• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Denis Villeneuve in talks to direct Cleopatra for Sony Pictures

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
The unstoppable man is at it again.

The first social media reviews around the world on Blade Runner 2049 are calling the film a sci-fi masterpiece. Now, its director Denis Villeneuve is in discussions for one of Sony Pictures' highest profile pictures. Deadline hears that Villeneuve will re-develop to direct Cleopatra, the epic female empowerment story of one of history's most complex heroines. Based on the bestselling Stacy Schiff biography that is being produced by Scott Rudin and Amy Pascal, Cleopatra has seen the biggest filmmaker names circle this one including James Cameron, Paul Greengrass and David Fincher. Now, it's Villeneuve who has sparked to the challenge and in a week he might be the hottest guy out there.

So like is this guy just gonna be hired for big budget remakes and sequels from here on out

Not that I'm complaining for Dune's sake but man what a waste of his time making Cleopatra as well

Boem

Alright holy shit

This guy is going for the big shot now. Trying to go for that insane classic Hollywood madness.

I know he's doing well for himself but Denis, pace yourself man.

Assuming this has to do with this right here, the original Most Expensive Movie Ever Made:

cleopatre.jpg

This could be far more exciting to me than him doing Bond.

Slime

Banned
I'm still longing for the historical epic, sword & sandal, and western revivals that will never come, so I'll take it.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
All I can say is that I hope that this doesn't intervene with Dune being made.

Courage

So like is this guy just gonna be hired for big budget remakes and sequels from here on out

Not that I'm complaining for Dune's sake but man what a waste of his time making Cleopatra as well

Right, you'd think he'd wanna take a break or make something at a smaller scale but I assume he wouldn't helm these films if he wasn't interested in them himself.

pa22word

But seriously, should an Arab or a Greek play her?

Greek

I've never understood the backlash against someone light skinned playing her. She is literally the epitome of white imperialism, complete with incestual breeding to attempt and preserve the Greek blood and not mix with the local "savages". This weird historical rewrite as her being some local african hero has always been really anachronistic and misguided.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I'll be frank... the fact that this might make a Villeneuve Bond film not possible, pisses me off even more than Dune possibly being pushed back. I'm weak, I know...

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Eh. He would make me interested, but otherwise I'd rather him get behind something more original.

Isn't he reportedly a huge Dune fanboy? I doubt he'd push that off unless he really wanted to do something else first.
Both Deadline and Variety say the idea is he would work on redeveloping Cleopatra while Dune goes into production.

Wads

Banned
Because everyone is just clamoring for another movie about cleopatra....

Wish he would work on something else.

N21

Introducing Black Cleopatra, the sassiest queen to ever exist.

Teacher: You have a beautiful name, Cleopatra. Tell me how you got it?

Cleopatra: Mama always tell me I was a queen.

Teacher: Queen of what?

Cleopatra: Queen of kicking your ass for asking stupid questions, bitch.

Announcer: She's so sassy, you could cut the sass with a knife.

I want a Black Cleopatra movie now.

a916

Denis has earned the benefit of the doubt, what what you want and I'll be there day one.

Because everyone is just clamoring for another movie about cleopatra....

Wish he would work on something else.

I'm glad that he didn't listen to the "leave it alone" Bladerunner fans....

Top Bottom