• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV SIGGRAPH 2016 Tech Talk and Presentations

DeSolos

Wow! You can clearly see everything really is coming together in these clips.

The Real Time Live presentation seems like the newest build of the bunch. Some things that popped out to me:

• Garula animation is extremely polished. Much more physics based and dynamic. Makes Duscae's Garula's look last gen animation wise.
  • Distant trees look great, foliage draw distance is improved,
  • Ambient occlusion on grass(I'm assuming this is the Analytical AO Remi talked about Yesterday) helps scenes that would otherwise look very flat look a lot more dynamic and 3D.

Particularly on the AO front. Look at the battle footage against the griffin-like creature in the China Joy footage as compared to the Real Time Live footage. Both show off day time in the Duscae region, but the Real Time Live footage shows how much AO adds to an otherwise dull scene.

Ran rp

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

*Will update later with today's environment presentation

love the lighting here.

Adamantoise isn't doing anything for me. It's a giant ugly rock that probably won't be fun to fight :p

Shit, Adamantoise is freaking huge. I wonder if there's a secret dungeon on his back. Can't see how we will be able to beat it, Noctis is like an ant lol.

This would be cool, though.

Koozek

Too bad tech like this does not really fit the series and suffers serious performance issues on consoles.

nDtyPnZ.gif

The Real Time Live presentation seems like the newest build of the bunch. Some things that popped out to me:

• Garula animation is extremely polished. Much more physics based and dynamic. Makes Duscae's Garula's look last gen animation wise.
  • Ambient occlusion on grass(I'm assuming this is the Analytical AO Remi talked about Yesterday) helps scenes that would otherwise look very flat look a lot more dynamic and 3D.

Particularly on the AO front. Look at the battle footage against the griffin-like creature in the China Joy footage as compared to the Real Time Live footage. Both show off day time in the Duscae region, but the Real Time Live footage shows how much AO adds to an otherwise dull scene.

Noticed that, too, instantly! Looked great.

Us2bW3A.gif

wmlk

CaRwiTm.gif

Everything about this is perfect. The design, the composition, the light rays coming in around Leviathan's silhouette. So good.

Famassu

Too bad tech like this does not really fit the series and suffers serious performance issues on consoles.
Almost locked 30fps on both platforms is "Serious performance issues"?

And what about this doesn't fit "the series"? This engine that can push bustling cities that will be ravaged by Leviathan, giant monsters that have eyes bigger than the main character, environmental destruction, flying car you can take high up into the sky and all kinds of flashy VFX is not fit for FF? Lol, dear god you negative nancies are grasping at straws when it comes to criticizing FFXV.

Koozek

[had to convert the GIF to 20fps, the original footage was perfectly smooth]

https://youtu.be/T6UWUy4nto0?t=26m40s
Us2bW3A.gif

Philippo

The problem is, no matter how amazing the animations are (the best together with UC4), the input lag during combat ruins everything.

Mifec

And what about this doesn't fit "the series"? This engine that can push bustling cities that will be ravaged by Leviathan, giant monsters that have eyes bigger than the main character, environmental destruction, flying car you can take high up into the sky and all kinds of flashy VFX is not fit for FF? Lol, dear god you negative nancies are grasping at straws when it comes to criticizing FFXV.

Until the game is out I wouldn't trust any cut out slices specifically touched up for E3, just common sense.

But yeah idk what he means by "doesn't fit the series"

Oh cool! Noctis gets a garula tusk when he breaks the actual tusk in this. Does that mean we can glean extra rewards or rare loot by breaking the appropriate body part on monsters now?

Yeah, there's footage of Noctis breaking a Rhino's horn. During the wait mode video you can see different target points of monsters and hitting a monster from the back scores you bonus dmg.

Badoink

Banned
You're already getting it in 1080. I'm looking forward to playing it in 1440p, however. Hopefully with some decent draw distance, higher res textures and AA like in the recent bullshots.

1080p is confirmed? I thought it was dynamic scaling on consoles.

benzy

What do you use for making GIFs, btw? I usually use Instagiffer, but for that Garuda GIF I needed something that I could import local videos from my drive because the whole YouTube video was too long for Instagiffer.

I used instagiffer. Download the videos from youtube then import to instagif.

Koozek

I used instagiffer. Download the videos from youtube then import to instagif.
Loool, I never knew you could click on "Load Video" when it's empty to load local files. Thought you could only load from YouTube. Thanks, mate!

EDIT: Just installed the newest version and now it says "Click 'Load Video' to browse for a file" above the icon :D

Ray Down

Banned
Guys, FFXV will have a patch for when Neo launches.

Its a requirement that late September games have a patch.

Oh cool! Noctis gets a garula tusk when he breaks the actual tusk in this. Does that mean we can glean extra rewards or rare loot by breaking the appropriate body part on monsters now?

Most likely which would be pretty cool.

DeSolos

Guys, FFXV will have a patch for when Neo launches.

Its a requirement that late September games have a patch.

I'm 100% positive that clause was put in there SPECIFICALLY for FFXV. Cause seriously what other major big budget title that could take advantage of the Neo is releasing in "Late September".

I'm really looking forward to this game, it's going to be amazing!

All of the tech in the game is amazing, I'm really looking forward to a PC version of FFXV and being able to play it at 1080p 60+ fps.

In the meantime I'll be playing it on console

Arkeband

Banned

To be fair, the biggest contributors to raising the framerate seems to be lowering graphical options (draw distance, foliage density, poorer AA/shadows). The comparisons to Duscae occur every batch of screenshots and they're either filed into the category of "looks worse" or "obviously from a PC dev environment". Basically everything shown here is from a version we are not getting in September. It's as good as a "what if". There's no knowing whether Neo will make up the difference, either.

There's no magically making it run and look better at the same time, it's how to make it run better and minimize the amount it looks worse.

I already felt bad enough for the animals as it is, I don't know how to feel about the game having an ivory hunting mechanic.

I'm right there with you. I'm already feeling pre-guilt for taking on adamantoise. What is he, like 10,000 years old? And I'm going to take him out just for a rare weapon crafting material or something?

Loving all this new footage though.

Top Bottom