• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV SPOILER THREAD

muteki

Finished the main story just a while ago, I've got to let it stew for a bit and I'm probably a bit late here and don't want to reiterate or pile on the same things so just a few random thoughts.

- I'm really not an "open world game" kind of person due to the sacrifices that almost always go along with it, and so initially I was pretty positive when it came out that the game would change from an open to linear style as things progressed. However my experience with the game was quite the opposite, as I enjoyed it the most when roaming about doing random things. Once I got on the boat and the game was then forced to rely on its narrative to carry it everything fell apart for me. Didn't help that as this was playing out I was going through a checklist of things I wanted to do or see that one by one didn't end up materializing or were underwhelming if the did.

- On the upside, for me and my experience with the series and what I have liked and look for in each game, only this one of those I have played since IX (so no XI, XIII-3, XIV) has moved the bar forward when it comes to realizing what IX and prior did as far as building a world that feels whole and global in scale. X~XIII always felt like steps back and compromises for me, but XV for me actually tried for the first time to take the old formula and advance it, as opposed to discarding it and trying something different. It isn't complete, obviously, and I'm not saying those aspects of the other games are horrible either but I really liked the effort in this area of XV, probably more than anything else about the game. If it had been fully realized it could have been amazing, but this is the limit I guess of what we can expect from a "GTA-sized" open world stretched to contain an epic story, with current tech and resources.

- Not to delve into the story too much as I don't think I really have anything new to bring to the table, but what really turned me off was how until almost the very end of the game, every interaction the protagonists have with a member of the empire that has a face - is an amicable one. This is completely bonkers to me knowing just the history of the war that has been going on for so long, what it has done to Lucis in general, and that isn't even including everything that goes down in the beginning of the game/Kingsglaive. That every interaction that happens with Ardyn, Revus, Aranea (pre "defection"), officials in Altissia, etc. isn't immediately started with weapons drawn or at the very least a timely insult after their home has been essentially burned to the ground families included is insane and bonkers to me. Even before they know of the invasion when they meet Ardyn the first time as if they don't know who he is, when he is of a position of power and they have been at war for so long is crazy.

So really mixed feelings. I really appreciate what the game aspired to (and of that, what it did accomplish) at least on a technical and theoretical level, but so much else of what is left is a disappointment. It's sitting in this weird MGSV~esque section of my head now.

Cloukyo

Banned
Yes, however that wasn't Ardyn ultimate plan. Remember that Ardyn KNEW that Noctis would cleanse the world anyways. The world being cleansed was part of his plan, because cleansing the world would end the Lucis line.

Ten years man. I'm sure a LOT of people suffered in that time.

Like I said, sure, it was a personal battle, but the whole world was brought into it. That's the problem, it seems small scale and personal because you don't see the world of ruin for very long. When you actually think about it, the world is in a horrific state, worse than the world of ruin in FFVI even. Ardyn truly turned the world into hell for those ten years.

muteki

Also, probably stupid question:

Was all that talk about finding Luna's wedding dress in the game and I just missed it, or was it patched out?

I walked past it in the shop window in Altissa but no one said a word about it in game. All I did in Altissa was talk to the owner of the bar and the chancellor lady and I was out.

HeelPower

Was all that talk about finding Luna's wedding dress in the game and I just missed it, or was it patched out?

I walked past it in the shop window in Altissa but no one said a word about it in game. All I did in Altissa was talk to the owner of the bar and the chancellor lady and I was out.

You missed it.

Yeah,that Vivienne Westwood product placement is in the game.

Ferr986

That would be kind of weird, since Iedolas was already transformed into a Daemon and he evaporated when he died. Also it would mean that Ardyn carried Iedolas' nude body and dressed him again in his old robes.

:v

But still, holy shit if true.

Ardyn is such a great villain.

Also Nyx completely desintegrates.

I don't think its their real corpses, but some kind of fake reconstructions...or... The fuck should I know.

Tyaren

You missed it, strange... This scene should've been playing automatically approaching the store:

https://youtu.be/E2ccn3HqF10?t=3m4s

Adaren

Not to delve into the story too much as I don't think I really have anything new to bring to the table, but what really turned me off was how until almost the very end of the game, every interaction the protagonists have with a member of the empire that has a face - is an amicable one.

Yeah, this was terrible. The destruction of Insomnia was already on tenuous emotional ground, given how the protagonists seem to not be overtly fazed by it.

When they get on the airship with Ardyn, and somehow no Nifilheim members make a motion to capture Noctis, and Noctis + co. don't try to capture Ardyn, and Ardyn never gets in trouble for aiding his government's #1 enemy...that's just absurd. The game doesn't try to justify it; it does 't even acknowledge it.

Then this happens at least 2 more times before Chapter 9.

Gourry

Nope, if it was a side quest I didn't activate it seems. No one asked me to look for it, and I wandered right past there right after getting off the boat but never heard that dialogue.

I also never got Prompto to take that picture by the bar, always complained about the light.

If I remember correctly, you had to overhear some NPCs at the docks talking about the dress to get the sidequest. I guess it's possible to go around those NPCs, as they stood where you walked out from the docks.

Ydelnae

Should we make a new thread for all the details shared in the FFXV Ultimania interviews?

When asked about Ifrit's role in the story and why he decided to unleash the Starscourge after falling out with the other five gods, Tabata answered "Sorry, I don't know the details".

A character called "Safay Roth" was cut during development. He was a Niflheim general and his role ended up being filled with traces of Ardyn's character. The "SAF" letters in the Niflheim ships were left in the final designs to honor this general that never made it to the final game.

Prompto Besithia was adopted when he was one year old by the Argentum family of Lucis.

yunbuns

When asked about Ifrit's role in the story and why he decided to unleash the Starscourge after falling out with the other five gods, Tabata answered "Sorry, I don't know the details".

Lmao I love this. Never change Tabby. And yeah it would be cool if you made a new thread about all the info from the ultimania.

Caim

All right, now that I'm done, how the hell I got Psychomancer to spawn ?

Take the elevator and then go back down and return all the way to the beginning which means you gotta go back through the subway underground area and then psychomancer should be there.

Ydelnae

I don't think that post is supposed to be serious haha. Safay Roth lol.

Everything I posted is serious, source has scans from the Ultimania which are not allowed to be posted or linked, so I can't direct you to the page itself.

(2)帝国軍 の 揚陸艇 など に 書か れ て いる 「 SAF 」 の 文字 は 当初登場 する 予定 だっ た サフェイ ロス 将軍 の 部 を 表す マーク でし た 。 彼 は 登場 し なく なり まし た が 、 文字 は 「 かつて 存在 し た 名高い将軍 を 讃え て いる 」 という 設定 で 残し て い ます あと アーデン の 役職 は 悪役 だ から という 理由 で 宰相 に し まし た 宰相 って そういう イメージ が あり ます 。 仲剛
  • Translators Notes: This is one of the few times I will post raw text, translators notes, and THEN translation. I had this cross-verified by three different people because I did not trust what I was reading.
Literal Translation:
The character of “SAF” written on the Imperial Army ’s landing boats serve as a mark representing the general command of “Safay Roth,” who was supposed to appear at first in the game. He was cut out during development, but the letter is left “to honor the famous generals that existed” Proceeding this, Ardyn’s position was added as villain.
  • TN: I did not make this up. I did not write this as a joke. I did not mess up this translation.

I've read the scans and it matches up.

jackdoe

Everything I posted is serious, source has scans from the Ultimania which are not allowed to be posted or linked, so I can't direct you to the page itself.

I love the TN about getting it cross verified by three people because they couldn't believe what they were reading.

Tyaren

giphy.gif

F0rneus

Tears in the rain

Estuans interius
Ira vehementi
Estuans interius
Ira vehementi
Safay Roth
Safay Roth

Cynar

It was a start, more akin to Kefka poisoning the village. A hint that he's a true asshole. But not enough to cement him as a true planet-wide threat. Kefka's influence was seen in the world of ruin in the second half of FFVI because of how he was routinely destroying cities on a whim, and because of how you had time to see the effects of his evil and let it sink in.

In FFXV you're just there. You hear some stuff. Then you fight Ardyn.

Don't get me wrong, he's a great bad guy. He was honestly just done a disservice, I feel this way about the bros too. I thought Noctis would be a whiny git but he ended up being really likeable. Seeing older Noctis go around the world trying to fix shit on a smaller scale, helping people, being a down to earth king helping everyone he could, would've been awesome.
I guess you could do that or you could just help everyone at once by cleansing the world. World of ruin was really in eternal darkness and seems like it's worse than FFVI even. After being stuck in a crystal for ten years you'd probably just want to end it too. It would've been nice to see more of how awful it became.

Edzi

This is hilariously sad if true. Like a lot of video game stories, XV's strong ending/characters seems to be mostly a happy accident with a lot of the good parts filled in by our imaginations since there were so many blanks. At this point, it's better if they just kinda stop talking about it. Also, don't let this guy direct another FF. He can put together a good game, but man does he not seem to grasp how to tell a story.

Estuans interius
Ira vehementi
Estuans interius
Ira vehementi
Safay Roth
Safay Roth

Gotta fight his mortal enemy, Clod Strofe.

RG0BS1U.gif

The ending was left vague on purpose. See? The fate of the bros is meant to be ambiguous. I KNEW IT

Nah.

LOL I can't at this.

What a clutertrash.

Even if I love XV I can't have Tabata direct a mainline FF again.

Some of the oversights are just so ridiculous LOL

I understood Starscourge just fine. There was a huge title card saying starscourge and that one dude with spots that Luna touched. What more do you need?!

/s

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
According to the leaks they removed these flashbacks due to the "Luna is weak" / "FFXV is sexist" controversy.

What the hell? That really suck if true. I was interested in the context of that scene. I think it was Ardyn who was attacking her.

Removing story to satisfy a tiny, but loud voice on the internet was not what this game needed.

Ray Down

Banned
What the hell? That really suck if true. I was interested in the context of that scene. I think it was Ardyn who was attacking her.

Removing story to satisfy a tiny, but loud voice on the internet was not what this game needed.

For better or worse they should have kept it in.

Also Tabata memory echoing Toriyama (Akira)

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Tabata: Once Safay Roth was cut, we had to change the name of a certain other character.

Ferrari: *Laughs* I'm glad I didn't design that one.

Interviewer: Which character was this?

Tabata: You may have been able to guess, but it is Verstael, the scientist of the empire. His original name was Professor Hajo.

Tabata: Once Safay Roth was cut, we had to change the name of a certain other character.

Tabata: You may have been able to guess, but it is Verstael, the scientist of the empire. His original name was Professor Hajo.
Considering the complete absence of that character it barely matters

Sad when the designing and conception of a character probably took billions of time more than they ever amounted to anything on screen.

Edzi

lol, were these guys just dicking around while designing this game's plot/characters?

LordKasual

Banned

god fucking dammit

I wish

I WISH

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Ydelnae

Luna made her first pact with a summon 8 years before the story started. Gentiana joined the Fleuret family when Luna was born.

Undubbed

I know I can't be the only one bothered by Prompto taking pictures during combat.

I mean our lives are on the line here and here you are just takin' pictures.

I'd knock the camera right out his hand and smash it.

Top Bottom