• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV - Omen Trailer

benzy

rnnsxw.gif

Mediking

Another weird thing is that the trailer is pretty much saying that Noctis would turn into a murdering psycho if it wasn't for his friends..... He's a edgelord. Another Riku.

Lynx_7

Another weird thing is that the trailer is pretty much saying that Noctis would turn into a murdering psycho if it wasn't for his friends..... He's a edgelord. Another Riku.

To be fair going on a journey alone to discover your whole country was destroyed, your father was brutally murdered, and having to be constantly on the run because your ass is being hunted down by the world's most powerful nation must take a toll on a person. Specially with nobody to help share the burden and keep you in check.
Contrast that to Riku going full Sasuke because DARKNESS.

That said, as cool as the imagery in this trailer was, it's a little hard to feel excited about it knowing none of this will actually happen in-game.

KupoNut

Wasn't that how he was portrayed back in the Versus days too? Someone who didn't really like what was going on and how he was a prince with duties to fulfill?

It seemed to me more like he's more vulnerable to being influenced by whatever that creepy dog represents.

Minamu

Is this trailer and the Kingsglaive movie seen as required viewing for understanding the backstory of the game? I know it's not released yet but still. I'm getting so confused over how to approach playing this game in a month, and what to watch beforehand. There's an anime series too?

Tyaren

What if the game have bad ending "similar to the trailer" and a good ending !!!!

As far as I remember Tabata stated somewhere there will be just one definitive ending.

Is this trailer and the Kingsglaive movie seen as required viewing for understanding the backstory of the game? I know it's not released yet but still. I'm getting so confused over how to approach playing this game in a month, and what to watch beforehand. There's an anime series too?

No, they are not required. They give you a lot more insight though. Yes, there's an anime series "Brotherhood" too and it fleshes out the characters even more. I'd give it a try since it's free and also fairly short.

DrBretto

Banned

Go ahead and watch the trailer, it's not a spoiler.

I'd defintitely recommend watching the anime (FFXV: Brotherhood) and Kingsglaive before the game, but you shouldn't need either of them. The Anime will get you caught up on the characters. The movie will get you up to date on the start of the story.

Alternatively, watch this nice little catch-me-up from Eurogamer (KG/Brotherhood spoilers)

https://youtu.be/DgTt4kV8BZY

DieH@rd

Banned

Nothing is required to understand the game, especially this trailer which shows a lot of batshit crazy stuff.

But if you can go watch Kingsglaive, it is good even as a standalone film.

Xliskin

You need to watch the movie and anime series before playing the game

As far as I remember Tabata stated somewhere there will be just one definitive ending.

so sad tho he did two endings with Type-0 , why not with FFXV :(

Mailbox

Anyone venture a guess as to whose hand is on the dog here?

mzg3836.png

And its not Noctis, we known that much since the dog is away from noct in this scene.

Ishida

Banned

mzg3836.png

And its not Noctis, we known that much since the dog is away from noct in this scene.

Evil Noctis. There's a concept of duality in that particular scene. "Normal" Noctis and Evil Noctis are both there in the scene.

Slixshot

Banned
Is it worth watching Kingsglaive before playing 15?

I know nothing about this game right now, so I don't know if it spoils things or something.

Tyaren

I know nothing about this game right now, so I don't know if it spoils things or something.

Lol, just scroll some posts up from here.
Kingsglaive doesn't spoil anything since it's events play out before/during the early hours of the game.

Falk

that puzzling face

mzg3836.png

Yeah, the cinematography there is pretty clear to me at least. Noctis, out of control, stabs Luna, then regains awareness, looks around confused for a while, dog walks away from him, turns around, reveals to be not-Pryna, Noctis comes to the realization that the deception goes all the way back to when he was driving the car and first spotted dog, dog's owner (presumably the one pulling the strings) pats dog for job well done. Noctis drops Luna's staff/spear, flashbacks to stabbing Luna, realizes what he's done.

edit: bad @ sequence

This whole "Avoid Noctis going insane" is really something we heaven't heard before. I guess they are really keeping many things a secret, which is good because people were worried that the game would feature a really simple story.

sappyday

So does that mean that there is a possibility that Chaos is in this game? Cause that would be awesome.
Theory is that the crystal that the Lucis family has is a chaos crystal. That's why Noctis whole family has all these reaper motifs to them. Also one of the main spells used from the ring is a death spell.

Also looks like Regis is speaking directly to the crystal at the end of the Omen trailer

Gbraga

Absolutely. It's made to be watched before the game, as well as the Brotherhood anime series (it's free to watch on youtube)

It's not 100% essential though, so for people who are in the "I'll watch it if I have to, but I don't really want to" position, you'll be able to get by just fine. You just won't know some details that I think are pretty cool. Especially if you followed the game since the Versus days, who doesn't want to see the Insomnia invasion?

Slixshot

Banned
Lol, just scroll some posts up from here.
Kingsglaive doesn't spoil anything since it's events play out before/during the early hours of the game.

Absolutely. It's made to be watched before the game, as well as the Brotherhood anime series (it's free to watch on youtube)

It's not 100% essential though, so for people who are in the "I'll watch it if I have to, but I don't really want to" position, you'll be able to get by just fine. You just won't know some details that I think are pretty cool. Especially if you followed the game since the Versus days, who doesn't want to see the Insomnia invasion?

Thank you for the help!

Seeing a lot of talk about how this reminds people of the Versus XIII days and how the Noctis/Stella fight has kind of come full circle got me thinking...

I wonder if Nomura and the writers planned all along that Nocits had the potential to be evil, or that whatever force controls the crystal has the power to corrupt him, and the Stella/Noctis fight was the result of Noctis falling to the power of the crystal.

It's possible they never ditched that idea and that is what we are seeing...only now it's had time to fully bake and what we see in Omen is the result. (yea, 10 years is a long ass time to bake something...how's that shit not overcooked?)

GavinUK86

Yeah watch it and Brotherhood on YouTube before playing the game. You'll know everything you need to before jumping in.

redfox088

Banned
I'm a firm believer that Sasuke uchiha was the inspiration for noctis......so yea

Koozek

Have there ever been this many folks coming in FFXV threads saying they've never played a FF before, asking where they should start with FFXV, as in these last two days? Seems like this trailer is working.

redfox088

Banned
Have there ever been this many folks coming in FFXV threads saying they've never played a FF before, asking where they should start with FFXV, as in these last two days? Seems like this trailer is working.
Marketing is half the battle in the entertainment industry...this proves it...as well as all the people who bought dead island

Joqu

Seeing a lot of talk about how this reminds people of the Versus XIII days and how the Noctis/Stella fight has kind of come full circle got me thinking...

I wonder if Nomura and the writers planned all along that Nocits had the potential to be evil, or that whatever force controls the crystal has the power to corrupt him, and the Stella/Noctis fight was the result of Noctis falling to the power of the crystal.

It's possible they never ditched that idea and that is what we are seeing...only now it's had time to fully bake and what we see in Omen is the result. (yea, 10 years is a long ass time to bake something...how's that shit not overcooked?)

Well, I'm a firm believer of Final Fantasy XV being a whole lot closer to Versus than people tend to give it credit for, so I wouldn't be surprised. I don't know how far I'd go with the crystal speculation for now, but Omen's implications are clear, and yeah, it gave me major Versus vibes.

( Which is also while I'm still interested in a whole lot of the Versus discussions, drawn-out as they might be to most people)

Noctis as a whole is quite the intriguing character to me, and I don't think he's been changed much throughout the years at all. His whole sleeping thing and its relation to the logo / the goddess, Lucian magic seemingly remaining connected to Death, "the light of expiring souls" apparently still being a thing and now this Omen trailer? We really don't know how all this stuff actually plays out in XV, they haven't exactly kept it in the spotlight, but I'm very interested to find out. And if there really isn't much to it I'll be okay with that too. :)

Top Bottom