• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Dragon Quest XI (PS4/3DS) screenshots

Takuan

More impressed by the 3DS screens than PS4 (they look good but on par with expectations). These'll be in my E3 pre-order bucket for sure.

Dig the Trunks-hair on the protag. Outfit's okay, maybe we'll be able to change it?

butman

3DS are bullshot as always. There's no way that it will look with that resolution.
Also it look like a Vita version T_T

bigmac996

I would like to disagree with that.

First of all, the opposite color to pretty much any shades of yellow is usually a blue shade, not purple like you said. You can test it if you want by inverting the values or by looking at a Color Circle/Grid/etc.

Furthermore, as we know, each tone/degree of the numerous colors has its own opposite in the color grid/circle/chart. The complementary color represents, usually, the opposite value of the chosen color (the light purple in this case). For exemple, the most common set of complementary colors are the blue and orange we see in almost any game, from Bloodborne to Dragon's Dogman to Resident Evil. Colors often chosen to portray dark areas or nighttime. As seen in the picture below...

dqxi_colors-comparisozip34.jpg

... the color green "booger" is perfectly fit to the chosen purple (which is not a pure purple) for the MC design. There might be a little difference in the tone/shade obtained, but the result is obvious. The art team did choose a proper color to match the purple coat/vest worn by the MC.

Wow haha, calm down man! Colour complements cover a spectrum of colours, so purple is yellow-green or yellow-orange, but the direct complement opposite purple on the colour wheel is yellow, without a doubt. It's basic colour theory.

What you're talking about is split-complementary. I was simply correcting the terminology. You're not totally incorrect, just the phrasing. Split-complementary colours together are less intense/ harsh as a direct complement, which is why it's often used in character design colours.

Mista

Banned
So damn beautiful! Even the 3DS version is amazing
Im curious to see the battle system from this pic:

55CB5FDD464ACA001A

coughlanio

PS4 version looks amazing. Really liking the discrete UI.

While I like the dual art-style gimmick of the 3DS version, surely it's a waste of artist effort and memory on the 3DS to go that way,

Gloam

So damn beautiful! Even the 3DS version is amazing
Im curious to see the battle system from this pic:

55CB5FDD464ACA001A

There was speculation before that the system may be similar to that of DQX. Given the developer overlap it could be the case. Menu based commands with direct movement control and the ability to push enemies around the battlefield.

Mista

Banned
There was speculation before that the system may be similar to that of DQX. Given the developer overlap it could be the case. Menu based commands with direct movement control and the ability to push enemies around the battlefield.

This will be awesome

Wait until you guys see it in motion before judging the PS4 version needs more stylized lines. It will look glorious.

SE is really about to turn it around, I think they are going to make a ton of money in the next two years. Squaresoft back? hmmmm....

rhandino

Banned
Wait, so for the 3DS version, will there be a little 2D display in the bottom screen? That would be cool if so.
The prologue will be like that, after that you choose if you want to continue playing 2D / 3D style (You can change that decision later ofc)...

They really went out of their way to please all the DQ fans in Japan =P

lemmykoopa

Quite interested in this. Though, aren't the DQ series known to be very long, grind-heavy games? Not interested in starting a 100 hour game.

entremet

Looks good.

Quite interested in this. Though, aren't the DQ series known to be very long, grind-heavy games? Not interested in starting a 100 hour game.

Nope.

Although 7 and 8 are quite longer than the usual for the games. But they're not Persona games lol. Also, not much need to grind. Use buff and debuffs wisely.

kagamin

The prologue will be like that, after that you choose if you want to continue playing 2D / 3D style (You can change that decision later ofc)...

There's nothing wrong with more choices! :)

Velcro Fly

I want the 3DS version so so bad. I feel like we'll get the PS4 version for sure.

But that 3DS version just looks so good.

Maximus.

That would be great, I really hope this isn't a classic turn based fighting environment.

kunonabi

Really not liking the environments on the PS4 version. They just seem to clash with the more cartoony monster and character models.

I would like to disagree with that.

First of all, the opposite color to pretty much any shades of yellow is usually a blue shade, not purple like you said. You can test it if you want by inverting the values or by looking at a Color Circle/Grid/etc.

Furthermore, as we know, each tone/degree of the numerous colors has its own opposite in the color grid/circle/chart. The complementary color represents, usually, the opposite value of the chosen color (the light purple in this case). For exemple, the most common set of complementary colors are the blue and orange we see in almost any game, from Bloodborne to Dragon's Dogman to Resident Evil. Colors often chosen to portray dark areas or nighttime. As seen in the picture below...

dqxi_colors-comparisozip34.jpg

... the color green "booger" is perfectly fit to the chosen purple (which is not a pure purple) for the MC design. There might be a little difference in the tone/shade obtained, but the result is obvious. The art team did choose a proper color to match the purple coat/vest worn by the MC.

Interesting! While they may be perfect compliments of each other on the color wheel, doesn't mean it is a good idea to have me staring at it the whole game. No biggie really, thats my only " gripe ". I'm sure at some point you can change clothes or something.

I won't even entertain the idea that this is not coming out west. You hear my Boyes / Sony! DON'T EVEN THINK OF LETTING THAT HAPPEN DAMNIT

rjc571

Banned

That's only for the prologue? Aww, I thought the entire game would be presented like that. Hype -1

It wouldn't be on PS4 if they weren't thinking about the west.

Big ol' smile over here

I had that feeling and first instinct. That there was a very good chance it was coming out over here, pretty much a certainty. But then you know people just kept banging on that " none have been localized lately " nail so it can put some doubts. But yeh ... i'm just saying, don't even think about it.

I really wish they would just go ahead and say yeah it is coming out West and currently being translated. I also don't want to wait 8-10-12 months for the game either. But I'm pretty certain that will be the case ... still sucks.

Think we see more at TGS?

would be shocking if they didn't blow the doors off the project(s) at TGS to be honest.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Is it the same story for both versions? Because I'm loving the look of both so much that I'm tempted to get both if it comes out here in North America.

The only Dragon Quest game I have played is VIII back in 2005. I am seriously thinking about playing the first three games. I imagine their Super Nintendo remakes were fan-translated ?

psykomyko

Looking really great.

If both versions come out to the west, I will be buying both for sure. If not, I will be happy with just the PS4 version. Can't wait!

Big ol' smile over here

I had that feeling and first instinct. That there was a very good chance it was coming out over here, pretty much a certainty. But then you know people just kept banging on that " none have been localized lately " nail so it can put some doubts. But yeh ... i'm just saying, don't even think about it.

I really wish they would just go ahead and say yeah it is coming out West and currently being translated. I also don't want to wait 8-10-12 months for the game either. But I'm pretty certain that will be the case ... still sucks.

Think we see more at TGS?

would be shocking if they didn't blow the doors off the project(s) at TGS to be honest.
I'm hoping VII 3DS is coming out soon to make the wait bearable.

Edit: hoping 8-4 are giving a hand with it but that's baseless speculation

Whoa, both versions look great.
I really like how crisp and clean this looks.

Is it the same story for both versions? Because I'm loving the look of both so much that I'm tempted to get both if it comes out here in North America.
Yeah, Horii said both versions have the same storyboard. I'm totally double dipping (potentially quadruple dipping if you count imports lol).

The only Dragon Quest game I have played is VIII back in 2005. I am seriously thinking about playing the first three games. I imagine their Super Nintendo remakes were fan-translated ?

Aeana provided a handy "best version" guide over in the Summer of Dragon Quest thread:

1 - mobile. Second choice for English players, GBC.
2 - mobile. Second choice for English players, GBC.
3 - mobile. Second choice for English players, SNES fan translation.
4 - mobile. Second choice for English players, DS. The mobile version is better for English players specifically because it restored the party chat cut from the DS version.
5 - PS2 with fan translation. Second choice, DS.
6 - SNES with fan translation. Second choice, DS.
7 - PSX is all you've got for English
8 - PS2
9 - DS

Links_fantasy

I really hope the 3DS version comes over. Jrpgs are selling pretty good in the West on the system and if they bring VII & VIII out first it would build the user base before XI. Also put Rocket Slime 3 on the freakin e'shop! I really want to play that game lol.

Top Bottom