• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV aiming for 60FPS/1080p on PS4 Pro | UP - dated Feb 21st

mortal

Gold Member
Salute to the team!

60fps is rather commendable, never thought that would be a possibility, even with the PS4 Pro.

artsi

1080p unlocked isn't the same as 1080p60. Should be interesting to see how variable it is. Still as long as the lock to 30 option is there it's good to have.

To me 40-50fps is already a lot better than 30fps, but I have faith in their optimization efforts (looking what they did for base PS4 version).

It's good that people can always switch to 4K / 30fps if they're sensitive to frame timing.

Falk

that puzzling face
I think the more important implication here is whatever happens with the PS4Pro version, higher framerates (and resolution/performance/etc) aren't completely off the table for the game if/when it ever rereleases on future gen.

Unlike a lot of Japanese game engines.

I think a bit too far ahead, maybe.

T.O.P

Banned
I hope we can get a DF analysis before the game's release

I still need a Bloodborne and Driveclub patch before i buy a Pro, but this is a start

Lucreto

So 1080p mode will just have 60fps mode or will it have improved textures and AA as well?

Also what improvements will World of Final Fantasy have?

artsi

I think the more important implication here is whatever happens with the PS4Pro version, higher framerates aren't completely off the table for the game if/when it ever rereleases on future gen.

Yeah as in, Luminous Engine is actually a proper engine instead of just a hack :p

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
1080p with ~60fps is worth nothing to me if there are jaggies everywhere. 30fps locked on my 1080p tv it is. :D but good that they'll give us a choice. every developer should go that extra mile.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
To me 40-50fps is already a lot better than 30fps, but I have faith in their optimization efforts (looking what they did for base PS4 version).

It's good that people can always switch to 4K / 30fps if they're sensitive to frame timing.

I agree that 45ish+ is usually fine I'm more worried about it being 60fps in a field but dropping back to 30ish is high combat. It can be jarring if it's too varied. Still I actually think it's a great option to have anyway. Games like Infamous SS and FL and Tomb Raider DE did a great job with unlocked frame rates I think.

I think the more important implication here is whatever happens with the PS4Pro version, higher framerates (and resolution/performance/etc) aren't completely off the table for the game if/when it ever rereleases on future gen.

I think a bit too far ahead, maybe.

I think you're on to something actually, which also makes me wonder what the PC version will really be like when and if they work on that.

HeelPower

Framerate will likely be variable but it likely won't drop below 30.

Nothing is worse than an open world game dropping frequently to the 20s...20s in general are awful.

Great,great news.

AAMARMO

Banned
bdxRlau.gif

valkyre

lol I advise overly excited folk to just pause and realize that an unlocked framerate is far...FAR different than 60 fps.

I honestly wish I can eat crow for this, but I expect an unlocked framerate on FFXV to be ALL OVER THE PLACE.

HeelPower

lol I advise overly excited folk to just pause and realize that an unlocked framerate is far...FAR different than 60 fps.

I honestly wish I can eat crow for this, but I expect an unlocked framerate on FFXV to be ALL OVER THE PLACE.

If its like infamous ,and stays above 30 all the time,then it will be fine.

pswii60

I hope the 1080p/60fps and 4K/30fps options become a trend - then Pro satisfies both audiences, those who value framerate more, and those who value IQ more.

And for games that are already 60fps, hopefully they add a Tomb Raider style 1080p option of enhanced graphical effects (hair, smoke, textures, etc).

EDIT: Ugh.. if it's unlocked though, then I'm not interested. The judder is painfully irritating to me - I find Infamous on PS4 almost unplayable at unlocked, and keep it locked at 30fps.

valkyre

If its like infamous ,and stays above 30 all the time,then it will be fine.

Anything between 30-60 creates judder, something that I hate when gaming because when you pan the camera around there will be judder.

But ok whatever floats anyone's boat I guess.

I honestly would prefer a million times rock solid 1080p 30fps with extra bells and whistles.

I only hope that the 4K mode will be rock solid in terms of framerate.

orochi91

I'm hoping for a 1080p/30fps mode with all the eye-candy cranked up.

That mode, along with downsampling and HDR, will be more than enough for me.

Evo X

Damn, I was gonna hold out for a potential PC version, but this is great news. Will most likely pick it up in Pro now after hearing GAF impressions.

Philippo

I remember they said in the past that these are just base enhancements, while they'll take more time to truly utilize Pro's hardware. I wonder if they'll be able to get stable or even locked 60fps after a few months?

FFXV always seemed more GPU-bound than CPU-bound, so I could see it performing pretty well in 1080p on the Pro.

Could someone remind me: If you chose the locked 30/4k option when using a 1080p screen do you get supersampled 4k? Or is the only way to play in 1080p on a Pro to go for the unlocked framerate?

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
FFXV always seemed more GPU-bound than CPU-bound, so I could see it performing pretty well in 1080p on the Pro.

Could someone remind me: If you chose the locked 30/4k option when using a 1080p screen do you get supersampled 4k? Or is the only way to play in 1080p on a Pro to go for the unlocked framerate?

That exact situation might depend on the game but I imagine you can choose which mode you want from the menu so it won't matter what kind of screen you use.

The former...downsampling by default if you select 4k. You can switch between both modes.

Go_Ly_Dow

So I didn't have time to catch the livestream and literally just got home with this thing.

15045723_10154064106782503_1042077701_n.jpg

I then tune in to GAF and see this thread. So pleased with the news!

Top Bottom