• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Dragon Quest XI (PS4/3DS) screenshots

AgeEighty

Oh my god, I have never been so ready to throw away a year of my life and skip straight ahead in time than this game has made me.

jmaine_ph

Please come to America. That would be so dumb if this stays Japan only.
With the latest news that more Japanese developers want to bring their games west due to poor sales I think it will. I doubt this will sell poor but it's worth brining west for sure.

Tanston

If i were the sort of guy to post memes I think take my money would be appropriate. This looks better then I ever could have imagined.

Zonar

It gives me blue Dragon vibes and that's a great thing!
BD_001.jpg

MrV4ltor

Both versions look fantastic! I'll probably buy both to have one that invokes nostalgia on the go and one with gorgeous graphics for at home.

Holmes

Since you can see Drackies in the background in the battle screen, maybe there are no random encounters, but instead the enemies are all already on the map screen? And maybe there are seamless battle transitions like Star Ocean 5 and Tales of Zestiria.

Looks really great, although the contrast between the cartoony models and pseudo-realistic environments are a little unusual.

And i prefered the 3DS version lol...

this day one.

The dual screen mechanic would have still made me consider, but interest went out the window as soon as they announced that only the intro is simultaneous.

Looks great. A bit jarring that the characters and monsters are flat and the environments are realistic and have depth. Probably looks muuuuch better in motion.

Looks fantastic, Unreal is really pulling it off for Japanese devs.

I said it before, and i say it again, the PS4 version needs Cel-Shading. Right now those semi-realistic surroundings don't match the cartoony style of the chars and the monsters.

Other than that, looks awesome.

But some serious wow @ those 3DS screens, incredible ... are we sure this isn't n3DS only? At least it has to be n3DS enhanced.

And another thing i will gladly say again: BRING BOTH VERSIONS TO THE WEST!

artsi

I've never played Dragon Quest, but I love DBZ and Toriyama's style.

This will be the game to fix that.

There's something really funky with this and DQ:Builders, the monsters looks like they were superimposed on a background of some other game. Heck, everything looks strangely out of place to me for some reason.

Maybe its the black lines?

That's how DQ games are? Characters flat primary colors.. Terrain Textured .. all cloth primary colored.. And so on.

ALSO I LOVE HOW IT LOOKS.

Elios83

I said it before, and i say it again, the PS4 version needs Cel-Shading. Right now those semi-realistic surroundings don't match the cartoony style of the chars and the monsters.

Other than that, looks awesome.

But some serious wow @ those 3DS screens, incredible ... are we sure this isn't n3DS only? At least it has to be n3DS enhanced.

And another thing i will gladly say again: BRING BOTH VERSIONS TO THE WEST!

On the contrary I really like the contrast and the black outlines in the current style.

Vena

DQVIII was the same way. It still looks beautiful.

Was DQVIII this flat, I'm almost certain it wasn't but memory may be playing tricks on me? The 3DS version looks less flat but that's largely due to the nature of the beast.

That's how DQ games are? Characters flat primary colors.. Terrain Textured .. all cloth primary colored.. And so on.

I think this has more to do with how much the background has "increased" in detail and depth with time and advancements of hardware, while the characters/monsters have retained their stylized flat looks, and now it just looks weird for some reason, lol. I think cel-shading would help a lot to help them not be so contrasted.

Top Bottom