• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Episode Duscae |OT| Brought to you by Coleman™

Geg

1259976042209.jpg

Xenus

I'm sorry Kagari oh lord if I had known what one little seemingly innocuous comment would do to a bunch of bored potentially drunk people.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
So I finished this yesterday and I actually liked it, but I thought there were a few issues. First, obviously, the performance is poor and does detract form the gameplay. Second, I think the camera is too loose and probably feels even looser as a result of the performance.

The environment itself is a little boring and traversal is not fun, but I imagine that's a result of having no transportation options and this being a restricted demo area. It's just kinda slow to go from one place to another.

The combat system feels surprisingly deep for a game that can ostensibly be played with two buttons. It's like the delivery of the design that Molyneux promised for Fable 2 ten years ago. I was surprised by how MANY enemies can spawn in certain encounters. Maybe I suck vis-a-vis other players (and that's probably true given I was learning), but some of the encounters in the cave felt like they went on forever.

Also, the parry timing is disappointing. I should say that it's not timing based at all. As long as you are guarding, you have this HUGE parry window. This should really be like quickly press [ ] when you see the icon pop up (and it should only pop at the last second). Right now, you basically have to not be paying attention to not parry.

So I finished this yesterday and I actually liked it, but I thought there were a few issues. First, obviously, the performance is poor and does detract form the gameplay. Second, I think the camera is too lose and probably feels even looser as a result of the performance.

The environment itself is a little boring and traversal is not fun, but I imagine that's a result of having no transportation options and this being a restricted demo area. It's just kinda slow to go from one place to another.

The combat system feels surprisingly deep for a game that can ostensibly be played with two buttons. It's like the delivery of the design that Molyneux promised for Fable 2 ten years ago. I was surprised by how MANY enemies can spawn in certain encounters. Maybe I suck vis-a-vis other players (and that's probably true given I was learning), but some of the encounters in the cave felt like they went on forever.

Also, the parry timing is disappointing. I should say that it's not timing based at all. As long as you are guarding, you have this HUGE parry window. This should really be like quickly press [ ] when you see the icon pop up (and it should only pop at the last second). Right now, you basically have to not be paying attention to not parry.

Did you mess around with Knightsgaurd? R1 right as taking damage, basically warps out of hit animation and gives you back your HP. Timing on this is quite tight, but feels real good when you get it down. Despite his unkind word to me above, I'll note that Falk has some good videos on this.

Also, parry window on the behemoth is tiny, so I think the idea is to make it easier for some enemies and harder for others. Armiger cleans out some of those 20-enemy encounters right quick, too!

wmlk

So I finished this yesterday and I actually liked it, but I thought there were a few issues. First, obviously, the performance is poor and does detract form the gameplay. Second, I think the camera is too lose and probably feels even looser as a result of the performance.

Regarding the transportation, one interesting this is that there is a Chocobo Post in the next area (Cauthess) when you use the car UI at the end of the demo. This suggests that there are probably Chocobo Posts for every region/area for Chocobo riding. I'm assuming that you have to get to each Chocobo Post before you use their Chocobos.

Xenus

So I finished this yesterday and I actually liked it, but I thought there were a few issues. First, obviously, the performance is poor and does detract form the gameplay. Second, I think the camera is too loose and probably feels even looser as a result of the performance.

Yeah I tend to miss it only with the soldiers cause their white uni's can hide the prompt at times. I do have to say putting the avenger on the ravage and just going infinate combo on the small fry sabetusks and goblins is pretty satisfying with the great sword as the finisher.

The inappropriate Kagari comments, this song....

FF is horrific. The fans. The games.

Kill this game. End our suffering with it.

I'll take Call of Duty Advanced Warfare 2. It's an easier existence.

We choose to be fans of Final Fantasy in this decade, and to do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard!

All that comment does is make me want the US to build a moonbase and go to Mars already...

Unlikely (and really, we should spend the money on asteroid defense).
But, maybe we'll get to go to the moon in XV. It's certainly been prominently featured in promotional material.

Despera

Banned
It would be even better if there is no icon pop up at all. Just make it so the player can experiment until they figure out the best timing to parry, otherwise it'll just feel like a QTE.

wmlk

It would be even better if there is no icon pop up at all. Just make it so the player can experiment until they figure out the best timing to parry, otherwise it'll just feel like a QTE.

It looks especially annoying for the Warp-strike, since you're having to do it so often.

I dunno, just a minor annoyance.

Traversal is definitely something that needs to be improved.

The sprinting time right now is too short for the distances you are crossing. They either need to extend the duration of it or just allow you to sprint at all times(which may be unreasonable due to being able to sprint in combat). Chocobos, the car, and other methods of transportation are guaranteed to be in the final game so thankfully crossing these expansive areas won't be as troublesome in most cases.

The area itself seems to be getting a lot of critique but ultimately I enjoyed it for what it was. It is extremely simplistic with it basically being a valley with a wetland at the bottom and woods on the sides. However places like the chocobo post, the goblin cave, and strangely enough the gas station all were nice little areas filled with some cool details.

In regards to combat there definitely were times when it felt like the fights were never ending, specifically during the nighttime specifically when the Imperial Soldiers could keep coming via airship over and over again. I imagine they'll fix this in the final game but the battles definitely feel like they're dragging on at times, possibly due to the enemies' high HP.

Xenus

Also Kagari made me feel old with the greater then a third of her life comment. It made me realize I was a freshman at OSU when it was announced and now I've been graduated and working for a few years already and it's still not out.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I was 18 when it was announced and I'm 27 now. I think that's right, anyway. I dunno, nothing will ever get me feeling old. I'm too attuned to all the people twice my age who laugh when anyone in my age group claims they feel old. Linear time is linear time. 27 isn't old, 35 isn't old. 18 certainly isn't old, but yeah.

I'll get back to everyone when I hit 46 or so.

I won't deny it'll feel very uniquely bizarre to finally own this game after the saga it's been through. FF through FFVII all released within the span of time since its original announcement. But with all the changes, total lulls, several years before any real progress whatsoever... it's more a curious package of non-progress over a long period of time than a genuinely glacial development cycle. This project was so incredibly backburner for so remarkably long. And then one day people started truly working on it.

Falk

that puzzling face
Look at it this way. I went from listening to Somnus over and over in Malaysia, quit my job, went to music school in Malaysia, moved to Boston, went through Berklee, graduated, and did work on the demo which was the first publicly playable slice of the game.

Xenus

I was 18 when it was announced and I'm 27 now. I think that's right, anyway. I dunno, nothing will ever get me feeling old. I'm too attuned to all the people twice my age who laugh when anyone in my age group claims they feel old. Linear time is linear time. 27 isn't old, 35 isn't old. 18 certainly isn't old, but yeah.

I'll get back to everyone when I hit 46 or so.

I won't deny it'll feel very uniquely bizarre to finally own this game after the saga it's been through. FF through FFVII all released within the span of time since its original announcement. But with all the changes, total lulls, several years before any real progress whatsoever... it's more a curious package of non-progress over a long period of time than a genuinely glacial development cycle. This project was so incredibly backburner for so remarkably long. And then one day people started truly working on it.

Look at it this way. I went from listening to Somnus over and over in Malaysia, quit my job, went to music school in Malaysia, moved to Boston, went through Berklee, graduated, and did work on the demo which was the first publicly playable slice of the game.

Lol true. I'm only 28. It and I know it hasn't been worked on at anything approaching full scale production for that long. It's just one of those things you look back on and go damn. This game started out as compromise that was FFXIII went multiplatform and just now we are able to play it. Thinking about how peoples lives have changed let alone the console world in that time.

wmlk

Lol true. I'm only 28. It and I know it hasn't been worked on at anything approaching full scale production for that long. It's just one of those things you look back on and go damn. This game started out as compromise that was FFXIII went multiplatform and just now we are able to play it. Thinking about how peoples lives have changed let alone the console world in that time.

Just looking at the world design and general art direction, you can tell that it's steeped in circa 2006 SE sensibilities where Advent Children was just recently made and was a big success for them. The whole uproar over the character designs, "fantasy based on reality" and whatnot wouldn't really be as big of an issue if the game was released around that time for SE. Now, it does feel sort of out of place and I can see why some people are bothered by it.

I just want to see something new from Square for the future of FF. This is a game conceptualized more than a decade ago by Nomura. I'm really interested in seeing what kind of direction SE would take FF if they came up with something completely original for the modern generation.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I went from living in a girlfriend's closet (yep) when this game was announced to traveling the continent by manner of Greyhound buses and Amtrak trains for four years, working full-time four years, and now working on a college degree. Phew.

Falk

that puzzling face
I just want to see something new from Square for the future of FF. This is a game conceptualized more than a decade ago by Nomura. I'm really interested in seeing what kind of direction SE would take FF if they came up with something completely original for the modern generation.

Seeing the Heavensward opening makes me really want a FFIX-style back-to-fantasy mainline single player game.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Huh, just watched that for the first time. It's a shame I don't like MMOs; I'd love to see that style return to the single-player mainline entries sometime prior to 2040.

wmlk

They look like Geese\Swan but I'm not sure I'd call it FFIX style. The landscape reminds me of FFIX but the proportions and models are far more of the FFXII realistic style.

Yeah, I wouldn't say FFIX-style (although that is what I want for the next game), but I'm only saying that the birds flying right by the window on the top of a castle-like structure for the opening is something that immediately reminded me of FFIX.

emrober5

Finally got around to finishing this the other day after I beat Type 0, and honestly...it wasn't very good.

It was fun to mess around with the new combat system, but running around a huge empty field fighting random mobs with no story is a horrible demo.

I remember the FFX demo where I played the opening sequence with Sin attacking Zanarkand. It absolutely hooked me. This? Yeah, not so much.

I have high hopes for the game but they really picked a poor section for a demo.

Played demo one and a half times. Combat is just not fun. Especially when goblins and soldiers respawn endlessly.

And hitting the same attack button with a few sprinkles of triangle is not very awesome. Am I missing something? Been playing Bloodborne and it makes FFXV feel like a flash game.

But egg in the basket is tasty.

Played demo one and a half times. Combat is just not fun. Especially when goblins and soldiers respawn endlessly.

And hitting the same attack button with a few sprinkles of triangle is not very awesome. Am I missing something? Been playing Bloodborne and it makes FFXV feel like a flash game.

But egg in the basket is tasty.

Is this a reference to Cindy's décolletage?

Re your other points, yeah, there's quite a lot of depth to the combat if you dig for it. Strategic use of cover and warp strike, the extra phantom swords confer interesting abilities, and switching weapon slots can really change up your effectiveness in different situations.

Xenus

Finally got around to finishing this the other day after I beat Type 0, and honestly...it wasn't very good.

It was fun to mess around with the new combat system, but running around a huge empty field fighting random mobs with no story is a horrible demo.

I remember the FFX demo where I played the opening sequence with Sin attacking Zanarkand. It absolutely hooked me. This? Yeah, not so much.

I have high hopes for the game but they really picked a poor section for a demo.

I actually think the opposite I like that they picked something not overly spoilery for a demo. Give me some taste f the game but don't ruin the opening 6-21 months before release. Not that it couldn't change by then anyways

Is this a reference to Cindy's décolletage?

Re your other points, yeah, there's quite a lot of depth to the combat if you dig for it. Strategic use of cover and warp strike, the extra phantom swords confer interesting abilities, and switching weapon slots can really change up your effectiveness in different situations.

Thanks. I'll try switching up weapons for the rest of my second playthrough. I really want to enjoy the demo.

Egg in the basket is the simplest meal they make at camp I think :)

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Huh, just watched that for the first time. It's a shame I don't like MMOs; I'd love to see that style return to the single-player mainline entries sometime prior to 2040.

I don't like MMOs either but FF14 is the best thing Square has come out with in years. Do yourself a favor and play it.

Thanks. I'll try switching up weapons for the rest of my second playthrough. I really want to enjoy the demo.

Egg in the basket is the simplest meal they make at camp I think :)

Ha ha, shame on me.

And yeah, get those phantom swords, too - Knightsgaurd, enhanced warp strike, and armiger are your friends.

Exentryk

Yeah, the combat system / encounter design needs work. It's not fun right now.

Falk

that puzzling face
Actually, flip that on its head. It means you have one month to beat the main storyline of ARR before Heavensward hits.

Git

Yes you can. But they are adding 50 hours more in June.
Hmmm

Hrmmm

I'm gonna go look for a benchmark or something, I don't even know if I can run that game without issues =X

Actually, flip that on its head. It means you have one month to beat the main storyline of ARR before Heavensward hits.

Git
It's the main thing stopping me actually. Because there will be another after Heavensward, and then another, and then another >.>

Not a bad thing, but I don't have the means or time to keep playing this forever.

I will get FFXIV, beat the story in one month, and then beat Heavensward every time the game has a free day or so... That will work wonderfully.

wmlk

Hmmm

Hrmmm

I'm gonna go look for a benchmark or something, I don't even know if I can run that game without issues =X

It's the main thing stopping me actually. Because there will be another after Heavensward, and then another, and then another >.>

Not a bad thing, but I don't have the means or time to keep playing this forever.

I will get FFXIV, beat the story in one month, and then beat Heavensward every time the game has a free day or so... That will work wonderfully.

There's a 14-day free trial if you wanna maximize the amount of time you can spend with the game.

There's a 14-day free trial if you wanna maximize the amount of time you can spend with the game.

I know, the one month will be only if the 14 days are not enough.

Currently downloading the benchmark. I can't wait to see my laptop crippling to run this x.x

But yeah, hopefully everything works out. I'll try to sign for more than one month if I can't complete, but idk, I don't want to spend time on an MMO right now...

Yeah, encounter and combat needs work.
The long encounters, particularly near the end of the cave. Oh my goodness that was borderline awful with how it was dragging on.

Just large mobs of enemies mobbing of you and mostly mashing attack with some spells. Not overdoing MP usage to avoid risking ending up with that annoying stasis animation.

Top Bottom