• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV SPOILER THREAD

theofficefan99

DLC should be stupid shit like costumes and extra boss fights or whatever. Not stuff that should have been there in the first place.

I would say expansions would be A-OK in my book due to Witcher 3, but the difference here would be that Witcher 3 is continuing the story and adding onto things. An expansion pack for FFXV would be adding onto an incomplete game, with a complete story arc that cannot be continued, therefore I would feel like a beta tester.

I also feel sorry for people who got the game early, because I cannot imagine playing this game without warping outside of battle and the story would feel even more horrendously told without the awkward Kingsglaive scenes (or the added scene to the ending lollllll).

Hysteria

I did some playing today, second playthrough started.

I really do like this game, one of my favorite FF's by far, the aesthetic alone draws me in.
They just really need to ..fix the story however they can, add in what they took out plus more.

sigh

I'd like them to add Noctis' versus trashbag outfit btw in a DLC.

Bladenic

Yeah, Leviathan is in a humanoid form to the left. Arms around Bahamut. Astrals can change form I suppose. Like how Shiva transforms into Gentiana.

I thought that was Leviathan with arms around Ifrit, not Bahamut. I only thought that because both of them didn't care for humanity (clearly Ifrit moreso).

There really should be a guest toggle after completing the game. Pick between having Iris, Arenea, or Cor with you. Glad the game had guest characters though. Nice little change of party dynamics.

Iris gushing over her prince, Arenea talking down to the boys, and everyone in awe of Cor. Would be nice to have them around as an option.

I thought that was Leviathan with arms around Ifrit, not Bahamut. I only thought that because both of them didn't care for humanity (clearly Ifrit moreso).

I don't really know to be honest. Looks like he has wings so I thought it was Bahamut. Plus they look serpentine to me.

Damerman

DLC should be stupid shit like costumes and extra boss fights or whatever. Not stuff that should have been there in the first place.

I would say expansions would be A-OK in my book due to Witcher 3, but the difference here would be that Witcher 3 is continuing the story and adding onto things. An expansion pack for FFXV would be adding onto an incomplete game, with a complete story arc that cannot be continued.

shit, to be honest i'd take it. the crumbs they gave us in the final game are that good.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Tabata said there will be more DLC outside of the season pass.

http://www.siliconera.com/2016/08/2...ans-dlc-6-announced-wont-covered-season-pass/

DLC main producer said so as well and heard people wanting Luna DLC:

http://wccftech.com/final-fantasy-x...ne-square-will-consider-making-luna-playable/

Well, he seems to be saying they're considering it. I reckon the sale of upcoming DLC will tie into what they do beyond that. It could just be further cosmetic material, besides.

HotHamBoy

The combat is not good.

I agree with everything you said but this is the most important thing for me. Video game stories are usually trash so that doesn't bother me as much as bad gameplay.

So many people are saying the combat is great and the combat holds the game up and the combat is the reason they can look past all the bad stuff.

36681719.jpg

TissueBox

Ahh after two long chapters without it the baby is back..!! That being the Regalia of course.

Honestly now that I think about it, other than Noctis' I think the 'death' scene that actually affected me most was the Regalia's, lmao. It did get kinda sad when he had that flashback to his dad. It was then I realized the car was pretty much a partial embodiment of that.

Also seriously, the bros' care for the car is worth some merit too. They took out a friken base for it!

sappyday

There was this concept art of Noct in gym clothes sleeping in his bed. Hopefully someone can look it up but it tells me that they were gonna have a Insomnia sequence/flashback in the game.

Arkeband

Banned
I also feel sorry for people who got the game early, because I cannot imagine playing this game without warping outside of battle.

I never really found a use for this - you'd warp ~four times and be out of MP, and warp points were inactive unless you were in battle, so you couldn't refill your MP or make use of longer distance warping.

Seemed like a really wimpy afterthought.

HotHamBoy

Edit:
My mistake for not clarifying my intent with those Kingsglaive images

I wasn't commenting on the style, I was commenting on the changes in Luna's character and the total absence of the Emperor in the game. An Emperor/Ardyn onscreen presence was something I was looking forward to.

Luna%20Comparison_zpsh9tjekil.png

What happened??

gallery-1472045734-screen-shot-2016-08-24-at-125723.png

WHAT HAPPENED!?

This game gave me serious blue balls.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
This quote from Sawatori in that article about potential Luna stuff is kind of lol.

"The stories we're telling through the DLC are going to be linked closely to the main game's story, but they're things that we feel we could only really do within DLC. It couldn't have been part of the main game at all. So the kind of gameplay experiences that we're delivering, and the kind of stories that we're telling really wouldn't have been possible within the game of XV. It has to be slightly removed in order to do that."

"It couldn't have been part of the main game at all" only makes any sense whatsoever to me if what he means is that the designers needed more time to get the other characters down as playable.

HotHamBoy

This quote from Sawatori in that article about potential Luna stuff is kind of lol.

"It couldn't have been part of the main game at all" only makes any sense whatsoever to me if what he means is that the designers needed more time to get the other characters down as playable.

No, he means they didn't have the time to add even one more minute of content than what was shipped.

Tyaren

Lol, yeah, that sounds very much like:
Of course we didn't cut this stuff from the game. There is really, reeeaaally no way it is cut stuff from the game! Like, really! Pinky promise! ;)

What happened??

WHAT HAPPENED!?

Kingsglaive was meant to reach a bigger, international audience. People that wouldn't usually play a JRPG. That audience might've been turned off by the anime-inspired look, so they made it more marketable, looking like a real life movie with well known voice actors.

Dr Thor

Neo Member
So best case scenario they purposefully wrote themselves into a corner, but worst case scenario they purposefully intended to always use these story omissions as DLC.

Why would they do the former if not to do the latter, though? Why have a character vanish mysteriously for a chapter, then return with no explanation, if you don't intend to explain it in some side-chapter? It adds nothing to the narrative, and is mostly annoying for the player.

sappyday

What happened??

WHAT HAPPENED!?

They went with the mocap actors and the game developers didn't want to bother changing the designs they already had in game with the exception of Regis. Can't blame them, everyone gave them shit when they showed us the Regis redesign.

Griss

What happened??

This was more than just an issue of design preference to me, as my mind never accepted the two Lunas as the same person. Because honestly they weren't the same person - not the same look, voice, or personality. I could maybe have accepted game Luna as Kingsglaive Luna's younger sister. Maybe.

Every part of Kingsglaive was better storytelling than even the highs of the game.

Kingsglaive was meant to reach a bigger, international audience. People that wouldn't usually play a JRPG. That audience might've been turned off by the anime-inspired look, so they made it more marketable, looking like a real life movie with well known voice actors.

But if they knew that the KG Luna was more appealing to a broader, international audience... then why on earth not just use that design for the game? I don't get it.

TissueBox

Actually Kingsglaive for me had almost the same exact problems and strengths of the game. Beautifully realized world but not put together perfectly and in need of more intimate moments and scenes that brought attenion to notable plot points/world details to help flesh out the characters and setting.

Also the shaky as hell camera. :p

But the parts are there! If only this type of thing could have the luxury of second chances, 'cause the potential was so close to being realized. In both cases.

Also, Cersei as Luna and Ned Stark as Regis was brilliant. It was kind of weird going from her to Amy Shiels, personally, eheh. Not as any slight against Shiels though. It just gave KG Luna such an 'air'. Which was also why I went into the game excited to see more of her, buut that turned out a bit more differently than I expected lmao.

HotHamBoy

I wasn't commenting on the style, I was commenting on the changes in Luna's character and the total absence of the Emperor in the game. An Emperor/Ardyn onscreen presence was something I was looking forward to.

theofficefan99

Kingsglaive had amazing CGI but it was severely hampered by the unnecessary knights of the Glaive and the horrendous camerawork. Also Drautos made no fucking sense.

It truly was a mistake to remove Nomura entirely and to make it into a "single game" aka a movie, a low-budget anime series, a mobile game, and a bunch of DLC, with a short-ass game where the first half is a whole bunch of poorly-written nothing.

I would have been totally okay with a trilogy and idk why SE thought it was a better idea to go with my above paragraph (and using the trilogy idea on a game that has already been released, and as a single game) than to stick with what was originally planned.

HotHamBoy

Kingsglaive had amazing CGI but it was severely hampered by the unnecessary knights of the Glaive and the horrendous camerawork. Also Drautos made no fucking sense.

It truly was a mistake to remove Nomura entirely and to make it into a "single game" aka a movie, a low-budget anime series, a mobile game, and a bunch of DLC, with a short-ass game where the first half is a whole bunch of poorly-written nothing.

I would have been totally okay with a trilogy and idk why SE thought it was a better idea to go with my above paragraph (and using the trilogy idea on a game that has already been released, and as a single game) than to stick with what was originally planned.

I should also stress that I thought Kingsglaive was a piece of shit. Some truly awful filmmaking.

But it set up some cool characters for the game that ended up coming to nothing.

Ruff

At least you get to see the old lady luna talks to at the start in the actual game too.

10/10 movie cameos.

Slater

Banned

Cause it costs less, takes less time and the 13 trilogy killed any good will to the idea of a trilogy at all. Plus no need to worry about sales for the sequels dropping. Seriously this isn't hard to figure out.

It sucks to high hell, but its no hard to figure out at all.

Edit:

What happened??

WHAT HAPPENED!?

While the Kingsglaive look more realistic, I prefer Luna and Ardyn from the game. Emperor from the movie.

Infest

Ravus, just like all of the empire, was huge disappointment overall.

When the group was talking about Ravus and his potential plans on their way to Altissia I really thought the character would play a huge role in the second half of the story. lol

theofficefan99

Cause it costs less, takes less time and the 13 trilogy killed any good will to the idea of a trilogy at all. Plus no need to worry about sales for the sequels dropping. Seriously this isn't hard to figure out.

It sucks to high hell, but its no hard to figure out at all.

The only reason it costed less is because they gimped the main game. Tabata even stated Kingsglaive uses the budget he was given for the project.

I don't think it was a smart idea to waste budget on a CGI movie that ended up reviewing horribly, that not everyone saw, that was pretty much required to experience the full story, especially when it meant gimping the main game.

Had it been split into 3 or even 2 games, not only would the games have had less CGI than the movie (and it would have been just Visual Works, not Digic or all the other studios involved), the games would have been better received. I thought that's what they were aiming for with this game? To bring FF's name back. I don't think XV did it. It's selling, yeah, but... the game is rushed as fuck. I don't even think it deserves an 83 unless you're being kind in the sense that the game is more than the sum of its parts, but there are a ton of glaring flaws, some of which are completely unacceptable, like the camera and the lock-on.

Also, I truly believe they began production on Kingsglaive around the end of 2014, maybe even later. Because otherwise it wouldn't make any sense to show Insomnia invasion stuff at Jump Festa. And it also falls in line with the story of the main game being rewritten 800 times.

HotHamBoy

I really wanted a non-daemon Ravus boss fight.

I hated how the empire was handled.

Final Fantasy hasn't handled ensemble villians well since FFVII. That cast was phenomenal.

And it also falls in line with the story of the main game being rewritten 800 times.

I am convinced SE never has really known what the actually story of the game is or should be. That's why it's so vague and gaping.

The more I think about this whole situation, the worse it gets. Think about it. After all those trailers, demos, AT Reports, that cathartic "Uncovered" event, an anime series, a movie, a mobile game, a cover song... geez, even the rock pictures... what happened to the game? The game is the main course! It's the reason for everything (or is it?). I don't know how to explain it. If the game wasnt ready, what's the purpose of everything else?

I wonder if the development, after Tabata took over, was a mess from the beggining or something happened to kill it.

HotHamBoy

The more I think about this whole situation, the worse it gets. Think about it. After all those trailers, demos, AT Reports, that cathartic "Uncovered" event, an anime series, a movie, a mobile game, a cover song... geez, even the rock pictures... what happened to the game? The game is the main course! It's the reason for everything (or is it?). I don't know how to explain it. If the game wasnt ready, what's the purpose of everything else?

I wonder if the development, after Tabata took over, was a mess from the beggining or something happened to kill it.

10 years.

Meowster

Final Fantasy hasn't handled ensemble villians well since FFVII. That cast was phenomenal.

I am convinced SE never has really known what the actually story of the game is or should be. That's why it's so vague and gaping.
Hm. I'd say that XII actually handled multiple villains really well. Especially in comparison to their main cast of playable characters lol.

They made a movie and a fucking anime all for this?

I couldn't have imagined poorer story. I legit have no hope for this franchise. Next time put together something coherent then go from there. I'm sure if I turned this shit in for 5th grade creative writing I'd get a fail.

Also the combat isn't that great

Slater

Banned
The only reason it costed less is because they gimped the main game. Tabata even stated Kingsglaive uses the budget he was given for the project.

I don't think it was a smart idea to waste budget on a CGI movie that ended up reviewing horribly, that not everyone saw, that was pretty much required to experience the full story, especially when it meant gimping the main game.

Had it been split into 3 or even 2 games, not only would the games have had less CGI than the movie (and it would have been just Visual Works, not Digic or all the other studios involved), the games would have been better received. I thought that's what they were aiming for with this game? To bring FF's name back. I don't think XV did it. It's selling, yeah, but... the game is rushed as fuck. I don't even think it deserves an 83 unless you're being kind in the sense that the game is more than the sum of its parts, but there are a ton of glaring flaws, some of which are completely unacceptable, like the camera and the lock-on.

Also, I truly believe they began production on Kingsglaive around the end of 2014, maybe even later. Because otherwise it wouldn't make any sense to show Insomnia invasion stuff at Jump Festa. And it also falls in line with the story of the main game being rewritten 800 times.

Dude, trilogy of full games>>>>>>>one game and a CGI movie in terms of budget, lol it's not even comparable. It wasn't good for the product, but they don't care they make more money with less risk of people not buying the sequels like what happened with 13. They just wanted there money and the albatross of Versus off there necks.

Mailbox

Forgetting about 9? Great ensemble of villains imo.

as for the combat, no I like it lots. The only real problem for me is the camera and lock-on camera. Otherwise I have a blast with it.

Top Bottom