• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV SIGGRAPH 2016 Tech Talk and Presentations

giphy.gif
sogood.gif

I would like to see Prompto dance at some night club in game :D

Philippo

Yeah - it looks cool.
Do we have any idea of how many magic spells are in the game, are we expecting all the FF staples (haste, bio etc)

There should be only 3 types of elemental spells (Fire, Blizzard and Thunder) that are customizable, as you can add stronger damage, healing effects and maybe others (buffs/debuffs?).

Then there is Royal Magic that is exclusive to Noctis and it comes from his ring, but we don't know anything else, although (KINGSGLAIVE SPOILERS)
we can see in the movie a character using a barrier (Protect?) while wearing it.

chozen

episode Duscae style Armiger is back
160728123130991.gif

Wheres the full vid it seems they also changed the weapon order in which you obtain them cause now I see the halberd and the shuriken.

Also so far, I feel armiger has no use. Like it doesn't feel like KH forms. All you really get is that one attack and the swords flying

Tyaren

I need to see some fantastical areas soon...the places they've shown off so far are very bland and underwhelming.

You very likely won't see them until you play the game. ;) They need to keep some regions and cities under wraps. By their estimation over 50% of the game world hasn't been shown to the public yet and to be perfectly honest I want it to stay that way...even though Duscae and the desert get a bit boring. It will be worth it in the end though and it is just 8 more weeks.

u_neek

You very likely won't see them until you play the game. ;) They need to keep some regions and cities under wraps. By their estimation over 50% of the game world hasn't been shown to the public yet and to be perfectly honest I want it to stay that way...even though Duscae and the desert get a bit boring. It will be worth it in the end though and it is just 8 more weeks.
Yes, please let the rest of the game's locations be a surprise SE! I'm already loving what I'm seeing.

Wheres the full vid it seems they also changed the weapon order in which you obtain them cause now I see the halberd and the shuriken.

Also so far, I feel armiger has no use. Like it doesn't feel like KH forms. All you really get is that one attack and the swords flying
Nothing was ever set and stone in weapon order, they always show shit as placements. Why should Armiger feel like forms, this is a much more stat heavy ARPG so u can't expect that to play the same.

We don't know what abilities come with the rest of the swords that may or may not add to the armiger. However if u base it off duscae then remember u get time limited MP usage in armiger, as well as all the attacks that come with it

Philippo

Well iirc you get a special move for every Phantom Weapon you collect, and there's 13 of them, i'm sure by endgame it will be pretty crazy what you can do with Armiger.

chozen

Nothing was ever set and stone in weapon order, they always show shit as placements. Why should Armiger feel like forms, this is a much more stat heavy ARPG so u can't expect that to play the same.

We don't know what abilities come with the rest of the swords that may or may not add to the armiger. However if u base it off duscae then remember u get time limited MP usage in armiger, as well as all the attacks that come with it

I think the Shuriken was changed from Phantom Weapon 5 to 4 since platinum.

"Stat heavy" RPG? Don't use that to protect the fact armiger feels useless and not that different at all.

I'm pretty sure we don't know the full extent of the form but as of right now it's extremely underwhelming and pretty much useless as of the plat demo,

I've played a good 20 hours + trying to figure out what it's capable of, and tbh you are better off in the neutral state after everything I've learned and tried.

It IS literally L1+R1 then Hold O.

Well iirc you get a special move for every Phantom Weapon you collect, and there's 13 of them, i'm sure by endgame it will be pretty crazy what you can do with Armiger.

You are talking about the passive for neutral state, I'm talking about being in the form it self. I wanna see more movesets or new skills only available in that mode. Right now Noctis just spazzes out.

Dark_castle

Problem with Armiger is that it makes Noctis extremely difficult to control. His movement becomes way too sensitive and finicky, making it hard to manoeuvre, aim certain targets and so on. So it basically becomes a messy mashfest rather than something more meaningful and tactical.

Philippo

You are talking about the passive for neutral state, I'm talking about being in the form it self. I wanna see more movesets or new skills only available in that mode. Right now Noctis just spazzes out.

I'm sure we'll get more than just passive/defensive/Press O for Awesome moves.

chozen

I hope this scene (also from the first Versus trailer) is still in the game. It seems like it could take place after Noctis returned to Insomnia and took back the throne, when he's all OP and kicking ass.

https://youtu.be/LBilT83Uq4A?t=26s

I can see them doing the scene frame for frame, Imagine those people on the floor are the rest of the crew, and they get the camera shots right in game, it automatically activates armiger and then puts the gameplay in your hands.

However, Noctis will no longer look like that at the end of the game.

Also on a side note the biggest downer about that NA Boxart other than the Logo missing is.. Why is Noctis not wielding the Engine sword? Wayyy more iconic after all these years than his Dads sword which looks pretty bland.

I think the Shuriken was changed from Phantom Weapon 5 to 4 since platinum.

"Stat heavy" RPG? Don't use that to protect the fact armiger feels useless and not that different at all.

I'm pretty sure we don't know the full extent of the form but as of right now it's extremely underwhelming and pretty much useless as of the plat demo,

I've played a good 20 hours + trying to figure out what it's capable of, and tbh you are better off in the neutral state after everything I've learned and tried.

It IS literally L1+R1 then Hold O.

The stat heavy rpg comment was in relation to kh. You are making comments about armiger being a waste, when in fact the only things we have seen thus far of this game using armiger are vertical slices of the game. Baffles my mind how anyone can continue to think to reference platinum demo as if that will have any relation to the final game where u are gaining actual abilities in relation to lvling and questing.

They've shown that they are waiting for us to play the game to actually see what's in XV and not spoil us so yea u can comment on it but it's pointless to me bc we simply just don't know yet. I honestly wish I thought a bit like u tho so my expectations would get absolutely crushed

chozen

The stat heavy rpg comment was in relation to kh. You are making comments about armiger being a waste, when in fact the only things we have seen thus far of this game using armiger are vertical slices of the game. Baffles my mind how anyone can continue to think to reference platinum demo as if that will have any relation to the final game where u are gaining actual abilities in relation to lvling and questing.

They've shown that they are waiting for us to play the game to actually see what's in XV and not spoil us so yea u can comment on it but it's pointless to me bc we simply just don't know yet. I honestly wish I thought a bit like u tho so my expectations would get absolutely crushed

"I'm pretty sure we don't know the full extent of the form"
"as of right now it's extremely underwhelming and pretty much useless as of the plat demo"

As if that wasn't enough to hint that I know this isn't final but as I said RIGHT NOW now it feels bad and I haven't seen much on it either.
It would baffle my mind too if anyone thought the demo was the representation of the final game. In that new footage it looks no different from duscae aside from some visual touch ups.

I have always been expecting big things from this game.

oimori

Also on a side note the biggest downer about that NA Boxart other than the Logo missing is.. Why is Noctis not wielding the Engine sword? Wayyy more iconic after all these years than his Dads sword which looks pretty bland.

at least, Engine sword is in the final game.
and you will have special feeling about dads sword after watching kingsglaive, so don't worry about its blandness.

chozen

at least, Engine sword is in the final game.
and you will have special feeling about dads sword after watching kingsglaive, so don't worry about its blandness.

Even if I know there is story behind it this will always look superior, in fact I wish the engine sword had a story behind it.

commission_ff13vs_noctis_sword_by_arzeroth-d5rzkjt.jpg

1655.jpg

"I'm pretty sure we don't know the full extent of the form"
"as of right now it's extremely underwhelming and pretty much useless as of the plat demo"

As if that wasn't enough to hint that I know this isn't final but as I said RIGHT NOW now it feels bad and I haven't seen much on it either.
It would baffle my mind too if anyone thought the demo was the representation of the final game. In that new footage it looks no different from duscae aside from some visual touch ups.

I have always been expecting big things from this game.
U spent 20 hours on a mechanic looking for something that u already know is irrelevant as it is just a demo. That doesn't make sense to me but that's just my opinion. They aren't showing us anything cooler about it bc it's a surprise

chozen

I won't panic just yet I mean we were able to do this

Those are just the basic attacks we already had cycling with a few swords flying outward you have no control over.

Like i'm not bashing this game you clearly know i'm hyped.

Flashy, but mechanically uninteresting so far.

Meanwhile a form in KH2 gives a completely different moveset and two keyblades,
and the animations in all three forms were VERY distinct and felt very different as well.

all I can do now is hoping you will like dad's sword in the end.

I hope so too, you've seen the movie?

Those are just the basic attacks we already had cycling with a few swords flying outward you have no control over.

Like i'm not bashing this game you clearly know i'm hyped.

Flashy, but mechanically uninteresting so far.

Meanwhile a form in KH2 gives a completely different moveset and two keyblades,
and the animations in all three forms were VERY distinct and felt very different as well.

I hope so too, you've seen the movie?
So the final form in kh

NullKaze

Meanwhile a form in KH2 gives a completely different moveset and two keyblades, and the animations in all three forms were VERY distinct and felt very different as well.
And don't forget magic was very different in each Form as well. Demyx Data practically requires Wisdom Fire because of its auto-tracking, Master Thunder launches and combos nearly indefinitely, Final Magnet pulls enemies in and spits them out almost instantly, etc.

Mobility was very different in each Form, abilities were very different (Limit could Guard and Zantestuken counter, Valor could trigger a finisher instantly, etc.) and so much more. KH2 was just very well thought out.

Armiger needs something to really differentiate it. The unlimited MP techniques was actually a useful 'effect' of Armiger, yet the lack of techniques in the newer builds makes it useless other than as a flashy way of dealing damage. You aren't even fully invincible in it, so you can't use it to give you i-frames to dodge huge enemy attacks.

chozen

So the final form in kh
Not at all. Just stop.

bhg95mb.png

Here's everything final form does if you have ever played KH.

-When in Final Form, Sora constantly hovers above the ground
-The Keyblades will strike when Sora jumps or glides as well
-Fire - Sora covers himself with a huge twister of flames with fireballs. In addition, he can ram himself to the enemy while surrounded in flames.
-Blizzard - Sora shoots two ice blocks from his Keyblades; as the finishing move, he will shoot a barrage of ice blocks. However while performing the finishing move, he will be pushed backwards.
-Thunder - Sora summons multiple lightning bolts; as the finisher, he will summon even more powerful lightning bolts in wide area with greater damage.
-Reflect - When Sora uses Reflect, his Keyblades spin around him, damaging nearby enemies; the Keyblades spin in a wider range as Sora performs reflect repeatedly.
-Magnet - The magnet orb hits all sucked enemies multiple times and with greater damage than usual, often resulting instant kill to weaker enemies, however, the length of time the orb remains is shorter in the form.

Armiger right now has no depth or any type of mechanic or seperate moveset of it's own.
It reuses the same animation as normal attacks
I'm not saying it won't improve but today it looks the same as of that new footage.

nOoblet16

I think this game has the most extensive use of GPU particles out of any game out there so far...including Infamous Second Son. It also has the most realistic running and walking animation imo, in fact all the animations in this game appear top notch.

And it's amazing it does so while doing so many other things.

Listen KH2 is awesome. One of my most memorable ARPGS. But I really don't feel like it's fair to compare the 2 so heavily from a gameplay perspective. They are achieving seperate goals.

Instanced semi-sectioned open world vs open world. RPG lite vs Stat heavy. Reaction commands vs QTE lite. Team combat non-interactivity vs Team combat interactivity. Like you guys see what I'm saying? They are similar to a degree ofc, but they are chasing different ideas

Not at all. Just stop.

bhg95mb.png

Here's everything final form does if you have ever played KH.

-When in Final Form, Sora constantly hovers above the ground
-The Keyblades will strike when Sora jumps or glides as well
-Fire - Sora covers himself with a huge twister of flames with fireballs. In addition, he can ram himself to the enemy while surrounded in flames.
-Blizzard - Sora shoots two ice blocks from his Keyblades; as the finishing move, he will shoot a barrage of ice blocks. However while performing the finishing move, he will be pushed backwards.
-Thunder - Sora summons multiple lightning bolts; as the finisher, he will summon even more powerful lightning bolts in wide area with greater damage.
-Reflect - When Sora uses Reflect, his Keyblades spin around him, damaging nearby enemies; the Keyblades spin in a wider range as Sora performs reflect repeatedly.
-Magnet - The magnet orb hits all sucked enemies multiple times and with greater damage than usual, often resulting instant kill to weaker enemies, however, the length of time the orb remains is shorter in the form.

Armiger right now has no depth or any type of mechanic or seperate moveset of it's own.
It reuses the same animation as normal attacks
I'm not saying it won't improve but today it looks the same as of that new footage.
You said it was basic combo animations with swords that you can't control floating around you so I said so final form. I don't need an explanation what final form does, I've played it, I've platinumed it. Point is final form is finished,kh2 is finished so the comparison like mine was pointless

How many different animations does Sora have with different weapons outside of drive forms? Armiger and drives are two completely different mechanics

In Duscae, each new phantom weapon adds abilities to armiger or warp-related abilities to regular battle. With 13 phantom weapons, armiger could get pretty deep/loaded/OP by end game I'd imagine.

chozen

You said it was basic combo animations with swords that you can't control floating around you so I said so final form. I don't need an explanation what final form does, I've played it, I've platinumed it. Point is final form is finished,kh2 is finished so the comparison like mine was pointless

How many different animations does Sora have with different weapons outside of drive forms? Armiger and drives are two completely different mechanics

But final form isn't the same basic combo animations lol.
Sora has many completely different animations with all the 6 forms, even if he has 1 weapon. They all felt satisfying even anti-form as limiting as that form was.
Forms in Action games are forms in Action games, so yes I would make that comparison, and so far the armiger which is a form, is very underwhelming, unsatisfying, uninteresting, and would rather play without it right now.
I know "we haven't seen everything" but come on even valor form was good right out of the gate.

In Duscae, each new phantom weapon adds abilities to armiger or warp-related abilities to regular battle. With 13 phantom weapons, armiger could get pretty deep/loaded/OP by end game I'd imagine.

Each new phantom weapon just made more weapons fly out, that didn't change the gameplay at all. When you get 4 in Duscae you just get 1 ability for Armiger which is basically an upgraded warp strike,
Passives you get on normal Noctis are better than the form it self, and you have better control of him too.

oimori

from what we can see in-game now however, it is true that current Armiger state lacks incentive to use it frequently DPS aside.

but there is a move so called "Phantom Ability" according to progress report(Ghosting is English name but in Japanese it is Phantom Ability)
this kind of special moves will enhance the use of Armiger I hope
EquatorialConfusedAmphibian.gif

Chozen really set to ride into the sun about the difference between a demo that is intentionally deceiving in hiding the full mechanics and a finished product of almost 10yrs

But final form isn't the same basic combo animations lol.
Sora has many completely different animations with all the 6 forms, even if he has 1 weapon. They all felt satisfying even anti-form as limiting as that form was.
Forms in Action games are forms in Action games, so yes I would make that comparison, and so far the armiger which is a form, is very underwhelming, unsatisfying, uninteresting, and would rather play without it right now.
I know "we haven't seen everything" but come on even valor form was good right out of the gate.

Each new phantom weapon just made more weapons fly out, that didn't change the gameplay at all. When you get 4 in Duscae you just get 1 ability for Armiger which is basically an upgraded warp strike,
Passives you get on normal Noctis are better than the form it self, and you have better control of him too.

That's not true. One adds block projectiles to regular guard, and another adds the slick damage recovery move, both of which are active. Armiger warp strike makes three new actively deployed abilities in the demo alone.

But true, with the four blades in Duscae it's still pretty limited. I'm just saying think about what's going to be added by the other 9+ in the full game.

Edit, and actually I seem to recall that one of them also adds the ability to chain warp strikes in armiger mode, unless that's available from the start.

xion4360

from what we can see in-game now however, it is true that current Armiger state lacks incentive to use it frequently.

but there are move so called "Phantom Ability" according to progress report(Ghosting is English name but in Japanese it is Phantom Ability)
this kind of special moves will enhance the use of Armiger I hope
EquatorialConfusedAmphibian.gif

That looks similar to what Noct does with Ignis' mark ability.

Philippo

I'm also curious about the other party members abilities, up until now they've all been pretty tame, like Ignis marking, Gladio swinging his sword aroung and Prompto shooting things.
I hope they too get some crazy looking moves by endgame.

Haha, why are people comparing gameplay specifics of a very early build Demo, to a fully completed game?

There are still so many things about FFXV's combat that are a mystery to us (we don't even know what techniques they learn when leveling up, or how the ability/skill tree works, if there is one), and we already know that Episode Duscae is not representative of the final product, so what's the point in comparing combat in that to KH2?

Top Bottom