• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV |OT| There and back again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

silva1991

I actually think this entrance to the dungeon is completely inaccessible if you fucked up (which I think I did too). The guide states that during the regular dungeon, when you face an Iron Giant and 2 of the spider women as the final battle for the quest of the dungeon, you should be able to point warp to an area above just as the final enemy falls. Then you can lower a ladder and there's a cove that leads to the sealed dungeon. But the point warp only exists in battle.

Not sure if going back can trigger another battle at that point since I haven't been back yet. If they really did make it so easily inaccessible, they better patch it :/

Holy shit it worked. Yes there is always a battle there.

Thanks.

No spoilers please but for those that beat the game, what level were you? Note I'm only on chapter 5 but I'm curious...

I think most ppl ere around level 40

I was at 70.

Baliis

Ok I have a question about Ardyn, I'm at chapter 7:

Why the hell is he helping us? And why is everybody okay with that? Shouldn't they attack him on sight, and shouldn't he take Noctis into custody?

Is this explained later? It annoys be immensely.

Is it really that hard to figure out that he has his own currently unexplained goals? Villains letting the hero go or helping them at times to further their own goals is not exactly rare in story telling.

blackflag

I rented this from Redbox yesterday and played for like an hour. I guess it's just not for me. The super simple combat especially is turning me off. I actually fell asleep twice while playing but it was late. Didn't play XIII but I've liked all of the other FF including both online games.

lt519

Platinum get, about 60 hours and I didn't need to rubberband for Survival. Could have cut it down if I just fast traveled more towards the end there.

So are treasures pretty much safe to sell? As in There won't be any I can sell for a higher price later on or that will be necessary for a side quest?

I kept one of each, just in case Cid needed them for a weapon upgrade or a side quest wanted them. On that note save rare coins/notes you can use them as EXP boosters later on. Keep in mind you can use these things with elemancy and some of them give nicer perks like tri-cast.

So are treasures pretty much safe to sell? As in There won't be any I can sell for a higher price later on or that will be necessary for a side quest?

Up until around level 30 your level really doesn't mean much. Vitality and Spirit never see great growth with level, while only Noctis sees good gains in magic (Ignis being 2nd best but still lagging behind Noctis by quite a bit). Past level 30 you see huge gains in HP and Strength until level 70 (peak growth between 40 and 60). Past 70 gains from leveling up drop off again.

Platinum get, about 60 hours and I didn't need to rubberband for Survival. Could have cut it down if I just fast traveled more towards the end there.

I kept one of each, just in case Cid needed them for a weapon upgrade or a side quest wanted them. On that note save rare coins/notes you can use them as EXP boosters later on. Keep in mind you can use these things with elemancy and some of them give nicer perks like tri-cast.

They are pretty useful for crafting magic. I wouldn't sell most of them.

Some of them used for Cid quests too.

Oh thanks, glad I asked.

Please tell me not all of these post game part 2 dungeons (the areas you need the key for) are as shitty as the first one. It would be tolerable if you had a fucking map. I feel like I missed items bc of the paths being blocked after I went through the doors..

TannerDemoz

HELP

I've just got to chapter 8. I'm level 35 but I really want to start doing some more side quests and find a decent spot to power level. Any suggestions/help?

Also, my weapons suck. I'm not using the royal weapons (unless I'm warp striking) - should I be?

Please tell me not all of these post game part 2 dungeons (the areas you need the key for) are as shitty as the first one. It would be tolerable if you had a fucking map. I feel like I missed items bc of the paths being blocked after I went through the doors..

It gets worse

Why not try the hidden dungeon for a change? Should be fun

Gbraga

They don't do anything though.

You sure? I got Prompto and Gladio's medals before even starting to explore with the chocobos, so I'm not sure if it's related, but Gladio's medal says it makes the chocobo more courageous, and I did notice that even when the battle theme starts playing, my chocobo doesn't just run away. I'll only fight if I want to and dismount, otherwise I can just continue running and get away.

But maybe that's just the default, and the medal didn't do anything. Like I said, I didn't really explore with the chocobos at all until getting the medals :p

Falk

that puzzling face
I'm PRETTY sure there was one point where I actually hit an enemy with a sword while mounted on a Chocobo, but I've never been able to replicate that so I may have just been seeing things.

HELP

I've just got to chapter 8. I'm level 35 but I really want to start doing some more side quests and find a decent spot to power level. Any suggestions/help?

Also, my weapons suck. I'm not using the royal weapons (unless I'm warp striking) - should I be?

Not sure on power leveling, but for weapons, go to Cid and upgrade the engine blade to the Ultima blade, and grab the Thunderbolt sword from the Malaman Thicket.

Adaren

I was level 41 and I did a lot of sidequests. I didn't overlevel myself cause that's no fun.

I feel like I haven't even done that many side quests (I've been actively trying to avoid them for the last several hours of playtime), and I'm already level 48. Just got to Altissa.

The XP balance in this game is absurd.

SHarris78

With regard levelling up - I'm on chapter 3, am level 21 with around 11,000 exp in the bank. Gonna do some hunts/side quests to gain more exp - do I have to make sure I bank it at a rest place (at this stage the 2.0x place at the pier) before I start the last past of chapter 3 else it'll automatically give 1.0 exp? (Think ive heard you can't carry exp between chapters).

Lol, shocked me too, was cool as fuck looking though. Go back a page before your post, I threw up a GIF of his Yoda moves.

44 for noct and everyone else was 2-3 levels behind.

Holy shit it worked. Yes there is always a battle there.

Thanks.

I think most ppl ere around level 40

I was at 70.

I was level 41 and I did a lot of sidequests. I didn't overlevel myself cause that's no fun.

I was level 40. Did a handful of side-quests, but not the bulk of them.
well fuck me lol. I'm level 50 already and only on chapter 5. I need to stop dicking around.

Adaren

With regard levelling up - I'm on chapter 3, am level 21 with around 11,000 exp in the bank. Gonna do some hunts/side quests to gain more exp - do I have to make sure I bank it at a rest place (at this stage the 2.0x place at the pier) before I start the last past of chapter 3 else it'll automatically give 1.0 exp? (Think ive heard you can't carry exp between chapters).

That's correct.

On the other hand, it's pretty much impossible to not end up overleveled, so if you think that would bother you then you might be happier taking the 1.0x XP.

Marakh101

Neo Member
Just finished, thoughts:

All in all, I think people are giving FFXV too much hate. I get that due to the development time, people expected perfection. Is it perfect? Definitely not, but it's got a great story, a really great battle system, and one of the best open worlds of any FF to date. The people saying the story-telling is shit are over-exaggerating. It has its issues, but there's portions of it told through subtle cues, that require you to think and piece the puzzle together, rather than it being blatantly spelled out for you, and there's nothing wrong with that. The story puts FFXIII's to complete shame in every aspect, and actually makes solid sense.

Now I'll probably go back and play more of the side-quests. :)

Yep seriously... I think if people think back on FFVII's and FFVIII's stories they will realize this one is way better. It's more attaching, more simple. It's just the narration that is a bit messy at time.

RDreamer

Wow, Chapter 9 was
just really anti-climactic. I know there was this huge ass battle and all that, but it just seemed terribly paced. You get to this huge ass city that they clearly spent some time on and the first person that talks to you after getting to that restaurant starts you on the really quick quest to not see the city again (as far as I know). When I got to Altissa I really thought we'd be there for a little bit. Then during the quest itself you control Noctis running toward Leviathan and fighting like only 2 battles. Why didn't they fill that out with more soldiers and make it feel a bit more substantial? Maybe have you find that bike thing and fight off soldiers while Prompto gets to you, etc. Why did your buddies get an actual objective off screen?

Then the Leviathan fight itself was a fucking weird messy joke. Both before and after Noctis goes Super Saiyan. The thing that bothers me about the summon fights so far is it seems like instead of designing it into the battle system they just said fuck it and made these awkward things that just don't work with the camera and battle system at all.

^ Best spoiler tag that.

I completed the game in 16 hours, could probably do just the story in 8-9, maybe less.

I finished at level 36 or 37 too.

So what if you overlevel, it made chapter 13 more enjoyable. Besides, the story is short and you need to be high lvl to complete the postgame stuff

Yep seriously... I think if people think back on FFVII's and FFVIII's stories they will realize this one is way better. It's more attaching, more simple. It's just the narration that is a bit messy at time.

There were so many iconic locations in those games those. I liked the fantastical elements. I hope the next FF goes crazier with its fantasy/sci fi roots. I appreciate this as a one off though in terms of setting realism.

So what if you overlevel, it made chapter 13 more enjoyable. Besides, the story is short and you need to be high lvl to complete the postgame stuff
that's how I've been looking at it. I stopped messing around when I got 100K XP in chapter 3 and doubled it at the hotel. That got my from 36 to 49 I think. I'll probably stop next time the game opens up more and do the same thing.

VIII was my first Final Fantasy back in 1999 (which I loved and is still my favorite) and I didn't play another one until 2005/2006 when I thought they would actually remake VII after seeing that trailer at E3 2005 (which was a damn tech demo nothing more). I then went ahead and beat VII and VI on PS1, but never finished IX because I didn't have disc two and wasn't interested in the setting, X because the voice acting put me off and XII just got boring overtime due to the uninteresting characters and the story. I tried XIII for a few hours and gave up on that hot mess.

That being said, XV is the first one I really enjoyed in 10 years. I did like Crisis Core in-between as well, but I don't really consider it a mainline title. I do intend to go back and play through XII next year on PS4 though, because that's one I want to give a second chance. XV has gotten me interested in Final Fantasy at least and if XVI is a progression from XV, I'm all in.

Best wishes.

LotusHD

Banned

That was my thought process as well, though I suppose I overdid it nonetheless. Was Lv91 before I beat the game, and was Lv63 during Ch. 13. Things just worked out that way. :p

Lol really? :/

It's weird bc the main dungeons have all been pretty great overall.

I mean, I can (eventually, not now) appreciate the design of the dungeon. But it was torturous for me, and went on for far too long. Most tedious thing I've had to do in the game so far, even moreso than Ch. 13. At any rate, I would not describe the dungeon as being "fun".

silva1991

I did 4 of them and they are literally the same(different enemies tho)

It gets worse

Why not try the hidden dungeon for a change? Should be fun

There are secret dungeons other than sealed dungeons?

edit:

The hidden dungeon is located
near the volcano, can only be reached by flight

Also try Steyliff Grove dungeon if you want the feels

If it's good, I'll leave it for last.

Question about stats. The attack stat is just for the weapon itself when you are using it but the strength stat affects all weapons you have equipped? Like I was trying to get a good setup going with royal weapons but like.. One adds 100str which is nice but the attack listing on Noctis is low. That's just when I use it right?

Just started Chapter 13 and I feel I've lost the plot
Who is Ardyn, exactly? What does he want? Maybe I'm not supposed to know yet?

Why did Aranea help me?

Question about stats. The attack stat is just for the weapon itself when you are using it but the strength stat affects all weapons you have equipped? Like I was trying to get a good setup going with royal weapons but like.. One adds 100str which is nice but the attack listing on Noctis is low. That's just when I use it right?

The passive bonuses from Royal arms apply as long as the weapon is in a weapon slot. You don't actually have to use it in battle to get the passives.

LotusHD

Banned
What does "Call Umbra" do at rest stop? Still don't get it and haven't tried ir

Lets you time travel back to previous points in time. Like for example, if you're in Altissia now, this is where the linear part basically begins. Umbra lets you go back in time to past Lucis or w/e, back to the open world, where you currently were before you had gotten onto the boat. Essentially, it's a fancy way of letting you teleport from and to where you currently are in the story.

Marakh101

Neo Member
VIII was my first Final Fantasy back in 1999 (which I loved and is still my favorite) and I didn't play another one until 2005/2006 when I thought they would actually remake VII after seeing that trailer at E3 2005 (which was a damn tech demo nothing more). I then went ahead and beat VII and VI on PS1, but never finished IX because I didn't have disc two and wasn't interested in the setting, X because the voice acting put me off and XII just got boring overtime due to the uninteresting characters and the story. I tried XIII for a few hours and gave up on that hot mess.

That being said, XV is the first one I really enjoyed in 10 years. I did like Crisis Core in-between as well, but I don't really consider it a mainline title. I do intend to go back and play through XII next year on PS4 though, because that's one I want to give a second chance. XV has gotten me interested in Final Fantasy at least and if XVI is a progression from XV, I'm all in.

Best wishes.

VIII was also my 1st and still my favourite. The 3 disc endings were absolutely magnificient (the Edea fight in the city, then the big battle between the 2 schools).
And the Laguna chapters were perfect in between.

In terms of story though, It kinda got messy after disc 2, and I barely knew what was going on after that. Maybe because I was 12 years old also though lol.

Just finished, thoughts:

- Huge amount of side quests + open world are a huge addition over what XIII offered, which was...a fraction of that at best. Definitely love how much time and attention they poured into that. I ended with a mix of both side quests and main story, which gives me incentive to go back and play some more.

- I feel like character development was a little all over the place, especially for characters outside the main 4.
I think people already said that Luna's story/scenes were MASSIVELY cut out of the final game, but unfortunately it leaves her character feeling like a complete stranger, someone we barely know a damn thing about (and that's even after watching Kingsglaive). She needed much more screen time, hell maybe even an entire chapter or two devoted to PLAYING her, prior to Chapter 9. I like the premise of her and her role, but it was begging for so much more.

- Speaking of Luna specifically, it was a wasted opportunity regarding the dynamic between Luna and
Ravus. They had real potential having a sister of light and a brother of dark, and some of those stories end up being really compelling...but they decide to kill off Ravus off-screen at a certain point because $budget$ I'm guessing? They should've carried out his story of redemption further, and with his heavier involvement, kept players guessing as to who the real villain would be (because Ardyn being the main villain was obvious from like chapter 5). It's like they almost TRIED to do a Fina + Ramirez story (even down to the same hair colors), but gave up on it at a certain point.

- Some chapters felt seriously rushed, or even tacked on, just to make the main story feel longer. The chapter with
the Malboro for example...why? I get that it was just there to provide another royal arms, but it was linear, boring, and didn't feel like it fit. Literally a point they probably pasted in towards the final stages of development. Also, the time-skip, why? It's never really explained WHY the crystal keeps Noct locked away for all that time. So the world could be fucked up in the meantime? If you're going to do a time-skip properly, look at OoT. Don't throw a time-skip in just because it's cool seeing the main characters look older and scruffier.

- Even though big battles are sometimes unpredictable, and 'cues' are hard as fuck to see, they still end up being fun somehow. Adding in the warp ability was probably the best aspect, because warping to an enemy and slicing the fuck out of his back is fun as hell. Some of the battles towards the end,
like Ravus, Ifrit, Ardyn, etc.
, are easily the best in the game and super fun, even though
Ardyn is complete bullshit.

- That ending
...wow. Final Fantasy has always had the legacy of one of those series that you know you want to finish to the finale to be rewarded with an awesome ending, and 15 continues that. All the cutscenes, and the CREDITS, and finishing it all off with illustrating for the player exactly what the games' logo meant all this time...damn, superb.

All in all, I think people are giving FFXV too much hate. I get that due to the development time, people expected perfection. Is it perfect? Definitely not, but it's got a great story, a really great battle system, and one of the best open worlds of any FF to date. The people saying the story-telling is shit are over-exaggerating. It has its issues, but there's portions of it told through subtle cues, that require you to think and piece the puzzle together, rather than it being blatantly spelled out for you, and there's nothing wrong with that. The story puts FFXIII's to complete shame in every aspect, and actually makes solid sense.

Now I'll probably go back and play more of the side-quests. :)

Hold on, first you said
Ardyn is one of the best battles in the game (I agree) but then you say he's bullshit. I'm confused :p

notaskwid

Thanks (and to other poster who responded).

Should have taken advantage of it but I guess I can get to where ever in post? I'm at chapter 14 right now

Speaking of chapter 14, there really needed to be a better character moment and not just "hey", "hey, been awhile", "yep, you good?" shit
you'll get it later

The passive bonuses from Royal arms apply as long as the weapon is in a weapon slot. You don't actually have to use it in battle to get the passives.

Gotcha, that's what I thought. Does anyone have any recommendations for a weapon setup? I'm currently using
Ultima blade, shield of the just, sword of the tall, and sword of the father

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom