• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV SPOILER THREAD

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Off top of head (apologies for repeats)

- Some bro techniques are game changes. Dawnhammer for single target damage, Gravisphere for crowd control, Regroup for healing, etc. - many of the damaging ones require you to go deeper into the 99AP nodes to really shine. (already mentioned limits)

- Some teamwork moves change up the dynamic. Ignis dropping Noctis a hi-potion for example, or flinch/stagger assist while defending, (passive stuff)

- Magic becomes far more useful when going into the magic grid. Friendly fire is merely a setback. (magic interaction doesn't really change much in this tree)

- Link Strikes and Warpstrikes are far more effective when getting their branches maxed out. Ditto Blindside (passive stuff)

- Going down the Impervious branch and taking it lets you go more on the offensive since you can regain HP retroactively if timed properly (passive stuff)

- Airstep, obviously (this one is active)

- Various First Aid nodes keep bros in battle longer (passive stuff)

None of these discourage you from attacking, (obviously, since attacking still does damage), but if you're solely just attacking, you aren't taking full advantage of Links, Magic, etc to begin with, which are what these nodes enhance.

Of course, there are a bunch of passive like the stat gains and increasing combo damage, but overall they're expensive enough you'll have to pick and choose.

And again, that being said quite a bit of these (especially w.r.t survivability) are completely negated by the nonexistent opportunity cost of items. Heck, in every JRPG ever, all members dead means a game over. Here, it means "do you want to use a Phoenix Down y/n"

Labeled what I think of those. Not sure if you would agree.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
should have let the dog deliver the ring and let Noctis go super saiyan with Ultima or w/e that L1+Triangle skill was in Ch2

actually, the dog did deliver the ring to noctis at the end of chapter 10.

so why didn't the dog deliver it before chapter 10?

is this one of those strange plot holes?

Falk

that puzzling face
Labeled what I think of those. Not sure if you would agree.

You were talking about how they don't meaningfully change up the core of the combat being attacking. I'm pointing out how they do, passive or active or otherwise.

That aside Impervious is anything but passive. It's Knightsguard from Episode Duscae.

nOoblet16

Link Strikes and Blindside are not passive.
You can do them when you choose to...neither are flinch and stagger support since they rely on your actions, that you can control.

You also can't craft spells that actually do stuff until much later because you need to mix them with things that you only find later on in order to get the desired effect. For example you need special loot for limitbreak spells, or special ingredients for multi cast. These all are practically inaccessible at the start because you can't really get these ingredients. Some of the most powerful ingredients are obtained by killing powerful enemies and then you can buy those ingredients after you kill them.

Falk

that puzzling face
actually, the dog did deliver the ring to noctis at the end of chapter 10.

so why didn't the dog deliver it before chapter 10?

is this one of those strange plot holes?

Doesn't Noctis just wake up after Leviathan with ring in hand?

I mean right at the start of Ch10 Gladio calls him out for carrying it around but not wearing it.

should have let the dog deliver the ring and let Noctis go super saiyan with Ultima or w/e that L1+Triangle skill was in Ch2

Come on man, you can trust dogs with alcohol (saint bernard) and notebooks/letters/time travel (umbra), but you can't trust them with rings.

It's like how tigers hate cinnamon.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Link Strikes and Blindside are not passive.
You can do them when you choose to...neither are flinch and stagger support since they rely on your actions, that you can control.

You don't unlock them from the grid... They are unlocked already. Doing more damage is a passive thing....

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Doesn't Noctis just wake up after Leviathan with ring in hand?

I mean right at the start of Ch10 Gladio calls him out for carrying it around but not wearing it.

Whoops, looks like I thought doggo delivered the ring to Noctis to his hand while he was asleep.

Anyway, to conclude: doggo is luna's cellphone

Slater

Banned
Didn't Nomura (Versus era) say that everybody was guessing wrong regarding Noctis's personality? That everybody was pegging him as a character an "emo" character type aligned with Cloud(solemn AC Cloud and some "moody/tude" early Cloud, not "Let's mosey" late-game Cloud) and Squall, but that Noctis was going to be more reserved, even shy around strangers, but be "open", friendly and loyal to those he knew? That's kinda what he was, personality-wise, in the final game.

Yeah Nomura did say that, described him as"quirky". But the closest we ever got to shy Noctis in the Versus era, is the party scene with Stella and even that wasn't very pronounced (Though it was a great scene). Versus era Noctis was all about the edge and it makes sense because in all of those trailers his world is going to hell, but it made what Nomura said about him not seem true to a lot of people because 90 percent of the footage said the opposite.

Meanwhile Tabata's Noctis actually delivered on the dork/shyness side but removed his edge for the most part.

I'm curious if Nomura would have actually delivered on what he said about him, but I can't say Tabata making the awkward dork part more prominent was a bad decision. From what I've seen, a lot of people really like how much his actual personality contrasts with his design.

Shouta

Since the dog is magical, it's probably a safer method to deliver messages than using her cellphone or other things that are monitored!

cuilan

This is the spoiler thread.
We know you took a screenshot.
Prove it.

No screenshots, but I did make a video clip. Unfortunately, the character moves around way too much for a good screenshot to be taken. Not sure if I can post something like that here though, so perhaps it would be best if I PM'd it to you instead, assuming you really want it.

THIS CRACKS ME UP GOOD LORD

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-J0xPfbRr0 help

edit2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHOyhJJtE6g why is this... an offscreen recording, off something playing on what's presumably another video site

Lol, I remember the looney toons one. I trust that doggy.

Is it a spoiler if I said that the music in this game is amazing, because holy crap. This one is still one of my favorite tracks. Might be my favorite battle theme in all of Final Fantasy.

Shimomura continues to make the world a better place.

Whoops, looks like I thought doggo delivered the ring to Noctis to his hand while he was asleep.

Anyway, to conclude: doggo is luna's cellphone

:( I want a doggo for my cellphone, stupid iPhone 7 Plus isn't nearly as adorable as this guy.
Umbra is top 3 dogs of Final Fantasy, Discuss. Only Angelo rivals it in terms of being magical doggy. I mean that thing can be launched at monsters. Angelo was the real star of FFVIII.

Oh god LR Dog...

ULTROS!

:( I want a doggo for my cellphone, stupid iPhone 7 Plus isn't nearly as adorable as this guy.
Umbra is top 3 dogs of Final Fantasy, Discuss. Only Angelo rivals it in terms of being magical doggy. I mean that thing is be launched at monsters. Angelo was the real star of FFVIII.

Sorry but this is the best dog:

gEIQw2j.jpg

Shouta

No screenshots, but I did make a video clip. Unfortunately, the character moves around way too much for a good screenshot to be taken. Not sure if I can post something like that here though, so perhaps it would be best if I PM'd it to you instead, assuming you really want it.

Let's not.

Ruff

What is weird is that Noctis and co leave to go to to Luna at the start of the game in some far away country. Yet Luna shows up in Insomnia during the movie which is in between when they leave and when they go to hammerhead. Meaning Noctis only needed to stay home for a few days to meet Luna in the first place.

Isn't Luna showing up at the city not what is meant to happen? They didn't know she would be there if I remember right.

I find it Odder that Luna did all her stuff with the Astrals around Duscae and then went to Altissa all on her own without even once bumping into Noct and co. She didn't even have a car yet she was ahead of them at all times with their few days head start.

ULTROS!

Isn't Luna showing up at the city not what is meant to happen? They didn't know she would be there if I remember right.

I find it Odder that Luna did all her stuff with the Astrals around Duscae and then went to Altissa all on her own without even once bumping into Noct and co. She didn't even have a car yet she was ahead of them at all times with their few days head start.

Maybe Umbra magically teleported her to said locations.

Or she can fly like the Regalia Type-F.

Zomba13

At the end of Kingsglaive, Luna leaves Insomnia to give the ring to Noct, right? Using the Audi, wouldn't she get to Hammerhead only hours later than the bros?

Am I missing the part where Luna, from the end of Kingsglaive (wich ends on the same day that the game starts, right?) goes from delivering the ring to finding the gods to help Noct bro?

Help me!

PS: Why is Luna the only person in all EOS without Noctis cell number?

Luna leaves the car and chubby guy and goes on foot leaving the city. So she's on foot, walking, the entire way to Altissa.

Enthus

Despite any flaws the story has, I really appreciate that we had a strong, central villain in Ardyn. I also really enjoyed that he didn't have a bunch of different forms, and the entire final fight was just King vs King.

I'm going to freak out when he gets announced for Dissidia.

Jonnax

Luna leaves the car and chubby guy and goes on foot leaving the city. So she's on foot, walking, the entire way to Altissa.

Ahahaha. Audi R8 craps all over the Regalia. It ain't limited to 40mph or whatever snails space. Ah. That's so dumb.

There's a lot of holes in Luna's actions.
You know in that diplomatic negotiation, you can demand to see Luna.
How does she refuse? I knew it wouldn't work so did all the expected answers.

I am still gathering my thoughts about the later parts of the game and the ending. Though I have to ask a question: Does "Too Much is Never Enough" and "I Will Be" ever play in the game?

I always thought "Too Much is Never Enough" would be the theme in the ending credits.

Too Much is Never Enough plays in the full credits on the main menu after you complete the game.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Too Much is Never Enough plays in the full credits on the main menu after you complete the game.

I was watching that and that sounded to me like one of those credit rolls in the movies

Ahahaha. Audi R8 craps all over the Regalia. It ain't limited to 40mph or whatever snails space. Ah. That's so dumb.

There's a lot of holes in Luna's actions.
You know in that diplomatic negotiation, you can demand to see Luna.
How does she refuse? I knew it wouldn't work so did all the expected answers.

40mph? there's a 60mph attachment

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Yeah Nomura did say that, described him as"quirky". But the closest we ever got to shy Noctis in the Versus era, is the party scene with Stella and even that wasn't very pronounced (Though it was a great scene). Versus era Noctis was all about the edge and it makes sense because in all of those trailers his world is going to hell, but it made what Nomura said about him not seem true to a lot of people because 90 percent of the footage said the opposite.

Meanwhile Tabata's Noctis actually delivered on the dork/shyness side but removed his edge for the most part.

I'm curious if Nomura would have actually delivered on what he said about him, but I can't say Tabata making the awkward dork part more prominent was a bad decision. From what I've seen, a lot of people really like how much his actual personality contrasts with his design.
Nomura's Noctis definitely felt more hot-blooded at times.

Tyaren

I really liked the Noctis we eventually got. Kinda dorky, shy, lazy, gentle and with a good heart. Contrary to most other FF protagonists, I actually found him very likable and I cared for him. The scene in which every past king, including Regis, thrust his sword into his chest made me genuinely tear up. :(

Poor Ghost Regis, he had to kill his own son. He didn't want his son to have the burdens of being a king, but to kill his own son!? Must be heartbreaking for him.

Listonosh

Whoa whoa whoa, looks like a lot of speculation regarding DLC might be right, even though the writing is on the wall.

Has anyone applied the Digital Premium Edition theme? It's basically a slideshow with subtitles that say Episode Prompto, Ignis and Gladiolus. Prompto's is a snowy backdrop with a trail of footsteps. Ignis' shows the destruction of Altissia. Gladiolus' shows him facing off against an Iron Giant (?) amidst some ruins. All save for maybe Gladios are pretty on the nose hints at seeing what happens when Prompto falls, and how Ignis perhaps loses his eyesight?

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Whoa whoa whoa, looks like a lot of speculation regarding DLC might be right, even though the writing is on the wall.

Has anyone applied the Digital Premium Edition theme? It's basically a slideshow with subtitles that say Episode Prompto, Ignis and Gladiolus. Prompto's is a snowy backdrop with a trail of footsteps. Ignis' shows the destruction of Altissia. Gladiolus' shows him facing off against an Iron Giant (?) amidst some ruins. All save for maybe Gladios are pretty on the nose hints at seeing what happens when Prompto falls, and how Ignis perhaps loses his eyesight?

Huh. Good find. We've known that Prompto's will probably feature snow, but I believe this is the first confirmation that Ignis' is Altissia.

Gladio's continues to sound the least relevant by far, lol.

LProtag

I'm still sour about the last fight just having Ardyn knock your your friends in the most cheesy manner possible and having it turn into a 1v1.

There were a few cool teamwork moments in the Ifrit fight, but they got completely overshadowed by the use of summons. I just think if the main theme of your game is brotherhood you really need to reflect that in the ending a bit more. Your bros should have gotten the power of the Kingsglaive finally and showed up to help.

Tyaren

Called it... And I know I am repeating myself, but I hope there will be an option to have these missions at the exact places where they were cut from the game and not just separately available from the title screen. I'd really like to play the game how it was meant to be in it's entirety before time contstraints or greed or both split it up.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Called it... And I know I am repeating myself, but I hope thre will be an option to have these missions at the places where they cut them from the game and not just separately available from the title screen. I'd really like to play the game how it was meant to be in it's entirety before time or greed or both split it up.

I haven't seen you post that yet, but I've been thinking the same thing. The stronger the in-game integration, the better. If it has to be title screen content, at least notify players when they reach the proper point in-game to check it out or something. But yeah, your thing is far superior.

Ray Down

Banned

These were released at Paris games show as DLC concept art, it's nothing new.

Listonosh

Huh. Good find. We've known that Prompto's will probably feature snow, but I believe this is the first confirmation that Ignis' is Altissia.

Gladio's continues to sound the least relevant by far, lol.

Called it... And I know I am repeating myself, but I hope there will be an option to have these missions at the exact places where they were cut from the game and not just separately available from the title screen. I'd really like to play the game how it was meant to be in it's entirety before time contstraints or greed or both split it up.

These were released at Paris games show as DLC concept art, it's nothing new.

Ah ok, I guess less newsworthy than I thought. Regardless, here is the imgur link I uploaded them to. I didn't want to post the huge ass pictures here. http://imgur.com/a/g5V7X

I think most people called it that those are what the DLC are going to be. This game might as well have flashed neon signs when Gladio left the party, Ignis lost his vision, and Prompto fell from train saying "Press X for DLC Pack Now!"

Listonosh

The Prompto and Ignis ones are new, thanks :) The Gladio concept we already saw some months ago when the DLC was first announced.

OK so aside from Gladio art, those other 2 are new.

Prompto DLC art is different though from Paris:

https://assets.vg247.com/current/2016/10/FFXV_EpPrompto_Concept.jpg

oh awesome! If anyone wants to post these directly in here, feel free. I'm just not sure how to resize them to format the page correctly.

I'm still sour about the last fight just having Ardyn knock your your friends in the most cheesy manner possible and having it turn into a 1v1.

There were a few cool teamwork moments in the Ifrit fight, but they got completely overshadowed by the use of summons. I just think if the main theme of your game is brotherhood you really need to reflect that in the ending a bit more. Your bros should have gotten the power of the Kingsglaive finally and showed up to help.

They showed up at the end, the after life right before Noctis summons the kings of old. Regis and Luna helped as well.

My only problem with the Ifrit fight is that Bahamut, fucking misses all of his damn swords just to nod at Noct as if to say: "You see how cool that shit was! That distracted him, you should totally attack him."

Most of the Astrals had humanoid forms except Leviathan. I kinda wish Bahamut was also more serpentine or dragon-like. Megaflare > Ulti-miss-word.

Why do you think they won't be fun?
I'm afraid they won't be simply for the fact you won't have the full party. Ignis might have Gladio and Prompto with him, but other 2 I'd expect to be alone. Prompto is the only one I have any curiosity about because he has the most potential for interesting backstory. Not that I care about him, but I suspect we'll see a lot more information on what happened to the fall of the empire's capital, and I heavily suspect we'll see the fall of Ravus. My money right now is that Ravus will join up with Prompto for part of his DLC.
They showed up at the end, the after life right before Noctis summons the kings of old. Regis and Luna helped as well.

My only problem with the Ifrit fight is that Bahamut, fucking misses all of his damn swords just to nod at Noct as if to say: "You see how cool that shit was! That distracted him, you should totally attack him."

Most of the Astrals had humanoid forms except Leviathan. I kinda wish Bahamut was also more serpentine or dragon-like. Megaflare > Ulti-miss-word.
Yeah. I wasn't a fan of Bahamut either. Though what is odd is that in art someone posted Leviathan was in a human form. I think it was in-game art maybe? Had all the astrals surrounding the oracle and maaaybe king of light?

AwShucks

Ifrit really felt like the final boss to me. It was suitably epic.

Top Bottom