• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV needs to sell 10 million units to succeed in team's goal

Go_Ly_Dow

VersusXIIIs production budget from like 2006-2012 would have been written off a sunk cost a long time ago and absorbed somewhere in S-Es financial books

Even if some online factor the unknown costs associated with that in XV's budget, S-E themselves won't be. It shifted over to next gen and XV in its entirety around mid 2012, so the benchmarks they will have for the title are from that time frame.

That of course doesn't chang millions have been lost through the mismanagement of the project as a whole, but whatever happened before 2012 is just another sunk cost like so many other cancelled or unfinished projects.

I choose to look at Versus and XV as two different projects. Both had different aspirations/aims from a design perspective and company perspective.

tuxfool

Banned
For real?

FFXV has been in development for a decade now. Is it really comparable to other projects from EA, Ubisoft, etc?

It hasn't been in "production" for a decade. I'd say it was in preproduction/ half production all that time before they decided to turn it into XV.

Wagram

Update:

"Tabata-san mentioned that 10 million copies sold is a voluntary goal that the development team set for itself. It has nothing to do with actual sales expectations from the company, nor with profitability.

He also admitted that it’s probably an unrealistically high objective, but it has been mentioned as am indication that the team is aiming to the top with this game."

Source: http://www.famitsu.com/news/201604/01102924.html

Good news at least because 10m seems unrealistic to me as well.

Philippo

Update:

"Tabata-san mentioned that 10 million copies sold is a voluntary goal that the development team set for itself. It has nothing to do with actual sales expectations from the company, nor with profitability.

He also admitted that it’s probably an unrealistically high objective, but it has been mentioned as am indication that the team is aiming to the top with this game."

Source: http://www.famitsu.com/news/201604/01102924.html

Good news at least because 10m seems unrealistic to me as well.

My man Tabata aiming straight to the top.

giphy.gif

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
If they release a PC version and release/market that in China and SE Asia I can see them hitting their target. Anyways, I hope it does really well, even if the game probably won't stand with the top-tier FFs. Just to prove there's a viable market for big budget RPGs that do something different from the west.

Aters

DQ i have high hopes because Nintendo. I'm sure if SE were to ever not want to port FF out West hypothethically, Nintendo would publish it in some form.

So you are confident that NX will secceed?
I predict Nintendo will go third party in the next decade.

3m - JP+Asia
3m - NA
4m - PAL
I don't expect it to sell well in NA. Not 3m crazy number. Correct me if I am wrong but no previous FF has broken 3m in USA?

As for Asia, we have China which can be a pretty big market for FF and they seem to realize it. FFX|X-2 HD Remaster was one of the best selling PS4 game in China and I guess that opened SE's eye and now there focus is on China with all the deals/marketing as well. They will premiere the movie there and also localize the game for same day/date release.

Leb

I don't expect it to sell well in NA. Not 3m crazy number. Correct me if I am wrong but no previous FF has broken 3m in USA?

That's just a bizarre sentiment. I'm not sure how many Americans you've spoken to, but I've been reporting on the campaigns since before the primaries began and have been to more Trump and Cruz rallies than I can count. And the most important issue to the Republican electorate, after building the wall and preserving our religious liberties? Final Fantasy XV's troubled development cycle and concern over whether SE can deliver a product worthy of the greatest series in the history of the medium.

But, that was before FF Uncovered. Now, with the unqualified success of the conference, the overwhelmingly positive reception of Platinum, and the tremendous mindshare that FFXV enjoys among the populace, well... Bernie Sanders was right about the coming revolution, but it won't be coming on Nov. 8th -- it'll be coming on Sept. 30th and it's going to be huge.

Top Bottom