• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Blade Runner 2049 impressions

MutFox

Banned
I stopped trusting the initial impressions,
as they hype up terrible movies...

Though I do trust Villeneuve.
That guy can direct.

Can't wait to see this movie.

y7CI3vN.gif
LOL

jett

D-Member
Damn son.

Villeneuve is unstoppable. My expectations are still in check though.

Any word on the muzak?

Jarmel

Banned
These initial impressions generally don't matter that much but the comments about the pacing/tone are interesting, if expected.

Holy crap, I have no problem to admit that my expectations were lower and lower after every new trailer.

These reviews are making me go...

SIIxeYB.jpg

I.CAN'T.WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're falling for IMAX's marketing bs. The film is not shot in Imax nor is it designed for it. The aspect ratio might be a little different but more != better unless it was intentionally designed.
Do we know Deakins / Villeneuve had no say in the DMR process?

Man, art doesn't become meaningful because of the circumstances of it's creation. It becomes meaningful because of the completed work, that's it. 'Lest we consider The Revenant the greatest film this decade (it's a bad movie).

There's any number of wonderful, meaningful, nuanced films coming out every year.

The circumstances and set conditions don't define the quality of a film, but they certainly affect it. This is well documented in Blade Runner's case. Nobody could make a film like Blade Runner today. It could never happen.

Ashhong

You're falling for IMAX's marketing bs. The film is not shot in Imax nor is it designed for it. The aspect ratio might be a little different but more != better unless it was intentionally designed.

Not sure how the filmmaking process works, but wouldn't whatever gets sent out from the studio/Denis be how it was intentionally designed? Or do the directors sometimes not have a say in that?

Trago

The fact that a lot of the impressions mention how visually stunning the movie is is reassuring. I never doubt Dennis as a filmmaker, but having the visuals stand up to the original is probably the hardest thing about making a Blade Runner sequel. Blade Runner's biggest contribution to film and pop culture is arguably the visual style.

I literally can't wait to see this movie!

Kibbles

It's gonna be like Skyfall where the AR will be opened up to 1.9:1

Ryan_OrangeDesert_Social_700x369.gif
This reminds me of watching the Transformers on my projector with friends, shit was annoying how every damn cut was a different aspect ratio in action scenes like wtf. Shit was awful and there were at least 3 different ratios.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
No need for this.

Both are amazing and talented filmmakers with their own distinctive styles.

I'm glad we have both.
I'm glad we have both as well.
Just because some of us believe one is better than the other doesn't mean there can be only one. This isn't highlander, yet.

Soda Mixer

Neo Member
Please let Blade Runner be a financial success or just slight disappointment instead of a bomb. I don't want anything standing in Denis' way to making the Dune film the world deserves.

With Movie pass, I'm considering going to see this 4-5 times in the theater to do my part. As a wise Ben once said: with great value comes great responsibility.

Jarmel

Banned
I'll just settle for this movie breaking even, if it's good. That by itself should be a momentous task considering the budget.

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
Do we know Deakins / Villeneuve had no say in the DMR process?

1.9:1 is not an aspect ratio common for IMAX. If the Deakins and Villeneuve wanted the story to be framed that way they would have done it. There is no reason why 1.9:1 couldn't be played on a regular theater screen. I think i'm fine with the cameras they used, it's more an aspect ratio/framing thing for me.

So It feels like either they are giving the short stick to regular theater goers, or to IMAX goers.

Code:
Camera
Alexa Mini 
Arri Alexa XT Studio
Open gate on the xt studio is 1.55:1 which looks like this
mNhsnRH.png

In closing, if your end goal is all the Blade Runner in your eyes that you can handle. You'll get more from the IMAX showing.

Roger Deakins when asked whether to see 2D or 3D:

We shot the film in 2D and in a wide screen format.

wide screen format

Take what you will from that. ;)

Regarding DMR:

We did NOT use the DMR process for the IMAX version of 'Blade Runner 2049'. I had experience testing this process when finishing 'Skyfall'. I didn't like the effect it was going to do with that film so we made our own transfer of 'Skyfall' for IMAX and everyone was very happy with the result.

Many films still go through the DI process as 2K files. I think many people would be surprise by some of the titles.

https://www.rogerdeakins.com/film-talk/blade-runner-2049-2d-or-3d/

mrkgoo

Sounds fucking great. Absolutely cannot wait.

This is dumb. Star Wars isn't going for the same thing as Blade Runner, not even remotely. Nor do I even understand what the "live-action Lego movie" dig is supposed to tell me... Because The Lego Movie is a fucking masterpiece.

Not to mention the Lego movie was kind of "live action" in that it was mimicking a stop motion style and actually had love action in it.

I think some people make comments not stopping to think what they're actually saying.

Maybe he meant "for kids", but you know, "duh".

My first time seeing that gif. What the hell?

Roger Deakins when asked whether to see 2D or 3D:

Take what you will from that. ;)

Regarding DMR:

https://www.rogerdeakins.com/film-talk/blade-runner-2049-2d-or-3d/
Deakins saying go to Dolby Cinema for it.

Deakins said:
Dolby Cinema is the best expierence to watch Blade Runner 2049:

-4K DCP
-Perfect black levels
-Dolby Vision HDR (this film is so colorful, this will be stunning)
-Dolby Atmos for the finishing touche.

I don't like 3D either:
-2K deliveries
-Less brightness
-Most 3D movies have DNR applied (wax effect)

I don't like (lie) IMAX as well:
-95% 2K deliveries
-Fake DMR process by IMAX

Top Bottom