• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Blade Runner 2049 impressions

I just found out that checking Water Tower music is the wrong call. WB is distributing the film stateside, but it seems like the soundtrack is coming out on Sony/Epic, not WB/Water Tower.

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2017/09/27/epic-records-to-release-blade-runner-2049-soundtrack/

You can pre-order some sort of limited edition here. Digital version gets unlocked on the 6th.

https://bladerunner2049.shop.musictoday.com/store/
Awesome, thanks for the heads up. Bought, comes with the MP3s too if anyone was interested. They unlock on 10/6.

He also wrote the book The Beach, and the movies 28 Days Later, Sunshine, and Dredd.
Yeah his writing is top notch. How is the book? Read a youtube commenter who said he watched an early screening of Annihilation and it was amazing and ending was also incredible. Of course it could be made up -_-

i've read annihilation and i cannot wait for the film. does gaf not like ex machina? i like ex machina
Loved the movie.

Of course gaf hates Villegoat's most popular film, why am I not surprised at all? Slanderous foolishness.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Yeah his writing is top notch. How is the book? Read a youtube commenter who said he watched an early screening of Annihilation and it was amazing and ending was also incredible. Of course it could be made up -_-

Of course gaf hates Villegoat's most popular film, why am I not surprised at all? Slanderous foolishness.

i've read annihilation and i cannot wait for the film. does gaf not like ex machina? i like ex machina

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
FWIW i think Sicario ruled and that Arrival is OK at worst.
Basically how I feel. Arrival was good, but not mind blowing. Sicario, though, was tense, chilling, and gripping.

No one should sleep on Polytechnique, that movie is haunting. I need to see Maelstrom and August 32nd on Earth one of these days.
Polytechnique was the first DV movie I saw. Haunting is the right word. It's a movie about a mass school shooting that managed to be both respectful and compelling. I'd highly recommend it.

I still need to see his earlier films you mentioned.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
Shit, I'll have to be careful then since I don't want to know anything about the movie before going in watching it.

When I heard they were going to make a sequel for Blade Runner I was like "WHY"

But when I heard Villeneuve would direct it I was like "ohhhh". I never doubted.

Going back to a few days ago when we were talking about IMAX versus the wide 'scope ratio framing and which to see. Roger Deakins has spoken again:

Hi Roger,

do you then recommend seeing the movie in standard cinema or IMAX 2D?

Thx.

Roger Deakins said:
I think I said previously that I oversaw the timing of all the versions of 'BR2049' including the HDR version.

My preferred version is the standard 2D widescreen version. A problem I have with some viewing systems is their use of silvered screens. The image projected on a silvered screen lacks saturation as well as density as it falls off from a hot spot in the center of vision. This may not be so apparent for someone sitting in the optimum viewing seat but it is a compromise in terms of image quality wherever you are seated, though it maybe a compromise worth accepting if you are a fan of 3D.

(emphasis added)

This leaves zero doubt that this film was composed for the wider 2:39:1 scope and protected for the taller 1.9:1 scope of IMAX. I'm skipping the IMAX and going for the Atmos.

Yeah, if Deakins says "I meant for it to look like this" then that's the way I'm gonna look at it.

edit: Oh shit, a No Country namedrop. NOW I'm starting to get antsy.

Yeah, if Deakins says "I meant for it to look like this" then that's the way I'm gonna look at it.

I've already reserved tickets with my dad to see it in IMAX next Thursday. I'll be seeing it that way first, but thanks to a mishap with a recent screening of Nausicaa that I went to, I've got a free ticket to see any movie of my choice at an AMC theater. Definitely going to use that for a second screening of Blade Runner.

Going back to a few days ago when we were talking about IMAX versus the wide 'scope ratio framing and which to see. Roger Deakins has spoken again:

(emphasis added)

This leaves zero doubt that this film was composed for the wider 2:39:1 scope and protected for the taller 1.9:1 scope of IMAX. I'm skipping the IMAX and going for the Atmos.
Definitely. Made the decision when this whole discussion started in this thread, it's the only way to fly.

I'm going into media blackout and unsubbing until I see the film, which because of business travel, probably won't be until Saturday after release!

See you on the flip side!

Toothless

Question for Blade Runner aficionados: I watched the Final Cut last Wednesday; my first experience ever with Blade Runner and I really enjoyed it. However, I see now that my AMC for one night only is showing the Final Cut on the big screen this coming Wednesday, and with MoviePass, that'd essentially be free for me. However, is it really a good idea to rewatch it so soon after my first time seeing it. I thought it was very good but not a masterpiece of the genre or anything. Still, I like seeing older movies on the big screen, so I don't know.

As for 2049, I plan on seeing that next Sunday. Really excited for it because Villeneuve is brilliant.

For those who aren't spoiler-phobic, this is what Eric Kohn, chief critic of IndieWire, tweeted about Blade Runner 2049 today. Don't click this unless you're okay with a brief phrase summarising the film's plot.

#BladeRunner2049 is essentially NO COUNTRY FOR OLD REPLICANTS. Astonishing neonoir candy. For once, believe the hype.

oneida

For those who aren't spoiler-phobic, this is what Eric Kohn, chief critic of IndieWire, tweeted about Blade Runner 2049 today. Don't click this unless you're okay with a brief phrase summarising the film's plot.

#BladeRunner2049 is essentially NO COUNTRY FOR OLD REPLICANTS. Astonishing neonoir candy. For once, believe the hype.

That wasn't the spoiler he posted.

So booked my IMAX seats for Monday 9th. In 3D which I would rather not see it in but was the only day I could go and was the only screening available.

For what its worth, he's saying now that he doesn't know what is or isn't out there in response to a direct question as to whether what he posted was a "major" spoiler, so he deleted it out of goodwill.

Which sounds to me like whatever it was, if it was anything, wasn't all that big, but he got rid of it just to be safe.

soundtest

Banned
Question for Blade Runner aficionados: I watched the Final Cut last Wednesday; my first experience ever with Blade Runner and I really enjoyed it. However, I see now that my AMC for one night only is showing the Final Cut on the big screen this coming Wednesday, and with MoviePass, that'd essentially be free for me. However, is it really a good idea to rewatch it so soon after my first time seeing it. I thought it was very good but not a masterpiece of the genre or anything. Still, I like seeing older movies on the big screen, so I don't know.

As for 2049, I plan on seeing that next Sunday. Really excited for it because Villeneuve is brilliant.

As someone who loves the film, i don't think watching it again will work. There's something about the final few ending sequences that tend to not land so well after it hits you hard the first time.

You're better served watching another cut of the film instead, like the OG cut/DC/Workprint

For what its worth, he's saying now that he doesn't know what is or isn't out there in response to a direct question as to whether what he posted was a "major" spoiler, so he deleted it out of goodwill.

Which sounds to me like whatever it was, if it was anything, wasn't all that big, but he got rid of it just to be safe.

It wasn't a big spoiler imo, if it is a legit spoiler.

Hard to know out of the context of the movie. I could see that being a big reveal.

Maybe they make a big reveal out of it, but I don't think it's all that big a spoiler, considering that
people figured as much since the day the guy was cast in the role. People were figuring this was the case in trailer threads months ago.

It wasn't a big spoiler imo, if it is a legit spoiler.
You can't say either way without context

Maybe they make a big reveal out of it, but I don't think it's all that big a spoiler, considering that
people figured as much since the day the guy was cast in the role. People were figuring this was the case in trailer threads months ago.
The word for that is speculation. There's kind of a difference

oneida

I miss the old me, ironically the younger me, that didn't know.

You can't say either way without context

That's a fair point. Like I said above, I personally don't think it's much of a spoiler as per the reasons in the spoiler tag (and I encourage anyone who doesn't want to see any potential spoilers to not look at those tags at all), but you're right. The context could make it a big deal, I guess.

The word for that is speculation. There's kind of a difference

Once again, fair enough.

I miss the old me, ironically the younger me, that didn't know.

Again, I'm sorry, man. :(

Top Bottom