• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Dragon Quest XI (PS4/3DS) screenshots

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Wow this looks great. Have no doubts about this version of the game coming over at least. Hope they both do, 3DS is cool in its own way.

Nerokis

Ahh, looks so good.

The PS4/3DS approach is a genius move on SE's part. I know I won't be able to resist getting both versions.

55CB5FDD464ACA001A

Lickie Lickie Lickie POL-EE-NA-RE-PHUU!!

zeox

THOSE LIPS.

seeing that character makes me sad though, I want to make my own T_T. What's the chance of them doing a prologue type thing the same way they did with DQX, where you get to make a character after the prologue is over? (yes i know you create your prologue character in dqx)

AgeEighty

Was DQVIII this flat, I'm almost certain it wasn't but memory may be playing tricks on me? The 3DS version looks less flat but that's largely due to the nature of the beast.

VIII was about the same as this: cel-shaded characters, but with some slight 3D depth. I think there's more shading to the characters in XI than these screenshots make it look. You can see it with the Lips monsters, some.

I mean look at the characters in that dungeon shot; that's not really super flat cel shading.

Both versions look beautiful, although I'm still slightly put off by the clash between the environment and character models in the PS4 version.

It looks amazing... but also weird :eek:
I mean, it's like they're using different artstyles... ennemis looks cell shaded while the overworld seems to be semi-realistic with a weird lighting...

Both look great but I prefer the 3DS version. It has that perfect, charming DQ look to it. Something about the pseudo-realistic environments in the PS4 version doesn't quite suite me. I'm sure it'll grow on me though, but I was hoping for something more like Ni No Kuni for the PS4 version visually.

AgeEighty

Both look great but I prefer the 3DS version. It has that perfect, charming DQ look to it. Something about the pseudo-realistic environments in the PS4 version doesn't quite suite me. I'm sure it'll grow on me though, but I was hoping for something more like Ni No Kuni for the PS4 version visually.

If you look at some of the shots, especially the forest one, hyper realism isn't really what they're going for, just a very detailed version of a cartoon background. I think they're pulling it off nicely, it's just that some of the shots make it look more like they're going for stark realism.

Glass Rebel

Looks pretty impressive but somehow off. The environments and the models don't mesh that well. The 3DS version is better in that regard but that IQ reeks of bullshots.

It looks amazing... but also weird :eek:
I mean, it's like they're using different artstyles... ennemis looks cell shaded while the overworld seems to be semi-realistic with a weird lighting...

It's not really cell shaded, they Tony Hawk'd the characters I think. Black outlines and flat textures.

Goteki_45

Wow looks awesome, dat UE4 does a fine job.

Haven't played a DQ game since DQVIII, and I love that game

also is this going to be turn based or action slash?

Kandinsky

When I opened the thread the battle screen didnt load, and man that looks off as hell, I dont know. Enviroments look amazing tho.

The 3DS shots are bullshots to be sure, but I can already picture it on my actual 3DS screen and it has me salivating.

PS4 version looks ridiculous though. I can't wait for both. Hopefully we get a proper trailer at TGS and then a more in depth look at Jump Festa.

I refuse to play both versions. UGGHH

You probably won't need to.

Top Bottom