• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV |OT| There and back again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What the hell is this (chapter 5)
Jared shit. Why do I care about him? What even happened to him? They say iris will go with his obnoxious son Talcum Powder and then iris comes with you. So what happened? They leave his orphan kid in the hotel? And prompto keeps saying all thanks to Jared! What the duck did Jared even do?

This game is weird.

What? You don't know? It's JARED! I mean, he's that old man who said a few sentences. You should feel ashamed for not mourning the loss of such a fantastic person who did stuff at some point in time. Definitely one of the most memorable characters in FF history.

notaskwid

Jared shit. Why do I care about him? What even happened to him? They say iris will go with his obnoxious son Talcum Powder and then iris comes with you. So what happened? They leave his orphan kid in the hotel? And prompto keeps saying all thanks to Jared! What the duck did Jared even do?

This game is weird.

Was dumb how it was pushed initially but (late game spoilers)
there's a particular conversation with Talcott that kind of fixes it imo

Astral

The Jared thing is only funny because of how hilariously pissed the gang gets. Wanting to get revenge and shit. It was so dark for someone the player will give no shits about. At least kill Iris or something, not this random old dude.

Coeurl > everything else

Gigantoad > most monsters

High level sabertusks do a good job against most monster types.

Thanks for the tip, it's worked pretty much spot on so far. Shame you can't bet more than 9,999 at a time, this might take a while.

Shame on you for wanting to spoil people about this great emotional moment! Shame on you.

He must never be forgotten. Even if you don't know who he is yet.

The Jared thing is only funny because of how hilariously pissed the gang gets. Wanting to get revenge and shit. It was so dark for someone the player will give no shits about. At least kill Iris or something, not this random old dude.

Is that what happened? I thought they touched the kid or something the way they show him cry and don't speak about what actually happened and I'm like "wow this game took a weird ass dark tonal shift for absolutely no reason". And even then I wasn't 100% sure wtf happened. Really stupid part of the game.

Why do people praise this games battle system so much? Has anyone done anything in battle other than spam the attack buttons while holding dodge? Then maybe deplete the link attack when that fills. Did you approach any one battle different from the others? You certainly didn't need to. Its brain dead. There isnt even any necessary preparation except upgrading weapons occasionally.

Mediking

Why do people praise this games battle system so much? Has anyone done anything in battle other than spam the attack buttons while holding dodge? Then maybe deplete the link attack when that fills. Did you approach any one battle different from the others? You certainly didn't need to. Its brain dead. There isnt even any necessary preparation except upgrading weapons occasionally.

Warp Strikes, who? Spells, who?

level1

That people continue to push this narrative is fucking ridiculous. Most high level enemy attacks can't even be phased through automatically later in the game
Not to mention, unless you're timing blink properly, attack animations do not cancel.

It's almost like there isn't a system of stats and weaknesses that promote weapon switching and loadout changes mid combat, or things like warp strikes, link attacks, and blindsides that receive bonuses depending on how you allocate your attribute points.

I won't even bother mentioning the spells or Wait Mode.

Some people get a bit defensive about that but yes I got through the entire game using Noctis' default weapon and warp-striking/circle spam and occasionally healing/Regroup. Literally, every battle and boss. The battle system is basically a lite-action game system as opposed to the more tactical previous FF games.

Some people get a bit defensive about that but yes I got through the entire game using Noctis' default weapon and warp-striking/circle spam and occasionally healing/Regroup. Literally, every battle and boss. The battle system is basically a lite-action game system as opposed to the more tactical previous FF games.
Everything you just said I can apply to the previous"Tactical" FF games. They're as tactical as you want them to be. Attack and heal was the name of the game for me in ff7

This game is weird.

You'll be ashamed of your words and deeds. Jared 4 life!

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Iris is also a weird character. You show up and she's basically like fuck me please, let's walk around this empty market

Astral

Yeah I think I'm just gonna play the game normally and once I get about a million exp, go to Altissia. Farming rare coins sucks.

Dominator

The secret dungeon was one of the hardest things I've ever done, and the end of it was so unspectacular... I feel like I wasted 5 hours for nothing.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I would be just as desperate to get fucked by Noctis

Ok I have a question about Ardyn, I'm at chapter 7:

Why the hell is he helping us? And why is everybody okay with that? Shouldn't they attack him on sight, and shouldn't he take Noctis into custody?

Is this explained later? It annoys be immensely.

Tritroid

Just finished, thoughts:

- Huge amount of side quests + open world are a huge addition over what XIII offered, which was...a fraction of that at best. Definitely love how much time and attention they poured into that. I ended with a mix of both side quests and main story, which gives me incentive to go back and play some more.

- I feel like character development was a little all over the place, especially for characters outside the main 4.
I think people already said that Luna's story/scenes were MASSIVELY cut out of the final game, but unfortunately it leaves her character feeling like a complete stranger, someone we barely know a damn thing about (and that's even after watching Kingsglaive). She needed much more screen time, hell maybe even an entire chapter or two devoted to PLAYING her, prior to Chapter 9. I like the premise of her and her role, but it was begging for so much more.

- Speaking of Luna specifically, it was a wasted opportunity regarding the dynamic between Luna and
Ravus. They had real potential having a sister of light and a brother of dark, and some of those stories end up being really compelling...but they decide to kill off Ravus off-screen at a certain point because $budget$ I'm guessing? They should've carried out his story of redemption further, and with his heavier involvement, kept players guessing as to who the real villain would be (because Ardyn being the main villain was obvious from like chapter 5). It's like they almost TRIED to do a Fina + Ramirez story (even down to the same hair colors), but gave up on it at a certain point.

- Some chapters felt seriously rushed, or even tacked on, just to make the main story feel longer. The chapter with
the Malboro for example...why? I get that it was just there to provide another royal arms, but it was linear, boring, and didn't feel like it fit. Literally a point they probably pasted in towards the final stages of development. Also, the time-skip, why? It's never really explained WHY the crystal keeps Noct locked away for all that time. So the world could be fucked up in the meantime? If you're going to do a time-skip properly, look at OoT. Don't throw a time-skip in just because it's cool seeing the main characters look older and scruffier.

- Even though big battles are sometimes unpredictable, and 'cues' are hard as fuck to see, they still end up being fun somehow. Adding in the warp ability was probably the best aspect, because warping to an enemy and slicing the fuck out of his back is fun as hell. Some of the battles towards the end,
like Ravus, Ifrit, Ardyn, etc.
, are easily the best in the game and super fun, even though
Ardyn is complete bullshit.

- That ending
...wow. Final Fantasy has always had the legacy of one of those series that you know you want to finish to the finale to be rewarded with an awesome ending, and 15 continues that. All the cutscenes, and the CREDITS, and finishing it all off with illustrating for the player exactly what the games' logo meant all this time...damn, superb.

All in all, I think people are giving FFXV too much hate. I get that due to the development time, people expected perfection. Is it perfect? Definitely not, but it's got a great story, a really great battle system, and one of the best open worlds of any FF to date. The people saying the story-telling is shit are over-exaggerating. It has its issues, but there's portions of it told through subtle cues, that require you to think and piece the puzzle together, rather than it being blatantly spelled out for you, and there's nothing wrong with that. The story puts FFXIII's to complete shame in every aspect, and actually makes solid sense.

Now I'll probably go back and play more of the side-quests. :)

Bladenic

Is the sealed dungeon in Daurell supposed to be well hidden? I can't find it at all and I searched for over an hour lol.

Noct? Surly you mean Cor. the real man in the game.

I actually think this entrance to the dungeon is completely inaccessible if you fucked up (which I think I did too). The guide states that during the regular dungeon, when you face an Iron Giant and 2 of the spider women as the final battle for the quest of the dungeon, you should be able to point warp to an area above just as the final enemy falls. Then you can lower a ladder and there's a cove that leads to the sealed dungeon. But the point warp only exists in battle.

Not sure if going back can trigger another battle at that point since I haven't been back yet. If they really did make it so easily inaccessible, they better patch it :/

ghibli99

Just finished Chapter 9. As awesome as some events were, there wasn't much backstory/build-up to establish what was really at stake. Love where the chapter takes place though, and its conclusion was pretty amazing... it gave me those "Now THIS is the Square I remember!" feelings.

Best moment in the game so far for me was the Noctis/Prompto one where they are (mild story reveal)
sitting up by the billboard at night talking about how Prompto doesn't feel like he has any skills and has problems fitting in, and Noctis comforts him.
IMO, moments like that make the bonds between these friends feel the most real they ever have in Final Fantasy.

Currently Lv. 50~51 and think I'm going to focus primarily on story quests. The sidequests have become a bit too much busywork (I just got the silver trophy for them), and the load times sometimes rival Lego City Undercover, so I hope this is an area they improve in future updates.

lt519

Oh man, that Master Tonberry contract took me by surprise.

Wasn't expecting the bastard to be jumping around like Yoda swinging that knife.

Lol, shocked me too, was cool as fuck looking though. Go back a page before your post, I threw up a GIF of his Yoda moves.

No spoilers please but for those that beat the game, what level were you? Note I'm only on chapter 5 but I'm curious...

44 for noct and everyone else was 2-3 levels behind.

Wagram

Just straight warp striked into being in a frozen invincible state. Yesterday, I ran a chocobo into a vehicle and couldn't move either. Glad most of the bugs i've experienced are easy to fix and not questlines or something.

Gbraga

Man, almost 40 hours of playtime and while just walking around in Leide I got two pieces of dialogue between Noct and Ignis about Noctis' shirt and fixing it, a nice, sweet Brotherhood reference, and just works to show their relationship as well, even if you didn't watch it.

Maybe I was just unlucky and most people got that even without spending as much time as I am, but I'm glad I got it.

Finally got to Lestallum, next time I play I'm gonna meet Iris :D

It's super obvious from late Versus XIII trailers and the first FF XV trailer that what became Kings Glaive was originally a part of the game. You've got multiple scenes from inside Insomnia that match a LOT of what happens in Kings Glaive, only now obviously happening with Nox instead of Noctis and crew.

Probably around the time they were switching over to PS4, they realized they were going to have to throw out everything they had already done and knew completely remaking an area that you'd only visit once with a huge amount of spectacle and work in it would be pretty inefficient.

"If we're going to make a huge environment that's just a linear corridor full of spectacle, why not just go all out and make it a movie?"

Oh yeah, I don't mean the overall events are filler, but it's told through the eyes of filler characters from a filler part of the world focusing on their filler problems. If it was still part of the game, even without the playable bits and escaping from the city, just as cutscenes showing what's happening there while the bros are on their roadtrip to Altissia, you wouldn't need any of the Kingsglaive, and you could cut most of the movie.

It wouldn't be 2 hours of cutscenes, it would be like 20 minutes at most, and it didn't have to happen all at once.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom