, when Noctis leaves home with his buddies, Dad wishes him farewell or whatever.

Then watch Kingsglaive.

And resume the game at Chapter 1 when Noctis sees after effects of the invasion and reads the newspaper.

It's all about maintaining a solid continuity for me at least.

Mcdohl

To start, the ambition for FNC was to be at least six projects:

2XTZZbl.jpg

In the end 5 games that came out of it:

1. Final Fantasy XIII
2. Final Fantasy XIII-2
3. Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII
4. Final Fantasy Type-0
5. Final Fantasy Agito

The mythos behind it is actually cool, but too bad it's never actually appreciated in any of the games due to convoluted writing/storytelling.

Kingsglaive takes place during the same time frame as FFXV apparently.

It's all about maintaining a solid continuity for me at least.

Thanks guys, after waiting so long for this I'm definitely going for the full experience in the correct order.

The Kingsglaive VA issue is unfortunate and I wish we were getting Brotherhood on disc but otherwise... hyped!

Koozek

Amazon Germany has this, too, when preordering the Deluxe Edition. Maybe Standard Edition, too, don't remember.

My plan for FFXV is to play Chapter 0, when Noctis leaves home with his buddies, Dad wishes him farewell or whatever.

Then watch Kingsglaive.

And resume the game at Chapter 1 when Noctis sees after effects of the invasion and reads the newspaper.

It's all about maintaining a solid continuity for me at least

Interesting. I had been planning on consuming media as it becomes available, but could make a strong argument for doing it this way too....

Top Bottom