• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV SPOILER THREAD

The prompto "reveal" has to be one of the most forced and senseless plot point in years.

I'm also under the suspicion that the translation got lost somewhere because even though Nilf breeds/creates its people, aren't MTs necessarily robotic?

The prompto "reveal" has to be one of the most forced and senseless plot point in years.

I'm also under the suspicion that the translation got lost somewhere because even though Nilf breeds/creates its people, aren't MTs necessarily robotic?
Seriously. I heard the reveal and was like "OK". I imagine it will mean more when his DLC comes but it was so out of nowhere that it was just laughable.

I got the Platinum trophy for Final Fantasy XV a week ago but never wrote up my thoughts on the game, so I guess I'll give some quick impressions about it here:

I love the game, but I think it's a mess. For every strong point the game has, there often seems to be a weakness that comes with it for me. I liked the combat system, but I didn't like many of the boss fights in the main story. I liked most of the soundtrack, but I didn't like how some of it was implemented in the game. I liked Noctis, Ardyn, and the relationship between the party members, but I still thought they could have used more development and the rest of the characters fell flat for me. I liked the general concepts of the story and thought some individual cutscenes were well executed, but I thought the plot was poorly told and most of those cutscenes felt like payoff without much prior buildup. I liked the tone the game went for on the second continent with the train but felt that section was rushed from both a story and gameplay perspective. I could keep going with more examples but anyone reading this probably gets what I'm trying to say.

While I was playing the game, the pros definitely outweighed the cons for me, but I can't help but wonder what the game would have been like if it released a year later. I really get the impression that the game was rushed out the door and Tabata's team didn't have enough time to complete the game they wanted. Granted a lot of my story issues with Final Fantasy XV were even more prevalent in Final Fantasy Type-0 so it still might have had a messy execution if it got an extra year of development time.

When asked about Ifrit's role in the story and why he decided to unleash the Starscourge after falling out with the other five gods, Tabata answered "Sorry, I don't know the details".

I'm really not sure how to respond to this.

I also think this was lost in translation, especially considering Noct's reaction to the news is essentially taking it like Prompto only just told him he's actually from Nifleheim and is all "who cares bro, you're with us now." Hence, why everyone dismissed it and it was never brought up again.

If Prompto being an MT means he's actually part daemon or robot, then uh....yikes, Square.

Skilletor

Well, without her, Noctis' mission would've failed miserably. She IS important to Noctis' journey. But the game is not about her.

Not when her importance is offscreen and we never see her do anything.

Easily could have just been a quest for Noctis to prove his worthiness to the summons and Luna could be written out entirely with minimal impact on the story. She was a non-entity in both the movie and the game.

Toth

LOL I can't at this.

What a clutertrash.

Even if I love XV I can't have Tabata direct a mainline FF again.

Some of the oversights are just so ridiculous LOL

I'm not shocked but just very disappointed. I mean how could you not, as a director, know the core parts of your story? The Starscourge is a HUGE part of the plot and Ifrit's battle, while awesome, seemed like it needed SOME context, no?

What a shame.

Ishida

Banned
Not when her importance is offscreen and we never see her do anything.

Easily could have just been a quest for Noctis to prove his worthiness to the summons and Luna could be written out entirely with minimal impact on the story. She was a non-entity in both the movie and the game.

She's the one who awakened the gods and convinced them to give Noctis a chance to prove himself. How did she "not do anything"?

Also, without her summoning the Royal Arms to aid Noctis against Leviathan, the game would've ended with Noctis being devoured by the goddess.

Cloukyo

Banned
I also think this was lost in translation, especially considering Noct's reaction to the news is essentially taking it like Prompto only just told him he's actually from Nifleheim and is all "who cares bro, you're with us now." Hence, why everyone dismissed it and it was never brought up again.

If Prompto being an MT means he's actually part daemon or robot, then uh....yikes, Square.

In an older mainline title you'd probably have an entire section of the game dedicated to going to his home town, talking to people who know/knew him, some bonding sessions with him where he talks about his past etc...

Here we're given five minutes, an answer to a question that wasn't ever even asked. Seriously, did he ever say anything about having magitek abilities or something earlier in the game? How did he even figure out he was one?

Skilletor

She's the one who awakened the gods and convinced them to give Noctis a chance to prove himself. How did she "not do anything"?

Because we're told this. We don't get to see it. It doesn't add to her character or the story of the game when everything the heroine supposedly did is told to us. How would the story be impacted if, instead of her "awakening the gods" off screen (as so much of this game is), Noctis confronted each of them and they were "awakened" by the new king of lucis calling on their power? How is the Titan battle changed because Luna was apparently there first instead of Titan being awakened because Noctis shows up?

It's not. Luna adds nothing to the story. Her character is a plot contrivance and an insult to female characters in videogames.

Show, don't tell. Something FF15 never learns.

Mercador

Take the elevator and then go back down and return all the way to the beginning which means you gotta go back through the subway underground area and then psychomancer should be there.
Thanks, I did that but no Psychomancer... Is it possible to kill it after the game is done?

LordKasual

Banned
In an older mainline title you'd probably have an entire section of the game dedicated to going to his home town, talking to people who know/knew him, some bonding sessions with him where he talks about his past etc...

Here we're given five minutes, an answer to a question that wasn't ever even asked. Seriously, did he ever say anything about having magitek abilities or something earlier in the game? How did he even figure out he was one?

He doesn't have any Magitek abilities.

MTs are made from daemons, which are made from humans. Nifilheim got their humans from clones, as one of the notes in ch.13 mentioned.

Since prompto has the marking of one, he's more than likely a clone that was supposed to be purposed into an MT but he somehow escaped / was displaced from the lab before that could happen.

Munti

IIRK, in the German translation, Prompto only mentions that he is from originally Nifelheim, and not that he is an MT

Ishida

Banned
Because we're told this. We don't get to see it. It doesn't add to her character or the story of the game when everything the heroine supposedly did is told to us. How would the story be impacted if, instead of her "awakening the gods" off screen (as so much of this game is), Noctis confronted each of them and they were "awakened" by the new king of lucis calling on their power?

What?

We got to see it. We get to see the scene with her talking to Titan and Leviathan, and Shiva's her personal attendant.

We also saw, very clearly, the scene with her using her own Royal Arm to summon the rest.

Sinistral

One thing that really bugged me at the end... and could be a comparison to the entire game.

When you finally get to Hammerhead for a big reunion after 10 years, the truck pulls up, Noctis gets out then greets everyone. Says "We got a lot of catching up to do." Ignis replies "Let's head inside." They start walking to the diner... I say aloud YEAH YOU DO! hoping for some great conversation about the last 10 years.

The game cuts to you and your party with you in control. Prompting you with a shitty fucking window that the final encounter is going to happen. That's it!

FUCK THIS GAME. Heheh...eh...

Edzi

He doesn't have any Magitek abilities.

MTs are made from daemons, which are made from humans. Nifilheim got their humans from clones, as one of the notes in ch.13 mentioned.

Since prompto has the marking of one, he's more than likely a clone that was supposed to be purposed into an MT but he somehow escaped / was displaced from the lab before that could happen.

Yup, Prompto is definitely still a human. He'd have to be, for his father to be that scientist dude.

Because we're told this. We don't get to see it. It doesn't add to her character or the story of the game when everything the heroine supposedly did is told to us. How would the story be impacted if, instead of her "awakening the gods" off screen (as so much of this game is), Noctis confronted each of them and they were "awakened" by the new king of lucis calling on their power? How is the Titan battle changed because Luna was apparently there first instead of Titan being awakened because Noctis shows up?

It's not. Luna adds nothing to the story. Her character is a plot contrivance and an insult to female characters in videogames.

Show, don't tell. Something FF15 never learns.

I take it you're not a MGS fan? If you were, you'd know not to argue with Ishida when it comes to a game he likes. You're not gonna win this lol

JayEH

Insult to female video games characters seems a bit harsh...Luna (like 99% of the characters) was pretty much a non factor but not that bad.

Skilletor

What?

We got to see it. We get to see the scene with her talking to Titan and Leviathan, and Shiva's her personal attendant.

We also saw, very clearly, the scene with her using her own Royal Arm to summon the rest.

Word, cool. 10 second cutscene as some sort of flashback in Noctis' mind totally validates her existence. She contributes nothing to the story. Take her out and nothing changes.

Insult to female video games characters seems a bit harsh...Luna was pretty much a non factor but not that bad.

Her entire character exists as a way to fulfill the main character's goal. She has no goals or desires of her own. I said as much after watching Kingsglaive, and her appearance in FF15 was worse.

I take it you're not a MGS fan? If you were, you'd know not to argue with Ishida when it comes to a game he likes. You're not gonna win this lol

Yeah, but don't post much in those threads because of conversations like this. :p

Caim

Thanks, I did that but no Psychomancer... Is it possible to kill it after the game is done?

Yeah definitely. I beat the game and then redid the Ifrit fight after loading up my save and got Psychomancer to spawn.

You may have to kill the Red Giants that spawn where Ifrit once was.

That's what I did but I didn't think it had anything to do with triggering the spawn.

Ishida

Banned
Word, cool. 10 second cutscene as some sort of flashback in Noctis' mind totally validates her existence.

Moving goalposts, are we? The only thing I'm arguing is that she is important to Noctis' journey. And she is. Without her, the gods simply wouldn't give as shit or would never help Noctis. Or without her intervention in the fight against Leviathan, Noctis would've been killed.

That's all.

If you believe I'm arguing about Luna having a magnificent participation and screen time, you are deluding yourself.

Toth

What?

Why do people need to see EVERYTHING? We got some brief screens of her awakening the gods and that was perfectly fine. I certainly did not miss anything. How are other people???

Skilletor

Moving goalposts, are we? The only thing I'm arguing is that she is important to Noctis' journey. And she is. Without her, the gods simply wouldn't give as shit or would never help Noctis. Or without her intervention in the fight against Leviathan, Noctis would've been killed.

That's all.

If you believe I'm arguing about Luna having a magnificent participation and screen time, you are deluding yourself.

Nah, the story was so shitty I actually forgot about the 10 seconds she appeared in a cutscene or two. My bad.

My point doesn't change. Showing her talk to the gods (she didn't even have any lines...just clutched her stomach, lol) to awaken them doesn't mean she needs to exist.

She's just a plot point, not a character.

Ishida

Banned
Why do people need to see EVERYTHING? We got some brief screens of her awakening the gods and that was perfectly fine. I certainly did not miss anything. How are other people???

Beats me. Luna had very little screentime and a ton of wasted potential. But she was important to the journey.

Nah, the story was so shitty I actually forgot about the 10 seconds she appeared in a cutscene or two.

Well, at least you admit it.

And no, she's a character. A character with little screen time, but a character nonetheless.

Skilletor

I don't need to SEE EVERYTHING, but you know, it would have been pretty cool to actually show the reason she exists and not just tell us, wouldn't it? Wouldn't it have been cool to show Luna stand up to the gods and make the case for humanity and Noctis? For her to have some lines showing her conviction and the reason she has remained so faithful and is willing to throw her life away?

Nah, flashback, clutch stomach, done, lol.

Luna must have been hella convincing.

jb1234

One thing that really bugged me at the end... and could be a comparison to the entire game.

When you finally get to Hammerhead for a big reunion after 10 years, the truck pulls up, Noctis gets out then greets everyone. Says "We got a lot of catching up to do." Ignis replies "Let's head inside." They start walking to the diner... I say aloud YEAH YOU DO! hoping for some great conversation about the last 10 years.

The game cuts to you and your party with you in control. Prompting you with a shitty fucking window that the final encounter is going to happen. That's it!

That scene felt especially unnatural. The bros haven't seen their best friend in TEN YEARS and that's the best they can muster up? But nope, character development doesn't matter in the game, gotta keep the plot moving!

Koozek

The feeling when you don't know whether Delaney is fucking with you or not
HWaQd6Z.png

The bit with Tabata saying "I don't know the details" is fake too, right? :D

Caim

There is a line Ardyn says when you fight him: "Ten years and nothing to show for it!"

Which pretty much sums up how I feel about the majority of the story.

Ydelnae

The feeling when you don't know whether Delaney is fucking with you or not
HWaQd6Z.png

The bit with Tabata saying "I don't know the details" is fake too, right? :D

It is not. Unless it's mistranslated and somehow it turns out to be "the details are not known", that is allegedly what the text about Ifrit says. "I don't know the details". Multiple people have commented on Twitter that some Japanese fans are not satisfied with what this section says, so I think the translation is accurate.

Edzi

It is not. Unless it's mistranslated and somehow it turns out to be "the details are not known", that is allegedly what the text about Ifrit says. "I don't know the details". Multiple people have commented on Twitter that some Japanese fans are angry at this comment, so I think the translation is accurate.

They should be angry tbh, it's kind of shitty when the director seems to not care that much about the game. Makes it seem like the issues we originally thought were due to a lack of time could have been because of general apathy.

Toth

It is not. Unless it's mistranslated and somehow it turns out to be "the details are not known", that is allegedly what the text about Ifrit says. "I don't know the details". Multiple people have commented on Twitter that some Japanese fans are angry at this comment, so I think the translation is accurate.

Maybe he is saying that the scenario writer knows more of the details? I don't know what else to say...

Good to see Japanese players calling him out though.

Mercador

Yeah definitely. I beat the game and then redid the Ifrit fight after loading up my save and got Psychomancer to spawn.

You may have to kill the Red Giants that spawn where Ifrit once was.

That's what I did but I didn't think it had anything to do with triggering the spawn.
Thanks again. Last question if I may; I read elsewhere that it should spawn at the place where a 72 beast spawned generally, is that the place ?

Sinistral

There is a line Ardyn says when you fight him: "Ten years and nothing to show for it!"

Which pretty much sums up how I feel about the majority of the story.

Lol, that's right! During the shit DBZ fight. It almost seems self aware. But that's giving SE too much credit.

Shuhei is not an easy person to impress. The dude works with some of the best development studios on the planet every day.

XV isnt just my GOTY, its my favorite PS4 game.

Ishida

Banned
Oh without a doubt my GOTY as well. That says something that despite its flaws, it's a Damn good experience.

Agreed. I actually found it amazing that despite the poor narrative and overall flaws, the positives really outweigh the negatives.

XV is one of those games where the result is greater than the sum of its parts.

As a huge Final Fantasy fan, the feeling of charm and passion that this game gives me while I play is unbelievable. This game has something that I sorely missed from XII and XIII.

The fact that I'm still playing and enjoying and finding new things even after finishing it. It really amazes me. Once we move on to XVI, I'm really going to miss this goofy group of friends.

Final-Fantasy-XV-Group-Shot-1-625x350.jpg

Akainu

When asked about Ifrit's role in the story and why he decided to unleash the Starscourge after falling out with the other five gods, Tabata answered "Sorry, I don't know the details".
But tabata's vision. =p

So future jrpg with cut content and dlc?

jb1234

Tabata has a long history of bungling the story aspects of his games. Type-0 is even worse than XV in that area (which is saying something).

Toth

Tabata has a long history of bungling the story aspects of his games. Type-0 is even worse than XV in that area (which is saying something).

He's a decent director in that he can bring things together but his ability to judge what should or should not be shown or told to the player is very, very subpar. Then again, whose idea was the leveling system of Type-0? How good could that game had been if all cadets stayed the same level?

Top Bottom