• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Blade Runner 2049 impressions

Oh man, first twin peaks returns after 25 years and was a masterpeice, and now blade runner is returning after 35 years and seems to be masterpeice. 2017 is a good year for revivals.

Saw Blade Runner fully for the first time (Final Cut). Had tried to watch a few years ago, couldn’t finish it

- It moved faster than I had expected, and the slower parts and dialogue were never boring. I like the plot feels so very small and slice-of-life - just one story that could be happening among hundreds - while the world-building and details make the scope feel so much more grander
- The atmosphere and sense of place is still amazing today. Crowded, dank, claustrophobic decay, rundown and rain-drenched. A lot of cyberpunk depictions get some of those aspects - the rain, the neon, the decay - but Blade Runner has a realism and density that I think other depictions in film and games have failed to capture
- The naturalistic approach of the future and future tech is also very different from many other cyberpunk works I’ve seen and read. Most go very heavy on the augmentations and “high tech megacorp crushing the people”, while Blade Runner feels more realistic in its depiction of the future
- Rutger Hauer’s Roy was an excellent performance. Charming and cultured yet menacing and haunted. Ford as Deckard was great too, although I do have a soft spot for sci-if noir and characters like him
- I got to agree with the common criticism here: Deckard and Rachel’s romance felt completely unearned and had none of the emotional weight that the movie thought it had

Corpsepyre

Banned
Saw Blade Runner fully for the first time (Final Cut). Had tried to watch a few years ago, couldn’t finish it

- It moved faster than I had expected, and the slower parts and dialogue were never boring. I like the plot feels so very small and slice-of-life - just one story that could be happening among hundreds - while the world-building and details make the scope feel so much more grander
- The atmosphere and sense of place is still amazing today. Crowded, dank, claustrophobic decay, rundown and rain-drenched. A lot of cyberpunk depictions get some of those aspects - the rain, the neon, the decay - but Blade Runner has a realism and density that I think other depictions in film and games have failed to capture
- The naturalistic approach of the future and future tech is also very different from many other cyberpunk works I’ve seen and read. Most go very heavy on the augmentations and “high tech megacorp crushing the people”, while Blade Runner feels more realistic in its depiction of the future
- Rutger Hauer’s Roy was an excellent performance. Charming and cultured yet menacing and haunted. Ford as Deckard was great too, although I do have a soft spot for sci-if noir and characters like him
- I got to agree with the common criticism here: Deckard and Rachel’s romance felt completely unearned and had none of the emotional weight that the movie thought it had

I.....liked it when I first saw the film in 2007, but upon re-watches and more, I came to absolutely love it. It's now my favourite science fiction film. Watch the making off, by the way. It's called Dangerous Days, and it goes DEEP into the production, release and the aftermath. Brilliant docu.

This part specifically jumped out at me just recently while watching the Watanabe short. I think right around the point where the two Replicants were in the truck discussing what was about to go down, it sorta slammed into me that it was weird that the world of Blade Runner didn't just stop or shift in any real way because Deckard and Rachel exited the story. I mean, that's really fucking obvious of course, but while you're immersed in their little corner of that world, it seems really expansive and big and important. But the intimate scope of what Deckard is trying to do got brought back into relief by that moment in the short, for me.

I'm curious to see how Villeneuve/Green/Fancher reincorporate Deckard while also widening that scope.

I.....liked it when I first saw the film in 2007, but upon re-watches and more, I came to absolutely love it. It's now my favourite science fiction film. Watch the making off, by the way. It's called Dangerous Days, and it goes DEEP into the production, release and the aftermath. Brilliant docu.
What was added from the theatrical cut versus the Final Cut?

I had only ever seen the director's cut of Aliens, so hearing that the movie usually doesnt have the stuff about Ripley's daughter, pre-infestation Hadley's Hope, the sentry guns, etc just sounds completely weird. I can't imagine the movie without those moments, they feel so crucial to the plot

I wonder if Blade Runner would be the same

Corpsepyre

Banned
What was added from the threatical cut versus the Final Cut?

I had only ever seen the director's cut of Aliens, so hearing that the movie usually doesnt have the stuff about Ripley's daughter, pre-infestation Hadley's Hope, the sentry guns, etc just sounds completely weird. I can't imagine the movie without those moments, they feel so crucial to the plot

I wonder if Blade Runner would be the same

There's a lot of narration, and it's badly done too. There are a number of other differences as well, but I never watched the theatrical fully myself. The narration was killing it for me. The ending was also completely different and pretty Disney-esque, with Deckard and Rachel driving away in daylight. It was shit, honestly. Final Cut is what everyone needs to see, and the only cut as well.

Seriously, check out the docu. It's 3+ hours and there's a lot of good stuff in there.

EDIT: Give this a look as well. It's from the docu

BLADE RUNNER - All our variant futures, From workprint to final cut

AoM

And the apparent animosity between Ford and Young definitely didn't help.

Fiance took me to the cinema. It was a surprise showing of Blade Runner!

She's a keeper.

Jesus Christ, definetely. Please don't let her go lol.

Oh, regarding the romance between Rachel and Deckard: am I the only one who thought that scene looked like a rape of some kind? It made me really uncomfortable watching it :|

Oh, regarding the romance between Rachel and Deckard: am I the only one who thought that scene looked like a rape of some kind? It made me really uncomfortable watching it :|
Oh definitely, but then they play music that imparts a different tone and Deckard cares about her by the end

jett

D-Member
To the people mentioning spoilers, is it about
news of a certain character showing up?
There are no actual spoilers at all there, but I'm just being extra nice to the sensitive people. I read about it some time ago, shit I think it was posted here in another thread. Just want to know if that's it or do I have to be extra careful.

Anyway, what's funny about the narration in the theatrical cut is that there was always intended to be narration in the movie according to the shooting script, they simply never used any of the actual lines written by the actual screenwriters, for god knows what reason.

To the people mentioning spoilers, is it about
news of a certain character showing up?
There are no actual spoilers at all there, but I'm just being extra nice to the sensitive people. I read about it some time ago, shit I think it was posted here in another thread. Just want to know if that's it or do I have to be extra careful.

No, it was something else. But again, we don't know for sure if it was a legit spoiler or not.

Pretty sure this is the common consensus for GAFers.

HMD

You’ve seen The Thing, Die Hard, Alien and Aliens, though right?

no.

zdVn32A.gif

jett

D-Member
Yeah, I was wondering about this. I'm interested in watching the sequel, call me shallow but I just hate watching old movies.

Even if you some inexplicable aversion to old movies, Blade Runner looks like it was made yesterday.

217_4.jpg

217_6.jpg

217_10.jpg

217_13.jpg

And goddamnit, it's not that old. I'm as old as that movie is.

:|

I was waiting for impressions from indiewire, awesome to see how much Kohn liked it. If mans is saying stuff that strong about it then God damn this just might be great after all

WB has been killing it with stuff like mad max, Nolan movies and this now .

Even if you some inexplicable aversion to old movies, Blade Runner looks like it was made yesterday.

217_4.jpg

217_6.jpg

217_10.jpg

217_13.jpg

Dude, I love the og Blade Runner, but it definitely doesn't look like "it was made yesterday."

It looks timeless, absolutely. The shots, the effects all hold up. But it does not look like it was made yesterday- partially because of those effects. There's no CGI to be found anywhere in the film. There's a certain grit to the film stock and cameras from those late 70's/80's films that just isn't there in today's films- even the ones shot on film stock.

That's not to say it looks better or worse than modern films for it, but it absolutely has a different visual look to it than films made today.

jett

D-Member
I was waiting for impressions from indiewire, awesome to see how much Kohn liked it. If mans is saying stuff that strong about it then God damn this just might be great after all

WB has been killing it with stuff like mad max, Nolan stuff and this now .

This is more of an Alcon movie though right, WB is just acting as the domestic distributor.
Technically, this is an independent movie, as far as I understand.

Dude, I love the og Blade Runner, but it definitely doesn't look like "it was made yesterday."

It looks timeless, absolutely. The shots, the effects all hold up. But it does not look like it was made yesterday- partially because of those effects. There's no CGI to be found anywhere in the film. There's a certain grit to the film stock and cameras from those late 70's/80's films that just isn't there in today's films- even the ones shot on film stock.

That's not to say it looks better or worse than modern films for it, but it absolutely has a different visual look to it than films made today.

The Final Cut's teal tint actually gives it a highly modern look as far as I can see. :p I really only meant that it looks fucking great in all respects, and it isn't in any way dated.

HMD

It looks cool, I'll try watching it and try to ignore my prejudices.

I was hoping someone would say this so I wouldn't have to haha

The city flyover shots looked better than CGI would IMO. I wish we got shots like that today when we get futuristic cities in movies

The Final Cut's teal tint actually gives it a highly modern look as far as I can see. :p I really only meant that it looks fucking great in all respects, and it isn't in any way dated.

The teal tint certainly helps give it a wee bit more of a "modern" look, but it's still very clearly made from a different time period than today.

It's just that those wonderful effects and camerawork hold up today astoundingly well.

I was hoping someone would say this so I wouldn't have to haha

Heh. Glad to be of service, man.

The city flyover shots looked better than CGI would IMO. I wish we got shots like that today when we get futuristic cities in movies

I don't disagree with you. I prefer the look of practical effects myself! I think it'd be great to see more modern films rely on miniatures and models, rather than use CGI. But that's not the case these days and I doubt we'll ever see CGI fade away from these sorts of films in the future, even if we are seeing a resurgence in use of practical sets and effects too.

Yeah, I was wondering about this. I'm interested in watching the sequel, call me shallow but I just hate watching old movies.
Not even Star Wars?
Man, it's depressing hearing people call movies from the 80s too old. I was born in the 90s and I consider the 80s to be a golden age of cinema. You had Lethal Weapon, Die Hard, Alien, Terminator... There was just something about the cinematography that just made it feel... Magical.

This is more of an Alcon movie though right, WB is just acting as the domestic distributor.
Technically, this is an independent movie, as far as I understand.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/blade-runner-2049-behind-big-bet-by-alcon-a-sequel-1043128
Blade Runner 2049 cost a net $150 million to make, and was co-financed by Alcon and Sony (each committed to spend $90 million before rebates and tax incentives brought down the budget). Alcon owns the film; Sony will release it overseas and get a slice of the profits. Warners is handling the film domestically and will get a fee per its deal with Alcon. "We're confident Alcon has delivered another hit," Warner Bros. chairman-CEO Kevin Tsujihara says in a statement. Insiders say the movie will need to clear $400 million at the worldwide box office to be considered a win.

Interesting, I didn't know Sony was a co-financier, I thought they were just distributing the movie internationally. Guess Alcon covered their bases just in case.

That is an insane budget for this movie though.

Smart and crazy move for Alcon. Still can't believe they greenlit that $100M Point Break remake with a bunch of nobodies.

Also Blade Runner had a budget of $28M which adjusted for inflation is $71M.

i think the original holds up really well, minus a few of the action scenes (particularly the quick cut in the very first scene that is awkward).

that and the dialogue was inaudible at times while everything else was blowing my speakers out - although maybe that's a me problem.

Link

The Autumn Wind
So I’m definitely going to be seeing this and I want to rewatch the original first. However, I’m not sure if I should watch the Theatrical, Director’s, or Final Cut. Does anyone know which version the sequel takes into account?

Yeahh that scene is 100% not comfy. I imagine it was at the time supposed to be some kind of "wahh so passionate" thing that i guess didn't look as rapey in the 80's. Scene totally aged like shit and is honestly super creepy, and considering the movie seems to play it of as consentual and a beautiful scene or whatever i can only assume it was something that kinda didn't look too weird "at the time" for alot of people.

DirtyCase

So I'm definitely going to be seeing this and I want to rewatch the original first. However, I'm not sure if I should watch the Theatrical, Director's, or Final Cut. Does anyone know which version the sequel takes into account?

After watching the documentary that was posted earlier in this thread about all the different versions of the OG Blade Runner, from everything I've read, and my own personal experience I would strongly suggest the Final Cut.

Not only is it the most recent version by 15 or so years making use of the newer visual technology, but Ridely Scott's direct involvement with the process to me suggests that it was more in line with what he wanted to do when he was originally making the film. Luckily he didnt go all George Lucas with the original trilogy. The Final Cut mostly fixes some continuity errors while improving the general visual quality.

I've heard the voice over in the theatrical release version is kind of off putting and personally can't imagine it in the film. To me that might take away from the mood a bit.

Top Bottom